HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Win 3-2

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-23-2013, 06:09 PM
  #176
flashyflash
Ryan Smyth is BATMAN
 
flashyflash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: london
Posts: 395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
So clearly winning hockey games will put us in the bottom 5, right?

If we lose 9 in a row on the road trip, then feel free to call for the coach's head.

Whining after a game in which we were trailing 2-0 and came back to win against a very tight checking team seems like grasping at straws.

Let us enjoy the wins. They might not come often but at least it's nice to watch the team win.

It's the organization's mentality that is the problem. Players that were made to score should be allowed to do so.

Eric Belanger use to be a 20 goal scorer under phoenix's system, why can't he score here.

A lot of players for some reason come here in the last 5 to 6 years and they seem to not be able to score anymore.

Why is that.

flashyflash is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:09 PM
  #177
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,176
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Could trade draft picks away? Sign average free agents (Wideman) to massive contracts?

There's lots that could be done for the team to be in worse shape.
So basically be like Lou Lamorello or Ken Holland? Id rather move a pick and over sign a dman then watch Corey Potter on a consistent basis.

raab is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:10 PM
  #178
flashy
Fire Tambellini.
 
flashy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Okay cool. I'm not even going to mention rebuild, because I don't think you understand that it takes time, and thus you say it's non sense.

Yeah there are some holes. But if you honestly expect a team that is being build from the ground up, is going to be contenders quickly, then your expectations should be tempered.

You think it's impossible to do worst, but as other posters have mentioned, it's possible. Funny how you just immediately don't acknowledge that.
What do you mean? A hypothetical GM could trade away first overall pick for Scott Gomez? Ok I'm wrong I guess you could possibly do worse then Steve Tambellinni.

I'm sorry that I didn't think of situations that have never happened or would happen in real life.

As for the rebuild, I think its people like you who don't understand how it works. No rebuilds have teams place last, last, second last and still have the same damn problems they did 3 years earlier. This isn't a hard concept to understand. How many years are you guys going to give him a pass?

flashy is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:11 PM
  #179
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,229
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashyflash View Post
It's the organization's mentality that is the problem. Players that were made to score should be allowed to do so.

Eric Belanger use to be a 20 goal scorer under phoenix's system, why can't he score here.

A lot of players for some reason come here in the last 5 to 6 years and they seem to not be able to score anymore.

Why is that.
Good question. It could be Belanger more than the coach. I don't know, you don't know, the only people who would know are in the room.

GreatKeith is online now  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:11 PM
  #180
Wheatking
Registered User
 
Wheatking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,234
vCash: 500
So we should keep our bad GM because there is a possibility that the next guy might be worse?

Wheatking is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:11 PM
  #181
Pablo Aimar
Registered User
 
Pablo Aimar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
What's so ridiculous about questioning what ifs? Plenty of posters do that already.
"You know, there is a chance a new GM might not be better, so lets stick with the guy who has made us the laughing stock of the league, even though its impossible for us to actually be worse". Real sound reasoning.

Pablo Aimar is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:12 PM
  #182
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashyflash View Post
It's the organization's mentality that is the problem. Players that were made to score should be allowed to do so.

Eric Belanger use to be a 20 goal scorer under phoenix's system, why can't he score here.

A lot of players for some reason come here in the last 5 to 6 years and they seem to not be able to score anymore.

Why is that.
Occams razor deduction is that Belanger can't score because of Belanger. He has absolutely no confidence with the puck.

Theres not a person here that thought he was going to score on a home free breakaway. This being an NHL veteran forward.

Most guys would have some kind of moxie in that situation. Belanger don't, and thats on Belanger to get over. We could use more contribution from him.


The opposite of your bolded deduction is Jones who has scored more here than anywhere else.

Replacement is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:13 PM
  #183
CrazyJoeDavola
Registered User
 
CrazyJoeDavola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 326
vCash: 500
Great goals by Eberle Hills 90210. This could be a turning point for him. Eager and Jones were awesome!

