HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XLIX All talk from around the league here

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 04:00 PM
CrAzYNiNe

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
My god are the Oilers a joke. Can't wait to see them pick top 5 again this year.
They are consistent proof that tanking doesn't necessarily help you become a contender. (but it could... calm down LG)

Old
02-23-2013, 04:09 PM
Nsjohnson

Popping in to say it's great to see the Habs having a bounce back year coupled with everyone saying you'd be at the bottom again this year. Nice to prove the haters wrong.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:18 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
They are consistent proof that tanking doesn't necessarily help you become a contender. (but it could... calm down LG)
Nobody has ever claimed that tanking alone is sufficient to make a team into an instant contender.

There is no proof or counterproof, as nobody made the strawman argument you put down.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:26 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Nobody has ever claimed that tanking alone is sufficient to make a team into an instant contender.

There is no proof or counterproof, as nobody made the strawman argument you put down.
''Tanking'' is just one more way of acquiring good players.

Its just very slow, painful and not necessarily much better than regular good drafting combined with acute trading and acquisition of key free agents.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:33 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
''Tanking'' is just one more way of acquiring good players.

Its just very slow, painful and not necessarily much better than regular good drafting combined with acute trading and acquisition of key free agents.
What about tanking combined with good drafting and acute trading and acquisition of key free agents?

Compare the Oilers to the Kings.

The Kings had 3 lottery picks. They traded one of them (Brayden Schenn) for a missing piece: Mike Richards. Then they won a cup.

They also traded Colton Teubert (high pick) for Dustin Penner -- with the Oilers. Kings then won a cup. Oilers finished last and drafted Yakupov.

When will the Oilers trade Yakupov or Hall for first solid defensive minute eater they need? Never (I suspect), they don't want to accelerate the process. Maybe this year they draft Barkov, and their defense will still suck.

Have they signed any key free agents recently other than Schultz? No. Why not?

Old
02-23-2013, 04:41 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:

How can you be certain that "nobody" has ever made this claim? I'm simply joking around, I know LG is extravagant in his approach to tanking, but he always makes appropriate arguments. I just don't believe that in Montreal you can sell your assets to hit the bottom. Last year with injury we pulled it off, but selling your players when you have a chance to make the playoffs (The year Souray went UFA was a big item on LG agenda, although we were in the playoff hunt)

Edmonton's management is just a total fail. They don't understand that you have to build a team from the net out and they consistently ignore that.

Either way, I am not serious and I can guarantee many people have made the argument that you believe no one ever made. (Maybe you didn't make it and you NEVER did, but you aren't everybody to insinuate nobody, right?)

Quote:
What about tanking combined with good drafting and acute trading and acquisition of key free agents?

The Kings had 3 lottery picks. They traded one of them (Brayden Schenn) for a missing piece: Mike Richards. Then they won a cup.

They also traded Colton Teubert (high pick) for Dustin Penner -- with the Oilers. Kings then won a cup. Oilers finished last and drafted Yakupov.

When will the Oilers trade Yakupov or Hall for first solid defensive minute eater they need? Never (I suspect), they don't want to accelerate the process. Maybe this year they draft Barkov, and their defense will still suck.

No one will argue with your reasoning, if they possess any logic. I agree with what you said, it's more detailed than my depiction of the hapless and poor management of the Oilers.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:44 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Anyone sad about what happened to Malkin? As pathetic as this sounds, I am glad that lost a key player since they employ Cooke. (I don't believe his story that it was an accident)

Old
02-23-2013, 04:55 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Anyone sad about what happened to Malkin? As pathetic as this sounds, I am glad that lost a key player since they employ Cooke. (I don't believe his story that it was an accident)
As a fan of the Habs, I'm ok with seeing key injuries on other teams.

However, as a fan of the game, I hate that we have two generational talents in Crosby and Malkin playing under inept GM Ray Shero.

They're both great players, but Shero is spectacularly failing at building a team around them. Their farm system is stacked with dmen, and they drafted Pouliot over Forsberg/Grigorenko with the 8th overall last year.

A lot of us want to see what Crosby and Malkin could do in a season where they were well-surrounded. 140 points? 150? Possibly, but we'll never know.

Pittsburgh now sits on 8.8 million dollars in cap space. In recent years they failed to get Marian Hossa, they failed to get Jaromir Jagr, and they failed to get Zach Parise. They obviously didn't even bother to go for Alexander Semin or Andrei Kostitsyn, who would both be upgrades on Pascal Dupuis and Chris Kunitz and whoever is third wheel on the Malkin-Neal line. They just can't get anybody on the UFA market.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:55 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Seems like every ****ing year Boston trails in games played compared to everyone else.
Jeremy "Montgomery Burns" Jacobs, owner of the Boston Bruins, is also the chairman of the NHL board of governors.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:01 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
As a fan of the Habs, I'm ok with seeing key injuries on other teams.

However, as a fan of the game, I hate that we have two generational talents in Crosby and Malkin playing under inept GM Ray Shero.

They're both great players, but Shero is spectacularly failing at building a team around them. Their farm system is stacked with dmen, and they drafted Pouliot over Forsberg/Grigorenko with the 8th overall last year.

A lot of us want to see what Crosby and Malkin could do in a season where they were well-surrounded. 140 points? 150? Possibly, but we'll never know.

Pittsburgh now sits on 8.8 million dollars in cap space. In recent years they failed to get Marian Hossa, they failed to get Jaromir Jagr, and they failed to get Zach Parise. They obviously didn't even bother to go for Alexander Semin or Andrei Kostitsyn, who would both be upgrades on Pascal Dupuis and Chris Kunitz and whoever is third wheel on the Malkin-Neal line. They just can't get anybody on the UFA market.
I'm down with karmic justice. And as a habs fan (I consider myself to be a fan of the Habs over hockey (Lockout + other issues)) I would prefer to see the Pens fail.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:02 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Oilers tied it, looks like its going to OT

Old
02-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 174
Yakupov with a pt today, now tied with Galchenyuk...

Chucky gotta get at least 1 pt tonight in order to keep the lead among the 2012 draft class.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:05 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Boston missed 1 game vs Tampa because of a snow storm I think.
Yes they did so they would have played 15 games like a few other teams have. Still a fairly wide margin between the teams that played 15 games thus far and the 20 games the Flyers have played already.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:18 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Oilers tied it, looks like its going to OT
And they win a SO. It seems like every time I trash a team in this thread they immediately make me eat my words.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:10 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

lol Ottawa

Roy MacGregor ‏@RoyMacG
The Battle of Ontario sure exists on paper -- the Senators are handing out code-of-conduct leaflets telling fans to "Stay Classy."

Roy MacGregor ‏@RoyMacG
"If you see something, say something" the Ottawa Senators tell Leafs and Sens fans. No anonymous tip line provided....

Old
02-23-2013, 06:20 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
lol Ottawa

Roy MacGregor ‏@RoyMacG
The Battle of Ontario sure exists on paper -- the Senators are handing out code-of-conduct leaflets telling fans to "Stay Classy."

Roy MacGregor ‏@RoyMacG
"If you see something, say something" the Ottawa Senators tell Leafs and Sens fans. No anonymous tip line provided....
Well, you wouldn't wanna offend grandma.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:43 PM
DAChampion

Kyle Chipchura had his second goal this season against the Oilers.

He also has 4 assists and 24 hits in 17 games.

Where are all the fanboys who were lamenting the loss of the mighty Aaron Palushaj a week ago?

Old
02-23-2013, 08:04 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

Buffalo losing 3-0 to the Islanders.

FFS, if that team with already a lot of talent gets a Jones-Mac-Drouin-Barkov...

Old
02-23-2013, 08:08 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:

yet, they always tried to be competitive.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:14 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
They aren't proof of anything. They are a bunch of kids. And they seriously need to fix that blueline for the future.

Was that calm enough for you?

Old
02-23-2013, 08:17 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Yes, it's sad to see him go down. And it really sucks for my pool too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
lol Ottawa

Roy MacGregor ‏@RoyMacG

Roy MacGregor ‏@RoyMacG
Pathetic.
Quote:
Buffalo losing 3-0 to the Islanders.

FFS, if that team with already a lot of talent gets a Jones-Mac-Drouin-Barkov...
I hope the Isles finally put a good team together. Sad to see what they've become. That's Charles crazy Wang for you though...

Old
02-23-2013, 08:32 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

Nashville shutout again.

Their lack of offence is a big problem. Hopefully they slide out of the playoff mix because of it.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:33 PM
Et le But

Islanders killing Buffalo.

There was almost a goalie fight between Miller and Nabakov, but sadly the refs killed it.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:35 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Nashville shutout again.

Their lack of offence is a big problem. Hopefully they slide out of the playoff mix because of it.
They're not scoring, but good thing they got rid of Kostitsyn and Radulov.

Those two euro-weenies really lacked character.

Now they have a lot of character, they can lose with pride.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:48 PM
SB164

The Ottawa Senators are now 4-1-0 in 5 games without Karlsson, Spezza & Michalek.

Closed Thread