HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The utter nonsense of blaming anyone but Steve Tambellini.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

vCash: 50
Calling it now. Moans and groans for Jones. The season of ruin for Droiuns. We thought we'd be winnin, hey Nate MacKinnon.

Etc.

Team is going nowhere and the "brain trust" cannot fix the obvious every single year.

I like the progression of our kids, but the lack of urgency to get good vets and role players is inexcusable.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Calling it now. Moans and groans for Jones. The season of ruin for Droiuns. We thought we'd be winnin, hey Nate MacKinnon.

Etc.

Team is going nowhere and the "brain trust" cannot fix the obvious every single year.

I like the progression of our kids, but the lack of urgency to get good vets and role players is inexcusable.
we have a winner

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:29 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Etc.

Brilliant!

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:13 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post
They drafted most of their lineup. Especially their top six. Cole, Brindamour, Williams, Staal. They did acquire Stillman and Cullen via free agency though I suppose. All their money players including their goaltender they drafted.
well, fair enough. as you point, not their whole lineup. its seems to me that Tambo thinks he has already filled the holes of size with Ewanyk and Moroz (both far from a guarentee and at least 4 years away), and will find a 2C with this year's draft.

there is no sense of urgency. they are basically letting this season slide. they are treating it as a throw-away.

happy to hear that the local sports media (Spector, Strudwick and especially Gregor) are calling out Oilers' management. enough is enough. Even that shill Stauffer is saying they need to make 1 or 2 immediate trades, which is a round-about way of saying, 'Tambo, you're up so step up to the plate'.

i'm not advocating immediate trades, but the next 8 month, i hope, will make or break Tambo's career. it's showtime, baby.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:55 PM
oilexport

I'm in the "no more excuses club" as well. I have been trashing Lowe for a few years too now but I was hoping he would learn on the job and become good.

-Make some trades with draft picks or our spare parts (to free up roster spots). Gagner is the only player producing that I would trade and it would have to be for a bigger Center that can Play. I would be willing to go for a guy like ROR, add a flippin draft pick with Gagner and we get him.

-I cried when all our Centers were hurt and we called up a 165 AHL player.that made me look at the farm and see that the guys there were not good for developing for the NHL club. I feel a lot of those guys are just there to produce for the fans and make some money in OKC. We should have a better AHL development program. All the B.S. about "can't find players", "they don't grow on trees", "be patient" has worn thin long time ago.

-I would advocate not panicking but lets do something to shake-up the line-up before Hall goes completly crazy and kills someone due to the bone heads in the front office that want to wait for more draft picks to fill holes.

oilexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:47 PM
jbean

This season has been so damn predictable. If management didn't see this coming then they are in the minority of the thousands of people that watch the Oilers regularly. If they did then their tanking plan has gotten to the point of being pathetic and unrealistic. Whatever player we get in the draft this year is at least 2-3 years away from being able to play a role in turning this team around. Maybe only Jones could start to change things relatively quickly but if they were hoping to draft #1 four years in a row then they were aiming for unprecedented levels of suckage.

It's about time fans got on Tambellini because I doubt he is even swift enough to realize the level of anger fans feel right now. Waiting 2-3 years for draft picks to develop and signing fringe NHLers isn't how stanley cup teams are developed. Even the Chicagos and Pittsburghs rounded out their teams by free agency or trades.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:49 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Pittsburgh also got two of the best players in the world via draft... Imagine this team with Crosby or Malkin on it.

GreatMcKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:54 PM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
This season has been so damn predictable. If management didn't see this coming then they are in the minority of the thousands of people that watch the Oilers regularly. If they did then their tanking plan has gotten to the point of being pathetic and unrealistic. Whatever player we get in the draft this year is at least 2-3 years away from being able to play a role in turning this team around. Maybe only Jones could start to change things relatively quickly but if they were hoping to draft #1 four years in a row then they were aiming for unprecedented levels of suckage.

It's about time fans got on Tambellini because I doubt he is even swift enough to realize the level of anger fans feel right now. Waiting 2-3 years for draft picks to develop and signing fringe NHLers isn't how stanley cup teams are developed. Even the Chicagos and Pittsburghs rounded out their teams by free agency or trades.
so bang on. they finished 29th, and all they did is add 2 rookies and Mark Fistric. its deplorable that they are still willing to suck for 3 more years.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:56 PM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Pittsburgh also got two of the best players in the world via draft... Imagine this team with Crosby or Malkin on it.
wouldn't matter with Tambo, he'd be waiting for Klefbom and Mckinnon, Moroz and Ewanyk to contribute.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:11 PM
jbean

Quote:
They've also been very active making moves over the last few years and turned a losing team around quickly. One of their most important players in James Neal was a very nice addition. And if we had Crosby in his prime instead of say Nuge we are still in a fight for the playoffs simply because of our pathetic defense. The point is that even the Penguins (best team in the league) didn't just sit around waiting for their stars to develop.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:14 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
They've also been very active making moves over the last few years and turned a losing team around quickly. And if we had Crosby in his prime instead of say Nuge we are still in a fight for the playoffs simply because of our pathetic defense.
Pittsburgh's D wasn't very good last year... 17th overall. Exposed in the playoffs.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:21 PM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Pittsburgh's D wasn't very good last year... 17th overall. Exposed in the playoffs.
so are advocating the 'be patient, we have this year's pick to get a centre, Klefbom, Ewanyk and Moroz to fill our needs' approach?

are you willing to suck for 3 more years? and that's only if everything works out; 3 more years of suck is the best case scenario.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:25 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
so are advocating the 'be patient, we have this year's pick to get a centre, Klefbom, Ewanyk and Moroz to fill our needs' approach?

are you willing to suck for 3 more years? and that's only if everything works out; 3 more years of suck is the best case scenario.
Of course not. But what is the solution? Go out and blow our load on a Dennis Wideman?

Old
02-22-2013, 10:46 PM
Tad McMikowsky
Retired

who is available?

I mean since we can't wait.

Tad McMikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:03 PM
McOilbleeder
We are all Kloppites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
who is available?

Wait for what?

02-22-2013, 11:11 PM
Pablo Aimar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post

I know, so impatient. Its only been 7 years. Patience people!

Pablo Aimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:12 PM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Of course not. But what is the solution? Go out and blow our load on a Dennis Wideman?
Your point is well taken. There probably isn't much that can be done before the trade deadline.

But, I would like something done before training camp next year. There needs to be an admission that 'wait and see' management doesn't cut it. Tambo needs to be agressive.. no more draft and wait. It time to compete in the here and now.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:32 PM
OilerNut*

What really pisses me off is to see teams like the Leafs and Senators doing fairly well. Why can't we?

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:41 PM
Sheeshta

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
so bang on. they finished 29th, and all they did is add 2 rookies and Mark Fistric. its deplorable that they are still willing to suck for 3 more years.
Hey now, that's not fully accurate. They also added a rookie head coach.

Sheeshta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:43 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
What really pisses me off is to see teams like the Leafs and Senators doing fairly well. Why can't we?
The west is a lot deeper. Not saying that's the main reason but its a factor.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
The west is a lot deeper. Not saying that's the main reason but its a factor.
You can easily pick a number of western conference teams that over acheive with suspect rosters every year.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:56 PM
bardfromedson

If we keep falling this far we will be passing on lazar

bardfromedson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:18 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardfromedson View Post
If we keep falling this far we will be passing on lazar
We are the worst team in the last 10 games, we are finishing 30th again unless something changes.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:23 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post
They drafted most of their lineup. Especially their top six. Cole, Brindamour, Williams, Staal. They did acquire Stillman and Cullen via free agency though I suppose. All their money players including their goaltender they drafted.
Uh, Williams was a Flyers pick in 2000, Brindamour a Blues pick in 88. The only guys they drafted on that cup winning roster were: Staal, Cole, Ward, C. Adams, Vasicek, Ladd and Wallin. 7 guys, 3 important pieces (Wallin was the only D man. How the hell did they win with that D???).

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:02 PM
jbean

It's weird that Edmonton was talent starved for years and now that we have scoring talent we have an awful cast of role players. Obviously it isn't easy to fill holes in a lineup, but we can't give Tambo a free pass just because it's a difficult thing to do. The free agent market has been tough lately but there are always players available via trade. Who would've thought Richards or Carter would be available? The point is that Tambo has been around for a long time now and he has come up entirely empty handed. Further he has no history of ever putting together a competitive NHL team. How long is it going to take? How far are we into management's "five year plan" Lowe talked about once? Considering that this team never even planned to rebuild to begin with I have little faith in whatever plans they have for the future.