HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winger Acquisition Thread | Part V: Wingers in the Hands of an Angry (Hockey) God

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 08:07 PM
Nietzsche Zone Play

vCash: 500
Personally, I can't blame Bylsma for keeping the top line together for now. Why break up the line that has been producing?

Bennett is a pass first guy and can create offense on his own. I think he'll contribute more with a shooter like Neal on his line. If they go a couple games and both lines aren't producing, then the coach can shuffle. No reason to change it now.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:09 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzsche Zone Play View Post
Personally, I can't blame Bylsma for keeping the top line together for now. Why break up the line that has been producing?

Bennett is a pass first guy and can create offense on his own. I think he'll contribute more with a shooter like Neal on his line. If they go a couple games and both lines aren't producing, then the coach can shuffle. No reason to change it now.
Yeah, I saw another poster here post a stat that Kunitz Crosby Dupuis is the 2nd highest scoring line at ES in the NHL. I don't think DB wants to disturb the chemistry of that line unless he absolutely has to. Hopefully Malkin is back soon.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:14 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatch88 View Post
Im assuming by "Dangles" yinz mean Bennett?

Old
02-23-2013, 08:18 PM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Not to side track but Rossi (who I don't like or trust) was saying "according to multiple sources" so while he's a **** up of a journalist and a social media ***** I can't see him lying about that but who knows.
I just wanted to say, I would take those reports with a grain of salt. It's like Yohe tweeted yesterday Geno had trouble walking straight while going to the locker room.

Today, I read reports from his teammates, they said Geno looked good today.

I doubt anybody really knows, right now, how long he will be out. That's why, IMO, Bylsma said nothing about Geno's status. They know they have to be careful with him!

Old
02-23-2013, 08:27 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Would love nothing more than for all of this to come crashing down on Rossi, Geno be fine and Rossi get fired.

These *******s should be forced to NAME their sources. We're not talking about Pentagon leaks here for crissakes.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:33 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques G View Post
There is zero things wrong with this line. It is actually an NHL 2nd line. Pens fans are very spoiled.
No it's not. At least not on a Cup contending team.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:01 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Would love nothing more than for all of this to come crashing down on Rossi, Geno be fine and Rossi get fired.

These *******s should be forced to NAME their sources. We're not talking about Pentagon leaks here for crissakes.
TR isn't such a bad guy...

Old
02-23-2013, 09:25 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

I could just imagine the confusion if we find out that the Pens are scouting the Flames/Wild game tonight. You'll have one side of this forum thinking they're continuing to scout the Wild (Cullen, PMB, Seto...) and the other side of the forum tricking themselves into thinking that the Pens are scouting the Flames (Iginla, Tanguay, Glencross...).

LOL

Old
02-23-2013, 09:55 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
I could just imagine the confusion if we find out that the Pens are scouting the Flames/Wild game tonight. You'll have one side of this forum thinking they're continuing to scout the Wild (Cullen, PMB, Seto...) and the other side of the forum tricking themselves into thinking that the Pens are scouting the Flames (Iginla, Tanguay, Glencross...).

LOL
I was actually just thinking about Glencross being a good fit here.

He's a solid 20-20 contributor offensively, has some sandpaper in his game and is also a very good PKer.

Maybe have him play a Kunitz type role on the second line, or if Bennett progresses or they add someone better, he can drop down to the third line and replace Kennedy.

He's signed into next season at 2.5, seems pretty reasonable.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:58 PM
cheesedanish87

https://twitter.com/Russostrib/statu...10059503386624

#Coyotes GM Don Maloney and brass in the house tonight. They play the #flames tomorrow. Only scout is Don Waddell (#penguins)

Old
02-23-2013, 10:16 PM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
Well we have our lines for now according to Disco.

