HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Rolston / Future Head Coach Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 02:49 AM
Squantosawuss

vCash: 500

'Nuff said.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:23 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Is there any interest in Boughner?

Old
02-23-2013, 03:41 AM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz28 View Post
So your saying now that the problem is gone, here we come playoffs? It seems to me if he was the only problem, then the new coach should fix everything, right?

btw, that was a VERY original hf response.
There's a shock, quotes 1 post in a long sequence, puts words in the posters mouth and then critizes the person after for something they didn't say. Think it's about time you get the Bucky treatment and I just move to a new article. Bye.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:23 AM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

Guided the Amerks to a 36-26-10-4 record and a berth in the Calder Cup Playoffs in 2011-12, his first season behind the Rochester bench
A 2011 Bob Johnson Award recipient, which recognizes excellence in international competition during a season
A three-time gold-medal winner at the International Ice Hockey Federation U-18 World Championships in 2005, 2009 and most recently in 2011
During the 2010-11 season, he led Team USA to titles in the 2011 Five Nations Tournament and in the 2010 Four Nations Cup
Led the U.S. National Under-17 team to the 2009-10 campaign World Hockey Challenge title, its first since 2002
In 2008-09, led the U.S. National Under-18 Team to first-place finishes at both the 2008 Men’s Under-18 Four Nations Cup in Lake Placid, N.Y., and 2009 Under-18 Five Nations Tournament in Sweden
Also served as HC coach for the U.S. National Junior Team on two occasions, helping Team USA to a bronze medal at the 2007 IIHF World Junior Championship in Sweden
Led Team USA to a silver medal at the 2007 IIHF U-18 tournament
Won NCAA National Championships in 1992 and 1994 with Lake Superior State University, a team he also guided to three straight appearances in the NCAA National Championship game and four CCHA tournament titles in his five-year stint
Perhaps the most decorated coach in NTDP history, Rolston-led teams have never missed the championship game in either of the major NTDP tournaments, the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge and International Ice Hockey Federation World Under-18 Championship. In the 4 IIHF U-18 Championships that he his teams have competed in, they have brought home 3 golds and a silver medal.
(from wiki)

Rolston deserves a chance. All he has done is win championships and medals. My only concern is that he doesn't have experience with older players, but if the plan is to blow up the team and do an honest rebuild with younger players anyway, then where's the harm?

Old
02-23-2013, 12:03 PM
joshmo65

Old
02-23-2013, 01:17 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
came in here was expecting this:

Dear god. It's a good thing Chelios became an NHL player because the guy looks 100% like a serial killer rapist.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:53 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
There's a shock, quotes 1 post in a long sequence, puts words in the posters mouth and then critizes the person after for something they didn't say. Think it's about time you get the Bucky treatment and I just move to a new article. Bye.
Wth are you talking about, what the heck am I supposed to extrapolate from, "Yes, I watch the games", as a response to "was Lindy absolutely the problem"? Then why would it be wrong to surmise that getting a new coach fixes the problem?? He had an opportunity to expand his point, and didn't. Look, I don't care if you like my posts, and maybe you think it's chic to make yourself look better than other people by announcing you're going to ignore them. Frankly, I don't give a crap. There's a few holier than though attitudes on here I'd rather not discuss things with, but I don't make it public, I just don't respond to them is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post

Rolston deserves a chance. All he has done is win championships and medals. My only concern is that he doesn't have experience with older players, but if the plan is to blow up the team and do an honest rebuild with younger players anyway, then where's the harm?
I also believe Rolston deserves a chance, I just think it's too soon.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:11 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:

I agree. I think that is why you will see him replaced with the actual head coach next season unless he stands on his head, so to speak, this season. At least that is what I hope will happen.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:31 PM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

A couple of days in and I really think his a very different coach, far more analytical, far more of a tactician. Bright guy imho. Going to take some time to adjust. I like the fact that his made negative and positive comments so far, seems honest. Very interested to see what happens in this game tonight.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
I would not be opposed to him taking the C away and giving Pommer an A, and just rolling with 3 As. It sends a message--even the best players on the team are going to have to earn every little thing.
pretty ballsy and unrealistic move to do for a coach that has been in the NHL for 3 days don't you think? I wouldn't mind a change in leadership though but that is more of a offseason move.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:51 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Absolutely and I think Regier knows that. It reeks of a rebuild effort to me. Bring in a guy some of the young kids are familiar with to help groom them along for the rest of the season. Then find a grade-A coach in the off season.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:59 PM
Prospero
Rookie User

