HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Development Camp Day 6 - SCRIMMAGE DAY!

Old
07-15-2006, 02:22 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninot View Post
Awesome work guys!

Did any of you get to talk with Habs staff, to get their impressions/remarks?
Did talk a little with Timmins in the end, and the two guys he looked more impressed with were Latendresse and Kostitsyn. Just had the biggest smile on his face in the end, saying that the guys were indeed tired but gave a great show and had an overall great week.

Just said to him that he was doing a great job, seemed to appreciate it!

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Dr_Hook

Thanks again Whitesnakes !! WHat a pleasure it was to read you !!!

I feel like putting you on the spot: I know you just got a glimpse of him this week BUT' do you think Lats is NHL bound ?? would he be losing his time going back to juniors ?

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 02:24 PM
wholeshow*

GREAT posts, i really appreciate. you guys put so much effort into it and it was all quality material as well.
so you guys all believe that lats and kost were the standouts of the bunch, with mikus having the most natural ability?
whitesnake your description makes me look at mikus like he's another grabovsky (which isn't bad in my books). small (in terms of weight), superfast with incredible hands that would make the majority of the NHLers blush...would this be an accurate assessment?

sakuuuu and whitesnake, in your opinion(s) in the end who from this camp will end up where in the 06/07 season?

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 02:25 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Btw, have you guys took any pics or recorded some vids?

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 02:25 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin_goon View Post
wow...simply put...

you guys did some great work!

maybe Timmis does read this board and who knows whitesnake, an offer could come your way one day

thanx a billion guys!
Well when I talked to him at the beginning of the week and said that I was writing on HF Boards, he truly acknowledge that has he knew what it was so.....

As far as an offer.......I'm all for it!!! But I won't lose any sleep waiting for it... That would've been totally the dream job for me, well maybe in another life!!!

Old
07-15-2006, 02:26 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
Btw, have you guys took any pics or recorded some vids?

Had my vids, took some videos, mostly of the beginning of the week, I don't think I have the greatest material out there but I'll look into it and if I have anything great, I'll let you guys know!

Old
07-15-2006, 02:28 PM
F. Duchemin

Send a message via MSN to F. Duchemin
thx whitesnake and sakuuu... i like the resume

F. Duchemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 02:32 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
Thanks again Whitesnakes !! WHat a pleasure it was to read you !!!

I feel like putting you on the spot: I know you just got a glimpse of him this week BUT' do you think Lats is NHL bound ?? would he be losing his time going back to juniors ?
I can't really say 'cause it was only 3 on 3 or 4 on 4 with no physical contact, the only contract he made was a solid one against Fischer who definitely does not represent what a big filled body looked like in the NHL.

What I do remember his that he still need to dominate every camp, 'cause last year he did dominate the development camp, dominated the rookie one and had a good one in the Bigs.

But what's more impressive, is that he did all that today, with only 1 small hour of preparation he had yesterday while the others had all week. But again, they were more tired than him so......But he totally dominated out there, looked impressive and depending of his progression, why wouldn't be???? Though it's more about if he has some room for him. I personnaly think that he could be best suited in the AHL than in Juniors, I still don't think he'll make it with us this year, but this can't be from what I've seen today, 'cause only based on that, he would be on our first line playing quality minutes.....

Old
07-15-2006, 02:32 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Thanks guys, for giving me something to read all week

Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 02:33 PM
TheHoser

Great reports guys!

I really like what I've been hearing about Juraj Mikus and Matt D'Agnostini!

TheHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 02:42 PM
HappyFan

whitsnake and Sakuuu let me say you are both gentlemen and scholars.

A huge thanks for all the coverage of the dev camp. I'm hoping to diligently report from the Rookie Tourney in Toronto this year. Can't wait for Sept 7th!!

HappyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunjeebakala View Post
GREAT posts, i really appreciate. you guys put so much effort into it and it was all quality material as well.
so you guys all believe that lats and kost were the standouts of the bunch, with mikus having the most natural ability?
whitesnake your description makes me look at mikus like he's another grabovsky (which isn't bad in my books). small (in terms of weight), superfast with incredible hands that would make the majority of the NHLers blush...would this be an accurate assessment?

sakuuuu and whitesnake, in your opinion(s) in the end who from this camp will end up where in the 06/07 season?
Lats and Kost were the standouts today no question. I have other ''heroes'' but does 2 did a great job. Mikus, he does have great hands. He does look like Grabo, though you know, I saw Grabo the same number of time that you guys saw him. I have the feeling Grabo is a little bit faster though. I think the only 2 questions which are big questions though for Mikus, is his ability to finish, and how he'll play in traffic. How he adapts and everything. But based on what I see, I have tons of confidence in the kid.

As far as who's going where, based on this camp and what we already know:

Aubin: Dogs
Carle: Juniors
Cepek: Juniors
Chipchura: Dogs
D'Ago: Dogs
Fischer: Minn.
Fréchette: Will not have a contract
Gleed: Dogs
Korpikari: Would love Dogs, but should return in Europe
Kostitsyn: Juniors
Lacasse: Juniors
Latendresse: Based on the camp, Habs, based on what would be best: Dogs, based on my feeling, Juniors
Maxwell: Juniors
Mikus: Juniors (Chicoutimi)
OByrne: Ready for the Dogs, but should return in College
Paquet: College
Price: Juniors (maybe with a new team.....)
Stewart: Dogs
White: Juniors
Wyman: Would love the Dogs, but will return in College

Old
07-15-2006, 02:45 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFan View Post
whitsnake and Sakuuu let me say you are both gentlemen and scholars.

A huge thanks for all the coverage of the dev camp. I'm hoping to diligently report from the Rookie Tourney in Toronto this year. Can't wait for Sept 7th!!
We're passing the torch my friend!!!! Can't wait to hear how this will go as well!!! Would gladly go but have a feeling my new employer wouldn't like that....

Old
07-15-2006, 02:46 PM
FinnHab

Thanks for those great reports guys! Im a finnish Hab-fan and those reports include so much intresting details about prospects that i dont`t know so well. Good work boys!

FinnHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 02:57 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesnake View Post
Lats and Kost were the standouts today no question. I have other ''heroes'' but does 2 did a great job. Mikus, he does have great hands. He does look like Grabo, though you know, I saw Grabo the same number of time that you guys saw him. I have the feeling Grabo is a little bit faster though. I think the only 2 questions which are big questions though for Mikus, is his ability to finish, and how he'll play in traffic. How he adapts and everything. But based on what I see, I have tons of confidence in the kid.

As far as who's going where, based on this camp and what we already know:

Aubin: Dogs
Carle: Juniors
Cepek: Juniors
Chipchura: Dogs
D'Ago: Dogs
Fischer: Minn.
Fréchette: Will not have a contract
Gleed: Dogs
Korpikari: Would love Dogs, but should return in Europe
Kostitsyn: Juniors
Lacasse: Juniors
Latendresse: Based on the camp, Habs, based on what would be best: Dogs, based on my feeling, Juniors
Maxwell: Juniors
Mikus: Juniors (Chicoutimi)
OByrne: Ready for the Dogs, but should return in College
Paquet: College
Price: Juniors (maybe with a new team.....)
Stewart: Dogs
White: Juniors
Wyman: Would love the Dogs, but will return in College
awesome stuff,
so from this bunch only lats has the shot to make the habs (makes sense) and with you speaking so highly of aubin and d'agostini...the dogs should be vastly improved. i don't think lats can play in the AHL this year, can he? if he does i think it'll be the best for him...let him dominate the ahl with the likes of a.kost and aubin...that would be a good line.

as for mikus, you said he had problems finishing...so is he in a way like a maxim afinigenov? speed, and stick handling...but finds it difficult to score.

Old
07-15-2006, 02:57 PM
Madevilz

wow sure hope Lats continue on this streak. I think he would waste his time in the juniors since he cannot go to the AHL. He needs some professional hockey!

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 03:00 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu View Post
Quote:

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 03:00 PM
Top Corner2

I was also at the scrimmage today. I liked what I saw in general. The only problem was that it was a wide open game when it was 3 on 3....not really very realistic.

Anyway here are some impressions.

I generally agree with what whitesnake and Saku had to say.

Carle - This kid will be a good one. He has such good hockey sense and all the skills to be a solid 2 way D-man. The only knock is that he's 6ft...but that won't stop him. The best of the 2006 picks today.

B Maxwell - While it's true that his shot is feeble, this kid showed why some had him as a top 20 pick this year. Great offensive instincts. Bulk up Ben! 2nd best 2006 pick.

Fischer - Still looks akward to me but definitely has great speed and tools that if put together will make him the best 2006 pick in the long run.

Kostytsyn looked awsome...what impressed me most was his work in scrums and his shot...but he did it all today.

Chipchura - This wasn't hsi kind of game but he still was always on the puck and making good things happen.

Mikus - great skills but a bit of a hot dog. Held the puck for a full shift at one point.

R White - Definitely looked much better today. Has a nose for the net and good instincts and hockey sense...phew....I'm glad he has some of the intangibles that he is missing in skills.

Latendress - Put on a Clinic...but Price robbed him several times as well. What I want to see is consistency from him....but he played great.

Aubin + D'agostini -Both showed mature game creating chances and getting back. Aubin has more flare.

Wyman - Good speed + skill + shot.....but something was missing. I want to see him play full contact (todays game was not...the fisher hit was an accident)

Korpikari - Slightly more mobile and less clumbsy Archer. Made some nice passes.

O'Byrne - come to Hamilton Ryan.

That's it for now. The future looks brighter than it did a few years ago.

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 03:03 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunjeebakala View Post
awesome stuff,
so from this bunch only lats has the shot to make the habs (makes sense) and with you speaking so highly of aubin and d'agostini...the dogs should be vastly improved. i don't think lats can play in the AHL this year, can he? if he does i think it'll be the best for him...let him dominate the ahl with the likes of a.kost and aubin...that would be a good line.

as for mikus, you said he had problems finishing...so is he in a way like a maxim afinigenov? speed, and stick handling...but finds it difficult to score.
Well Mikus that find the back of the net of a couple of occasions this week, but I think it's more a lack of confidence than anything else. Did have a difficult year with the Championships and his European team, but Chicoutimi might just be what the doctor ordered, regain his confidence, finding the back of the net more often, adapting to smaller rinks. I like what I saw about his defensive play as well. Not saying he's a PK player or anything like that but saw some awareness about it. Not like he doesn't know where his zone is.....But that will be another thing he'll have to work in.

I saw a great work ethic from him, working so hard all week, that can't be bad....

Old
07-15-2006, 03:09 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

I think Mikus mostly played on the 3rd & 4th lines last year

Old
07-15-2006, 03:11 PM
HomaridII

I was also there today, for the first time this week. I took some pictures and video which I will upload later in the day and post the link here. I managed to get a video of Latendresse's penalty shot and Fischer's penalty shot, as well of 2-3 videos of general game play with Latendresse on the ice.

Not going to post the lineups and goals since that was covered by the guys that were there also, but I am going to say this. I was NOT a big fan of Latendresse before today, but now I am. He was BY FAR the best guy out there today, head and shoulders above the rest. His strenght, skating ability, stick handling, vision on the ice, wow wow wow. He really impressed me today. Him and Aubin had amazing chemistry together, for some reason they seemed to know where the other one was going to be all the time. Latendressed could have easily had 5-6 goals today if he wasn't shooting at Price, who looked by far the better goalie.

S. Kost .. let me tell you. I have been watching hockey for 12-15 years and I havent seen a wristshot quite like that. He didn't really show it in the scrimmage but in the warmup, he took a puck right at center ice and BOOM top corner, then moved in, grabbed a puck just outside the blueline and BOOM, SAME top corner. I was in awe, never seen that from between blue and red line. And with zip on them too, not floaters. What really impressed me about him in game situations was how strong he was on his skates, his vision & passing ability and how he didn't over complicate anything.

Chipchura I was somewhat disappointed with, I realize a 3-3 scrimmage isn't his game, specially one without physical play, but he gave up the puck a ton, soft passes, blind passes, you name it. I can tell you though, he is a beast in the corners and was one of few forwards interested in back checking, hahaha.

Fischer - I know some people have said that he was disappointing, hmm I don't think so, shrug. He is 18 and honestly, he was the ONLY guy on the ice Latendresse didn't manhandle and basically walked around. Fischer stopped a couple of 2 on 1s and was really strong 1 on 1 vs Latendresse on two occassions. He is a joy to watch skate, makes you think he isn't skating fast but he can make up ground really fast. I didn't see much of him in terms of having a shot and he needs upper body strength (in the collission with Latendresse, he was knocked down like a sack of potatoes, wasn't even close), but I think this kid is a keeper.

Other people I was impressed with were Carle, D'Agostini, Aubin.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 03:11 PM
felixd

Is there a reason A.Kost wasn't at the camp? Or is the camp just for prospects with no AHL experience?

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 03:19 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Well Mikus that find the back of the net of a couple of occasions this week, but I think it's more a lack of confidence than anything else. Did have a difficult year with the Championships and his European team, but Chicoutimi might just be what the doctor ordered, regain his confidence, finding the back of the net more often, adapting to smaller rinks. I like what I saw about his defensive play as well. Not saying he's a PK player or anything like that but saw some awareness about it. Not like he doesn't know where his zone is.....But that will be another thing he'll have to work in.

I saw a great work ethic from him, working so hard all week, that can't be bad....
true true, playing in the Q will be a great way for him to gain confidence in his scoring...he was probably snake bitten playing in a low scoring league. i remember many of the posters here being extremely impressed with his skills, but disappointed with his output. but with your stance on him now, you're probably right about it being a confidence issue...i guess the talent is already there (he can't lose it). good to hear that he's defensively aware as well, i'm sure carbs and muller would love that aspect of his game. It should propel his progression into the NHL much quicker not needing to 'learn how to play defense' in the AHL.

good post homarid, lats is a man amongst boys (that's the impression im getting). what you're saying about kost is really impressing me. top shelfed wristers from center ice? man, he'd destroy ray bourque in the targets competition if that's the case. lol

i like how everyone who watched the scrimmage camp came to the same conclusion in regards to who was the best.

Old
07-15-2006, 03:32 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd View Post
Is there a reason A.Kost wasn't at the camp? Or is the camp just for prospects with no AHL experience?
on the CBA, they talk about "Conditioning Camp", only for unsigned draft choices & any player in the entry level system with less than 120 NHL games and no longer then 7 days,

I guess this is what we just have,
so Benoît, A.Kostitsyn, Locke, Urquhart, Lemieux, Sanford, Halak, Lapierre, Lambert & Bonneau could all have participated but they already played pro for at least one year & already participated in a couple of those camp, so there was probably no need to do it again

Old
07-15-2006, 03:34 PM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
on the CBA, they talk about "Conditioning Camp", only for unsigned draft choices & any player in the entry level system with less than 120 NHL games and no longer then 7 days,

I guess this is what we just have,
so Benoît, A.Kostitsyn, Locke, Urquhart, Lemieux, Sanford, Halak, Lapierre, Lambert & Bonneau could all have participated but they already played pro for at least one year & already participated in a couple of those camp, so there was probably no need to do it again
Thanks. But something tells me the maximum is less than 120 NHL games. Probably 12?

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote