HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Whats a "Special Teams" Jets lose 5-3

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-23-2013, 04:24 PM
  #126
moosehead81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 836
vCash: 500
Chintzy refereeing (doesn't matter which game it is) and the lock-out has pretty well taken away the passion I had for the game. I still watch (not a much though) but it's not the same.

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:27 PM
  #127
KingBogo
Admitted Homer
 
KingBogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 4,414
vCash: 1137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Well by the most recent caller, he feels Trouba could be ready to make the jump. And we also have Grant Clitsome.

With an argument like that I don't see why he's even still on the roster.
Even if Trouba is ready, how does that diminish our need for Hainsey? They don't even play the same side. There is no way in this world you can compare Clitsome with Hainsey.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:28 PM
  #128
Vapour Trails
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 210
vCash: 500
I think you can distill this loss into two discreet plays. The 3rd and 4th goals against were both similar in that the Jets were caught staring at the puck. The puck carrier drew them in then passed to an uncovered man. Pretty basic stuff.

Wright has been on the ice for several of these defensive breakdowns.

Bogo had a lackluster game as did Postma. Buff has lost a lot of presence since this return from injury. Sure he got 2 assists, but he is not the dominating force he should be.

Right now the biggest weakness for the Jets is the defense, they are quite bad at defending.

This is quite obvious but the PK is just abysmal. I mean, it' not even NHL quality. If this doesn't get fixed, nothing else matters.

Vapour Trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:28 PM
  #129
PerryPooley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
It's been a couple of hours and that game still pisses me off. But I guess when they finally start to regularly win games like this where they have a 2 goal lead late in the 2nd period, we'll know they're worth taking seriously.

PerryPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:34 PM
  #130
surge1979
Registered User
 
surge1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 762
vCash: 50
I wonder how long Perry Pearn's special teams system would last on teams like the Red Wings, Bruins, Rangers, Canucks, Devils?

surge1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:35 PM
  #131
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug
 
Tom ServoMST3K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,856
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by surge1979 View Post
I wonder how long Perry Pearn's special teams system would last on teams like the Red Wings, Bruins, Rangers, Canucks, Devils?
Are the jets buying what pern is selling?

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:39 PM
  #132
PaperRockChamp
Registered User
 
PaperRockChamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wpg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,225
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by surge1979 View Post
I wonder how long Perry Pearn's special teams system would last on teams like the Red Wings, Bruins, Rangers, Canucks, Devils?
I understand your point but I don't think we've seen Pearn's system yet. Because we're in the SE div, we still have a bit of time to come together. I know it SUCKS watching our PP and PK, I just can't wait to see how much we dominate games if we can figure out our ST's

PaperRockChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:13 PM
  #133
fergiesbeak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Peg
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 179
vCash: 500
The divers have some good forwards and when we were up 3-1 we should have tightened up our game and we didn't.Crap calls or not our PK is our biggest problem.Too bad Peluso wasn't in the game either instead of wellwood.but then that probably would have meant more penalties against the jets.well maybe more practise is what we need.yahhh right

fergiesbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:15 PM
  #134
surge1979
Registered User
 
surge1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 762
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpggrown View Post
I understand your point but I don't think we've seen Pearn's system yet. Because we're in the SE div, we still have a bit of time to come together. I know it SUCKS watching our PP and PK, I just can't wait to see how much we dominate games if we can figure out our ST's
To be fair, our PK has improved dramatically since the start of the season (mostly because of Pavelec). We missed 2 coverage assignments today both ended up in the back of our net. The other one was a 5-3 and a howitzer shot. There's basically no room for error on the PK.

I've been sayng this for the past 12 games or so...our Power Play is a way bigger problem. Zone entries are diysmal and our entire playbook is shots from the point. It reminds me of when I was in peewee and we had this defenseman who could fire it about 85 mph while the rest of us could only shoot 30. This is the NHL and they have ****ing video. They know exactly what we're doing.

We're 0/15 in the last 4 games. We have 54 shots on 59 opportunities - the worst in the league and its not even close. I blame this entirely on Pearn. Good teams make adjustments - some of them in the game. Our only adjustment was to put Buff in front a couple of times. We have Clitsome out there. Are you kidding me?

I would really like to see us move back to Bogo and Buff at the point. Ladd does a fine job standing in front. I really think Burmi should be out there on the half wall because he's ouir only forward that doesnt **** his pants under pressure.....

The last time I mentioned that our PP was awful, I got scolded by a bunch of people because we were ranked 15th in the league (as if we shouldn't worry about something that is fundamentally flawed because we got a few lucky goals from the point to boost our ranking). If we don't make significant improvements to our PP, we're totally ****ed.

surge1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:25 PM
  #135
mondo3
Registered User
 
mondo3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 861
vCash: 571
I really hope we don't trade Burmi...he is just too much fun to watch. I think he's one of the most talented players on this team.

mondo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:32 PM
  #136
Blackie Dammit
proud flatlander
 
Blackie Dammit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Interlake
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,540
vCash: 50
We deserved at least 1 point out of that game. Flyers got our number this season.

Blackie Dammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:48 PM
  #137
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug
 
Tom ServoMST3K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,856
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by morningwood View Post
We deserved at least 1 point out of that game. Flyers got our number this season.
we kinda did last year

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:58 PM
  #138
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,961
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by surge1979 View Post
To be fair, our PK has improved dramatically since the start of the season (mostly because of Pavelec). We missed 2 coverage assignments today both ended up in the back of our net. The other one was a 5-3 and a howitzer shot. There's basically no room for error on the PK.

I've been sayng this for the past 12 games or so...our Power Play is a way bigger problem. Zone entries are diysmal and our entire playbook is shots from the point. It reminds me of when I was in peewee and we had this defenseman who could fire it about 85 mph while the rest of us could only shoot 30. This is the NHL and they have ****ing video. They know exactly what we're doing.

We're 0/15 in the last 4 games. We have 54 shots on 59 opportunities - the worst in the league and its not even close. I blame this entirely on Pearn. Good teams make adjustments - some of them in the game. Our only adjustment was to put Buff in front a couple of times. We have Clitsome out there. Are you kidding me?

I would really like to see us move back to Bogo and Buff at the point. Ladd does a fine job standing in front. I really think Burmi should be out there on the half wall because he's ouir only forward that doesnt **** his pants under pressure.....

The last time I mentioned that our PP was awful, I got scolded by a bunch of people because we were ranked 15th in the league (as if we shouldn't worry about something that is fundamentally flawed because we got a few lucky goals from the point to boost our ranking). If we don't make significant improvements to our PP, we're totally ****ed.
I pretty much agree with the sentiments that:

1) Our PK isn't THAT bad... that our poor PK was due to Pav's basically having a 600 PK SV% but he's done well the last three games in restoring that
2) Our PP IS that bad bad... that we have huge issues with:
a) getting quantity of shots
b) getting quality of scoring oppertunities
c) being unpredictable
d) getting zone entry
e) sustaining pressure in

I would really like to see how many of the fans here would be ****ing on our players if
1) Pavelec consistently played like he did against OTT, BOSx2, WSH, PITx2, PHIx2, BUF, CAR
2) We figured our **** on the PP (this is approach issue, not a talent issue)
3) We could have more than 5 minutes of an intact top3 for our D-core

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:04 PM
  #139
Romang67
BitterSwede
 
Romang67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Illinois
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,932
vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
Or 24
Way ahead of you.

Romang67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:06 PM
  #140
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,832
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
(...)

I would really like to see how many of the fans here would be ****ing on our players if
1) Pavelec consistently played like he did against OTT, BOSx2, WSH, PITx2, PHIx2, BUF, CAR
2) We figured our **** on the PP (this is approach issue, not a talent issue)
3) We could have more than 5 minutes of an intact top3 for our D-core
I'd say none, as we'd have more checkmarks in the win column if those things happened.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:07 PM
  #141
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,961
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
Way ahead of you.
crazy sweedes

all I got is me whiskey... time to get whiskey drunk and wash away the sorrows

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:09 PM
  #142
Romang67
BitterSwede
 
Romang67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Illinois
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,932
vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
crazy sweedes

all I got is me whiskey... time to get whiskey drunk and wash away the sorrows
I spent the evening playing hockey with some friends and then drinking and watching the Jets. And I'm still in a damn ****** mood. I'm thinking about just drinking till I drop and then start from scratch on monday.

Romang67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:21 PM
  #143
blueandgoldguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Greg's River Heights
Posts: 1,611
vCash: 500
Didn't watch or listen to the game but based on the stats and the comments here it sounds like we were done in by our special teams.

Interesting looking at NHL website team stats...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...ewName=summary

Jets are bottom ten in the league with goals for/goals against ratio. They sit at 21st with 0.90. So really, we aren't as good 5-on-5 as some would suggest.

Our penalty killing is dead last at a dreadful 67.9% while our power play is 20th at 15.2% (despite our 0fer slump. I thought it would be lower to be honest). Guess there are a lot of dreadful power plays out there (ie. Rangers).

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:32 PM
  #144
ajmidd12
Know-It-All
 
ajmidd12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hungover
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,553
vCash: 204
Anyone else think the Flyers are a dirty team who get away with far too much?

Look back to the game in the Peg, Peluso got a charging call, but Rinaldo didn't get squat for his vicious hit against Wright.

Today they were running our guys left and right. Plus hacking away at Pavs without any penalty calls.

ajmidd12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:40 PM
  #145
RonJon
Registered User
 
RonJon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 661
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Antropov played bad???
And Tangradi and Thorburn good???



Anyone notice this is the 3rd game where Jets' have the momentum and Thorburn takes a "no reason" fight and it wakes up the other team/crowd?


I agree we saw Rinaldo skate away in Winnipeg because it didn't benefit his team (and he's a snivelling rat faced gitt) but Thor thinks he has to drop them because it's the code. Team comes first.

RonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:44 PM
  #146
bigplay41
BIG MEECH
 
bigplay41's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,289
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
1st Jets game ive missed since they returned judging by the thread title i am going to assume the PK is the reason haha.

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:45 PM
  #147
bigplay41
BIG MEECH
 
bigplay41's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,289
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJon View Post
[/B]

I agree we saw Rinaldo skate away in Winnipeg because it didn't benefit his team (and he's a snivelling rat faced gitt) but Thor thinks he has to drop them because it's the code. Team comes first.
Rinaldo is a ***** didn't be back down to Peluso? Grow some balls

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:57 PM
  #148
JetsFan815
Registered User
 
JetsFan815's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,007
vCash: 500
LOL @ people blaming the loss on reffing. What are we now? Canucks fans? I don't blame the refs at for the loss.


Last edited by JetsFan815: 02-23-2013 at 11:46 PM.
JetsFan815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 07:11 PM
  #149
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,961
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Didn't watch or listen to the game but based on the stats and the comments here it sounds like we were done in by our special teams.

Interesting looking at NHL website team stats...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...ewName=summary

Jets are bottom ten in the league with goals for/goals against ratio. They sit at 21st with 0.90. So really, we aren't as good 5-on-5 as some would suggest.

Our penalty killing is dead last at a dreadful 67.9% while our power play is 20th at 15.2% (despite our 0fer slump. I thought it would be lower to be honest). Guess there are a lot of dreadful power plays out there (ie. Rangers).
GF/GA
Easy... change our goalie sv% to league average, and even our sh% to last seasons and we'd no longer be in that bottom 10.

PP
Our SF/60 is WAAAAY the **** down to the bottom which means even our "ok" pp isn't really sustainable
http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_team_...8+29+30+31+32#

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:12 PM
  #150
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist
 
BigTuna49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ATL
Country: Egypt
Posts: 23,038
vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Have a beer
Yeah, one ain't gonna be enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeMason50 View Post
Like we would have done anything with another power-play anyway.
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Special teams kills us again.

Really unimpressed with how poorly our entire D corps played. Hell, I think Clitsome might have been the best one! That's telling.
That's scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
Or 24
Ok you alcoholic. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
I STILL want to see more Peluso.
Why not at this point?
Same here. At some time.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.