Hoping Rolston the best, and hope that Lindy is a winner.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:35 PM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
Jon Cooper
although Rolston is really really growing on me. I like his style.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:39 PM
Prospero
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
pretty ballsy and unrealistic move to do for a coach that has been in the NHL for 3 days don't you think? I wouldn't mind a change in leadership though but that is more of a offseason move.
I'm not sure that it's either ballsy, or unrealistic. Offseason moves are more appropriate in season, nowadays, imo. But I agree with your premise that the Sabres haven't been given enough time to right the ship. I think they'll get it turned around.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:52 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Absolutely and I think Regier knows that. It reeks of a rebuild effort to me. Bring in a guy some of the young kids are familiar with to help groom them along for the rest of the season. Then find a grade-A coach in the off season.
This won't be popular, and I'm not claiming it's true, but I have a conspiracy theory(again not saying it's truth). People roasted me for questioning the timing of this decision, but think about it. If he fires Ruff when a good coach had become available, picks him up, and nothing changes, it looks worse for Regier than if he just brings in Rollie to fail. Then he(DR) just blames the players, and re-shuffles the deck(chairs). Just something to think about.

I think your idea of him bringing in a youth coach is much more likely, as my 3rd disclaimer, just tossing it out there.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:01 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Is there any interest in Boughner?
He's intriguing but I'm not sure he wants to leave Windsor, even if a pile of money is thrown at him. He seems to genuinely love what he's currently doing.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:07 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
He's intriguing but I'm not sure he wants to leave Windsor, even if a pile of money is thrown at him. He seems to genuinely love what he's currently doing.
How about Houda then. Has ties to us?

Old
02-23-2013, 10:41 PM
Ace1963

Quote:
This won't be popular, and I'm not claiming it's true, but I have a conspiracy theory(again not saying it's truth). People roasted me for questioning the timing of this decision, but think about it. If he fires Ruff when a good coach had become available, picks him up, and nothing changes, it looks worse for Regier than if he just brings in Rollie to fail. Then he(DR) just blames the players, and re-shuffles the deck(chairs). Just something to think about.

I think your idea of him bringing in a youth coach is much more likely, as my 3rd disclaimer, just tossing it out there.
That's exactly what Muckler did when he brought in Ted Nolan. He was going for Joe Thornton.

But it all blew up in his face.
Fortunately for Regier, Rolston really is an awful coach.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:56 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
Jon Cooper
although Rolston is really really growing on me. I like his style.
I wasn't high on Rolston from what I was hearing from Rochester, and the regression of Adam and McNabb, although there might have been directives to develop certain players with more icetime etc. He might still turn out to be decent, but right now it's all talk. Like his attitude, but it's gotta translate in this half season to improved effort (if not results).

Of course the catch-22 is improved effort on this team would likely lead to improved results and ruin the draft position...because this team isn't completely devoid of talent. There are still enough talented players where with a little bit of effort, they'd win games. Even as bad as they've been, how many games have been 1 or 2 goal games (excluding empty netters)? They'd likely win some of those playing up to their potential.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:15 PM
MessierII

Ted Nolan?

Old
02-24-2013, 01:28 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Ted Nolan?
No?

Old
02-24-2013, 10:12 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post

He wasn't reading off the paper because he hasn't learned to read yet (when it was made)

Old
02-24-2013, 10:39 PM
joshjull

Myself and Jame as co-head coaches.

Passion and intensity from the bench will not be an issue. Although most of it will be directed at each other.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:41 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Myself and Jame as co-head coaches.

Passion and intensity from the coaches will not be an issue. Although most of it will be directed at each other.
Then you would need to get Bucky Gleason (the writer, not the board member) to be the new GM

Old
02-25-2013, 08:44 AM
Best in the World

Rehire Ted Nolan?

Would Nolan be able to come back as Buffalo's head coach? If he was offered the job, would he?

In my opinion, Ted is one of the best coaches out there. (Adams award winner when he coached the Sabres). He really knows how to get a team going especially young players, which would be great for Grigorenko.
Thoughts?

Closed Thread