HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 8)

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 04:19 PM
OHLTG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section103 View Post
I'm beginning to see a pattern here.
You referring to the DeKort stuff?

Old
02-23-2013, 04:26 PM
Section103

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
You referring to the DeKort stuff?
Nah, just that every "issue" belongs to everyone else.

Seriously, OHLTG, I have no beef with you. I usually agree with your posts. I'm simply stating my opinion.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:29 PM
aresknights

"We'll trash talk til the sun comes up, but we know it's all in fun. You, on the other hand, trash the Spits and are quite serious about it. There's a difference.""

Well said, I'm not exclusive enough to rule a person out cause they cheer for the wrong team
What I don't get is the constant bashing and infighting he likes to engage in only to rip a person for saying things about his team with a lot less venom?

Old
02-23-2013, 04:34 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section103 View Post
Aren't you the one who doesn't rely on stats? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm sorry if I rustled your jimmies.

As a fan, and not an armchair GM, I simply stated my opinion. And my opinion is DeKort is not going to carry this team next season. I really hope I'm wrong, but right now I cringe with him in net.

Sure, the team in front of him hasn't been the best and has hung him out to dry on occasion, but the same could be said for him. A good goalie gives his team a chance to win, even in bad situations.

Stats aside, he does not look comfortable in net. His rebound control is bad. His positioning is questionable. Maybe the communication problems you mention are on him? Normally I'm ice level, but with my wife's recent surgery, I've got a chance to watch from a suite. Different perspective, and my opinion of DeKort has actually worsened.

I really hope he can pull it together, but like the Leafs, we need some veteran guidance in goal.

Just my opinion as a STH and fan.

I think the jury is still out on DeKort,after all he is only 17,1st year in the league
Windsor was offensively challenged during the 1st half of season,was relflected
in the number of goals they scored when Dekort started,fast forward to now,especially the last 18 games,injuries to the defense,suspensions,have gutted this team,a team that can score more but allows more grade A chances because their
2 best D who separately would eat up 25 minutes plus a game,have been out of the lineup,the team has been forced putting players in spots where they are ill suited because of experience and or skill set,ie Murphy only 17 good off skills weak defensively,small sized forced to play top 4 minutes,same now with Sanvido,only 16,may have hit a wall but forced to play top 4 minutes,Vail moved back because 3
D-men out,Bowen becomes your 5th guy,Brown because of games restrictions re being on a B card cant play all the time despite showing some nice promise,Ebert by acclamation becomes your best D, and while at times he has improved being shoved in the No 1 role is ill suited for his skill set better served as a 3-4 guy,his offense has dipped only 1 pt in his 10 games
My point is both goalies cant be fully faulted for what has occurred especially Dekort
Team play especially as it relates to defensive schemes has been affected by the injuries etc,its become a domino effect forwards included in that mix as well
Pavelka to me despite my reasoning has checked out mentally,which has not helped
Both goalies for the most part played better during the 1st half
Does Dekort need to work on things absolutely,so does Pavelka too but for the most
the reasons above reflect the difficulties the goalies have had to endure
What galls me more would to have given up in from him or Pavelka
That is inexcusable no matter how bad things have been and are still

Old
02-23-2013, 04:42 PM
Section103

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I think the jury is still out on DeKort,after all he is only 17,1st year in the league
Windsor was offensively challenged during the 1st half of season,was relflected
in the number of goals they scored when Dekort started,fast forward to now,especially the last 18 games,injuries to the defense,suspensions,have gutted this team,a team that can score more but allows more grade A chances because their
2 best D who separately would eat up 25 minutes plus a game,have been out of the lineup,the team has been forced putting players in spots where they are ill suited because of experience and or skill set,ie Murphy only 17 good off skills weak defensively,small sized forced to play top 4 minutes,same now with Sanvido,only 16,may have hit a wall but forced to play top 4 minutes,Vail moved back because 3
D-men out,Bowen becomes your 5th guy,Brown because of games restrictions re being on a B card cant play all the time despite showing some nice promise,Ebert by acclamation becomes your best D, and while at times he has improved being shoved in the No 1 role is ill suited for his skill set better served as a 3-4 guy,his offense has dipped only 1 pt in his 10 games
My point is both goalies cant be fully faulted for what has occurred especially Dekort
Team play especially as it relates to defensive schemes has been affected by the injuries etc,its become a domino effect forwards included in that mix as well
Pavelka to me despite my reasoning has checked out mentally,which has not helped
Both goalies for the most part played better during the 1st half
Does Dekort need to work on things absolutely,so does Pavelka too but for the most
the reasons above reflect the difficulties the goalies have had to endure
What galls me more would to have given up in from him or Pavelka
That is inexcusable no matter how bad things have been and are still
Agree with everything you said. I'm not faulting DeKort (or Pavs). I can criticize every player on this team in any given game.

But from what I've witnessed, DeKort is pretty far away from being a starter -- that is just my opinion. Players play differently in front different goaltenders -- pure stats don't matter when it comes to that.

It's no secret that I fault the coaching/training staff more than anything this season, but that would be obviously difficult to change.

Above all, I'm a fan first

I'll leave the analytical stuff to you guys.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:45 PM
OHLTG

Stats aren't the be-all and end-all of a player, I agree, but with DeKort, it seems that people want to jump on him for some reason when the numbers haven't lied. He's done very well despite a lack of offence in the first half and having a forward needed to play defence in the second. Throw in the fact he's 17 and in his first full season and I don't believe he's being given a fair shake. Is he THE man next season? If we go for the Cup, probably not; not because of his talent level, but his experience. You would want someone seasoned splitting games with him (as close to 50/50 as possible). If we don't get the Cup, he has to be the man next season and sink or swim.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:48 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Stats aren't the be-all and end-all of a player, I agree, but with DeKort, it seems that people want to jump on him for some reason when the numbers haven't lied. He's done very well despite a lack of offence in the first half and having a forward needed to play defence in the second. Throw in the fact he's 17 and in his first full season and I don't believe he's being given a fair shake. Is he THE man next season? If we go for the Cup, probably not; not because of his talent level, but his experience. You would want someone seasoned splitting games with him (as close to 50/50 as possible). If we don't get the Cup, he has to be the man next season and sink or swim.
Good post,agree with everything u said especially your last point

I have taught u well lol

Old
02-23-2013, 05:01 PM
Section103

Quote:
Agreed. It was basically what I was saying, maybe in not so many words.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Libbs

There's so much passive aggression here I could make a sandwich!

Old
02-23-2013, 05:50 PM
Section103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
There's so much passive aggression here I could make a sandwich!
...or write a book. The problem with message boards et al... context and (mis)interpretation

Old
02-23-2013, 09:25 PM
RayzorIsDull

I think the issue with DeKort is the fact it took to this point for him to get ice time and experience. It's important he's getting experience but with the lack of effort in front of him and the lack of any systems being played he's being hung out to dry and we none of us can tell if he's the answer or not. Would have liked to see more of him when the games meant something.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:45 AM
SpItFiReZ

DeKort right now is an issue of Windsor and their development.

Look at Fotinos in Barrie. He was there last year, developing behind Niederberger. Charlie Graham behind Subban etc.

Playing JR B was great for Dekort until around Christmas time. Kill the kid with games until after the break. Then let him come up and learn in the OHL every day. Better shooters, better plans, better everything. That's how you get a true gauge.

What happened with DeKort this year is what should have happened last year (aside with some JR B time). This comes back to proper development and Windsor hasn't been doing so well in that the last year or two.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:58 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpItFiReZ View Post
DeKort right now is an issue of Windsor and their development.

Look at Fotinos in Barrie. He was there last year, developing behind Niederberger. Charlie Graham behind Subban etc.

Playing JR B was great for Dekort until around Christmas time. Kill the kid with games until after the break. Then let him come up and learn in the OHL every day. Better shooters, better plans, better everything. That's how you get a true gauge.

What happened with DeKort this year is what should have happened last year (aside with some JR B time). This comes back to proper development and Windsor hasn't been doing so well in that the last year or two.
I agree with most of this. Last year Campbell was going to be #1 until he was moved. The Spits continued to trot out Cullen as an OA for some odd reason because Cullen wasn't good at all last year. Then when it was evident Cullen couldn't help the team it was the Pavelka show. Now DeKort is finally getting a chance when the season is all but done, the games mean so little, and the team in front of him couldn't care less. I don't think the organization has much faith in DeKort to be honest with you. It's just hope at this point. Sadly there haven't been many top forwards for the Spits to develop so they can continue to play Rychel and Koko 30 minutes a game.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:26 AM
Sec108

Lets just hope that Boug/rychel address the issue of players quitting on this team as the Star article stated on Sat.

Hopefully those players get moved in the off season.Can't see hosting in 14 with these types on the team.A new culture is needed and another rebuild, cant see much way out.Its one thing to be losing and not in playoffs but just watching palyer interactions even in warm up's you can see this group is not together.No camraderie here.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Spitsfan67*

This is just pathetic, there all just going thru the motions... I mean The whalers could easily have 3 or 4 but pav is havin a solid game so far and is giving them a chance to win, but I do know the chances of winning are very slim when you get 4 shots in a period and give up 17.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:49 PM
SpItFiReZ

Plymouth is good. Big, fast, physical. My favourite to win the league.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:31 PM
OHLTG

A little confidence goes a long way. The team was down after the first, being brutally out-shot, but didn't believe in this "giving up" stuff. Even after Plymouth made it 5-4, the team didn't give up. This was a character win on the back of a huge performance in the first by Pavelka.

Aleardi with five points leads the way. Vail with the game winner. Sure, there were some defensive breakdowns and poor penalties, but when you can take it on the chin like that in the first, and come back to win, it says a lot about this team.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:41 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
A little confidence goes a long way. The team was down after the first, being brutally out-shot, but didn't believe in this "giving up" stuff. Even after Plymouth made it 5-4, the team didn't give up. This was a character win on the back of a huge performance in the first by Pavelka.

Aleardi with five points leads the way. Vail with the game winner. Sure, there were some defensive breakdowns and poor penalties, but when you can take it on the chin like that in the first, and come back to win, it says a lot about this team.
I would agree nice bounce back after a bad 1st period and an even worse game before
Aleardi was magic all game,good game by Clark,Percy chips in with 2 assists,quiet 3 pt game for Rychel,Pavelka was fine but dopey on the last second at the end of the 2nd period to make it 4-3 Windsor
One can really see the absence of Seiloff and Koeokkoek and to a lesser extent Bateman
Whales talented offensively but no great def and in goal,they will try to beat teams
with their offense only

Old
02-24-2013, 04:43 PM
OHLTG

I'd love to see a London/Plymouth series; offence and size versus offence and speed. Plymouth looked weak defensively today and neither goaltender was on his game, but they have that offence that can score several every game. We say this every year, but maybe, for once, they can make noise come April/May?

Old
02-24-2013, 04:56 PM
Ottomatic

Aleardi is good enough to play pro hockey somewhere. Hopefully Ho-Sang is watching Aleardi and Khokhlachev closely to pattern his game off them. Too bad both will be gone next year.

Why did the Spits wear the Renaud jerseys today?

Old
02-24-2013, 05:58 PM
Sec108

Nice team effort today,no quitters visible out there.Have to agree Otto, would love to have 5 Aleardi's out there.Hope some scouts are watching this kid.There's no quit in his vocabulary.Great leader also.too bad he's an OA.

Also shows what can be done when you get pucks to the net.Hope Bougie has them watch video of this game today.

Bateman's parents were with him watching in the stands today.Why is Bateman sitting is it an injury???? Didnt really hear.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:06 PM
Ottomatic

^Bateman has a concussion.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:13 PM
Sec108

Ok thx for the info.A concussion along with Marchese.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:16 PM
RayzorIsDull

I wish Windsor had more guys like Aleardi. I wasn't surprised Plymouth came back especially with that late goal in the 2nd period, Johnson was soft and just tried to stick check and Pavelka was out to lunch it seemed. The surprise was Windsor came back when they were down 5-4. It's a shame they saved this for when the season was done after the loss on Monday.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:22 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I wish Windsor had more guys like Aleardi. I wasn't surprised Plymouth came back especially with that late goal in the 2nd period, Johnson was soft and just tried to stick check and Pavelka was out to lunch it seemed. The surprise was Windsor came back when they were down 5-4. It's a shame they saved this for when the season was done after the loss on Monday.
I agree with everything u wrote,especially your last statement

Closed Thread