HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Raphael Diaz Appreciation Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 03:05 PM
Coldplay
Courage

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I stayed out of the game threads for that game, but how many of you actually thought that Hickey was Diaz's guy? Without going into the mechanics of how the defense "should" have been played, Tavares was Diaz's guy how that 3-on-3 unfolded, and Gally/Gorges had to do a better job handing off Hickey to Gorges, with Gally picking up Grabner (and not getting the puck passed through him by a guy lying on the ice) instead of going right to the puck/Tavares (as he was on the ice, and Diaz was already there).
Thank you.

Was going to post this up but you did it much more succinctly than I could.

Gally and Gorges were the real culprits on that play.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:24 PM
yianik

Gorges is signed long term and PK is RFA status for 3 years after this season. Markov is UFA after next year but will play for us as long as we offer him a contract. I assume we all want Emelin long term in our top 4. Thats a top 4. Diaz is UFA after next season and I assume, that at this rate, he will not be willing to sign as a bottom pairing D-man who gets PP time. He would be smart to assume a team will offer him top 4 kind of money if he hits UFA status. So if the Habs arent willing to offer him $3M and probably $3M plus, hell likely walk me thinks. So basically we see how things go next year but he is a guy who could well be moved before next seasons trade deadline.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:27 PM
Pigems*

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
Gorges is signed long term and PK is RFA status for 3 years after this season. Markov is UFA after next year but will play for us as long as we offer him a contract. I assume we all want Emelin long term in our top 4. Thats a top 4. Diaz is UFA after next season and I assume, that at this rate, he will not be willing to sign as a bottom pairing D-man who gets PP time. He would be smart to assume a team will offer him top 4 kind of money if he hits UFA status. So if the Habs arent willing to offer him $3M and probably $3M plus, hell likely walk me thinks. So basically we see how things go next year but he is a guy who could well be moved before next seasons trade deadline.
Thank you, that's what I've been trying to say

Pigems* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:20 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
Gorges is signed long term and PK is RFA status for 3 years after this season. Markov is UFA after next year but will play for us as long as we offer him a contract.
After 2013-14, if it's a choice between the two, I bet the habs will want to keep Diaz over Markov, and so will most people on these boards. But I suspect that if Markov wants to keep playing, then he will accept a smaller deal and a smaller role for the 2014-15 season. It's hard to see the future that far ahead but I don't see Markov being any faster in a year and a half, and Diaz will still be in his prime at 29.

Quote:
I assume we all want Emelin long term in our top 4. Thats a top 4.
Let's see what the next year and a half are made of first.

Quote:
Diaz is UFA after next season and I assume, that at this rate, he will not be willing to sign as a bottom pairing D-man who gets PP time.
Well that isn't his job at all right now. He plays 3rd most ice time on the habs atm. I don't think it will get worse.

Quote:
He would be smart to assume a team will offer him top 4 kind of money if he hits UFA status. So if the Habs arent willing to offer him $3M and probably $3M plus, hell likely walk me thinks. So basically we see how things go next year but he is a guy who could well be moved before next seasons trade deadline.
It's hard to say how much he will be worth at the end of 2013-14... but I'd def. sign him for 3M.. not even a difficult decision.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:41 PM
Kirk Muller

Diaz has earned his ice time so far although i have honestly been less impressed with his play as of late.

I dont quite understand all the Subban talk and his ice time. Yes Subban can play 25 minutes a night but do we want him to do during the regular season.

People have to remember, Markov is back which is eating up more minutes. Emelin is playing about 2 minutes more a night this year. Diaz has improved and is playing 2 minutes more a night. Kaberle, Weber, and company and there 13 minutes a night arent even in the lineup. All this means is less minutes to go around. They just dont need Subban to play as many minutes as he did last year and there is nothing wrong with that.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:22 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Diaz has earned his ice time so far although i have honestly been less impressed with his play as of late.

I dont quite understand all the Subban talk and his ice time. Yes Subban can play 25 minutes a night but do we want him to do during the regular season.

People have to remember, Markov is back which is eating up more minutes. Emelin is playing about 2 minutes more a night this year. Diaz has improved and is playing 2 minutes more a night. Kaberle, Weber, and company and there 13 minutes a night arent even in the lineup. All this means is less minutes to go around. They just dont need Subban to play as many minutes as he did last year and there is nothing wrong with that.
So to resume your post : such and such habs dmen are getting more minutes so PK is getting less minutes. What an analysis. Thanks for sharing that.

I think everyone realizes that the minutes are spread mostly evenly between all dmen. You talk as if only a desperate team would give more than 20 min to Subban ? The thing is, when you have a horse like Subban in your stable, there is no reason not to play him more than 20 min, unless it's team Canada and all other dmen are as good or better. Which isn't our situation in case you were wondering.

Not to mention that with Markov slowing down and Diaz being unable to handle his penalty kill duties properly... the habs do need Subban to play more.

The point people are bringing up atm is that Subban was part of the #1 PK last season. Best in the league. He was on the first PK unit so he was clearly a big part of it. This year he is not playing on the PK and the habs ****ing suck at it. So, it seems obvious the answer is for Diaz to surrender his penalty kill minutes to Subban. So the habs clearly do need him to play more.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Wow... all kinds of love for a non-physical, defensive liability....

Great- he puts up decent points, and went on a hot streak along with Markov to begin the season- but it ends there. He's not a dominant presence on the back end, and he's costing us goals. A good 5-6... hopefully we can hype him into something worthwhile trade-wise when our promising prospects are ready.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:37 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post

Great- he puts up decent points, and went on a hot streak along with Markov to begin the season- but it ends there. He's not a dominant presence on the back end, and he's costing us goals. A good 5-6... hopefully we can hype him into something worthwhile trade-wise when our promising prospects are ready.
You really don't know what you're talking about here. Diaz has been very impressive defensively.

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:42 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
You really don't know what you're talking about here. Diaz has been very impressive defensively.
Yep, he sure looked impressive when he forgot Moulson in the slot, and looked like a bum on the OT goal. His stickplay and limited physicality will only get him so far. He looks great with limited ice-time, gets exposed over 20+ minutes...

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:05 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Yep, he sure looked impressive when he forgot Moulson in the slot, and looked like a bum on the OT goal. His stickplay and limited physicality will only get him so far. He looks great with limited ice-time, gets exposed over 20+ minutes...
So two plays is what you are basing this on? I don't even agree with you that the OT goal was his fault. I put more blame on Gally there.

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:48 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
So to resume your post : such and such habs dmen are getting more minutes so PK is getting less minutes. What an analysis. Thanks for sharing that.

I think everyone realizes that the minutes are spread mostly evenly between all dmen. You talk as if only a desperate team would give more than 20 min to Subban ? The thing is, when you have a horse like Subban in your stable, there is no reason not to play him more than 20 min, unless it's team Canada and all other dmen are as good or better. Which isn't our situation in case you were wondering.

Not to mention that with Markov slowing down and Diaz being unable to handle his penalty kill duties properly... the habs do need Subban to play more.

The point people are bringing up atm is that Subban was part of the #1 PK last season. Best in the league. He was on the first PK unit so he was clearly a big part of it. This year he is not playing on the PK and the habs ****ing suck at it. So, it seems obvious the answer is for Diaz to surrender his penalty kill minutes to Subban. So the habs clearly do need him to play more.

What a primadonna. He came off really poorly in the Stubbs interview.

Therrien responds:

Right now, I can’t concentrate on that because he’s not there. … I’d love to work with the young man in his development year. It’s fun for a coach, and I’ve been there before, to take a young man like this and work with him for the future. Make him better not only as a player …

Yes, I want to make the player better. But I want to make him a better person. That’s always been my philosophy. I want them to be good teammates. Good teammates work hard, will block a shot for the team, will stand up for his partner.

That’s the pressure I put on my players, to be good teammates. I’d love to work with him, no doubt.

No more celebration after the games, no more penalty kill time for PK = plan the parade.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 07:24 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:

Who cares. And Montreal was the worst team in the Eastern Conference with Subban playing the most minutes. Stop acting like a condescending dick and see that maybe right now, for the betterment of the team, he is playing 20 minutes.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:27 AM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Did you watch the Rangers game? There is at least 6-7 plays where Diaz totally killed off the Rangers' scoring chance.

He is simply solid defensively. Sure, he gets outmuscled from time to time but so does Markov (not that I compare him to Markov, I see more of a potential Tobias Enstrom kind of player).

Chfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:55 AM
yianik

Quote:
After 2013-14, if it's a choice between the two, I bet the habs will want to keep Diaz over Markov, and so will most people on these boards. But I suspect that if Markov wants to keep playing, then he will accept a smaller deal and a smaller role for the 2014-15 season. It's hard to see the future that far ahead but I don't see Markov being any faster in a year and a half, and Diaz will still be in his prime at 29.

Let's see what the next year and a half are made of first.

Well that isn't his job at all right now. He plays 3rd most ice time on the habs atm. I don't think it will get worse.

It's hard to say how much he will be worth at the end of 2013-14... but I'd def. sign him for 3M.. not even a difficult decision.
You raise good points. I have to say Ive been thinking of the D in the traditional sense, which goes back to having your top 2 guys getting 25 minutes or so, second pairing around 20 and 3rd pairing about 15 minutes. However, we havent been playing the forward lines in the traditional sense, except for the 4th line, as we dont have a 3rd line checking line, we have really 3 top lines that we are rolling. We seem to have success doing this and it appears to make up for not having a couple of game breakering all -star kind of guys. With the D, those 2 positions give you 120 minutes a game to distribute, or 20 min. per guy. I had the approach that you have a top 4 of the guys I mentioned and that leaves Diaz as a bottom pairing player. However, yes, if the Habs are willing to pay 5 guys top 4 type money, and quite frankly for Diaz that could be more like $4M a year, then he certainly would fit in. The added bonus of course is that we would then have 3 offensive type players in Markov, PK and Diaz capable of taking on more minutes should one guy go out, so wed avoid the wheels falling off like it has in the past. Again though, we would have to accept that we will be putting alot of money into our D, probably higher than the average team and this will affect obviuosly what we can pay for the forward lines. Emelin, PK and Diaz would all be due big raises if things go as hoped in their play, but then again maybe Markov wouldnt look for as much as he is making now and importantly, Kabs will be off the books for sure after next season and that money could go to somebody like Diaz. Cubes and Weber are there but their positions allow for spots the yound prospects we have to aim for. When you have an abundance of talent at one position, which we will hopefully have on the D in the next 2 years, you can trade from strength ala the Flyers. Who knows, this type of approach to rolling lines and D might one day be called the Montreal model.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:58 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfan View Post
Did you watch the Rangers game? There is at least 6-7 plays where Diaz totally killed off the Rangers' scoring chance.

He is simply solid defensively. Sure, he gets outmuscled from time to time but so does Markov (not that I compare him to Markov, I see more of a potential Tobias Enstrom kind of player).
There was a 1 on 1 play where a ranger was coming in with speed (I think it was Stepan but not 100% sure). Diaz was able to skate backwards and keep pace, while angling his opponent to one option, which was to beat him to the outside.

Diaz managed to stick check him cleanly and go up the ice the other way. It was a real thing of beauty, and summarizes his talents. If someone knows what I'm talking about, I'd love to see a clip of it again.

That play showed tremendous mobility and smarts. Size is his limiting factor, but he does show times where can compensate for that, especially off the rush. His weakness remains playing against larger opponents on the boards, and handling aggressive forechecks, which probaly has alot to do with his size.

A bigger frame would make make him a star, but he's still a nice asset to have the way he is.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:01 AM
Andrei79

It's that shame that just in general people tend to focus on what's going on negatively on a team or a player instead of seeing how much the positives outweigh the negatives. There's a lot of talent on the team right now and Diaz is part of that group of talented players.

Andrei79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:30 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

#1 in points for a Habs d-man
#1 in +/- for a Habs d-man

doesnt matter if he's dominant or not, he gets the job done more often than not.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:29 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Who cares. And Montreal was the worst team in the Eastern Conference with Subban playing the most minutes.
That's grade A logic right here. Not to mention completely relevant with what I said.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:31 PM
charlie

vCash: 358
Love him or not. You need guys like him to win.

charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:35 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
Love him or not. You need guys like him to win.
I actually like Diaz a lot. He's an important part of our turn around. And he's 27 so his best years are ahead of him. I think most people feel the same way. I can only speak for myself but my problem is not with Diaz, it's with Diaz playing penalty kill over Subban. It doesn't really make much sense. Subban is a better penalty killer.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Andy

Diaz a defensive-liability? Wow, now I've heard it all. Just another player who will never be appreciated because he's isn't a 6'4 hitting d-man.

He's been impressive this season. I'm never worried when he's on the ice.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:46 PM
Forsead

I'm worried that he's a little bit injury prone, but now it's been 82 games of Diaz. He really has been good and he showed he was a true top-4 puck moving solid defensively defenseman in thoses two seasons. Bravo to him and to his signing (he was probably found by Christer Rockstrom).

82 games; 4 goals; 26 assists; 30 points

average icetime for the two seasons : 18:43

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:57 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Diaz was awful today. Was responsible for numerour chances, probably cost us a couple of goals, couldn't hold the line offensively numerous times, and is at least half responsible for what looks like a severe injury to Lars Eller.

That's as bad a game as it gets folks.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:58 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Diaz was awful today. Was responsible for numerour chances, probably cost us a couple of goals, couldn't hold the line offensively numerous times, and is at least half responsible for what looks like a severe injury to Lars Eller.

I'm a huge fan of his and I completely agree. No defending his atrocious play tonight. Not the composed and confident player we saw this season.

Fortunately, it can only get better than that.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:58 PM
Paris in Flames

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post

As a Leafs fan, I assure you...it could be worse.

He could be Mike Kostka.

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote