HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

NHL and NHLPA approve re-alignment

Old
02-23-2013, 08:58 PM
Jurky
I heart Tats

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by last_sd View Post
Our owner asked us to move back to EAST for years now.

I think we will move to East for now but when the expansion comes (Toronto, QC) we will move back to West.
I really can't see the league realigning then expanding and then realigning again. IMO the realignment plan will have expansion in mind and account for it.

Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:58 PM
DarkReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
I'll be one of the rare few to say I absolutely despise this. I love the West. West is the best, and it has the best teams and the best players. I liked the first proposal better. I love Nashville, St. Louis, and Chicago as rivals. They're geographical and historic rivals. Screw the league if they do this. I mean, come on. You can't split Detroit and Chicago. Every one of the Big four has Detroit and Chicago in the same division. That would be asinine.
Color me surprised that Cpt. Status Quo is upset with change of any sort.

I am Jack's unflinching surprised face.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:59 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
But they'd be moving around other teams too so it wouldn't be just the Wings moving to the East. And I don't know about you but I'd rather play Montreal/Toronto/Boston than just the Hawks.
I'm an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." guy. Wings have been playing Chicago, St. Louis, Winnipeg, Nashville for so long, it just doesn't make sense to split them all up. I love Boston, Toronto, and Montreal. I really do. But our rivalry's have all historically come out west. The Blackhawks, the Ducks, the Aves, the Sharks, the Blues, the Preds... I don't wanna see that go.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:01 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWinger10 View Post
Detroit will be one of the big winners if it happens. Travel miles will be DRAMATICALLY reduced over an 82 game season. Not to mention the simple idea of it makes so much sense.
Chicago and St. Louis have to like that new alignment. That division would SUCK. Great for them.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:02 PM
PelagicJoe

vCash: 661
Quote:
I'll be one of the rare few to say I absolutely despise this. I love the West. West is the best, and it has the best teams and the best players. I liked the first proposal better. I love Nashville, St. Louis, and Chicago as rivals. They're geographical and historic rivals. Screw the league if they do this. I mean, come on. You can't split Detroit and Chicago. Every one of the Big four has Detroit and Chicago in the same division. That would be asinine.
I'm with you 100 % on this one. If any team in the West should be shipped to the East, I'd go with Columbus.

PelagicJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:04 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
I'm an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." guy. Wings have been playing Chicago, St. Louis, Winnipeg, Nashville for so long, it just doesn't make sense to split them all up. I love Boston, Toronto, and Montreal. I really do. But our rivalry's have all historically come out west. The Blackhawks, the Ducks, the Aves, the Sharks, the Blues, the Preds... I don't wanna see that go.
The Wings don't really have rivalries with the Ducks, Avs, or Sharks right now though. Rivalries come when you play the same team a bunch of playoffs in a row. That will happen with whatever teams are in the new conferences because they'll presumably be going back to the old divisional playoffs, and those rivalries won't involve 5 hour playoff flights or 10:30 start times.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:04 PM
last_sd

Quote:
We played with them. But to be honest, other than the CHI, I didn't really care much for our division teams.

Ducks and Sharks are irrelevant because even if we used the last year's alignment plan, they would be in different division.

last_sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:05 PM
Vladdy84
NO HALF MEASURES KEN

Quote:
Are you related to Bettman?

Vladdy84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:06 PM
last_sd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PelagicJoe View Post
I'm with you 100 % on this one. If any team in the West should be shipped to the East, I'd go with Columbus.
Columbus is going to East. They are joining the PIT division

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
The Wings don't really have rivalries with the Ducks, Avs, or Sharks right now though. Rivalries come when you play the same team a bunch of playoffs in a row. That will happen with whatever teams are in the new conferences because they'll presumably be going back to the old divisional playoffs, and those rivalries won't involve 5 hour playoff flights or 10:30 start times.
Exactly. Less travel helps us

last_sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:09 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
Are you related to Bettman?
Hah. Bettman would sign off on this new alignment Easy. This is the one area I vehemently disagree with management.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:27 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
What?....? Playing with Nashville and Winnipeg for so long? What? Historical rivalries from out west?............ What the actual hell!?

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:41 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
I'll love it if the Wings move to the East in that division.

4 O6 teams in one division and I really love watching Red Wings vs the Leafs, always a good exciting game that is usually decided in the 3rd period and the atmosphere is absolutely amazing.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:42 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

beautiful, give me 6 or 7 games against toronto, boston, montreal every year over chicago, nashville and coloumbus.

only a fool or someone new to hockey would think otherwise

Zetterberg4Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:47 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
The Leafs have only been in the East for about 20 years...before that, Toronto and Detroit met in the playoffs 23 times. I'm sure that's the highest for both teams over their histories.

This is the Red Wings all time record against the Leafs:

334 Wins 335 Losses 93 Ties .499

59W 59L in the playoffs...they are neck and neck against each other.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:11 PM
newfy

Quote:
Seriously? You consider the ducks, sharks and preds bigger rivals than the habs or leafs?!

Chicagos the only real rival and they havent even met in the playoffs hardly to build a real rivalry

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:18 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

I feel like I should be greedy and say yes. But these alignments make NO SENSE.

Can't support it.

Winnipeg in the same division as Nashville, but somehow skipping Detroit?
Both Floridas skipping over Carolina and Nashville and the entire east coast to be in this division?

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:25 PM
FlashyG

Quote:
In last years plan Detroit's travel actually increased from what it is right now.
It sucks losing Chicago for the rivalry, but I think its more than made up for by reviving the Toronto, Montreal and Boston rivalries and putting fewer and fewer miles on Red Bird II

Also not sure how you can say the west has the best players, if the Wings were in the east 15 of the top 16 scorers in the league would be in that conference.

The only real negatives I have with the alignment from a Wings perspective is the Florida teams being in the same division. Seems to me that Lou and the NY franchises have a lot of pull when it comes to matters like this. They don't want to give up the travel advantage they have over the rest of the league.

I think the split would have been better had it been
Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston, Rangers, Islanders
New Jersey, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Washington, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Florida

FlashyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:27 PM
FlashyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post
I feel like I should be greedy and say yes. But these alignments make NO SENSE.

Can't support it.

Winnipeg in the same division as Nashville, but somehow skipping Detroit?
Both Floridas skipping over Carolina and Nashville and the entire east coast to be in this division?
Nashville and Winnipeg are both in the Central timezone, while the Wings and Columbus are both in the Eastern Time zone...that's the basis for the split.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:32 PM
ScottyBowman

No more 10:30 playoff games and very few late night regular season games will be awesome plus I want to play Toronto again. Just not the same when you're playing Nashville and Columbus vs Toronto and Montreal.

ScottyBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:42 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashyG View Post
Nashville and Winnipeg are both in the Central timezone, while the Wings and Columbus are both in the Eastern Time zone...that's the basis for the split.
Still don't like it.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:47 PM
FlashyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post
Still don't like it.
The line had to be drawn somewhere and that seems like a pretty good one to me.

I don't like the Florida teams being in the same division, but I think the right 2 teams moved east.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:06 PM
icKx
Playoffs, plz

Throwing the Florida teams in this new division is messed up. I swear every proposed plan is designed around catering to the spoiled Atlantic division teams...

I'll take it though.

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:08 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Hell yes.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:46 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashyG View Post
I think the split would have been better had it been
Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston, Rangers, Islanders
New Jersey, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Washington, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Florida
Tough to make a case that NJ and the NYs should be in different conferences. I don't care personally, and I like those conferences, but I don't think there's much chance that NJ and NYs get split up.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:13 AM
Cyborg Yzerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa Puck View Post
Like the Wings in the East but don't like the 8-8-7-7 format. 16 and 14 team conferences is unfair. Even the MLB fixed that and they live in the stone age.

It seems like they just switch around a few teams from the original proposal that the PA shot down.
They wouldn't be 14 and 16 team conferences, they would be 8-8-7-7 conferences. There are no longer divisions.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote