HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Concussions Avs and all other teams

Old
02-23-2013, 05:10 PM
fanofgoalies98

vCash: 500
Concussions Avs and all other teams

Why don't the Avalanche and NHL take a stance on concussions? I don't mean make it penalties or suspensions but why isn't the gear getting better?
Why aren't helmets like the M11 by Messier wore by more players?
Shouldn't player safety be up there? I know that players do like certain equipment and such but why hasn't CCM, Reebok and the rest come up with better helmets to protect the players or why haven't the players sought out these items?
As seen with Karlsson in Ottawa after an injury the items seem to pop up and be shown but concussion have been happening so long, I just don't see why players, the league the equipment makers haven't made the stand to protect the players, in all leagues and all ages. Sorry about the rant, been thinking about it for weeks.

fanofgoalies98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:47 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
Most players just aren't that interested. The NHL will have to mandate these changes if they want to make significant strides in player safety.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 07:22 PM
avs1dacup

vCash: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofgoalies98 View Post
Why don't the Avalanche and NHL take a stance on concussions? I don't mean make it penalties or suspensions but why isn't the gear getting better?
I guess I don't understand how those helmets work. Most concussions aren't caused by simply being hit in the head, but by the brain rattling around in the skull when the head snaps back. No helmet is going to prevent that. It can absorb some of the G forces from a hit, but if that head snaps back, it's no better than a normal helmet. Short of a change in mentality and the way the game is played, they will never be removed from the game and can only be minimized at best.

avs1dacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:13 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
The solution's already out there

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:02 PM
jfisher6
#thestructure

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofgoalies98 View Post
Shouldn't player safety be up there? I know that players do like certain equipment and such but why hasn't CCM, Reebok and the rest come up with better helmets to protect the players or why haven't the players sought out these items?
As seen with Karlsson in Ottawa after an injury the items seem to pop up and be shown but concussion have been happening so long, I just don't see why players, the league the equipment makers haven't made the stand to protect the players, in all leagues and all ages. Sorry about the rant, been thinking about it for weeks.
It's a really complicated issue and they ARE coming up with better solutions for protection.

You've also got to understand that a lot of players are going to push back if you tell them they have to wear new helmets with more protection. It's a process, and it isn't so cut and dry as you might think it is.

jfisher6 is offline   Reply With Quote