HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Is the time right for a 20 team playoff field?

Old
01-04-2013, 11:00 AM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Why not just add one team to the playoffs in each conference? That way divisional leaders get a buy in the first round and the highest remaining seed gets a buy in the third round. Here's how I'd do it using laster year's Eastern Conference Standings (Assuming no upsets to make it easy):

Penguins vs. Sabres. - Rangers vs Devils - Boston vs. Panthers - Rangers vs Boston - SCF
Flyers vs. Sens. - Boston vs Flyers
Devils vs. Caps. - Panthers vs Penguins

You add one round while rewarding season play and adding more teams to the playoffs.
Or have 6 teams make the playoffs and give the top 2 point earners first rounds byes similar to how the NFL does it. That's the best option IMO...makes the regular season actually matter and doesn't put in more then half the league into the playoffs...

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:06 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
If this moronic idea had been in place in 2007, the 81-point St. Louis Blues would have gotten a "play in" game against the 104-point Minnesota Wild.
That 104 point team had 10 shootout "wins", meaning they won less than half their games outright. I have no problem with such a team ending up going through an extra playoff round.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:20 PM
joshjull

20 of 30 teams is not that crazy of an idea.

There used to be 16 of 21 teams making the NHL playoffs.

I would love if the got rid of loser points if they did this. You either win or lose.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:42 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Or have 6 teams make the playoffs and give the top 2 point earners first rounds byes similar to how the NFL does it. That's the best option IMO...makes the regular season actually matter and doesn't put in more then half the league into the playoffs...
That's the worst option: Why should we make the playoffs the most the exclusive they have ever been (more so) and give up potential revenue while lowering the exposure of the league?

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Oil Machine

With the 'extra point' system there is not a lot of parity between the 7th to 10th place teams. Especially where the 8th place team squeezes in on OTL points. If they had a system where all games were worth 3 points I see no need for changes however I see no harm in having a mini playoff for the lower seeds. Basically wildcard games. You can't tell me you wouldn't watch that. I know I would.

Oil Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:53 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
That's the worst option: Why should we make the playoffs the most the exclusive they have ever been (more so) and give up potential revenue while lowering the exposure of the league?
Ask the NFL...You know the league with 32 teams where 12 teams make the playoffs, and also the most lucrative league in the world growing at a higher rate then anyone ever anticipated?

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:20 PM
NickWIHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNYR View Post
Why is a 1 game contest that decides the lowest 2 ceeded positions in the playoffs a coin flip, yet the NFL uses 1 game in every playoff round including the championship, and it's generally accepted? It's just a convention that's in place now, and playoff formats (just like divisional/conference alignments) change in sports all the time. I think a team has to succeed within whatever playoff framework is in place at the time to be the champion.
Football has always been single-elimination, given the violent and grueling nature of the sport, doing best of 3 series wouldnt work well. Baseball has had tiebreaker series in past called penant playoffs, it was a best of 3 series between the tied teams in the national league. the AL always had 1 game playoffs, so theres a big difference between leagues. Baseball, like hockey, has its playoffs be series. the only incident of a tiebreaker game in hockey came from the WHA, and it only happened once, the NHl has never had a 1 game playoff.

NickWIHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Ask the NFL...You know the league with 32 teams where 12 teams make the playoffs, and also the most lucrative league in the world growing at a higher rate then anyone ever anticipated?
This boils down to why we watch games in the first place. The NFL is very good a telling compelling stories - something people care about - every week. It doesn't matter if you're favourite team is out of the playoffs...there's always some kind of meaningful game going on. Who wants to see what AP does on the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field this weekend? Who's pulling for Peyton Manning in Denver? Who's interested in RGIII and the Redskins? There are far fewer games in the NFL, and each one is a bigger spectacle and has more meaning as a result.

The NHL's Winter Classic is interesting - pit two big rivals against each other outside in a huge stadium. People want to see that. The spectacle! It's about the closest thing the league can do to what the NFL does - and it's wildly successful.

What else does the NHL have? Parity and three-point-games keeps more teams in the playoff hunt until the end of the season. And then there are the playoffs themselves. I guess they figure more teams brings more meaning - more teams in the running at the end of the season; a preliminary round to avoid / sneak into. Short of staging more frequent Winter Classics (which might water down the novelty factor and kill the Golden Goose), what else are they going to do to capture that NFL magic? Should they reduce the number of playoff teams to 12 like the NFL? Or is 16 the perfect number for maximum interest?

Gm0ney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:51 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
You're implying that there's a correlation to the lower number of teams in the playoffs and the growth/ wealth of the league: There isn't.

Last edited by DyerMaker66: 01-04-2013 at 02:58 PM.
DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:39 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
That can work in the NFL because the playoffs are one game and teams play only once a week, plus most of the money comes from TV revenue. Try that in the NHL and you're punishing the top teams financially, as well as putting the team at a disadvantage because they will be cold from sitting out for so long.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:49 PM
M Gaz
Au revoir Shosanna!

vCash: 50
Hell no. The game doesn't need to be any more watered down than it already is.

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:48 AM
Ogopogo*

The time is NEVER right for a 20 team playoff. The idea is STUPID, STUPID, STUPID, and a cash grab.

In peewee every team makes the playoffs, this is pro sports and anything over 16 is a complete embarrassment. The argument could be made that 16 is too much as it is. Adding teams to the playoffs just further decreases the importance of the regular season. What is the point of the 82 game schedule if everybody makes the playoffs?

BAD idea.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:50 AM
Ogopogo*

If hockey fans want something to boycott, these stupid extra cash grab playoff games are the thing to boycott.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:12 AM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 400
Whoa, drama.

I think more than 16 teams is a great idea, especially if the league expands to 32 teams.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:26 AM
tony d
The franchise

I can agree with a 18 team playoff format but 20 teams is way to much IMO.

01-05-2013, 11:40 AM
BoltSTH

At 32 teams you leave SC at 16, and have a second competition for bottom 16.

BoltSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:43 AM
chasespace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltSTH View Post
At 32 teams you leave SC at 16, and have a second competition for bottom 16.
They already do, the draft lottery.

chasespace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Walnut

I'd be against this idea. 16 teams may already be too much, but the numbers work, so it's hard to argue with.

But the NHL will need to cash after the lockout, so wouldn't be surprised if they push for this.

Walnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:11 PM
no1b4me

I would rather see top 16 or 18 by points and points only. If 12 are in the west and the rest in the east so be it. And no more of a team with 90 points making it in when a team that have 100 points not make it. No seeding by division in the playsoffs, seeding by points only. I hate seeing the third place team less points than the forth or fifth team.

no1b4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:28 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

vCash: 514
On the hotstove today during the new realigment proposal, a wild card was brought up to appease the PA with the lack of a balanced playoff opportunity for the 8 team conferences.

Looking like 18 teams in the playoff? Perhaps, the 2 more eastern conferences of 8 will have the 4 and 5 seed meet and the winner moving on face # 1. From there you have 16 teams and away you go.

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:04 PM
MilanKraft

It could actually add meaning to the regular season if 4 teams have BYE'S let's say.

MilanKraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:22 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Is the League expanding to 40 teams?

When it does, then okay. Until then, hopefully they don't make a mockery of the Playoffs.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:14 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Looking like 18 teams in the playoff? Perhaps, the 2 more eastern conferences of 8 will have the 4 and 5 seed meet and the winner moving on face # 1. From there you have 16 teams and away you go.
That just unbalances it in the other direction - 10 out of 16 is a higher percentage than 8 out of 14.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:19 PM
hockeypuck2012

I would like to see a 24 team format.

hockeypuck2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:10 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
I'd like to see a proper points system. Eg. 3 points for a win, 2 points for an OT/SO win, 1 point for an OT/SO loss, 0 points for a loss.

And then if there's a tie on points between the 8-9 seed they have a 1 game playoff to determine who gets to continue. Just use tiebreakers for any other seeding tie.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote