Notices

Alfredsson Rumour/Speculation

Old
02-22-2013, 01:20 PM
DOGSTARMAN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebottom View Post
When its closer to the trade line and if Ottawa is pretty much out of it, and if Alfie decides he wants one last shot at the cup, then our late 1st rounder should do it. I'm sure no one in the Sen's organization will stand in Alfie's way to do what he wants at that point. He earned his own fate after being a loyal soldier for so long. Wont matter at all that Boston and Ottawa are in the same division in this case. A lot of "ifs", but I like our chances if Alfie decides to go Bourque.
Except that the Bruins first round pick is likely to be #25 or lower, at least. Which means that any number of playoff teams could possibly offer a more useful 1st round pick. And that's not even getting into teams offering overall better packages for Alfredsson. There should be a little bidding war around him, I don't think he comes without pain, if at all. There is no way Ottawa does not maximize the return for him. Paul Freakin' Gaustad cost a 1st round pick last year at the deadline.

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
You guys are not getting our captain! :p
Eh, if somebody has to get Alfie, I hope it's the Bruins.

Neil Patrick Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty

vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Patrick Harris View Post
We'd be happy to have him... Wouldn't care at all if he signed a one-day contract with the Sens after the season so he could retire with them, either. He'd be a HUGE addition to this lineup. Claude and Chia are all about those veterans, Alfredsson is like a Recchi with more scoring ability. YES PLEASE. Rex had a huge part in our 2011 Cup run and we were missing someone like him last year. Rolston was a nice addition but he was no Recchi. He'd be playing on his former teammate Kelly's line, and Peverley isn't that hard to get along with. Chara and Chia have a history with him as well.

Not sure if you guys would feel the same way, but I was really happy to see Ray win a cup with the Avs. It was really bittersweet, since he spent 20 years here with us, but he gave us everything he had. The least we could do was give him a chance to win. It was really hard letting him go, though. I understand your hesitation big time...

We won't retire his number, if that makes you feel any better about trading him to us.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:36 PM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye View Post
Except that the Bruins first round pick is likely to be #25 or lower, at least. Which means that any number of playoff teams could possibly offer a more useful 1st round pick. And that's not even getting into teams offering overall better packages for Alfredsson. There should be a little bidding war around him, I don't think he comes without pain, if at all. There is no way Ottawa does not maximize the return for him. Paul Freakin' Gaustad cost a 1st round pick last year at the deadline.
I know its a late pick, but if Alfie decides on Boston, then it wont matter what anyone else offers. I think Sens will go with Alfie's choice and try to get the most out of that team. And Boston is a contender with familiar faces like Chia, Chara and Kelly. Just my opinion.

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:42 PM
DOGSTARMAN

Quote:
I know its a late pick, but if Alfie decides on Boston, then it wont matter what anyone else offers. I think Sens will go with Alfie's choice and try to get the most out of that team. And Boston is a contender with familiar faces like Chia, Chara and Kelly. Just my opinion.
I don't know. Supposedly Ray Bourque wanted to go to Philly but Boston sent him to Colorado because that was the best deal. Every situation is different but I think sometimes this stuff about the loyalty to the player is romanticized. If the Senators can get a better return for Alfredsson somewhere else, if the Rangers offer up a 1st and a good prospect, I doubt they simply let DA pick his favorite team and take whatever that team feels like coughing up. He could be one of the most interesting names changing hands this season and I have to believe the Senators maximize the return.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye View Post
I don't know. Supposedly Ray Bourque wanted to go to Philly but Boston sent him to Colorado because that was the best deal. Every situation is different but I think sometimes this stuff about the loyalty to the player is romanticized. If the Senators can get a better return for Alfredsson somewhere else, if the Rangers offer up a 1st and a good prospect, I doubt they simply let DA pick his favorite team and take whatever that team feels like coughing up. He could be one of the most interesting names changing hands this season and I have to believe the Senators maximize the return.
Maybe, but that was in the Sinden era. Maybe Alfie would remain a good soldier to the end and let the Sens maximize their return, but in these PC days, if Alfie decides on Boston, there wouldn't be much the Sens could do about it without looking bad.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:56 PM
DOGSTARMAN

Quote:
Maybe, but that was in the Sinden era. Maybe Alfie would remain a good soldier to the end and let the Sens maximize their return, but in these PC days, if Alfie decides on Boston, there wouldn't be much the Sens could do about it without looking bad.
Would you be happy if the Bruins dealt Chara to the Canadiens for a 1st round pick while the Flyers were offering two 1st and a 2nd pick just because Chara wanted to go to the Canadiens? I think the Senators would look worse by accommodating a departing player to a degree that lessens the team's position going forward. If the guy is leaving, he's leaving, fans will cheer him if/when he shows up in another uniform while being happy about what they got for him. I don't think they will have meaningful good feelings towards the team for doing whatever Alfie wanted when he departed.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:17 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll 4 Lines View Post
Nice! I love their books. The best I've read for training.

I've got a 10-month old GSD. She's got a ton of energy, but is smart as a whip and trainable as heck.

How old was your pup when you got him/her, and what kind of training had she already been through?

Sorry for the off-topic post...

I pretty much agree with DKH's long post. Not a big fan of rentals, but history is riddled with trades of prospects that never pan out.
8 weeks old. No formal training but lots of socialization and handling while still with the Monks.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:42 PM
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Patrick Harris View Post
I agree with this.

I don't want him going anywhere, and I don't think he wants to go anywhere, but if he's changed his mind, then I hope he goes to Boston.

He's been the face of our franchise for so long, and has done so much for us, that I think all Ottawa fans would wish him luck and hope he can achieve what he wasn't able to get here. If anyone deserves it, it's Alfie.

Penny Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie Grossie View Post
I agree with this.

I don't want him going anywhere, and I don't think he wants to go anywhere, but if he's changed his mind, then I hope he goes to Boston.

He's been the face of our franchise for so long, and has done so much for us, that I think all Ottawa fans would wish him luck and hope he can achieve what he wasn't able to get here. If anyone deserves it, it's Alfie.
at least the half sens half B's jersey wouldn't look too bad with the Spartan warrior on the left side and the Spoked B complementing it on the right side.

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:47 PM
RussellmaniaKW

man it sure is nice to finally be the team that guys want to come to for a last shot at a cup rather than the team that guys are requesting a trade away from to win a cup.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:55 PM
Wizeman*

Alfie wont agree to a trade . Even if he did, the odds that that team would want or need him in some practical way is just wishful thinking by Sens fans dreaming of ca$hing in something for the old guy.

I think Nashville could use a skilled guy, in spite of the fact he is 40. After the Gaustad debacle, there is no way in hell they give up their first rounder this year. So I dont know what they would even offer.

St Louis probably could use him but they aint winning the cup. Why would Alfie agree to go play for a team that has no real hope of making it to the conference finals realistically. What a waste of time.

He would have to be pretty sure that team has a fair chance of winning the cup. Rangers, Bruins, Canucks, Black Hawks Ducks . Kings are so over stacked they cant use him. They dont even have their first rounder anyways.

Rangers dont need an 40 year old winger. Canucks might be able to use him but not enough to give up our first. Would have to be a player swap. David Booth is the guy.

Bruins are over stacked offensively Alfie cant help them. They play a grinding cycle game anyways which Alfie has never played or enjoyed.

The Ducks are a team that might be able to use him and might part with their first rounder.

There is no other team that has a legitimate chance to win the cup that needs to shell out assets to get Alfie.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
Alfie wont agree to a trade . Even if he did, the odds that that team would want or need him in some practical way is just wishful thinking by Sens fans dreaming of ca$hing in something for the old guy.

I think Nashville could use a skilled guy, in spite of the fact he is 40. After the Gaustad debacle, there is no way in hell they give up their first rounder this year. So I dont know what they would even offer.

