HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers-Kings

Old
02-23-2013, 05:45 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhauler View Post
a swap of 2 guys that have been healthy scratches for there teams
Ryan Whitney and Dustin Penner
the Oilers need a big winger and the kings need some help on D with the injuries.
thoughts?
problem is the Oilers have a plenthra of wingers

Hall
Yakupov
Smyth
Eberle
hartikein
Eager
Hemsky
MPS
Pettrell

I like Penner proffessionalism--I think the oilers would need to send someone like Ryan Smyth back to add him

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:36 AM
bzur

vCash: 500
I'd be interested to see how Penner would do under Kruger.. Not sure LA will be trading with Edmonton any time soon though.

bzur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 07:34 PM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhauler View Post
a swap of 2 guys that have been healthy scratches for there teams
Ryan Whitney and Dustin Penner
the Oilers need a big winger and the kings need some help on D with the injuries.
thoughts?
I liked Penner when he was in Edmonton , but his time has come and gone . We do not want him back . thank you , but keep him now that you have him

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 07:38 PM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
why are oilers always trying to peddle whitney on others. nobody want shim.
Same reason the Kings are alway trying to peddle Simon Gagne and Dustin Penner on everyone else . They have no uses for them any more . Whitney is the same for us no use other then a bench warmer , but he could still find his game .

Old
02-23-2013, 10:18 PM
gonnaneedsomewine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
You are out of your freakin mind. Did you even watch the playoffs last year? Penner was a beast during the playoffs. It's completely unfounded and ignorant with blind hate if you think Penner did not contribute to the cup run.

I don't care what kind of regular season Penner is having or will have. He's looked much better these last 3 games, and if he plays remotely close in the playoffs as he did during last year's, it's worth that gamble.
Yes I did watch the playoffs. Disagree completely with you on Penner. He was not a "beast" at all. He was horrible against San Jose two years ago. Last year he was nothing special. Wasn't as awful as the regular season, but not nearly as good as some people think he was. Kings would have won the Cup without him. A lot of his "success" was just a byproduct of playing on a line with Richards and Carter

Just call it how it is. The guy is an absolute dog. There's a reason he's been a healthy scratch many times in his career, there's a reason he's been on 3 different teams.

There's a reason why after his alleged "beastly" playoff run, he could only fetch a one year deal worth 3.25 million. Yeah, I know he said he wanted to stay with the Kings, but if he got a legitimiate longer term offer from any other team, I guarantee you he takes it and runs with it.

Joel Ward was a pedestrian third line grinder for the Predators who averaged around 30 points a year. He had a "beast" playoff run with 7 goals and 6 assists in 12 games in the 2011 playoffs and got a 4 year 12 million dollar deal. How come Penner, a former 30 goal scorer, could not secure a similar deal? Because everyone in the league knows the guy is a dog. No one wants him. He's an unlikeable guy, has a poor work ethic, doesn't play hard every night, and is lazy. Why DL chose to bring him back is beyond me.

gonnaneedsomewine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:33 PM
Reclamation Project
Technically, Missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
Same reason the Kings are alway trying to peddle Simon Gagne and Dustin Penner on everyone else . They have no uses for them any more . Whitney is the same for us no use other then a bench warmer , but he could still find his game .
Since when do the Kings peddle Simon Gagne or Dustin Penner? All the proposals I've seen are from other fan bases wanting either one. It usually ends with... "They aren't very good and you should take what you can now..."

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:42 PM
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Instead give us your 7th d-man and I'll be happy.
Well, we're currently using our 9th dman... would you like our 10th?

Martyros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:44 PM
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
...I'm not looking forward to dealing either of them, unless of course Milbury comes out of nowhere and throws a Spezza/Chara at us...

Old
02-23-2013, 11:48 PM
johnjm22

Am I the only one who thinks Penner has been pretty good for us?

He should have never been benched. He got off to a slow start, but so did everyone else on the team.

King, Stoll, and Lewis (up until recently) have been completely worthless. Much more so than Penner.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:56 PM
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post

He should have never been benched. He got off to a slow start, but so did everyone else on the team.

King, Stoll, and Lewis (up until recently) have been completely worthless. Much more so than Penner.
No. The last 3 games he's played pretty well for the hate he's been getting. He made a great pass tonight for Kopi's goal.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:01 AM
oilerbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonite View Post
We've had Penner before. He only uses his size sometimes and we really don't need another inconsistent winger, whether he's big or not.
Penner goals per season with oilers.
07-08 23G
08-09 17G
09-10 32G
10-11 21G
in 3.75 seasons he averaged 25G/season 25 Assist/Season
20th best goal total for wingers in that period of time.

This pretty much makes you an awful GM.
What we saw from penner:
top 20 winger in scoring.
Strong PP player
Strong puck pocession
Teamates were 25% better in PT production playing with him.

There was a whole collection of fools im EDM who ran him out of town cause he would not body check.
and his long leg stride made him look like he was slow.
Go back and look at video of him when he was in stride with cogliano.
He stayed with him. less strides to cover the same distance.
Fools.

I want him playing on our team, too.

Last edited by oilerbear: 02-24-2013 at 12:07 AM.
oilerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:09 AM
Reclamation Project
Technically, Missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post

Every game (he's played recently) I have seen an improvement.

Last edited by Reclamation Project: 02-24-2013 at 12:23 AM.
Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:02 PM
vespa99

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoForRoughing View Post
Don't know about Whitney, but Penner certainly isn't worthless. He's been playing really well, actually, the last few games with Stoll and King.
Ae you talking about DUSTIN Penner? Or do you have another Penner on the team? Because yes, Dustin Penner is worthless.

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:08 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50

no organization needs to add, both are very inconsistent and come out their shells when it's play-off time.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:19 PM
bral
Go Kings!

To LA: Matt Frattin

To EDM: Jake Gardiner

To TO: Penner,Smyth, King, Whitney

bral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:57 PM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
Since when do the Kings peddle Simon Gagne or Dustin Penner? All the proposals I've seen are from other fan bases wanting either one. It usually ends with... "They aren't very good and you should take what you can now..."
You maybe be right on Gagne , but i see lots of Penner trades from LA fans going back as far as last year .

Old
02-24-2013, 06:24 PM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnaneedsomewine View Post
Yes I did watch the playoffs. Disagree completely with you on Penner. He was not a "beast" at all. He was horrible against San Jose two years ago. Last year he was nothing special. Wasn't as awful as the regular season, but not nearly as good as some people think he was. Kings would have won the Cup without him. A lot of his "success" was just a byproduct of playing on a line with Richards and Carter

Just call it how it is. The guy is an absolute dog. There's a reason he's been a healthy scratch many times in his career, there's a reason he's been on 3 different teams.

There's a reason why after his alleged "beastly" playoff run, he could only fetch a one year deal worth 3.25 million. Yeah, I know he said he wanted to stay with the Kings, but if he got a legitimiate longer term offer from any other team, I guarantee you he takes it and runs with it.

Joel Ward was a pedestrian third line grinder for the Predators who averaged around 30 points a year. He had a "beast" playoff run with 7 goals and 6 assists in 12 games in the 2011 playoffs and got a 4 year 12 million dollar deal. How come Penner, a former 30 goal scorer, could not secure a similar deal? Because everyone in the league knows the guy is a dog. No one wants him. He's an unlikeable guy, has a poor work ethic, doesn't play hard every night, and is lazy. Why DL chose to bring him back is beyond me.
All I'm getting from this is you don't like the guy. Sorry, just calling it like i see it. You say things like "He's an unlikable guy", yet there is no support to this other than your own feelings.

Sounds to me like you are expecting penner to be this 30 goal scoring force on a defensive minded team. He struggled last year yes. To say he didn't have a strong playoff performance though is just hate. There's a reason he played in the top 6 with richards and carter during the playoffs. He was a force and created room for richards.

Penner has been great these past 4 games. He's starting to use his size on the puck and works his ass off on the backcheck. He does need to start chipping in with some goals, but he is a far, far better option than Whitney at this point, no matter how much you hate him.

Winger23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:28 PM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa99 View Post
Ae you talking about DUSTIN Penner? Or do you have another Penner on the team? Because yes, Dustin Penner is worthless.
Yup, please let us keep this worthless player, I hated watching him help bring the CUP to LA in the playoffs. /shrug.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:01 AM
gonnaneedsomewine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
All I'm getting from this is you don't like the guy. Sorry, just calling it like i see it. You say things like "He's an unlikable guy", yet there is no support to this other than your own feelings.

Sounds to me like you are expecting penner to be this 30 goal scoring force on a defensive minded team. He struggled last year yes. To say he didn't have a strong playoff performance though is just hate. There's a reason he played in the top 6 with richards and carter during the playoffs. He was a force and created room for richards.

Penner has been great these past 4 games. He's starting to use his size on the puck and works his ass off on the backcheck. He does need to start chipping in with some goals, but he is a far, far better option than Whitney at this point, no matter how much you hate him.
And I think you're being overprotective of him just because he's on the Kings and was on the roster when they won last year. Just because Mike Miller was on the Heat last year doesn't make him one of the "forces" that led Miami to the NBA title. Penner was not a force last year in the playoffs. He was better than the regular season (couldn't be worse), but he was not a "force" or a "beast."

No one would have wanted the guy on the open market. There is no chance he would've got any type of security after the crap he pulled in Edmonton. They know what he is. Craig MacTavish said it perfectly. He said when we signed Penner to that 4 year deal, we thought of it as a starting point, but Penner thought of it as the finish line.

Basically, well I did my part in lining up a contract, now I can coast. Why Dean Lombardi would want a guy like that anywhere near this team is beyond me, especially with the way he values character i.e. Brown, Williams, Greene, Mitchell, etc. You'd be better off bringing in a guy like Alexander Semin for a year than Penner, because even though Semin will take games off and isn't great defensively, at least he has more skill, a deadly wrist shot, is a better finisher, works well on the PP, and is annual threat to score 30 goals.

I honestly don't know how you can like a guy that dogs it all season. There's a reason Sutter rode him so hard last year. There's a reason he's a healthy scratch. The fact that he's a professional athlete and has to be constantly threatened with scratches/benchings just to motivate him is a major character flaw.

gonnaneedsomewine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:27 AM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnaneedsomewine View Post
And I think you're being overprotective of him just because he's on the Kings and was on the roster when they won last year. Just because Mike Miller was on the Heat last year doesn't make him one of the "forces" that led Miami to the NBA title. Penner was not a force last year in the playoffs. He was better than the regular season (couldn't be worse), but he was not a "force" or a "beast."

No one would have wanted the guy on the open market. There is no chance he would've got any type of security after the crap he pulled in Edmonton. They know what he is. Craig MacTavish said it perfectly. He said when we signed Penner to that 4 year deal, we thought of it as a starting point, but Penner thought of it as the finish line.

Basically, well I did my part in lining up a contract, now I can coast. Why Dean Lombardi would want a guy like that anywhere near this team is beyond me, especially with the way he values character i.e. Brown, Williams, Greene, Mitchell, etc. You'd be better off bringing in a guy like Alexander Semin for a year than Penner, because even though Semin will take games off and isn't great defensively, at least he has more skill, a deadly wrist shot, is a better finisher, works well on the PP, and is annual threat to score 30 goals.

I honestly don't know how you can like a guy that dogs it all season. There's a reason Sutter rode him so hard last year. There's a reason he's a healthy scratch. The fact that he's a professional athlete and has to be constantly threatened with scratches/benchings just to motivate him is a major character flaw.
I don't watch basketball, so I don't even know who Mike Miller is. But what I'm taking away from this is Lebron/Wade were the "forces" that led Miami. Unless someone else on the team was scoring 30 a night they were not a force, regardless if they shut someone down on D or anything else.

I'm dumbfounded on what to say next. If you cant see how great of playoffs Penner had then unless the guy is netting 40 goals a year he's going to suck in your eyes.

Luckily for us DL seems to know a lot more about the "character" of these guys than you do. Just maybe, just maybe your questioning of Penner's character is unfounded.

And you are saying DL should have brought in a 7 million dollar question mark in Semin? you want DL to pay someone 7 million a year for a guy who you just admitted takes games off and isn't great defensively, on a defensive minded team. Brilliant. The problem here is it's not about Semin, it's about Whitney.

This thread has run it's course. It's appearent you don't like Penner at all, and that's fine. Bottom line trading Penner for Whitney does nothing to improve the Kings at all.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:01 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Despite the cheeseburglar losing his scoring touch I still think we could get more than Whitney.
Depends what DL wants, but I tend to agree that he's getting undervalued. Big players that have potential hold value. Pretty sure teams are going to forget all his bad and remember the good going into the playoffs.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:07 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzur View Post
I'd be interested to see how Penner would do under Kruger.. Not sure LA will be trading with Edmonton any time soon though.
Makes me wonder if this were say San Jose with Penner and Calgary with Whitney, would this deal be more accepted.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:13 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Makes me wonder if this were say San Jose with Penner and Calgary with Whitney, would this deal be more accepted.
Well i think it would help with dean but i still say penner has more value then whitney

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:22 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
Well i think it would help with dean but i still say penner has more value then whitney
I'd say so too, but I don't think it's exactly that far fetched.

The problem with these boards is while a trade might not be quite equal, no one takes into account that all that really would have to be done to make up the difference is a pick.

If Sutter and Lombardi like Whitney who knows, there could be something worked out with these two guys.

Will something happen, probably not, but it's not that far fetched.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:41 PM
Perro

1) LA needs a stay at home d-man. I do not think Whitney fits this.
2) I do think Edmonton needs to add some size, however as previously posted they are full of wingers
3) DL seems like the typ that holds a grudge

All the above = no trade.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote