HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Win 3-2

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 06:55 PM
OiledUp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
A few things that won't get much notice. Just 2 mins into the game Gagner covering back on a poor D pinch and breaks up a play routinely. At least half a dozen other times tonight Gagner is back on D playing 2 on 2's and looking like a regular D. Nobody notices it when it works out well. Team was pinching a lot today and Gagner covering better than anybody.

Now, 10 secs left in the game, Smyth has a braincramp, passes puck back to Potter who doesn't have a stick, Gagner reads play, skates quickly back into own end, beating two Coyotes (who would've been home free) to the puck thus saving a serious scoring opportunity.

Gagner in OT wins a faceoff but wingers manage to not recover puck, officially thats probably called a lost draw, even though it isn't.

Gagner with a howitzer(also skated into a screen) that was labeled top corner. On some nights thats going to be a goal.

Smyth great redirection on the tying goal. Smyth and Gagner best forwards on the day. Smyth making things happen now with any linemate. Nice to see him get Harti the goal. That kind of thing is huge. Not only the tying goal but gets the kid on track. People will recall Smyth did the same thing with Paajarvi.
I think Gagner had his ups and downs the first two periods, didn't play too well but he finished the game well and he keeps putting on solid performances this season, can't believe people are still ragging on him, one of few players on the team constantly making smart plays. And he keeps on producing, still at the ppg clip.

Smyth has looked improved the last couple of games, but can't really keep up with the top six guys on even strength, I've stated it before, bottom six and special teams is the best way to utilize him. And sit him for one or two games when he looks weary.

Old
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
My question is how could the next GM do any worse??
Could trade draft picks away? Sign average free agents (Wideman) to massive contracts?

There's lots that could be done for the team to be in worse shape.

Old
OILSLICK94

So when Petrell is ready to return off the IR, who goes to OKC?

Harti or MPS? tough call.....neither should be down there. I personally hate the 8 defensemen on the active roster. Should be going with 7 trade one of (Whitney/Potter/Peckham) that way both Harti and MPS can stay up.

WHEN HEALTHY:
Yakupov Nugent-Hopkins Eberle
Hall Gagner Hemsky
Smyth Horcoff Paajarvi
Eager Belanger Jones
ex. Hartikainen Petrell

N.Schultz J.Schultz
Smid Petry
Whitney Fistric
Ex. One of Peckham or Potter (move one away) or trade Whitney

Dubnyk
Khabby

Old
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
We could have won 8-1 and the fans would point to the 1.
Or how we used 5 passers on the powerplay

Old
02-23-2013, 06:56 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
I could absolutely understand if we blew a 2-0 lead and lost in the shootout.

...But the reverse happened. Why can't we be happy?
I'm happy but the outcome of the game doesn't always correlate directly to coaching decisions. I don't think that because we won we should give the Yakupov OT PP benching a pass. I want to know more about that.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:56 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
That would be a negative. Now this team will start thinking they don't need to show up and the points will keep coming.

I seriously doubt that. They just won a game in a shootout. At home. And now they go on the road for 9. Over confidence is not a problem right now. If anything, they need some positive reinforcement and a big dose of confidence at this point.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:57 PM
Joey Moss

Not understanding the Krueger stuff. I don't think Belanger and Smyth should have started. In fact I don't think Smyth should ever be out in OT at all due to how slow he is. But Belanger was out there to get possession and come off the ice but he lost the draw and got caught. We're 17 games into the season, and we're already bringing out the Fire Krueger comments? Jeez..

Dubnyk and Khabibulin are proving to be one of the better combos in the league right now. Hard to believe goaltending was our weak point before the season. I'm confident in both of them. If we're out of a spot by April 3rd, Khabi is going to net us something nice to a playoff team looking to solidify their goaltending.

Smyth played good today. Six shots and a beauty tip pass to Harti. We need that from him, especially with Hall out for another game.

Hemsky looked good again despite no production. Nuge and Eberle continue to look "meh." They need to be better still.

I think Chicago will beat Columbus tomorrow and if we win against Chicago that could be a turning point in this season. We have a great chance to be the team to end a record. Confidence will be sky high.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:58 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

vCash: 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Oh no i'm looking at the bigger picture to, and dealing with it.

Lets say Tambo does get turfed, and the next guy isn't up to par. What then?

Same cycle. Doesn't matter who it would be. But wanting the team to lose to accomplish that?

Nah, but we should stick with the hope that the next guy will be better, and get us to the cup immediately after Tambo is turfed. Because signing free agents is easy, so is trading for guys who are available. Right?

What if? How could a GM do any worse then Tambellinni? Last place 3 years in a row? It would be VERY hard to do worse than him, but if it did happen then turf that guy. I have no idea why a guy that can't seem to get himself out of lottery pick territory should keep a job. It seriously does astound me. (inb4 rebuild nonsense).

If the next guy brought us to the cup then great , but I didn't say that.

I'd hate to break this to you but not all GM's accept placing last every year. Some GM's actually demand accountability and results.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:59 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
Quote:
Whining after wins is stupid.
In your opinion. Flashy just sees a team that's going to lose more then it wins and will probably pick in the top 5 again this year. Which is absolutely unacceptable given how bad we've been the last 3 years.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:59 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
I'm happy but the outcome of the game doesn't always correlate directly to coaching decisions. I don't think that because we won we should give the Yakupov OT PP benching a pass. I want to know more about that.
So when we win, it's all about the players. And when we lose it's all on the coach. Gotcha.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:00 PM
The Bored Man
Tier 2 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Posted this when we were down 2-0:

I guess the fate of this team is in my hands.

Now to watch or not to watch?...
IIRC you didn't watch either of the blowout Hawks games either.

I hear that Vancouver has a great team you could cheer for.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:01 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
So when we win, it's all about the players. And when we lose it's all on the coach. Gotcha.
No. I just said that results often don't correlate with coaching decisions. You can lose with great coaching decisions and win with poor ones.

I don't know if it was an incorrect decision to bench Yakupov for the OT PP, but it doesn't make sense to me. I understand doing it at ES since he has a lot to learn defensively, but a 4-on-3 OT PP on a team with playmakers seems like the perfect place to play him.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:02 PM
Pablo Aimar
MBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles Glasses View Post
I can flip the question on to you and ask how is it a lock that the next GM would do any better?

What a ridiculous attitude. The Oilers have been the WORST franchise in the whole ****ing league. A chimpanzee could do better.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:02 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 2394
Quote:
In your opinion. Flashy just sees a team that's going to lose more then it wins and will probably pick in the top 5 again this year. Which is absolutely unacceptable given how bad we've been the last 3 years.
So clearly winning hockey games will put us in the bottom 5, right?

If we lose 9 in a row on the road trip, then feel free to call for the coach's head.

Whining after a game in which we were trailing 2-0 and came back to win against a very tight checking team seems like grasping at straws.

Let us enjoy the wins. They might not come often but at least it's nice to watch the team win.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:03 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
What if? How could a GM do any worse then Tambellinni? Last place 3 years in a row? It would be VERY hard to do worse than him, but if it did happen then turf that guy. I have no idea why a guy that can't seem to get himself out of lottery pick territory should keep a job. It seriously does astound me. (inb4 rebuild nonsense).

If the next guy brought us to the cup then great , but I didn't say that.

I'd hate to break this to you but not all GM's accept placing last every year. Some GM's actually demand accountability and results.
Okay cool. I'm not even going to mention rebuild, because I don't think you understand that it takes time, and thus you say it's non sense.

Yeah there are some holes. But if you honestly expect a team that is being build from the ground up, is going to be contenders quickly, then your expectations should be tempered.

You think it's impossible to do worst, but as other posters have mentioned, it's possible. Funny how you just immediately don't acknowledge that.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:03 PM
Byakin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Aimar View Post

What a ridiculous attitude. The Oilers have been the WORST franchise in the whole ****ing league. A chimpanzee could do better.
Remember Mike Milbury?

Old
02-23-2013, 07:04 PM
flashyflash
Ryan Smyth is BATMAN

Quote:
It's not that I am not happy we didn't win, but we have not play two great games in a row yet and there is not a lot of time this season.

I believe it starts at the top and they need to stop telling people that they are going to do this and that when they really have just sat there and let the draft do all the work.

I don't think we played well until the 2nd period. Not going to cut it.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:04 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Aimar View Post

What's so ridiculous about questioning what ifs? Plenty of posters do that already.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:05 PM
ExOilerFan

If the Oilers lost in OT everyone would be in agreement about Kreugers decision but they won so we can't voice our opinions. Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic about the victory but I thought that Kreuger's decision to not have yak and Schultz on the pp in ot did not make any sense at all.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:06 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
If the Oilers lost in OT everyone would be in agreement about Kreugers decision but they won so we can't voice our opinions. Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic about the victory but I thought that Kreuger's decision to not have yak and Schultz on the pp in ot did not make any sense at all.
And if he did and we lost in OT then fans would still be complaining. It's damned if you damned if you don't. IT's not like he threw out Belanger, Smyth, Eager and Hartikanen.

Old
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
IIRC you didn't watch either of the blowout Hawks games either.

I hear that Vancouver has a great team you could cheer for.
Haha, you're right. I missed both of those games.

Looks like I'm putting in my transfer papers.

See ya, HFoil.

Old
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles Glasses View Post
I can flip the question on to you and ask how is it a lock that the next GM would do any better?
You can look at the other rebuilds like Pittsburgh and Chicago, they turned the page after turfing their GM's. And I think Maggie the Monkey could probably GM this team and not pick 1st 3 years in a row.

Old
flashyflash
Ryan Smyth is BATMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Okay cool. I'm not even going to mention rebuild, because I don't think you understand that it takes time, and thus you say it's non sense.

Yeah there are some holes. But if you honestly expect a team that is being build from the ground up, is going to be contenders quickly, then your expectations should be tempered.

You think it's impossible to do worst, but as other posters have mentioned, it's possible. Funny how you just immediately don't acknowledge that.
I have an issue that we draft or trade for goal scorers and under this management group/coaches we struggle to make any type of goal scorer.

We always want them to play defense. We need new voices and not the same old crap.

We haven't played 2 great games in a row yet.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:07 PM
worraps
Acceptance

On the plus side for Krueger: I liked putting Harski and Smyth on RNH's unit to emphasize the importance of going to the net.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:09 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
No. I just said that results often don't correlate with coaching decisions. You can lose with great coaching decisions and win with poor ones.

I don't know if it was an incorrect decision to bench Yakupov for the OT PP, but it doesn't make sense to me. I understand doing it at ES since he has a lot to learn defensively, but a 4-on-3 OT PP on a team with playmakers seems like the perfect place to play him.
Sorry to jump on your case, but my point is probably more to some of the tall foreheads on here. Yes, there are likely some coaching decisions in every game, with every team that can be questioned. For the most part, I think Krueger has done a good job of placing personel where they need to be placed, benching people when needed, putting others in the PB when needed. I can't speak to his systems because I'm not privy to them, and he says they need to work on it this year, so we'll see.

As for not putting Yak on the PP, yes it can be questioned. But to be fair, Yak has looked like a nervous schoolgirl with the puck a lot of times and perhaps Krueger felt he needed a more veteran presence out there in the OT, I don't know. At any rate, it all worked out in the end this time. They chose the right shootout guys.

Closed Thread