St Louis probably could use him but they aint winning the cup. Why would Alfie agree to go play for a team that has no real hope of making it to the conference finals realistically. What a waste of time.

He would have to be pretty sure that team has a fair chance of winning the cup. Rangers, Bruins, Canucks, Black Hawks Ducks . Kings are so over stacked they cant use him. They dont even have their first rounder anyways.

Rangers dont need an 40 year old winger. Canucks might be able to use him but not enough to give up our first. Would have to be a player swap. David Booth is the guy.

Bruins are over stacked offensively Alfie cant help them. They play a grinding cycle game anyways which Alfie has never played or enjoyed.

The Ducks are a team that might be able to use him and might part with their first rounder.

There is no other team that has a legitimate chance to win the cup that needs to shell out assets to get Alfie.
The Bruins aren't offensively stacked yet. The 3rd is in a rut right now. Alfie would fit that perfectly.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:18 AM
QuattroFTW

Bruins and Red Wings are on my very short list of "approved" teams for Alfie. I think while nobody wants Alfie to leave, most true Sens fans wouldn't mind a trade and Boston seems like a fairly logical move. Lots of Ottawa connections in the organization and Claude Julien has always been a local source of hockey inspiration. I remember when the B's won and the cup made the rounds through Ottawa.

Boston has always had a strong team but unlike some other "strong out of the gate" teams they've got the whole package. Scoring depth, good goaltending, hard physical play and excellent coaching. The only time we hate your team is when we play you, which usually doesn't end well in our favour.

QuattroFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:38 AM
RedeyeRocketeer

Someone saying we're offensively stacked has obviously not seen our power play. Alfie has 129 career PPG, and still has a sweet shot. Yes please.

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:46 AM
Easye3288

How about Michael Ryder? I think he would be "less painful" to acquire, knows the system, and I'm certain he helps Kelly and Pevs going forward.

Easye3288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:57 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
games in hand or not the Sens are ahead of us and probably have enough young guys and energy in a shortened season to hang around for another month and be in the hunt. Bet in the end Alfredsson is to valuable to deal and the Sens may have more points than the might Rangers, Flyers and others come trade deadline day

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:06 AM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
games in hand or not the Sens are ahead of us and probably have enough young guys and energy in a shortened season to hang around for another month and be in the hunt. Bet in the end Alfredsson is to valuable to deal and the Sens may have more points than the might Rangers, Flyers and others come trade deadline day
Yup. Ottawa is tied tor 1st in the East. They have won more consecutive games than any team in the NHL with the exception of Chicago I believe. They aren't going to be sellers for quite a bit if at all.

The only teams that look clearly out are Buffalo (forget a deal) and Columbus. Calgary comes to mind also.

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:11 AM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easye3288 View Post
How about Michael Ryder? I think he would be "less painful" to acquire, knows the system, and I'm certain he helps Kelly and Pevs going forward.
Love Ryder back. Since Boston has made the PO every year since Ryder was here his
contribution always should include his PO production. There is always at least 1 series
he carries the team offensively, usually the first round where a lot of upsets occur.

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:07 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowline View Post
Yup. Ottawa is tied tor 1st in the East. They have won more consecutive games than any team in the NHL with the exception of Chicago I believe. They aren't going to be sellers for quite a bit if at all.

The only teams that look clearly out are Buffalo (forget a deal) and Columbus. Calgary comes to mind also.
What Ottawa has in belief- that can never be discounted. They have a heck of a coach, a great staff, young guys with swagger- I can see them hanging in this as long as Bishop and Lehner play well, not great but well.

I'm not so sure they will be anything but right there come April 1st and if so why on Gods green earth would they move their iconic captain

I'm going Thursday so I'm going to pay extra attention to these boys

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:19 PM
BobbyAwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernhome View Post
don't like him, he seems to be the antithesis of "Bruin"
Meaning he scores on the PP?

BobbyAwe is offline   Reply With Quote