HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Johnson; 2nd line center?

Old
07-15-2006, 02:23 PM
felixd

vCash: 500
Johnson; 2nd line center?

I looked around for a thread like this but couldn't find one, do you guys think BG got Johnson to play on the 2nd line, or at leat push Ribeiro HARD for that spot?(Could be an very nifty strategy, if you get some real competition for Ribeiro for that 2nd line spot, you get both players playing better instead of merely being satisifed with a guaranteed top 6 spot)
If you look at Johnson and Ribeiro's two best seasons, they are eerily similar in terms of goals and points, and between Samsonov and Kovalev, I doubt Johnson would have trouble getting 60 points again.

Anyways, a little internal competition is always a good thing and I wouldn't be surprised seeing Johnson center our 2nd line at times this season.

felixd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 02:27 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Yeah, a thread discussing our 2nd line center, we haven't seen those in a while.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 02:30 PM
the Maniac

Mike Johnson is, of course, listed as a RW (no mention he's played centre - anyone know better?) but it would be intriguing to at least try him out as the second line centre... however, I'd prefer, personally, to keep him on the third line and go out and trade to get Robert Lang (experience, both in the league and, especially, with Kovy )... or, at the very least give Ribeiro one final chance at redemption...

the Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 02:32 PM
znk

well...Gainey said in his press conference that he saw him as a 3rd line right winger.
Carbo said he was a 3rd 4th line guy in his mind.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 02:32 PM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
Yeah, a thread discussing our 2nd line center, we haven't seen those in a while.
I meant one discussing Johnson specifically as our 2nd line center.

And, I'm pretty sure on TSN's profile, he is listed as C/RW

felixd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 02:35 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd View Post
I meant one discussing Johnson specifically as our 2nd line center.

And, I'm pretty sure on TSN's profile, he is listed as C/RW
Wich implies replacing Ribeiro, wich implies a debate between Ribs vs. Any player, wich has been done to death.
If Ribs falters or is injuried he may get a try. But from Carbo's mouth he is slated as the 3rd line rw and Ribs is still our 2nd line C.

Old
07-15-2006, 02:49 PM
Squeaky

This has been covered before. The GM and the Coach have both publically said they view him as a bottom-6 player, and a winger. He's listed as a center/winger, but really he's a winger. He has quite a bit more experience on the wing.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 02:54 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
well...Gainey said in his press conference that he saw him as a 3rd line right winger.

yes and remember steve begin was a 4th liner who gainey had playing on the second line at times last year

things change rapidly .injuries and players struggling etc

it wouldnt suprise me if ribs isnt cutting it or cant keep up they try johnson between sammy and kovy. or they move up pleks on the second line to center kovy /sammy or sammy/ johnson or kovy/ johnson

johnson has the skill enuff to play along side Ladislav Nagy in phx .
many said when he was put on a line where guy's were struggling he jumps starts the entire line

for everyone who hasnt seen him play clic on recent video's you can see johnson first hand .2 pages worth of his goals

to increse the screen size wait till it starts to play and right clic on the video and clic on zoom .

http://www.nhl.com/players/8466109.html

--

Last edited by Artyukhin*: 07-15-2006 at 03:03 PM.
Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 04:25 PM
Teufelsdreck

I don't think Gainey and Carbonneau could make it any clearer: Johnson will play at right wing, and he won't replace Ryder or Kovalev.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 04:30 PM
the Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I don't think Gainey and Carbonneau could make it any clearer: Johnson will play at right wing, and he won't replace Ryder or Kovalev.
Well... that clears it all up

Perhaps, if not Ribs... then Plekanec would be more than capable to play with the big boys (Sammy and Kovy) IMO... allowing a defensive presense on an otherwise offensely gifted line... relegating Ribs to centreing Johnson and who? Perez, Kost?

Old
07-15-2006, 04:38 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
yes and remember steve begin was a 4th liner who gainey had playing on the second line at times last year

things change rapidly .injuries and players struggling etc

it wouldnt suprise me if ribs isnt cutting it or cant keep up they try johnson between sammy and kovy. or they move up pleks on the second line to center kovy /sammy or sammy/ johnson or kovy/ johnson

johnson has the skill enuff to play along side Ladislav Nagy in phx .
many said when he was put on a line where guy's were struggling he jumps starts the entire line
Almost all of his goals were in front of the net.

for everyone who hasnt seen him play clic on recent video's you can see johnson first hand .2 pages worth of his goals

to increse the screen size wait till it starts to play and right clic on the video and clic on zoom .

http://www.nhl.com/players/8466109.html

--

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 04:39 PM
KaptainKourage*

Johnson can play wing, Ribeiro cant.

