Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Realignment approved by BOG - Jets move to Western Conference, "Division B"

Old
01-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Darth Handsome

vCash: 500
I find it hard to believe that union gives a rip about "competitive balance".

Darth Handsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 03:18 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Handsome View Post
I find it hard to believe that union gives a rip about "competitive balance".
Unbalanced conferences lead to uneven odd on making the playoffs.

That has to matter to the players. They all want to win, plus there is real money on the line when it comes to playoffs.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 03:47 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

If i recall, the "published" reasons for not accepting it was:

the players didn't like "uneven" conferences

they asked for more information/explanation

the NHL said it couldn't provide full info/explanation within time for the ps to consider it and respond in time for the NHL to ratify it.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Darth Handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
plus there is real money on the line when it comes to playoffs.
Now that I can believe....

Darth Handsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:31 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
As per Elliott Fiedman just need to be approved by board of governors

Conference A:

1. Toronto
2. Montreal
3. Ottawa
4. Detroit
5. Boston
6. Buffalo
7. Tampa Bay
8. Florida

Conference B

1. Carolina
2. Columbus
3. New Jersey
4. New York (R)
5. New York (I)
6. Philadelphia
7. Pittsburgh
8. Washington

Conference C

1. Chicago
2. Colorado
3. Dallas
4. Minnesota
5. Nashville
6. St Louis
7. Winnipeg

Conference D

1. Anaheim
2. Calgary
3. Edmonton
4. Los Angeles
5. Phoenix
6. San Jose
7. Vancouver

Would be ready to go for the 2013-2014 Season

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:45 PM
JetsHomer

Chicago and St Louis are both playoff locks, and its going to be really hard getting past them if we do make playoffs.I like that were in a 7 team conference.

Colorado is worse than us. Nashville has talent but I'd say them and Minnesota and Dallas are all very close to us.

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:52 PM
BigZ65

With divisional games like that we'll have a good chance at a Nordique/Oiler rebuild.

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:26 PM
Boreal

I like it, but that new division for us is going to be TOUGH. Chevy is building a north-south team just in time. Sure would be fun though. Having Denver in our conference is a pleasant surprise. Let the war with Minneapolis begin! (I know where the Xcel Energy Centre is, but I treat St. Paul the same way I do Mississauga...)

Hockey likely forever saved in Florida with this alignment. With Detroit, Boston, Toronto and Montreal coming to town every other night, they will sell out.

...this all under the assumption that such an alignment goes through.

Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:38 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

wow...that would really suck in my opinion.....being the only canadian team not in a conference with any other canadian teams would make us lost in the media hinterland more than we already are....we are already demoted to the 2:00 time slot on saturdays....imagine what this would do.

tough to form a rivalry with giant american cities where the sport is number 5 on the popularity list, and none of their fans could find us on a map, or pronounce the name of our city....the natural rivalries are with canadian cities, where there is some passion for the game....where we have a connection beyond the game on the ice.

the best games are when toronto, montreal, edmonton have come to town because the barn is full of opposing fans.....everyone in winnipeg knows someone in those cities.....remember the games in calgary and vancouver last year?...they were like home games for the jets.....we are intimately connected to those cities......none of that will happen with St. louis or Denver....i doubt many of their fans will be coming up here for games the way people from edmonton did last year.

at least before we had 2 original 6 teams as compensation for being the ugly duckling.....now we dont even get that....all of these hockey night in canada games we get......all the games we get on TSN, sportsnet, will mean nothing to us at all.....how often is there a nashville/dallas game on tv?...how often is there a calgary, edmonton or vancouver game on?.....4-5 times a week?

i was hoping they would at least abandon the 4 conference idea so games all across the west meant something to us in the standings....this year is a perfect example of how games in the other conference mean nothing......i have zero interest in watching all of those games we see because they mean nothing to us.

Last edited by peter sullivan: 02-23-2013 at 11:02 PM.
peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:39 PM
surge1979

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
Couple comments:

-the PA never said "No". They said "we can't consent yet - we need more information".

-I think they gave a couple of reasons why they were concerned, but one of them was "competitive balance", since there were two conferences of 7 teams, and two of 8 teams, but only 4 teams made it into the playoffs.

But yes, I think it was just another negotiating ploy.
This. Originally, I was pissed that the players turned down realignment, but they might have done us a huge favor. Its a mathematical certainty the Jets would have worse odds of making the playoffs in a 8 team conference vs others in a 7 team conference. If this is fixed AND we get a reasonable travel schedule, realignment is a great thing.

surge1979 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:48 PM
Boreal

I get the fact that we are not in a division with Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver - but there is nothing more misfitting for us then being with Tampa, Miami, Raleigh and D.C. At least now we have Minny and Chicago. I'm also excited for Colorado and Nashville. Plus, Chicago, Denver and Dallas make for some interesting extended (okay very extended) road trip/vacation ideas. I suppose St. Louis has some history in the league, and is not a complete unknown commodity. High fives for mostly central time zone starts!

Old
02-23-2013, 10:50 PM
Andy6
Court Jetster

If I were in Quebec City I wouldn't like the looks of that. There doesn't look to be any easy shift in the works that would fit a QC team in there.

I think the Jets will be totally lost in terms of media coverage now. The loss of Detroit from that group makes it less interesting. But whatever, it is what it is. Minnesota and Chicago are good rivals.

Andy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:53 PM
knorthern knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
As per Elliott Fiedman just need to be approved by board of governors

[...deletia...]

Would be ready to go for the 2013-2014 Season
That's assuming the Coyotes stay put next season. The only place that has facilities and owner and a proven market is Quebec. The Colisee will do for a couple of seasons till the new arena is ready. Their fans are always mentioning that Colisee has more seats than we do If the move to QC happens, QC belongs in the Northeast, and one eastern team will be bumped and forced to join us in the Central. That could be either Columbus or Detroit

That would also make the "western conference" and the "eastern conference" both 8+7 = 15 teams. I could see the top three in each division getting playoff spots with the bottom 2 spots in each conference open to crossovers. That would address player concerns about equal chances to make the playoffs.

Edit: to...
  • keep the western divisions 8+7
  • prevent having 3 timezones in "CENTRAL"
Colorado joins PACIFIC

Last edited by knorthern knight: 02-23-2013 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Mention Colorado if Phoenix moves
knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:55 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
I get the fact that we are not in a division with Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver - but there is nothing more misfitting for us then being with Tampa, Miami, Raleigh and D.C. !
of course, but that was never an option....we always knew that was temporary and we would be moving.....it was just a matter of where we ended up.

i would actually prefer 8:00 starts to road games.

actually, the south east right now is the best division to be in....you can be in 12th, 2 points out of 3rd.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:58 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

i would be ok with this if it was two conferences and top 8 make it....i would also prefer a schedule where every team gets a home and way with every other team each season...

i hate this seeing the same team over and over thing.....picking shared season ticket games sucks because it seems like we play carolina every second week.....next year that will be nashville or dallas.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:13 PM
Boreal

I prefer to see similar teams - it helps to build rivalries. I'd love to have a situation similar to the NFL, where the Ravens and Steelers for example constantly draft to tailor their roster to beat each other. It gives organizations some focus. Our new focus would be to build to get out of the division. It is a more clear and achievable goal, as there are 6 other variables, not 14. In this case, the focus right now would be building to best Chicago.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:26 PM
surge1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
If I were in Quebec City I wouldn't like the looks of that. There doesn't look to be any easy shift in the works that would fit a QC team in there.

I think the Jets will be totally lost in terms of media coverage now. The loss of Detroit from that group makes it less interesting. But whatever, it is what it is. Minnesota and Chicago are good rivals.
Yes, the new conferences would have 16 teams in the East vs 14 in the West. This is terrible for Quebec as there is almost no chance that CBJ or DET volunteer to go west.

Looks like Seattle is the preferred destination for Phoenix (provided the City of Glendale isn't prepared to continue flushing hundreds of millions down the drain).

surge1979 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:10 AM
JetsHomer

Seattle doesn't have a NHL arena for next year though...

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:28 AM
Hobble

Phoenix to QC in Northeast. Detroit into Central. Colorado into Pacific.

Hobble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:47 AM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobble View Post
Phoenix to QC in Northeast. Detroit into Central. Colorado into Pacific.
No way detroit ever comes back to the west once the re-alignment is done.

NHL must have a plan as to where the Coyotes will end up.

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:55 AM
tntkid

Until the Coyotes move I don't see us realigning to the West.

I am still happy seeing Pittsburgh, Boston, Philly & the Rangers come to town.

tntkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:56 AM
angrymnky

Would rather we were in any other conference. We're with most of the teams I was never that interested in. Oh well.

angrymnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:03 AM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
I love the Blues so it'll be nice to see them a bunch. I like the looks of it, wonder if there will actually be some sort of wild card because of the uneven numbers.

02-24-2013, 03:35 AM
sting13

Quote:
Originally Posted by surge1979 View Post
Yes, the new conferences would have 16 teams in the East vs 14 in the West. This is terrible for Quebec as there is almost no chance that CBJ or DET volunteer to go west.

Looks like Seattle is the preferred destination for Phoenix (provided the City of Glendale isn't prepared to continue flushing hundreds of millions down the drain).
They don't plan on having East and West conferences any more.
4 conferences with top 4 in each making the playoffs.

sting13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:56 AM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

They are discussing wild card options to even out the chances a bit for the conferences with 8 teams. They were also mentioning last time that they wanted one home and one away game for each team in the league every year. I am not sure if once they take travel into account that that idea will have legs but I hope so like Peter says I don't like the idea of seeing a team every second season. If my math is correct that would eat up 23 home games then the other 18 home games would be our division rivals (3 home 3 away)

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote