HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Win 3-2

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 06:26 PM
Replacement
Checked out

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashyflash View Post
Joffrey Lupul and Eric Cole were lost here.

Ryan Jones makes sense, because he plays two way hockey thats how our group thinks, but we don't have two-way players so the message won't work.

We need to play to our strengths and feels like we don't
Lupul is a weird cat and at no point did it look like he wanted to be here. I met him when he was younger in Ft. Sask. Really the impression I got is somebody that wants to move on in the world and be somewhere else. Not blaming him either. Not everybody likes this region.

I was a big Cole fan, agree the team didn't use him to best advantage but he wasn't healthy either. The right decision would've been to retain him and wait for him to get healthy. Similarly with Stoll. This team does get rid of players when they shouldn't.

Coles a really good example and would've been helpful. Trouble is when the org went into tank mode a guy like Cole doesn't fit.

Old
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Belanger has been a consistent goal scorer most of his career close to 20 goals per year.

Then he came here. only 4 goals.
Look at our d, no shot presence from the point. Schultz has a good wrister but it's not going to create a lot of rebounds if the goalie sees it. I guarantee every other team Belanger played on had a big shot from the point. Also its not just Belanger its our entire bottom 6, coincidence?

Old
deep44

Quote:
It's the organization's mentality that is the problem. Players that were made to score should be allowed to do so.

Eric Belanger use to be a 20 goal scorer under phoenix's system, why can't he score here.

A lot of players for some reason come here in the last 5 to 6 years and they seem to not be able to score anymore.

Why is that.
Eric Belanger highest goal total was 17 in 2005-06, and 2006-07, he scored 13 goals in one season with phx. He has never scored 20 goals with anyone. Also that year with Phx he had the 3rd highest minutes for forwards.

Old
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

A lot of people got the feeling Cole didn't want to be here.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:27 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
Smyth didn't play on that line, Jones did, Smyth was on for one shift, but I agree the line as such played well. Jones is well needed.

As for the coaching, I think it's way too soon to talk about firing anyone and to claim Yakupov was our best player is just not true. However it was an odd move to take Yakupov off the first line when he was the one who actually got that line going. Only reason I can see is that he was benched for his sloppy giveaway in the neutral zone as a lesson for the future, which I guess is ok, we need to avoid him getting the bad habits of Hall and Eberle. But to hand out lessons when we need a win after a few losses, I don't know. Seemed to me he played not to lose.

Overall an ok game, we were the better team and should have won in regulation. Didn't really have much luck with the calls either. So a step forward and I hope they stick with the lines that started the 3rd. Yak looked good on the 1st line and MPS did as well with Gagner and Hemsky.
Derp. Don't know what I was thinking when I posted that.

My mistake.

I hope no posters call for me to get canned for making that post.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:28 PM
McDangler97
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Normally no but he did contribute to the tying goal.
Yak contributed to the first goal though. Don't get me wrong I love me some Smytty but on the pp I would rather have Yak/Schultz as they give us a better chance of closing out games and are two of our best performers on the pp.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:30 PM
flashyflash
Ryan Smyth is BATMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Lupul is a weird cat and at no point did it look like he wanted to be here. I met him when he was younger in Ft. Sask. Really the impression I got is somebody that wants to move on in the world and be somewhere else. Not blaming him either. Not everybody likes this region.

I was a big Cole fan, agree the team didn't use him to best advantage but he wasn't healthy either. The right decision would've been to retain him and wait for him to get healthy. Similarly with Stoll. This team does get rid of players when they shouldn't.

Coles a really good example and would've been helpful. Trouble is when the org went into tank mode a guy like Cole doesn't fit.
By all means not everything is bad with this organization, I just feel that Management feels to comfortable in their place when really when you finish 30th, 30th and 29th. Improvements have to be shown, we have gone backwards in our play this year and weirdly almost in the play-offs.

I just can't figure them out anymore. Hurts my head.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:30 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
A lot of people got the feeling Cole didn't want to be here.
Cole was a UFA. Trading Pitkanen for Cole was easily one of Lowes worst deals.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:31 PM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
How about Smyth though? Would you rather have Smyth over Schultz/Yak on the pp?
Smyth was the best forward on the ice today and very involved in the play. The job of any pro coach is to access who is going on any given day and use them. Smyth is a much better playmaker than people give him credit for and especially with open ice.

Without a brilliant pass deflection from Smyth we're not even talking about what the club did in OT.

I give Kreuger credit for this much as well. Phoenix was missing two of their best shootout guys in the lineup today. So you make sure you don't screw up in OT and at worst you get the shootout, and high likelihood of winning out there.

With the shooter lineups available today we Win 80% of the time easy. Kreuger I imagine realized this as well.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:31 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Occams razor deduction is that Belanger can't score because of Belanger. He has absolutely no confidence with the puck.

Theres not a person here that thought he was going to score on a home free breakaway. This being an NHL veteran forward.

Most guys would have some kind of moxie in that situation. Belanger don't, and thats on Belanger to get over. We could use more contribution from him.

The opposite of your bolded deduction is Jones who has scored more here than anywhere else.

Absolutely correct. This is on Belanger and no one else. The rest of his game is fine. If he scores one, it may help, it may not. I can't get into his head, but confidence is a tricky thing, and he needs to work through it, not be brow-beaten. And feeding off other players is for real. If the real gunslingers on this team start potting some goals, I think the runoff to the rest of the team will happen, and the pressure will be off a lot of guys.

And FTR, Ryan Jones was freaking amazing today considering this was his first game. Hope he can keep some of that adrenaline going for a few more before the inevitible crash. He and Eager should be inspiring others to play that gritty style.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:32 PM
flashyflash
Ryan Smyth is BATMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdeol44 View Post
Eric Belanger highest goal total was 17 in 2005-06, and 2006-07, he scored 13 goals in one season with phx. He has never scored 20 goals with anyone. Also that year with Phx he had the 3rd highest minutes for forwards.
Yes you're right, my mistake on that. The drop off is more of what I was getting at.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:34 PM
deep44

Quote:
Yes you're right, my mistake on that. The drop off is more of what I was getting at.
agreed.. thought he would be able to chip in more then he has. Almost know at this point when he shoots there is no chance of it going in.

Old
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Probably wished they woulda lost right?
Serious question Tad. Were you cheering for losses when the team was tanking for Hall, RNH and Yakupov?

imo there's no place in GDT for calling people out saying they should go into hibernation, get more hugs, take their bi-polar meds etc.
Some fans don't like the way this team operates, doesn't mean they aren't every bit the fan you are.

Old
flashyflash
Ryan Smyth is BATMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Absolutely correct. This is on Belanger and no one else. The rest of his game is fine. If he scores one, it may help, it may not. I can't get into his head, but confidence is a tricky thing, and he needs to work through it, not be brow-beaten. And feeding off other players is for real. If the real gunslingers on this team start potting some goals, I think the runoff to the rest of the team will happen, and the pressure will be off a lot of guys.

And FTR, Ryan Jones was freaking amazing today considering this was his first game. Hope he can keep some of that adrenaline going for a few more before the inevitible crash. He and Eager should be inspiring others to play that gritty style.

Thats another thing why does it feel like players lose their confidence in goal scoring here.

Only Ryan Smyth likes scoring with this team in the last 10 years.

It really is mind boggling that the Oilers haven't had a true goal scorer for a very long time.

I am hoping it becomes Eberle or Yak...really I hope anyone I just want them to play consistent hockey.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:35 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
lol. I was pretty impressed by his half hearted shot along the ice just as much as you were.

I agree that it was a crap attempt, but the point is that we need to let our goal scorers meaning our top players to not worry about all these systems and just go play some hockey.

Confidence man, confidence. It is an amazing thing. Some call it moxie, others refer to it as mojo. When you have it, you do nearly everything right. And even when you make a mistake, it doesn't matter because you climb right back on the horse and go forward again. When you lose it, it is really hard to get back, and like climbing up a escalator going down. This team really needs some confidence badly. How they get it, is to have faith in what their coach tells them, continue to believe in themselves, and work their tails off with no shortcuts and do all the dirty work.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:37 PM
flashyflash
Ryan Smyth is BATMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdeol44 View Post
agreed.. thought he would be able to chip in more then he has. Almost know at this point when he shoots there is no chance of it going in.
But we see it with more players when they come here than not.

Do players really hate playing here?

Or is it they don't like Lowe and Tambo.

Confidence has been gone far too long for this organization.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:39 PM
flashyflash
Ryan Smyth is BATMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Confidence man, confidence. It is an amazing thing. Some call it moxie, others refer to it as mojo. When you have it, you do nearly everything right. And even when you make a mistake, it doesn't matter because you climb right back on the horse and go forward again. When you lose it, it is really hard to get back, and like climbing up a escalator going down. This team really needs some confidence badly. How they get it, is to have faith in what their coach tells them, continue to believe in themselves, and work their tails off with no shortcuts and do all the dirty work.
This is why I am frustrated with the coaching today. How does a goal scorer like Yakupov gain confidence knowing he's not allowed to make a mistake and still become a great goal scorer with this organization.

You don't do that stuff, he killed his momentum.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:39 PM
Tad McMikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Serious question Tad. Were you cheering for losses when the team was tanking for Hall, RNH and Yakupov?

imo there's no place in GDT for calling people out saying they should go into hibernation, get more hugs, take their bi-polar meds etc.
Some fans don't like the way this team operates, doesn't mean they aren't every bit the fan you are.
Nope. As far as I'm concerned, hoping for the team losing, be it for new management or to tank, is pathetic.

Never said for hibernation or get more hugs.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:40 PM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
Thats another thing why does it feel like players lose their confidence in goal scoring here.

It really is mind boggling that the Oilers haven't had a true goal scorer for a very long time.

I am hoping it becomes Eberle or Yak...really I hope anyone I just want them to play consistent hockey.
Eberle was just last year. The reality is in present day NHL Not many instances of 40 goals.

I think Yak could be that guy, possibly Eberle if he really bears down and keeps working hard his career. Hall another guy.

One of the problems on this club is the reliance on perfect cross ice plays instead of more guys earning a living on crashing and cashing.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:41 PM
GMofOilers

Another one saying Jones was awesome, this team missed him. We need a player like this on our team.

Old
McDangler97
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Smyth was the best forward on the ice today and very involved in the play. The job of any pro coach is to access who is going on any given day and use them. Smyth is a much better playmaker than people give him credit for and especially with open ice.

Without a brilliant pass deflection from Smyth we're not even talking about what the club did in OT.

I give Kreuger credit for this much as well. Phoenix was missing two of their best shootout guys in the lineup today. So you make sure you don't screw up in OT and at worst you get the shootout, and high likelihood of winning out there.

With the shooter lineups available today we Win 80% of the time easy. Kreuger I imagine realized this as well.
I don't believe in a coach passing up on the chance to bury the other team on a 4 on 3 in ot. Does Smyth even have a PP or GWG this year? Oh that's right he usually doesn't get PP time. Wouldn't that ruin the chemistry of the other players who are usually on the PP together? Yak has already beaten Phoenix in the same situation, why bench him for Smyth who is rusty on the pp? Just doesn't make any sense whatsoever

Old
Arpeggio

Quote:

Eberle is already a true goal scorer in my opinion. He's slumping right now and he's got six goals, and he scored over 30 last year. Hall should be a lock for thirty every year too.

Old
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
I don't believe in a coach passing up on the chance to bury the other team on a 4 on 3 in ot. Does Smyth even have a PP or GWG this year? Oh that's right he usually doesn't get PP time. Wouldn't that ruin the chemistry of the other players who are usually on the PP together? Yak has already beaten Phoenix in the same situation, why bench him for Smyth who is rusty on the pp? Just doesn't make any sense whatsoever
Smyth wasn't on the PP in OT.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:44 PM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
This is why I am frustrated with the coaching today. How does a goal scorer like Yakupov gain confidence knowing he's not allowed to make a mistake and still become a great goal scorer with this organization.

You don't do that stuff, he killed his momentum.
You know what, for a kid like this he's probably a bit thankful not all cameras and eyes are always on him. Theres time for that and he'll rise to it when he's ready.

Yak has the real advantage that for the first time in a longtime we're developing a star and the expectations aren't huge. Jason Arnott was a fantastic rookie player but the Oilers almost ruined his game by expecting so much from an 18 yr old right off the bat. They got it too, that first year, but Arnott was quickly burning out from the pressure.

The NHL is an amazing place, high pressure sports, much more than say KHL or anything Yak has seen before. He's a bit awestruck at times.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:44 PM
flashyflash
Ryan Smyth is BATMAN

Quote:
Eberle was just last year. The reality is in present day NHL Not many instances of 40 goals.

I think Yak could be that guy, possibly Eberle if he really bears down and keeps working hard his career. Hall another guy.

One of the problems on this club is the reliance on perfect cross ice plays instead of more guys earning a living on crashing and cashing.

I agree. I don't expect perfection from this club either they are all very young and the core of the team which is a great asset.

I just hope we don't kill their drive. As I stated in my last post. You need to let your goal scorers make mistakes sometimes to learn, not glue them to the bench right away. It doesn't do anything, if he does it twice then tell him to piss off lol.

Closed Thread