/close thread

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 04:50 PM
F. Duchemin

Send a message via MSN to F. Duchemin
Dont be so sure markov79... you dont know if a center is gonna be injured and maybe johnson will fill in and do a great job and after they wont broke the lines.

F. Duchemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 05:04 PM
dude_guy9

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Maniac View Post
Mike Johnson is, of course, listed as a RW (no mention he's played centre - anyone know better?) but it would be intriguing to at least try him out as the second line centre... however, I'd prefer, personally, to keep him on the third line and go out and trade to get Robert Lang (experience, both in the league and, especially, with Kovy )... or, at the very least give Ribeiro one final chance at redemption...

Lang would be a great fit, but along with his talent he also carries a $3.8 million contract. Trading for him might also be tough, sure Aebischer would fit great in Detroit but who else would we give up

dude_guy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 05:13 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I don't see how a 60+ points guy can only be a 3rd/4th liner.

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 05:21 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail View Post
I don't think he was on the 3rd line in Phoenix. We just have better depth.

Old
07-15-2006, 05:22 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail View Post
He's replacing Bulis. I hope you dont want to put him ahead of Kovalev and Ryder.
Our 3rd line will kick ***.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 05:52 PM
KaptainKourage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Duchemin View Post
Dont be so sure markov79... you dont know if a center is gonna be injured and maybe johnson will fill in and do a great job and after they wont broke the lines.
Ribeiro injured ? Ok, put Plek as 2nd center then. Plek too ? Then Bonk. We're too much stacked at C to use Johnson at this position, he is fine at wing.

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 08:00 PM
the Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_guy9 View Post
Lang would be a great fit, but along with his talent he also carries a $3.8 million contract. Trading for him might also be tough, sure Aebischer would fit great in Detroit but who else would we give up
As to who else we'd give up... Let me direct you to an earlier thread I posted:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=271553

Notice the salaries? Makes sense to me... You?

Old
07-16-2006, 10:06 AM
Garnett

Gainey

I think its pretty clear Gainey added positional depth. Why did the Habs lose in the first round in the playoffs? The loss of Koivu and no one could replace him. Begin played on the first line. Depth at center was the weakest position in Montreal last year. Now Koivu, Ribs, Pleks, Begin, Bonk and Johnson can play center. My worry is if 2-3 D-men get injuried, Montreal has a lack of depth in that position.

Garnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 10:10 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnett View Post
I think its pretty clear Gainey added positional depth. Why did the Habs lose in the first round in the playoffs? The loss of Koivu and no one could replace him. Begin played on the first line. Depth at center was the weakest position in Montreal last year. Now Koivu, Ribs, Pleks, Begin, Bonk and Johnson can play center. My worry is if 2-3 D-men get injuried, Montreal has a lack of depth in that position.
Every team has a lack of depth in this new NHL.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 10:11 AM
tmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Maniac View Post
As to who else we'd give up... Let me direct you to an earlier thread I posted:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=271553

Notice the salaries? Makes sense to me... You?
no it does not make sense did you read the replies from the wings fans, if they trade lang it's to shed salary and because they have too many centers why would they take on as much salary and receive a center back?

tmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 10:15 AM
Habsy

Mike Johnson is a natural center that was moved to RW. There is no reason to doubt Carbo/Gainey when they say he will be a bottom 6 guy. What he is though is insurance in case of injury. When Koivu goes down, we suck. At least we have someone that can step in for a few games at center if we need him to.

Habsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 10:15 AM
turnbuckle*

I think the important thing to remember is that Gainey said he would be played on right wing. that would lead me to believe he will be playing.....right wing.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 10:32 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnett View Post
I think its pretty clear Gainey added positional depth. Why did the Habs lose in the first round in the playoffs? The loss of Koivu and no one could replace him.
It was less that nobody could replace Koivu on the ice, more that Koivu is the heart & soul of the club, and the team played without said heart & soul much like any human being would play when deprived of its vital organs. Somewhere around the level of zombie. Note that Koivu spoke to the team in the locker room prior to game 6, and the team responded with its best effort in the entire series, ultimately coming up short.

The Canadiens have had this habit for some time, of wilting when confronted with key injuries rather than rallying. When Koivu, Kovalev, or Markov was down last season, the team stunk. This is a mindset I'm hoping the new coaching staff can purge from the squad for good.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote