HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

2013 NHL TV Ratings

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 11:47 AM
Wingsfan2965*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkals View Post
Apples and oranges. The best hockey players in the world play in the States. The best soccer players in the world play in Europe.
Then wouldn't they be watching those leagues?

I agree with you about the talent being spread out, but there's still a point to be made that they'd be watching the best league, and I believe other soccer leagues do have TV deals in the States.

Perhaps another example would work better. Not as many people played football when they were kids as people who played basketball. Yet obviously the popularity level of the two in the U.S. is a wide gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelef View Post
MLS is already 5th and averages over 18000 .
Average ticket price is about $26, and that's with half as many home games as the NHL and NBA.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:33 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
The NHL is competing against the MLS, there is no domestic sports league that can compete against the EPL, La Liga, Bundsliga, etc. so it's not worth comparing to.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Not that interested in US tv ratings but since NBC has the EPL as of next season, I hope they manage to get a Sunday double header of ManU vs Liverpool/Chelsea/Arsenal/Chelsea and the battle of Pennsylvania.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Azkals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Then wouldn't they be watching those leagues?

I agree with you about the talent being spread out, but there's still a point to be made that they'd be watching the best league, and I believe other soccer leagues do have TV deals in the States.

Perhaps another example would work better. Not as many people played football when they were kids as people who played basketball. Yet obviously the popularity level of the two in the U.S. is a wide gap.
They do watch. You could argue that soccer is the 2nd most popular sport. Have you seen the ratings for the World Cup? Insane.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
They do watch. You could argue that soccer is the 2nd most popular sport. Have you seen the ratings for the World Cup? Insane.
I've seen the ratings for Summer and Winter Olympic sports that become relevant once every four years too, but I don't claim that Cross-Country skiing and synchronized diving are popular sports...

Old
02-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
I've seen the ratings for Summer and Winter Olympic sports that become relevant once every four years too, but I don't claim that Cross-Country skiing and synchronized diving are popular sports...

Now how did we ever get into the topic of soccer?? who's the one responsible for first bringing up soccer?? i'm too lazy to go back and check who was the 1st person to bring up soccer.. this man needs to be suspended for 1 day from this site. now lets pls get back to talking about the real sport for men in hockey and not that boring sleeper soccer that no one in america likes to watch..

now back to tv ratings.. when the hell are they going to tell us that hawks tv rating from last night. i'm dying here. i need to know.. i've been pacing the room up and down the last 4 hrs..

Last edited by Major4Boarding: 02-24-2013 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Not needed
Old
02-23-2013, 01:12 PM
Azkals

Quote:
That's irrelevant. The World Cup is a soccer-specific tournament. Olympics is much broader. Champions League gets decent ratings too.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
How is that an excuse? A soccer tournament is one of the most popular sporting events in the United States and your excuse is *insert random sport in Olympics* also gets good ratings, thus that said sport is popular too. You guys are making the excuses, not me.
If you can't see why "Because this once-every-four-year-event does good ratings, it defines the popularity of the sport day in and day out" is a garbage argument, I can't help you.

By the way, try reading in context. My point never was that Cross country skiing and synchronized diving were popular, it was actually the opposite. The point was they're popular once every four years, just like soccer. (Granted, soccer is more popular than them day-to-day, but still virtually irrelevant nonetheless) And the rest of the year they're relatively irrelevant.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:51 PM
MJMazzarone
#AnyonebutNYR

I'm not sure if it's buried within the other pages but does anyone know what the local/national ratings have been for the Devils this season so far?

Old
02-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Azkals

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMazzarone View Post
I'm not sure if it's buried within the other pages but does anyone know what the local/national ratings have been for the Devils this season so far?
http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=655380

Old
02-23-2013, 03:39 PM
Jax1166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
The ratings in Chicago are staggering and it is causing concern with the NBA as the Hawks are scoring well on Chicago's affluent north shore.

I found it fascinating that Bill Wirtz KNEW not televising home games was wrong but he claimed that his farther (Arthur) made him promise he would not do it.

Ratings in Boston are also sky high this season.

The NHL will never surpass the NBA on a national level but in many head to head local markets hockey wins and in a few markets the NHL drove the NBA out ( Buffalo - St. Louis for example)

Bottom line is there is no fan backlash from the lockout in the hardcore hockey markets in the US.
Proof please.
Also can somebody post NBA ratings per market so we can have a comparison?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mannings1cup View Post
You could make the argument that the Revolution were more popular than the Bruins from 05-07.
Easily true. The Bruins were completely irrelevant until game 6 of the 2008 series.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:51 PM
WhatThePuck
"Shoots Wide" !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
Proof please.
This was posted a few pages ago if that helps(bolded Bruins part)

Quote:
season almost complete, local household ratings for the Chicago Blackhawks' games on Comcast SportsNet Chicago are up 68%; ratings for the Washington Capitals on Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic are up 17%; ratings for the San Jose Sharks on Comcast SportsNet California are up 20%; and ratings for the Philadelphia Flyers on Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia are up 6%, according to Nielsen data.

The ratings on the Fox regional sports nets that carry NHL games are up even more. Household ratings for Fox Sports Midwest, which televises the St. Louis Blues games, are up 202%; the Florida Panthers on Fox Sports Florida, up 182%; Minnesota Wild on Fox Sports North, up 170%; the Phoenix Coyotes on Fox Sports Arizona, up 133%; and the Los Angeles Kings on Fox Sports West, up 116%.

Ratings for the New York Rangers on MSG are up 229%; New York Islanders on MSG Plus, up 122%; and the New Jersey Devils on MSG Plus, up 121%. Ratings for the Boston Bruins on NESN are up 115%.

Ratings for 21 NHL teams with games televised on regional sports networks in the U.S. are cumulatively up 76%, while ratings on the Fox RSNs are up 108%.

Viewership is also doing well for the NHL's national telecasts. So far, through 12 national telecasts that have been on NBC Sports Network, viewership is up 36% compared to a similar 12-game period last season. The three Wednesday Night Rivalry games have produced three of the top five most-watched regular season games in the cable network's history, including when it was named Versus.

On the NBC broadcast network, the first four games of this season have averaged a 1.1 household rating, up 22% from last season. The NBC games are also averaging 1.37 million viewers, up 36% from last season.

A spokesperson for NBC Sports says, "Sponsors and other advertisers migrated back to the NHL telecasts quickly and they are delighted with the returns to date."

All NHL official sponsors are advertising on NBC. Among the leading marketers are Discovery, Honda, Geico and Bridgestone.

Regional sports network sales execs can't be happier, knowing that things could have played out very differently.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Azkals

Quote:
Proof please.
This is from a couple years ago.. http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2010...r-nba-mlb-and/

Old
02-23-2013, 04:08 PM
2mannings1cup

Doakes is absolutley correct about the Bruins. No one gave a **** about them before the epic game 6 vs Montreal in 2008. They were buried by the Sox, Pats, and Celts.

They are significantly more popular than the Celtics at this moment. On the radio yesterday Felger was saying Celtics ratings are down 35% from last season.

From the start of the season till Feb. 15 the bruins are averaging 7.0.
http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/...#axzz2LlKjic69

Old
02-23-2013, 04:46 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
I've already explained this a bunch of times. Trying to compare the NHL and MLS is apples and oranges. All the best hockey players play in the NHL. All the best soccer players play in a hundred different leagues all around the world. Americans care about soccer, not necessarily MLS. If you think soccer is less popular than hockey in the US, you're delusional.
I never disagreed that they weren't spread out across leagues.

I said it's not as popular as hockey.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:52 PM
2mannings1cup

Well I haven't seen any MLS local ratings, but the Bruins were drawing peanuts.

2002 MLS cup got 60,000+ at Gillette Stadium.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:19 PM
Azkals

Quote:
I never disagreed that they weren't spread out across leagues.

I said it's not as popular as hockey.
No you didn't say that.

Quote:
You seem to vastly misunderstand the point. When their actual leagues don't do crap ratings, let me know.

****. The MLS Cup Final had a lower rating than what the NHL on NBC regular season AVERAGES. Newsflash, Americans couldn't give a rip about soccer, even less so than they do about hockey. Get over it.
Why are you even referring to a game, in a league, which isn't even in the top 10 of the world. That would be like saying, well the ECHL championship got terrible ratings in the US, I guess no one in the US likes hockey.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:08 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
And that's LA we're talking here. where soccer is pretty big amongst the large mexican community.
While there is obviously a portion of the fan base that is Mexican...it's a small one.

Most Mexican fans in LA haven't change allegiances - they've stuck with the teams they've always rooted for in Mexico. The ones that have switched/aligned with a local team went with Chivas LA, which specifically exists to market to SoCal's large Spanish-speaking population.

I don't know what a MLS debate is doing going on here, but it's pretty pointless. The MLS is growing in popularity greatly, but that growth has happened in the stands, not on television. Unless you're a die-hard fan people just don't want to watch a mediocre league on TV. I'll probably go to more Galaxy games than I'll watch on TV this year...but I'll watch Tottenham and Team USA when they're on.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
02-23-2013, 06:28 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

No one giving a **** about the Bruins before Game 6 of 2008 or whatever is the same as noone gave a **** about the Celtics before 2008 and the same for the Pats before in 2001..

Old
02-23-2013, 07:07 PM
Heyoooo*

For such a big hockey area, always been surprised by Boston's mediocre attendance and fandom for the Bruins up until the 2011 Cup.

Chicago I can see because of Dollar Bill Wirtz' insanely idiotic policies/not being televised, etc. The Hawks were always a big draw throughout their history though, especially the early 90s.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:28 PM
81ragnaH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyoooo View Post
For such a big hockey area, always been surprised by Boston's mediocre attendance and fandom for the Bruins up until the 2011 Cup.

Chicago I can see because of Dollar Bill Wirtz' insanely idiotic policies/not being televised, etc. The Hawks were always a big draw throughout their history though, especially the early 90s.
The Bruins attendance and fandom was outstanding until the mid 90's. A perfect storm of events drove the fans away...the team went down the standings after the Neely cheapshot/retirement, the Boston Garden closed and that sterile new building opened, Fred Cusick retired, and JJ/Sinden got really really cheap leading to holdouts and free agents leaving. All of a sudden, those Bruins weren't the same Bruins of old. For many the final straw was the Ray Bourque trade. Add to that the Sox getting really good in the late 90's into the 2000's and the Pats finally getting recognized once Brady/Bellichik came around, and the Celtics were pretty good at the turn of the millennium with Walker/Pierce, and the Bruins are taking up the rear. Then you get the Lockout and the NHL becomes a total joke around here. But things changed in the 2007-2008 season, new coach, new GM, new team identity and all of a sudden the Bruins of old are back. Team started selling out the building again during the 2008-2009 season and I believe have sold out every game since then.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:59 AM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

Quote:
Proof please.

Easily true. The Bruins were completely irrelevant until game 6 of the 2008 series.
Here's your proof:
http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/...#axzz2LXScFAQl

And lol at the Revolutiom being more popular than the Bruins ever. They never even had a TV contract..

I agree with the fact no one gave a **** about the Bruins before 2008, but the same was true about the Celtics (before the Big 3) and about the Patriots (before Drew Bledsoe).

NBA Ratings: http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Jou.../NBA-RSNs.aspx

Celtics are down 35% and averaging a 3.1 and the Bruins are up 115% and averaging a 7..

Last edited by Watch for the Yeti: 02-24-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old
02-24-2013, 10:04 AM
Nicky Santoro

are we really never going to know what that Chicago rating was vs SJ?? that's sad. almost 48 hrs after the game and no sign of it.. maybe it's because it only drew a small 5.7 and it's not worth mentioning.. i think if it had broken a record and was very high, we might've heard it by now. i predicted 11.3, but now i might be changing it to 5.6... i stayed home all day yesterday on a beautiful mild sunny day in montreal just refreshing this thread for this hawks rating that i never got to see. what a loser..

Please if someone sees it, can you post it?? thanks.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:13 AM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
are we really never going to know what that Chicago rating was vs SJ?? that's sad. almost 48 hrs after the game and no sign of it.. maybe it's because it only drew a small 5.7 and it's not worth mentioning.. i think if it had broken a record and was very high, we might've heard it by now. i predicted 11.3, but now i might be changing it to 5.6... i stayed home all day yesterday on a beautiful mild sunny day in montreal just refreshing this thread for this hawks rating that i never got to see. what a loser..

Please if someone sees it, can you post it?? thanks.
They generally don't announce ratings for individual RSN games unless its a record and a 5.6 isn't bad at all and you probably shouldn't have your life revolve around TV ratings just because they don't always get announced individually.

Last edited by Watch for the Yeti: 02-24-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old
02-24-2013, 11:49 AM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

As you will see, I deleted quite a few posts.

When discussing other Leagues and ratings in comparison to the NHL's, let's make the effort to bring some substance to the discussion, as in tangible data and so on...

Personalizing responses will get the delete treatment.

Folks... let's get this discussion back on track.

Closed Thread