Pre Game Hosts

Old
02-23-2013, 12:02 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Suck, suck, suck!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
I often wondered how Aaron Ward would do as in studio contributor.
I don't think he's gonna leave TSN.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:37 PM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Quote:
Same here on both points.
Nifty was super and said it like it is. I often wondered how Aaron Ward would do as in studio contributor.

Frankly, I like Dale. He knows the game & league. Some may not like his delivery and to each his own. But the guy is as informed and knowledgeable as they come, IMO.
I'm honestly not a huge fan of Dale, but I'll admit that he knows his stuff. The problem, IMHO, is that people can get all the same information that he's providing by going online (e.g. just a quick visit to this board will tell you everything that he can tell you, + more) so at this point, the hosts have to be about entertainment as much as information, and Arnold & Kluzak just lack in the entertainment category for me.

For all their faults, Tappen & Milbury seemed to try to be entertaining as well as informative - jokes, comments, etc. Dale & Gord just play it too straight for me to enjoy them

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:51 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by the overrated View Post
I'm honestly not a huge fan of Dale, but I'll admit that he knows his stuff. The problem, IMHO, is that people can get all the same information that he's providing by going online (e.g. just a quick visit to this board will tell you everything that he can tell you, + more) so at this point, the hosts have to be about entertainment as much as information, and Arnold & Kluzak just lack in the entertainment category for me.

For all their faults, Tappen & Milbury seemed to try to be entertaining as well as informative - jokes, comments, etc. Dale & Gord just play it too straight for me to enjoy them
That is why the show seems stale to me too. The info they give is all info I know heading into the game. The opinions and analysis are cookie cutter. No entertainment value whatsoever. It might be okay for a casual fan, but for someone who eats, sleeps, and breathes the team, I find the convo on these boards more in depth & stimulating.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

I absolutely agree that all the info one could want is available on the inter webs. Having said that though we must always remind ourselves that we are the minority. We are the Lunatic Fringe.

I offer talk radio callers as exhibit "A".

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:02 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
I absolutely agree that all the info one could want is available on the inter webs. Having said that though we must always remind ourselves that we are the minority. We are the Lunatic Fringe.

I offer talk radio callers as exhibit "A".

That's true. And that's why I am usually on here before the game surfing through various threads, as opposed to actually watching the Bruins pre-game show.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:16 PM
Ratty

Everything I ever needed to know about hockey I learned in the first grade.

Agree with Wally. Most everyone on this board is well informed about hockey, the NHL and the Bruins. It's the casual fan, or the one who always watches but never ventures out to see a game, that Arnold and Kluzak are performing for.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:06 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Nifty was super and said it like it is. I often wondered how Aaron Ward would do as in studio contributor.

Frankly, I like Dale. He knows the game & league. Some may not like his delivery and to each his own. But the guy is as informed and knowledgeable as they come, IMO.
I have seen this repeated here many times, and I have asked folks to give me some examples and I never get any. so Wally, can you recall any times that you learned something new about hockey, or the NHL, or the Bruins, or any player, from listening to Dale? Same with analysis. Has he ever had a take on something that was a bit unconventional that actually made you pause and say "hmmm, never thought of it like that before, he's got a point." The opposite examples are numerous. As has been said before, he is perfect for the traffic cop role he currently has.

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:12 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
have i told you lately that i'd love to watch a game with you while hoisting some adult beverages?

I always tivo it and watch later so i skip most of what is being discussed, but the one major change i would make to the broadcast is one i've mentioned before, and that would be to have Pedersen down at ice level between the benches playing the Pierre Mcguire role. I know a significant portion of posters hate the guy but i absolutely love, LOVE, all that commentary he gives regarding line matching and which bench is energetic and which bench has simply given up the will to compete. Plus he sees a lot that we all at home or even those in the booth miss.

and yes, we need Nutty back.
Barry's observations are typically insightful. Not sure he would flourish in Between The Glass role, however. Not a rah-rah type, like PM (and that's not a knock on either).

Does anyone know where Nifty is?

GordonHowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:18 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonHowe View Post
Barry's observations are typically insightful. Not sure he would flourish in Between The Glass role, however. Not a rah-rah type, like PM (and that's not a knock on either).

I disagree because i think the in between the glass role is pretty much a slam dunk in terms of being a fly on the wall. Put anyone in that role and they'll be fine just telling us what the mood on both benches is at any given time. But then put somewhere there like BP who actually understands why coaches are doing some things and not other things and i think you have a winner.

Rob Simpson used to be down there but that was only for that cheesy "win a chance to sit between the benches" promos they used to have when nobody went to games. "Hey look Mabel, there's Dave Lewis. Quick! look away, don't make eye contact!"

Old
02-23-2013, 09:28 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:

Really? No expert but I never received that impression. Mediocrity defined, though I'm sure he knows much more about the game than me.

As mentioned elsewhere, as capable of insular media arrogance as any of his 'eei contemporaries. And as happy to ignore the Bruins, as long as the check arrived on time.

"Fred from New Hampshire" was about all there was back then, and I'm immensely gratified that I'll never have to accept 'eei crumbs, or KPD tedium, againl. *Ever.*

Thank God for the Internet,

Old
02-23-2013, 09:32 PM
Ratty

Quote:
Really? No expert but I never received that impression. Mediocrity defined, though I'm sure he knows much more about the game than me.

As mentioned elsewhere, as capable of insular media arrogance as any of his 'eei contemporaries. And as happy to ignore the Bruins, as long as the check arrived on time.

"Fred from New Hampshire" was about all there was back then, and I'm immensely gratified that I'll never have to accept 'eei crumbs, or KPD tedium, againl. *Ever.*

Thank God for the Internet,

Not God, Gordy, but Al Gore. Or is that the same thing?

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:55 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
Not God, Gordy, but Al Gore. Or is that the same thing?

Yes. Al Gore is God. That is not in dispute.

Beyond this, he apparently had something to do with something three times removed that helped birth the Internet as we know it. What that was, I am too lazy to investigate.

Take it away, Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Gore...ion_technology

Old
02-23-2013, 10:02 PM
doc5hole

Quote:

I talked to him and can only relay he didn't want out. Not surprisingly, a coworker of mine was offered a job there last year but literally could not afford to consider the salary cut -- if that helps.

doc5hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:03 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
I have seen this repeated here many times, and I have asked folks to give me some examples and I never get any. so Wally, can you recall any times that you learned something new about hockey, or the NHL, or the Bruins, or any player, from listening to Dale? Same with analysis. Has he ever had a take on something that was a bit unconventional that actually made you pause and say "hmmm, never thought of it like that before, he's got a point." The opposite examples are numerous. As has been said before, he is perfect for the traffic cop role he currently has.
Dale appears to be an expert on hockey because other than the former players (Pederson, etc.), the vast majority of radio/TV media in Boston know less than **** about the NHL. Dale actually knows and can identify players on other teams (not just the superstars), and can name some of the Bruins prospects. That qualifies him as a savant in this market.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:19 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Dale appears to be an expert on hockey because other than the former players (Pederson, etc.), the vast majority of radio/TV media in Boston know less than **** about the NHL. Dale actually knows and can identify players on other teams (not just the superstars), and can name some of the Bruins prospects. That qualifies him as a savant in this market.
I hear ya Arty. Just another example of "in the land of the blind..."

But again, why do posters on this board and should know better say similar things about him?

Old
02-23-2013, 10:32 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
I hear ya Arty. Just another example of "in the land of the blind..."

But again, why do posters on this board and should know better say similar things about him?
Because in the desert, an oasis looks like an ocean?

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:28 PM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
If I have to hear Kluzak whine about fighting 1 more time I am going to throw something.

At least he is not in the broadcast booth. ruining my childhood memories informing the audience how dangerous every fight is.
Beefcake Brutus ought to shut his mouth, as without fighting, he wouldn't have had a job in the NHL. Even before his knee problem started, he was a disappointment for a first draft pick.

To me, Dale is not too bad so long as Kluzak is not paired with him for the night. Dale is extremely pessimistic when Gord is on with him, not sure if he's even aware of this or not but he is a drag to listen to when Gord is with him. Gord is so negative about the team, you'd think being a former Bruin he would have something halfway decent to say once in awhile. But this has been going on since they were partnered to call home games together- they were miserable to listen to some nights, especially if there was any fights or the Bruins were losing.

I can't stand Jaffe. I don't know what it is, but I just can't take to him.

Give me Barry and Rick any night of the week.

Dale, please- breathe some life into the intermissions, will you? Give the guys credit if they try hard but still lost the game. Some nights, no matter how hard they try, they just can't pull out a win. The team is doing great so far this year, how about reflecting on that instead of the "Dale and Gord Doom and Gloom" show......

Lady Rhian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:03 AM
doakacola*

Why was Jaffee brought in? What's his Boston connection?

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:05 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc5hole View Post
I talked to him and can only relay he didn't want out. Not surprisingly, a coworker of mine was offered a job there last year but literally could not afford to consider the salary cut -- if that helps.
I heard Nifty left over a salary issue.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:09 AM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
Everything I ever needed to know about hockey I learned in the first grade.

Agree with Wally. Most everyone on this board is well informed about hockey, the NHL and the Bruins. It's the casual fan, or the one who always watches but never ventures out to see a game, that Arnold and Kluzak are performing for.
I think targeting the show towards the casual fan is a poor idea - casual fans don't tune in 30 minutes early for a pre-game show, and don't stick around after for the post-game show. A lot of them don't even care that much about the intermission periods ... casual fans don't want to see slow-mo breakdowns of how a play was set up, IMHO.

Plus, even if the casuals are the target audience, having stale/not-that-entertaining hosts isn't going to encourage them to tune in. And I think that at this point, Arnold & Kluzak are both stale and dull.

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:36 PM
Bone for your jar

Quote:
I think targeting the show towards the casual fan is a poor idea - casual fans don't tune in 30 minutes early for a pre-game show, and don't stick around after for the post-game show. A lot of them don't even care that much about the intermission periods ... casual fans don't want to see slow-mo breakdowns of how a play was set up, IMHO.

Plus, even if the casuals are the target audience, having stale/not-that-entertaining hosts isn't going to encourage them to tune in. And I think that at this point, Arnold & Kluzak are both stale and dull.
Agreed, they're somewhat stale and dull, but I think, to put myself in their shoes for a moment, it must be tough to figure out what the audience wants exactly. If they scanned our board as an indicator of audience desires and reactions, they'd be left completely confused. On the one hand, we ask for entertainment, but then when we get it, in the form of Felger, we pan it as a d-b, b.s., know-nothing act. We're a tough crowd to please, and a schizophrenic crowd to boot.

The fact of the matter is, it's not easy to find a perfect combo of entertainment and knowledge in any sports journalism, and hockey is no different. The guys who are entertaining tend to be guys who have ridiculous, polarizing personalities. They are guys willing to act, talk or dress in ways that flout good taste or proper hetero male behavior, or both: Jack Edwards, Jon Gruden, Pierre McGuire, Michael Felger, Mike Milbury, Don Cherry... These are the entertainers. Most of these are very knowledgeable indeed. But they're rare birds, and the ones who combine entertainment and knowledge rarer still.

I think Pederson and Kluzak are fine. They break down plays. They're x's and o's guys, what more do people want?

Dale just needs to get out of the suit, out of the studio, and go down to ice level to hang out with Naoko and Haggs. Grab grab a beer between periods, Dale, go out there and enjoy yourself. Grow a stubble. Interview Julien or something. Pair up with Holley for the post-game commentary. Try it out. Shake up the lines.

Naoko is fine and seems to have good rapport with the B's, but just needs to stop feeding answers so much. (e.g.: "Coach what does it say about the character of this team that they were able to bounce back at the end there"). Post-game interviews are not easy to do, but they shouldn't be perfect echo chambers either (must say though, Julien is a reporter's dream interviewee; he is as collaborative, good-natured, and helpful as they come). Study Craig Sager, Naoko.

Not everyone will agree with these suggestions, but I think this is what we should be doing: offering constructive criticism. The fact of the matter is, some of these TV folks we're talking about may be reading this thread at this very moment.

Bone for your jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:02 PM
Deal Law
S corps suck

This is the network that employs Dan Duquette's kid to tell us what people type on twitter. It's the network that got rid of Rob Simpson so that the person brought in to translate for Dice-K could fumble thrugh intermission interviews. This is the network that employs Leah Hextall's forehead and believes that people want to watch two racists every weekday morning. This is the network that brought us Sox Appeal and some townie wandering around back bay handing out fins to answer boston sports questions that insult your intelligence. In short, NESN is **** and the Bruins studio hosts are the least of its problems.

Deal Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:49 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc5hole View Post
That's too bad. Thanks for the update.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:50 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
This. This. And This. QFT!