Kunitz - Sid - Dupers
Dangles - Sutter - Neal
Cooke - Jeffrey - InvisoPig

Works for me, for now...
Yuck. Neal's production is going to drastically decrease. Hopefully the pens have 8-10 power plays a game until Neal returns.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:19 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
https://twitter.com/Russostrib/statu...10059503386624

#Coyotes GM Don Maloney and brass in the house tonight. They play the #flames tomorrow. Only scout is Don Waddell (#penguins)
Seems like the Pens are stalking the Wild everywhere they go.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:20 PM
Nietzsche Zone Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Yeah, I saw another poster here post a stat that Kunitz Crosby Dupuis is the 2nd highest scoring line at ES in the NHL. I don't think DB wants to disturb the chemistry of that line unless he absolutely has to. Hopefully Malkin is back soon.
Yeah, that was me. They've been 2nd all season. Currently have 13 ES goals to Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville's 15. The line has been the model of consistency and Bylsma clearly values that (as he should). They might get slightly tougher assignments now but keeping Neal on the 2nd line still forces some mismatches.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:24 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
just watch, he'll come here and sign for 3 mill
I wouldn't be so sarcastic about this. Asking for an unrealistic/inordinate sum of money (largely un-derserved based on production prior to last season, if that), can easily be deemed as a more "polite" way of asking for a trade/forcing yourself out of town.

Colorado has no clue how to take care of players with injuries like concussions. Former 1st rounder Joey Hishon and Erik Johnson are recent examples. I wouldn't at all be surprised if ROR didn't actually want to play for them for that and other reasons.

As far as whether or not he has mutual interest in coming here depends 100% on his interest/confidence/ability to play Wing (instead of centre), the "realistic sum of $$$" that he wants (if it's really only $3.5, we have more than 50% of that gone with Kennedy going the other way, for example; or Niskanen/Orpik, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post

Saying things like "Kennedy will figure things out" is how we get bounced in Round 1.

That sounds eerily similar to "getting to our game".
Jag's, I can't remember if it was you (I think it was) after game 1 of this year when I proposed trading Orpik someone said, and I quote: It's that type of thinking that gets us bounced from the playoffs in the 1st round? Was that you?

TK is the weak link in our chain this year. Wouldn't a big, tough power forward like Tom Wilson (from last draft as example) or Zack Kassian be a great fit on a team who wants a forward who can stand up to a guy like Gudbranson, who is essentially the next Scott Stevens of the NHL in terms of toughness (not many guys would want to pick a fight with him; and our only guys who are the same size who is actually a fighter, of which there is one, is Steve McIntyre, who is playing in the AHL. This is a problem if nobody else is going to step up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I'm in favor of keeping Adams as the 13th forward. When injuries inevitably hit, you can plug him into the 4th line and promote Jeffrey to the top 9.

I'm fully in favour of keeping Adams as #12/13 for this season, depending how long Geno is out for, and then next season SOLELY as the #13 guy. He's a warrior, great in the room, and exceptional at what he does, albeit a very narrow skill-set. Until Dustin Jeffrey and Joe "Victory" Vitale are more groomed for this role, we need Adams in that spot.

The only silver lining out of Malkin's injury, which I assume won't be NEARLY as long term as Sid's or others, is that Jeffrey will get the chance he has been deserving since the day he sustained that ACL injury. Otherwise, he was in jeopardy of being traded for scraps (i.e. Markus Naslund), or waived (like Adam Oates). I'm not saying Jeffrey will be 1/4 as good as those two, but I think he can be a SUBSTANTIAL trade asset if he can produce the way I think he can (i.e. I think he could bring in Setoguchi by himself, or Paajarvi or another team looking for a Centre, or the centerpiece of a bigger package for a better player, such as Brassard, ROR, etc...). But he needs some games to prove it.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:28 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzsche Zone Play View Post
Yeah, that was me. They've been 2nd all season. Currently have 13 ES goals to Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville's 15. The line has been the model of consistency and Bylsma clearly values that (as he should). They might get slightly tougher assignments now but keeping Neal on the 2nd line still forces some mismatches.
Thanks. I forgot it was you that said it but it's a good stat that shows why he wouldn't want to break up that line unless he has no alternative.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:29 PM
Nietzsche Zone Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
Yuck. Neal's production is going to drastically decrease. Hopefully the pens have 8-10 power plays a game until Neal returns.
Neal has 5 ES points so far. I find it hard to believe that could decrease at all, let alone drastically. Maybe he steps up more now and helps that 2nd line finally score at ES.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:41 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

I see that someone already mentioned that Pens are scouting Wild tonight. I don't think it's Seto, has to be PMB or Cullen, someone they probably haven't seen as much, right?

Old
02-23-2013, 10:43 PM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

Quote:
Every time Parise makes a bad play or comes up short, he looks up into the stands and sees a member of the Penguins front office smirking at him.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:44 PM
Malkinstheman

Any ideas on what going to happen to boychuk? IMO if we're not going to use him just put him on waivers, scratching him isnt helping him and is wasting a contract spot for us.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:50 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinstheman View Post
Any ideas on what going to happen to boychuk? IMO if we're not going to use him just put him on waivers, scratching him isnt helping him and is wasting a contract spot for us.
I doubt Boychuk is complaining. He's at least getting an NHL paycheck which is better than being sent down to the minors by us or Carolina if he he goes back on waivers and clears. It'll be back to AHL salary for him again in that scenario.

I would keep him around just because of the lack of skilled forward prospects in the system but he's not much of a loss if he goes. That's probably the same way Carolina felt about him.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:50 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinstheman View Post
In the event they need a roster spot they can waive him then. Until then he serves as insurance in case of injury.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:19 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
When Crosby is healthy, ____-Crosby-____ is going to be one of the top lines in the NHL at even strength. This isn't about Crosby, really. It's more about Neal.

When Crosby went down, Kunitz moved to Geno's line and we created a "super line". We essentially became a one-line team but it worked. I don't see why we wouldn't do the reverse with Neal moving to Crosby's line to create one big scoring line.

If Dupuis or Kunitz aren't scoring, they have other roles to play on this team. If James Neal isn't scoring, we lose Malkin AND Neal essentially.

Besides, isn't the organization curious about seeing Crosby and Neal together, to see if they produce as much as Malkin-Neal? I know I would be.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:21 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:

As long as "the solushun" isn't Cullen. If that's all we do this deadline I will officially start to wonder about Shero. Because we have the assets to get so much more than a glorified 3C. Cullen isn't even an upgrade on teh C we have at his slot (Sutter / Jeffrey) ... not sure why anyone would want him / is talking him up (a few are anyway).

Aboslute worst fit I can think of among the guys we've discussed in terms of age, durability, skill, positional need. I'd rather see us trade for a guy with no experience but great upside in Coyle than trade for Cullen. Something tells me they won't be selling Seto though. They don't have the offensive depth for it. Unless they decide to give up on the playoffs this year (entirely possible).

Old
02-24-2013, 12:23 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Jag's, I can't remember if it was you (I think it was) after game 1 of this year when I proposed trading Orpik someone said, and I quote: It's that type of thinking that gets us bounced from the playoffs in the 1st round? Was that you?
Definitely not me. I'd trade Orpik or Martin without hesitation.

And yes, Zack Kassian or Tom Wilson would look great. I'd settle for a Tyler Biggs.

I'm watching some guy with No. 12 on Calgary, he'd be pretty good in that role too!

Old
02-24-2013, 12:25 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
As long as "the solushun" isn't Cullen. If that's all we do this deadline I will officially start to wonder about Shero. Because we have the assets to get so much more than a glorified 3C. Cullen isn't even an upgrade on teh C we have at his slot (Sutter / Jeffrey) ... not sure why anyone would want him / is talking him up (a few are anyway).

Aboslute worst fit I can think of among the guys we've discussed in terms of age, durability, skill, positional need. I'd rather see us trade for a guy with no experience but great upside in Coyle than trade for Cullen. Something tells me they won't be selling Seto though. They don't have the offensive depth for it. Unless they decide to give up on the playoffs this year (entirely possible).
I don't quite get the Cullen thing, either. That would be the equivalent of adding a vet for the sake of adding a vet...because we're the Pens and that's what we're supposed to do.

F that line of thinking.

Closed Thread