HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Win 3-2

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 06:09 PM
flashyflash
Ryan Smyth is BATMAN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
So clearly winning hockey games will put us in the bottom 5, right?

If we lose 9 in a row on the road trip, then feel free to call for the coach's head.

Whining after a game in which we were trailing 2-0 and came back to win against a very tight checking team seems like grasping at straws.

Let us enjoy the wins. They might not come often but at least it's nice to watch the team win.

It's the organization's mentality that is the problem. Players that were made to score should be allowed to do so.

Eric Belanger use to be a 20 goal scorer under phoenix's system, why can't he score here.

A lot of players for some reason come here in the last 5 to 6 years and they seem to not be able to score anymore.

Why is that.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:09 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Could trade draft picks away? Sign average free agents (Wideman) to massive contracts?

There's lots that could be done for the team to be in worse shape.
So basically be like Lou Lamorello or Ken Holland? Id rather move a pick and over sign a dman then watch Corey Potter on a consistent basis.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:10 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Okay cool. I'm not even going to mention rebuild, because I don't think you understand that it takes time, and thus you say it's non sense.

Yeah there are some holes. But if you honestly expect a team that is being build from the ground up, is going to be contenders quickly, then your expectations should be tempered.

You think it's impossible to do worst, but as other posters have mentioned, it's possible. Funny how you just immediately don't acknowledge that.
What do you mean? A hypothetical GM could trade away first overall pick for Scott Gomez? Ok I'm wrong I guess you could possibly do worse then Steve Tambellinni.

I'm sorry that I didn't think of situations that have never happened or would happen in real life.

As for the rebuild, I think its people like you who don't understand how it works. No rebuilds have teams place last, last, second last and still have the same damn problems they did 3 years earlier. This isn't a hard concept to understand. How many years are you guys going to give him a pass?

Old
02-23-2013, 06:11 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashyflash View Post
It's the organization's mentality that is the problem. Players that were made to score should be allowed to do so.

Eric Belanger use to be a 20 goal scorer under phoenix's system, why can't he score here.

A lot of players for some reason come here in the last 5 to 6 years and they seem to not be able to score anymore.

Why is that.
Good question. It could be Belanger more than the coach. I don't know, you don't know, the only people who would know are in the room.

Old
Wheatking

So we should keep our bad GM because there is a possibility that the next guy might be worse?

Old
Pablo Aimar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
What's so ridiculous about questioning what ifs? Plenty of posters do that already.
"You know, there is a chance a new GM might not be better, so lets stick with the guy who has made us the laughing stock of the league, even though its impossible for us to actually be worse". Real sound reasoning.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:12 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

Why is that.
Occams razor deduction is that Belanger can't score because of Belanger. He has absolutely no confidence with the puck.

Theres not a person here that thought he was going to score on a home free breakaway. This being an NHL veteran forward.

Most guys would have some kind of moxie in that situation. Belanger don't, and thats on Belanger to get over. We could use more contribution from him.

The opposite of your bolded deduction is Jones who has scored more here than anywhere else.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:13 PM
CrazyJoeDavola

Great goals by Eberle Hills 90210. This could be a turning point for him. Eager and Jones were awesome!

Old
02-23-2013, 06:14 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

Quote:
And if he did and we lost in OT then fans would still be complaining. It's damned if you damned if you don't. IT's not like he threw out Belanger, Smyth, Eager and Hartikanen.
I wouldn't complain if we lost with Yak and Schultz on the ice. You have to admit they give us the greatest chance of scoring on a 4 on 3 in ot. Remember Yak's goal against Phoenix last time? 4 on 3. Remember his goal against LA to tie the game and force overtime? That was a 6 on 5. The guy is a huge threat with the man advantage with his shot which is easily top 2 on our*team. And why didn't he have Schultz on? The guy has a great wristshot from the point and is great at recovering defensively. Easily our best defenseman.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:15 PM
dnicks17

I wish we had a high energy center to put between Eager and Jones.

That'd be a hell of a line.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:16 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
I wouldn't complain if we lost with Yak and Schultz on the ice. You have to admit they give us the greatest chance of scoring on a 4 on 3 in ot. Remember Yak's goal against Phoenix last time? 4 on 3. Remember his goal against LA to tie the game and force overtime? That was a 6 on 5. The guy is a huge threat with the man advantage with his shot which is easily top 2 on our*team. And why didn't he have Schultz on? The guy has a great wristshot from the point and is great at recovering defensively. Easily our best defenseman.
Do you remember that Nuge, Gagner, and Hemsky were on the ice along with Schultz when we beat LA?

There's an argument for Schultz but there's an argument for the guys he already had on too.

Old
deep44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Sorry to jump on your case, but my point is probably more to some of the tall foreheads on here. Yes, there are likely some coaching decisions in every game, with every team that can be questioned. For the most part, I think Krueger has done a good job of placing personel where they need to be placed, benching people when needed, putting others in the PB when needed. I can't speak to his systems because I'm not privy to them, and he says they need to work on it this year, so we'll see.

As for not putting Yak on the PP, yes it can be questioned. But to be fair, Yak has looked like a nervous schoolgirl with the puck a lot of times and perhaps Krueger felt he needed a more veteran presence out there in the OT, I don't know. At any rate, it all worked out in the end this time. They chose the right shootout guys.
I agree. Also we have seen in games this year Yak has got minutes late in games, in overtime.. he didn't today it is not the end of the world.. especially since they won.

Old
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

If I offset praising Ryan Jones with a fire someone holla, does that pass the sniff test in this thread?

Seriously, Jonesy was sorely missed. Had a ton of jump and energy today. 5 shots today, as well.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:17 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I wish we had a high energy center to put between Eager and Jones.

That'd be a hell of a line.
I was thinking exactly this today. Not a fan of Eager as you know but he's playing well and everything except Belanger looked good there. A very good chaos line could be happening there.

Old
flashyflash
Ryan Smyth is BATMAN

Quote:
Good question. It could be Belanger more than the coach. I don't know, you don't know, the only people who would know are in the room.
Looking back at the years we had Eberle's 34 last year.

2009-2010 Penner had 32

2006-07 Smyth had 31 then traded to NYI.

This is the problem if you bring players in that were meant to play offense then let them make mistakes sometimes, usually it will balance out.

Havlat and Gaborik aren't great defensive players you don't see their coaches benching them.

We need to stop thinking backwards.

Old
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:

Why is that.
Phoenix has way better d men. Most average players need to go for a deflection or rebound to score goals. Which a shot from the point creates an opportunity for.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:20 PM
flashyflash
Ryan Smyth is BATMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Occams razor deduction is that Belanger can't score because of Belanger. He has absolutely no confidence with the puck.

Theres not a person here that thought he was going to score on a home free breakaway. This being an NHL veteran forward.

Most guys would have some kind of moxie in that situation. Belanger don't, and thats on Belanger to get over. We could use more contribution from him.

The opposite of your bolded deduction is Jones who has scored more here than anywhere else.

Joffrey Lupul and Eric Cole were lost here.

Ryan Jones makes sense, because he plays two way hockey thats how our group thinks, but we don't have two-way players so the message won't work.

We need to play to our strengths and feels like we don't

Old
02-23-2013, 06:20 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Looking back at the years we had Eberle's 34 last year.

2009-2010 Penner had 32

2006-07 Smyth had 31 then traded to NYI.

This is the problem if you bring players in that were meant to play offense then let them make mistakes sometimes, usually it will balance out.

Havlat and Gaborik aren't great defensive players you don't see their coaches benching them.

We need to stop thinking backwards.
Smyth hasn't approached 30 goals since he left.

Penner has less than 10 goals in the regular season since he was traded.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:21 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:

Why is that.
I know just what you mean. Our system told him not to score on that breakaway.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:22 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
If I offset praising Ryan Jones with a fire someone holla, does that pass the sniff test in this thread?

Seriously, Jonesy was sorely missed. Had a ton of jump and energy today. 5 shots today, as well.
Man from the first shift he was serving notice. Simple game, go to the net, go to the net, when in doubt go to the net. Not a bad thing for forwards on this club to be seeing right now.

I was looking up some past zone starts stats and he's one of the few guys on the club that had more opposition end whistles than offensive end starts. Basically the Oilers use Jones mostly for own zone starts and statistically he's managing by and large to force play up ice and at the worst get opposition end faceoffs. Simple game, but effective. The star players get as many opposition end starts as they do thanks to contributions from energy players like this.

Old
flashyflash
Ryan Smyth is BATMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Phoenix has way better d men. Most average players need to go for a deflection or rebound to score goals. Which a shot from the point creates an opportunity for.
Belanger has been a consistent goal scorer most of his career close to 20 goals per year.

Then he came here. only 4 goals.

Old
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I was thinking exactly this today. Not a fan of Eager as you know but he's playing well and everything except Belanger looked good there. A very good chaos line could be happening there.
Got a feeling Horcoff will be there when he comes back.

And kudos to your boy Gagner today. He looked good and I'll give credit where credit is due.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:23 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

Quote:
Do you remember that Nuge, Gagner, and Hemsky were on the ice along with Schultz when we beat LA?

There's an argument for Schultz but there's an argument for the guys he already had on too.
How about Smyth though? Would you rather have Smyth over Schultz/Yak on the pp?

Old
02-23-2013, 06:24 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
How about Smyth though? Would you rather have Smyth over Schultz/Yak on the pp?
Normally no but he did contribute to the tying goal.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:24 PM
flashyflash
Ryan Smyth is BATMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
I know just what you mean. Our system told him not to score on that breakaway.
lol. I was pretty impressed by his half hearted shot along the ice just as much as you were.

I agree that it was a crap attempt, but the point is that we need to let our goal scorers meaning our top players to not worry about all these systems and just go play some hockey.

Closed Thread