HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

HNIC shows new potential alignment with 16 teams in "east" groupings

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 11:06 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

vCash: 500
I love everything about this realignment.

The "northeast" conference will be amazing!!

The prospect of Toronto, Detroit, Montreal and Boston all being in a playoff bracket has me feeling all tingly.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:07 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
WC, especially chicago, would rage at the loss of detroit.

QC fans would be quite disappointed to see that alignment, as it would appear to tip the NHL's hand on expansion.

02-23-2013, 11:08 PM
Gustave

Both Detroit and Columbus joining the East doesn't work. Well, it won't if Qc gets a team. I'm guessing it's one of them that moves, not both.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:10 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
I mean using the proposal given far west would have 6 teams III would have 7 II 8 1 9.

If Phx was going to quebec city NHL wouldn't have proposed realignment like this. Phx moving to seattle would not cause any issues with the proposal relignment like i said. But if NHL wants to keep it IV 7 III 7 II 8 I 8 and Phx goes to quebec city which teams are gonna get moved to the other conferences to keep it like that.
That's great... if they know who is coming to the table and have their preferred buyer lined up.

If not, Atlanta could reprise itself again where the buyer that shows up is one that makes no sense as realignment goes.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:11 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
I can't begin to explain how much I hate the fact the divisons wouldn't have the same number of teams in them.

Like a huge wtf there for me.

If someone can explain why it's okay and the logic behind it I'm all ears.

The only thing I can see is it leaves open the potential for a new two team expansion. But an expansion at a time with teams struggling also seems ludicrous to me.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:13 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post

QC fans would be quite disappointed to see that alignment, as it would appear to tip the NHL's hand on expansion.
To me it pretty much means Phoenix moves to Seattle. Québec will once again be screwed by the NHL. We are starting to get used to it here.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:17 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post

What "hand" were the owners themselves showing 14 months ago when they left two 7-team Divisions in the East?

I have to laugh at the idea that some are presenting here, that this proposed alignment shows more the League's intention for expansion than the plan 14 months ago. You should get the message by now that none of these realignment plans have anything to do with potential expansion locations.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:21 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
To me it pretty much means Phoenix moves to Seattle. Québec will once again be screwed by the NHL. We are starting to get used to it here.
Seattle in terms of a NHL team has been screwed for years. Failed expansion attempt that would had given seattle a team to ownership issues to arena being redesigned intentionally for basketball only.

I think that failed expansion attempt now correct me if i am wrong would had put a team in seattle and colorado which if been successful Quebec city may not had necessary lost their team.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:26 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Seattle in terms of a NHL team has been screwed for years. Failed expansion attempt that would had given seattle a team to ownership issues to arena being redesigned intentionally for basketball only.

I think that failed expansion attempt now correct me if i am wrong would had put a team in seattle and colorado which if been successful Quebec city may not had necessary lost their team.
Bettman let the team in Québec go without making any effort to find a solution in Québec City. Until i get a team back, i will not trust that guy.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:28 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Bettman let the team in Québec go without making any effort to find a solution in Québec City. Until i get a team back, i will not trust that guy.
Now you feel how we felt when Stern let the Sonics go with little effort in trying to find a solution there.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:30 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Ok, what about a look at the potential of this alignment passing...
I don't see anything which would cause the 3 teams that voted against the previous proposal not also voting against this one, so that's 3.
Most here seem to think that Chicago, Nashville, and St Louis would vote against Detroit leaving the Division, so that's another 3.
But that's still a potential 24/29 owners voting in favor.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:34 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
The amount of sense that it makes to leave Detroit in Chicago's division makes this baffling....

They're going to create an entire play-in system just to move Detroit East, when the previous proposal solved most of Detroit's concerns...

I'm pretty disgusted by this thing. Nice to see a Wings fan feel the same way.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:34 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

The proposal from last year made a lot more sense

but whatever, I'd be fine with this.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:39 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
I'm pretty disgusted by this thing. Nice to see a Wings fan feel the same way.
You know, what makes less sense, Hawks fan, I know it's bad for Chicago, but how is it good for the League to have 4 of the O-6 in the same Division.
Detroit, Toronto, Buffalo... That's completely logical, but beyond that, ??

Has anyone thought of this? Could they be setting this up for an eventual eight 4-team Divisions?

Old
02-23-2013, 11:43 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
I think it's very illogical to stake 1 division like that, yes.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:46 PM
Jag68Sid87

Here's what I don't get. The travel is being way overblown as an issue. Yeah, some teams have some travel concerns that other teams (in the East) don't have. Here's the bottom line:

2006 - Carolina
2007 - Anaheim
2008 - Detroit
2009 - Pittsburgh
2010 - Chicago
2011 - Boston
2012 - Los Angeles

Those are your champions since the previous lockout. Travel doesn't cause teams to NOT win the Stanley Cup. And THAT should be the main concern here. You can be a Pacific Division team and win the Cup. You can be a Southeast team and win the Cup (well, maybe not Winnipeg!). You can be Detroit in the CENTRAL Division and win the Cup. Just as often as any Eastern team with cozy travel. In fact, the "Patrick Division" teams (except Pit) haven't won in a while, though Jersey made the finals last year. It just happens.

So they should stop talking about travel like it's an on-ice issue. It's all about corporate sponsors. They shouldn't have the most say in this, because ultimately the league has to do what's best for the game, first and foremost. Respect the game.

Besides, fans are used to all kinds of start times to watch hockey. If you like hockey, you watch...any time.

I watch 10:30pm ET games that run until 1am all the time. I work at 7am. Why do I do this? Because it's hockey and I love it, so I watch and sacrifice sleep. This is what we do.

It just seems to me like there is too much tinkering for something that isn't really THAT broken. Yes Winnipeg is in the wrong division. Yes the Dallas situation should be addressed because they definitely are in the wrong division. But overall, they don't need to do THAT much tinkering.

Detroit needs to stay where they are. The mere thought of the Wings not having the Blackhawks and Blues right next to them is completely foreign. Hell, their rivalry with Nashville is already one of the best and it hasn't really been that long.

And Winnipeg really really should be in the same division with Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver. Natural rivalries.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:49 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2960
Who said it has anything to do with Stanley Cup odds? Owners want it so they could save money and the players want it so they could not be on as many long flights.

02-23-2013, 11:50 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
You know, what makes less sense, Hawks fan, I know it's bad for Chicago, but how is it good for the League to have 4 of the O-6 in the same Division.
Detroit, Toronto, Buffalo... That's completely logical, but beyond that, ??

Has anyone thought of this? Could they be setting this up for an eventual eight 4-team Divisions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
I think it's very illogical to stake 1 division like that, yes.
In what way is it "illogical"? It maximizes the number of marquee games between O6 opponents, which is great for TV.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:52 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
I've thought about this for some time...

Montreal
Ottawa
Quebec
Toronto (Maple Leafs)

Boston
Buffalo
Columbus
Pittsburgh

New Jersey
NY Islanders
NY Rangers
Philadelphia

Carolina
Florida
Tampa Bay
Washington

Chicago
Detroit
Toronto (Markham)
St. Louis

Dallas
Colorado
Minnesota
Nashville

Calgary
Edmonton
Vancouver
Winnipeg

Anaheim
Los Angeles
Phoenix (Seattle)
San Jose

The only thing would be to make sure you keep some of the great rivalries that would now be outside the 4-team divisions (some extra Boston-Montreal games, some extra Pittsburgh-Philadelphia games), but that's doable in my opinion.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:53 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
Who said it has anything to do with Stanley Cup odds? Owners want it so they could save money and the players want it so they could not be on as many long flights.
You're probably right, but at the end of the day, boo frickin' hoo.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:56 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Ok, what about a look at the potential of this alignment passing...
I don't see anything which would cause the 3 teams that voted against the previous proposal not also voting against this one, so that's 3.
Most here seem to think that Chicago, Nashville, and St Louis would vote against Detroit leaving the Division, so that's another 3.
But that's still a potential 24/29 owners voting in favor.
Teams that should vote no. Doesn't mean they will, but they should have various beefs.

WPG, entire Central division other than DET, all current Atlantic Division teams, TB, FLA.

Some will obviously vote yes but it's not really in their best interests as a HOCKEY ORGANIZATION to vote yes.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:56 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post

Montreal
Ottawa
Quebec
Toronto (Maple Leafs)

Boston
Buffalo
Columbus
Pittsburgh

New Jersey
NY Islanders
NY Rangers
Philadelphia

Carolina
Florida
Tampa Bay
Washington

Chicago
Detroit
Toronto (Markham)
St. Louis

Dallas
Colorado
Minnesota
Nashville

Calgary
Edmonton
Vancouver
Winnipeg

Anaheim
Los Angeles
Phoenix (Seattle)
San Jose

The only thing would be to make sure you keep some of the great rivalries that would now be outside the 4-team divisions (some extra Boston-Montreal games, some extra Pittsburgh-Philadelphia games), but that's doable in my opinion.
I posted my imagined scenario in the Matrix thread.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:57 PM
gstommylee

Quote:

Montreal
Ottawa
Quebec
Toronto (Maple Leafs)

Boston
Buffalo
Columbus
Pittsburgh

New Jersey
NY Islanders
NY Rangers
Philadelphia

Carolina
Florida
Tampa Bay
Washington

Chicago
Detroit
Toronto (Markham)
St. Louis

Dallas
Colorado
Minnesota
Nashville

Calgary
Edmonton
Vancouver
Winnipeg

Anaheim
Los Angeles
Phoenix (Seattle)
San Jose

Umm that will never work. It would remove Seattle away from its natural rival of Vancouver.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:58 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2960
Quote:
You're probably right, but at the end of the day, boo frickin' hoo.
Boo freaking hoo towards whom? The owners care about money more than they do about anything else.

Last edited by Kane One: 02-24-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old
02-24-2013, 12:02 AM
FakeKidPoker*

It splits up Detroit and Chicago.

Terrible

Closed Thread