HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Win 3-2

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 08:17 PM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

vCash: 1240
a win is a win!!! 1 point off a playoff spot, and same record as Det....not bad, not bad at all.

its also fun reading the "fire Krueger" rants..

road trip, where the team is going to come together and become galvanized!! c'mon boys.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:33 PM
sundog

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyakasha View Post
a win is a win!!! 1 point off a playoff spot, and same record as Det....not bad, not bad at all.

its also fun reading the "fire Krueger" rants..

road trip, where the team is going to come together and become galvanized!! c'mon boys.
I admire your optimism...
Here's hoping we look back at this post in three weeks and marvel at how smart you are...

Old
02-23-2013, 08:34 PM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1100
just got home and saw the score and will have to now read this thread.
good job it seems by the Oilers gutting out a comeback victory over a tough team.
I didn't expect it, but I did have 100vcash on them!

Old
02-23-2013, 08:34 PM
ponokanocker

RNH with a couple of nice hits! I was shocked.

This team had sorely missed Jones. It was great seeing him back out there.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:41 PM
BadMedicine*

[QUOTE=sundog;60336417]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Eberle was just last year. The reality is in present day NHL Not many instances of 40 goals.

I think Yak could be that guy, possibly Eberle if he really bears down and keeps working hard his career. Hall another guy.

One of the problems on this club is the reliance on perfect cross ice plays instead of more guys earning a living on crashing and cashing.[/
QUOTE]

Amen to that.
Yes I can see exactly what you mean when I look at the Blackhawks position in the standings, in fact we can all see that cant we. The Hawks are not a crash and cash team, not at all. We need to have a gameplan that includes this dimension but only on a game per game basis, but you cant ask certain systems of play to crash and cash because it isnt as simple as just telling them what to do in the o-zone, it all starts back in the d-zone. And this means the entire system focus must support crash and cash and that would mean a new system which this team refuses to shop for.

The cross-ice passes arent bad if you use a two level support for them trying to get deflections before the pass gets all the way across ice, in other words we need a man in the middle trying to deflect those passes in some of the time and letting them through some of the time so we have two cracks at a shot on net from one catalysing play action. I cant mention the system that I know teaches this principal on this site anymore, because even though it isnt formally being used anywhere I am apparently advertising it when I refer to it, so use your own darn imagination or google to find one that might fit the roster we have. But lets not make it seem like these issues are this complicated, our system is crappy and managment wont change it because they are vain and they are willing to do this until some more of them retire and are no longer influential in NHL hockey, this is an example of the Souray Solution by the Oilers, they snuff out anything they dont like to hear anything that points the powerful finger of accountability at them, they are like a quasi-mafia as soon as they are exposed they call in the cleaners. The pro hockey world is a jungle I guess.

As Krueger did say in so many words yesterday, players can develop habits that keep them outside the critical scoring areas, but the system we use prohibits players from cutting in and out of the shooting lanes and areas by proxy so Ralph is blaming the players, saying that they arent attentive after wins is also blaming them and questioning their professionalism. The system weakness is causing a constellation of peripheral damages to this club, and no one has the guts to speak about it openly not even the media traditional and non-traditional. We are seeing the results of the system we use not inconsistancy from the players or coaches, this is the difference between a set play system and a transitional system, a set play system means players always have a specific place to be and responsibility to the systems integrity, this means they CANT be cutting in and out and flying through shooting lanes and areas like we want to see so we can get some offense going, their creativity is severly curtailed. Instead the entire league is saying we are to small to weak to much lacking in grit,,we are being questioned at the core levels and our system ties our hands when we want to reply to the critique and after that we weaken more because we start to realise there is no way out for us. The refs refuse to give us any calls because they know the offensive power we have and they want us to earn our opportunitys. This is all easy stuff to see. You guess why and how an NHL team could be so in the dark without there being some type of conspiracy afoot.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:42 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post
What the? Only 1 point out of playoffs? I had given up on playoffs at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
I really thought Khabibulin was done and wouldn't play more than 6-8 games this year. Now it looks like it could be 15+ if he continues playing at this level and Dubnyk has weak outings. I like the competition, Dubnyk needs to be pushed to get those weak goals out of his game.

As for the standings, win 3 and your right there, lose three and you look like your cooked. Honestly, wouldn't everyone be satisfied with some 'progression' if the Oilers simply finished 20-24th in the final league standings? Playoffs would be great, but a playoff race is more realistic and would show improvement.
I'd be happy with a playoff race, if we're within 3-4 points of a playoff birth after the road trip I'll be happy. Unfortunately it's more probable we'll be 6-8 points out by the end of the road trip essentially out of the playoff race.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:49 PM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

vCash: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I'd be happy with a playoff race, if we're within 3-4 points of a playoff birth after the road trip I'll be happy. Unfortunately it's more probable we'll be 6-8 points out by the end of the road trip essentially out of the playoff race.
if the Oil can go 5 - 4 i'll be happy, but i'm gonna go ahead and be a little more optimistic and say they come back 6-2-1 road warriors.....receive a heroes welcome and a city buzzing.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:13 PM
blueracer17

I'm in the camp that says the road trip might be good for this team at this moment. I think they are pressing and feeling the heat all around them. We will find out on Monday what this team is made of. If they can get off to a good start on this massive roady, they might be able to roll it into a nice trip. I went to bed last night trying to figure out a back-up team to get behind and I can't come up with one. Guess I am truly and Oil fan.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:20 PM
dookers9

A road trip can't be any worse than the at-home funk they've fallen into.

Bring on the kms.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Wow just seen Gagner's deke in so

Old
02-23-2013, 09:26 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
just got home and saw the score and will have to now read this thread.
good job it seems by the Oilers gutting out a comeback victory over a tough team.
I didn't expect it, but I did have 100vcash on them!
Must see Gags deke on nhl .com

Old
02-23-2013, 09:58 PM
poetryingasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
The only thing that frustrates me more than the Oilers is our totally manic fan base. ****, it's embarassing sometimes, just like the title of this thread.
Agreed 110%.

Oiler fans need to stop being so bi polar

Old
02-23-2013, 10:00 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Eberle is already a true goal scorer in my opinion. He's slumping right now and he's got six goals, and he scored over 30 last year. Hall should be a lock for thirty every year too.
6 goals in 18 games is good for 27 in a full season. Nice "slump". Haha

Old
02-23-2013, 10:01 PM
Spawn

I was so split this game in my view on it.

30 minutes in and it seemed to be shaping up into another 2-1 loss where we just can't score. But the Oilers kept the pressure on and kept putting the puck on net and get the tie. They played well for the vast majority of the game.

But then they get that tie and Krueger just completely sits back on it. Hell, he admitted it in the post game scrum. He was putting Smyth and Belanger out there to get the game to a shootout. That is pretty lame.

I'm frustrated that Krueger's only solution to change up the top 6 is to drop Yakupov out of it. Give the kid a few games with RNH and see what sort of chemistry he can generate. He got open in the slot a few times this afternoon that very few have been able to do on this team this season.

Oh well, they got the win. Some good things definitely happened tonight.

That Gagner deke was an absolute thing of beauty. One of his best.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:27 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I would normally agree Spawn, but with a young team, to battle back at home to get the point after a craptastic stretch of games makes sense.

If they had battled back and then lost the game in the last 5 minutes would have been deflating.

Nice to see the 2 goals were earned the hard way. Forechecking and shots from the point.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:43 PM
InUtero
Oilers!

vCash: 50
I hope we can win atleast 5 out of the 9 road games if we want to keep our playoff hopes alive

Old
02-23-2013, 11:53 PM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I was so split this game in my view on it.

30 minutes in and it seemed to be shaping up into another 2-1 loss where we just can't score. But the Oilers kept the pressure on and kept putting the puck on net and get the tie. They played well for the vast majority of the game.

But then they get that tie and Krueger just completely sits back on it. Hell, he admitted it in the post game scrum. He was putting Smyth and Belanger out there to get the game to a shootout. That is pretty lame.

I'm frustrated that Krueger's only solution to change up the top 6 is to drop Yakupov out of it. Give the kid a few games with RNH and see what sort of chemistry he can generate. He got open in the slot a few times this afternoon that very few have been able to do on this team this season.
Agreed, Yakupov got the shaft today.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:02 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryingasoline View Post
Agreed 110%.

Bipolar is fine, it's the flaming that needs to stop. It's gotten really bad in here over the last 2 years. You can't say anything without someone attacking you for it.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:10 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryingasoline View Post
Agreed 110%.

As long as the team is bipolar, the fans will be too.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:22 AM
NotProkofievian

Habs fan here: that was a dirty little pass by Yakupov to Eberle. Nice play. Also, a couple great shoot-out goals.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:57 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmadz View Post
fire kruger? really? I like what he's done with his lineup choices thus far and benching players like whitney and smyth, (and then of course, promoting smyth to the top line when he's playing better)

I think you guys need to put your hatchets away and quit looking for scapegoats, this is a team game and today's effort (or lack thereof) was a team effort.

Anyhow... The main point of interest for me is that today's game should have been a "split-decision"

<rant>
There is no reason that some games should be worth 3 points, and some worth 2...

Did we deserve to win? well, kinda...

Do we deserve FULL credit? no, not really...

-- regulation win = 3 points
-- overtime/shootout win = 2 points
-- overtime/shootout loss = 1 point

it's that simple!

all games should be equal points awarded, this is so obvious. I guess that's why they *the NHL* is so strongly against it.

</rant>

Note: 3 point scoring system does not apply to the playoffs, of course. In the playoffs you have wins and losses, not points, and you play until the game is over. That's it.
Myself and others have been saying this for years but the real reason is the NHL wants to maintain a false sense of parity to satisfy all the owners who think their team is closer to being good that they really are. Thus the NHL is a farce in this way but a business is a business.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:00 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashyflash View Post
Looking back at the years we had Eberle's 34 last year.

2009-2010 Penner had 32

2006-07 Smyth had 31 then traded to NYI.

This is the problem if you bring players in that were meant to play offense then let them make mistakes sometimes, usually it will balance out.

Havlat and Gaborik aren't great defensive players you don't see their coaches benching them.

We need to stop thinking backwards.
Gaborik's been benched recently.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:02 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
There's an even simpler way. Just give points to the winning team, and none to the losing team. Why give points to OT/SO losers at all? I mean, with no chances of a tie thanks to the shootout after a 5 minute OT, what's the benefit to the loser point in any form?

02-24-2013, 01:12 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Wasn't able to watch the game.

How was Jonesy?

Also, what were the lines like? They seem to have gotten juggled...a lot.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:40 AM
Spawn

Donno where else to post this really. But my god is Nuge in an epic slump right now.

4 points in his first 5 games and now 3 in his last 11. Yikes. He needs to get going big time here.

Smyth is just 1 point back of RNH!

Closed Thread