CrazyJoeDavola is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:14 PM
  #184
Hall2Nuge2Ebs
Registered User
 
Hall2Nuge2Ebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,910
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
And if he did and we lost in OT then fans would still be complaining. It's damned if you damned if you don't. IT's not like he threw out Belanger, Smyth, Eager and Hartikanen.
I wouldn't complain if we lost with Yak and Schultz on the ice. You have to admit they give us the greatest chance of scoring on a 4 on 3 in ot. Remember Yak's goal against Phoenix last time? 4 on 3. Remember his goal against LA to tie the game and force overtime? That was a 6 on 5. The guy is a huge threat with the man advantage with his shot which is easily top 2 on our*team. And why didn't he have Schultz on? The guy has a great wristshot from the point and is great at recovering defensively. Easily our best defenseman.

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:15 PM
  #185
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,689
vCash: 500
I wish we had a high energy center to put between Eager and Jones.

That'd be a hell of a line.

dnicks17 is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:16 PM
  #186
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,229
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
I wouldn't complain if we lost with Yak and Schultz on the ice. You have to admit they give us the greatest chance of scoring on a 4 on 3 in ot. Remember Yak's goal against Phoenix last time? 4 on 3. Remember his goal against LA to tie the game and force overtime? That was a 6 on 5. The guy is a huge threat with the man advantage with his shot which is easily top 2 on our*team. And why didn't he have Schultz on? The guy has a great wristshot from the point and is great at recovering defensively. Easily our best defenseman.
Do you remember that Nuge, Gagner, and Hemsky were on the ice along with Schultz when we beat LA?

There's an argument for Schultz but there's an argument for the guys he already had on too.

GreatKeith is online now  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:16 PM
  #187
deep44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Sorry to jump on your case, but my point is probably more to some of the tall foreheads on here. Yes, there are likely some coaching decisions in every game, with every team that can be questioned. For the most part, I think Krueger has done a good job of placing personel where they need to be placed, benching people when needed, putting others in the PB when needed. I can't speak to his systems because I'm not privy to them, and he says they need to work on it this year, so we'll see.

As for not putting Yak on the PP, yes it can be questioned. But to be fair, Yak has looked like a nervous schoolgirl with the puck a lot of times and perhaps Krueger felt he needed a more veteran presence out there in the OT, I don't know. At any rate, it all worked out in the end this time. They chose the right shootout guys.
I agree. Also we have seen in games this year Yak has got minutes late in games, in overtime.. he didn't today it is not the end of the world.. especially since they won.

deep44 is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:16 PM
  #188
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??
 
Ol' Jase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,749
vCash: 500
If I offset praising Ryan Jones with a fire someone holla, does that pass the sniff test in this thread?



Seriously, Jonesy was sorely missed. Had a ton of jump and energy today. 5 shots today, as well.

Ol' Jase is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:17 PM
  #189
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I wish we had a high energy center to put between Eager and Jones.

That'd be a hell of a line.
I was thinking exactly this today. Not a fan of Eager as you know but he's playing well and everything except Belanger looked good there. A very good chaos line could be happening there.

Replacement is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:17 PM
  #190
flashyflash
Ryan Smyth is BATMAN
 
flashyflash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: london
Posts: 395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Good question. It could be Belanger more than the coach. I don't know, you don't know, the only people who would know are in the room.
Looking back at the years we had Eberle's 34 last year.

2009-2010 Penner had 32

2006-07 Smyth had 31 then traded to NYI.

This is the problem if you bring players in that were meant to play offense then let them make mistakes sometimes, usually it will balance out.

Havlat and Gaborik aren't great defensive players you don't see their coaches benching them.

We need to stop thinking backwards.

flashyflash is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:17 PM
  #191
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,176
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashyflash View Post
It's the organization's mentality that is the problem. Players that were made to score should be allowed to do so.

Eric Belanger use to be a 20 goal scorer under phoenix's system, why can't he score here.

A lot of players for some reason come here in the last 5 to 6 years and they seem to not be able to score anymore.

Why is that.
Phoenix has way better d men. Most average players need to go for a deflection or rebound to score goals. Which a shot from the point creates an opportunity for.

raab is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:20 PM
  #192
flashyflash
Ryan Smyth is BATMAN
 
flashyflash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: london
Posts: 395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Occams razor deduction is that Belanger can't score because of Belanger. He has absolutely no confidence with the puck.

Theres not a person here that thought he was going to score on a home free breakaway. This being an NHL veteran forward.

Most guys would have some kind of moxie in that situation. Belanger don't, and thats on Belanger to get over. We could use more contribution from him.


The opposite of your bolded deduction is Jones who has scored more here than anywhere else.

Joffrey Lupul and Eric Cole were lost here.

Ryan Jones makes sense, because he plays two way hockey thats how our group thinks, but we don't have two-way players so the message won't work.

We need to play to our strengths and feels like we don't

flashyflash is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:20 PM
  #193
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,229
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashyflash View Post
Looking back at the years we had Eberle's 34 last year.

2009-2010 Penner had 32

2006-07 Smyth had 31 then traded to NYI.

This is the problem if you bring players in that were meant to play offense then let them make mistakes sometimes, usually it will balance out.

Havlat and Gaborik aren't great defensive players you don't see their coaches benching them.

We need to stop thinking backwards.
Smyth hasn't approached 30 goals since he left.

Penner has less than 10 goals in the regular season since he was traded.

GreatKeith is online now  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:21 PM
  #194
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashyflash View Post
It's the organization's mentality that is the problem. Players that were made to score should be allowed to do so.

Eric Belanger use to be a 20 goal scorer under phoenix's system, why can't he score here.

A lot of players for some reason come here in the last 5 to 6 years and they seem to not be able to score anymore.

Why is that.
I know just what you mean. Our system told him not to score on that breakaway.

Stoneman89 is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:22 PM
  #195
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
If I offset praising Ryan Jones with a fire someone holla, does that pass the sniff test in this thread?



Seriously, Jonesy was sorely missed. Had a ton of jump and energy today. 5 shots today, as well.
Man from the first shift he was serving notice. Simple game, go to the net, go to the net, when in doubt go to the net. Not a bad thing for forwards on this club to be seeing right now.

I was looking up some past zone starts stats and he's one of the few guys on the club that had more opposition end whistles than offensive end starts. Basically the Oilers use Jones mostly for own zone starts and statistically he's managing by and large to force play up ice and at the worst get opposition end faceoffs. Simple game, but effective. The star players get as many opposition end starts as they do thanks to contributions from energy players like this.

Replacement is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:22 PM
  #196
flashyflash
Ryan Smyth is BATMAN
 
flashyflash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: london
Posts: 395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Phoenix has way better d men. Most average players need to go for a deflection or rebound to score goals. Which a shot from the point creates an opportunity for.
Belanger has been a consistent goal scorer most of his career close to 20 goals per year.

Then he came here. only 4 goals.

flashyflash is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:22 PM
  #197
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I was thinking exactly this today. Not a fan of Eager as you know but he's playing well and everything except Belanger looked good there. A very good chaos line could be happening there.
Got a feeling Horcoff will be there when he comes back.

And kudos to your boy Gagner today. He looked good and I'll give credit where credit is due.

Stoneman89 is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:23 PM
  #198
Hall2Nuge2Ebs
Registered User
 
Hall2Nuge2Ebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,910
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Do you remember that Nuge, Gagner, and Hemsky were on the ice along with Schultz when we beat LA?

There's an argument for Schultz but there's an argument for the guys he already had on too.
How about Smyth though? Would you rather have Smyth over Schultz/Yak on the pp?

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:24 PM
  #199
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,229
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
How about Smyth though? Would you rather have Smyth over Schultz/Yak on the pp?
Normally no but he did contribute to the tying goal.

GreatKeith is online now  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:24 PM
  #200
flashyflash
Ryan Smyth is BATMAN
 
flashyflash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: london
Posts: 395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
I know just what you mean. Our system told him not to score on that breakaway.
lol. I was pretty impressed by his half hearted shot along the ice just as much as you were.

I agree that it was a crap attempt, but the point is that we need to let our goal scorers meaning our top players to not worry about all these systems and just go play some hockey.

flashyflash is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.