HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Conference Discussion (Realignment Approved, Detroit and Columbus Leaving)

Old
02-24-2013, 12:38 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Out of a textbook? I don't understand what you're even trying to say.

Other than CHI/DET/STL, I don't see any rivalries broken up. I don't see it as being that unbalanced either compared to last year's proposal. Hurts offense...what does that have to do with the business matters the league is dealing with? And I think the matchups are way better now that everyone plays everyone home and home. It's finally like an actual league, not 2 separate ones.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:39 AM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch22 View Post
My question is whats going to happen when Phoenix gets relocated?
Seattle will be in the same division

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:05 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:12 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

From a travel perspective, Detroit-Colorado/Dallas is slightly less than TB/FLA. So to me, none of this is about travel, it's all about TV start times.

Friggen bunk!

Old
02-24-2013, 01:25 AM
Sarava

This looks like what they had last year - only with Detroit moved east. So the eastern conference has 8 teams instead of our conference.

A few thoughts. for winning cups - this conference alignment is probably a huge win for the Hawks. They would be the only huge market team in their conference...thus the only likely consistent high spender. that would make it easier to make the final 4. But yeah, at least how the teams are composed right now - it looks boring.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:31 AM
digdug41982

The western divisions are both spread over two time zones. The eastern ones are all in the same one just like they already were. What am I missing on your theory.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:34 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
The western divisions are both spread over two time zones. The eastern ones are all in the same one just like they already were. What am I missing on your theory.
It's not a theory, it's called the facts.

Only 1 team in the central isn't from the central time zone. You can't have a mountain time division, so those 3 teams are divided up into the central and pacific divisions. And Detroit and Columbus WANTED to be in the Eastern time zone divisions, so that's where they've been placed.

This isn't hard to understand at all, dude...

Old
02-24-2013, 01:38 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post

Only 1 team in the central isn't from the central time zone. You can't have a mountain time division, so those 3 teams are divided up into the central and pacific divisions. And Detroit and Columbus WANTED to be in the Eastern time zone divisions, so that's where they've been placed.

Interesting from Columbus. When I was out there, I was told they only sell out Wings and Hawk games. They'll lose a lot of Hawk games by moving out east. I guess they would be banking on pittsburgh fans or whatever traveling there...not sure that will happen though.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:45 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Interesting from Columbus. When I was out there, I was told they only sell out Wings and Hawk games. They'll lose a lot of Hawk games by moving out east. I guess they would be banking on pittsburgh fans or whatever traveling there...not sure that will happen though.
Pittsburgh to Columbus is a hell of a lot closer than Chicago. What they lose from that they gain there. And Toronto isn't that much further from there than here is, so they gain that too. Buffalo is closer to their than Chicago as well. I could see a good amount of their fans making that drive.

But again, teams don't want to move for ticket sales, they want to move for TV. More 7-7:30 start times is better than more games starting at 8-8:30 if you're Columbus. More people watching more games = getting more committed to the team = hopefully you sell more tickets locally. But more importantly, better TV ratings = higher rights fees.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:50 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Pittsburgh to Columbus is a hell of a lot closer than Chicago. What they lose from that they gain there. And Toronto isn't that much further from there than here is, so they gain that too. Buffalo is closer to their than Chicago as well. I could see a good amount of their fans making that drive.

But again, teams don't want to move for ticket sales, they want to move for TV. More 7-7:30 start times is better than more games starting at 8-8:30 if you're Columbus. More people watching more games = getting more committed to the team = hopefully you sell more tickets locally. But more importantly, better TV ratings = higher rights fees.
Yeah I agree on the tv part. I'm not sure Pittsburgh fans will show up as much as Chicago fans though. Chicago fans travel well (usually the best or among the best) in most sports.

But you're right...having more games on in prime hours will probably generate more interest from their own local fans - which is the #1 point.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:51 AM
jaysoneil

All jokes aside, make it one conference, and just call it.. the NHL.

Everyone plays each other twice, each getting a chance to play at home. The other 24 games are either randomly selected or make it fun for us, the fans, and make them rivalry games. The top two teams at the end of the year are split on each side of the playoff bracket and so forth.

Or, play every team 3 times a year and have an 87 game season. Any way you split it up, there's going to be that one team (or teams) that doesn't like something about the agreement. It's the world we live in today.

And who's bright idea was this anyways? Bettman?

jaysoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:56 AM
digdug41982

Quote:

Where does the tv part come in? What will be different than the way it is now and what is the financial benefit to the networks that wasn't there before? You come here saying this is the only reason for this garbage alignment, well, please elaborate on that statement.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:59 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Where does the tv part come in? What will be different than the way it is now and what is the financial benefit to the networks that wasn't there before? You come here saying this is the only reason for this garbage alignment, well, please elaborate on that statement.
Unless I misunderstood him - he's not talking about the networks as much as the fans. But more fans watching = more money for networks.

The reality is - for teams in the east and central - western games suck and probably are a big downer for ratings. While us diehards will watch games that start at 9:30 (and that is 10:30 in Detroit or Columbus)...the more casual fans often will not. And it's casual fans that drive any league.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:03 AM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Geez, at least put Fla & TB in the same division as Car/Was. Isles and Columbus can play in division 2.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:13 AM
digdug41982

Yeah, it makes sense on a local level for Columbus and Detroit, obviously. Overall it kills natural rivalries and hurts the Florida teams.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:32 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Yeah, it makes sense on a local level for Columbus and Detroit, obviously. Overall it kills natural rivalries and hurts the Florida teams.
It kills DET/CHI and DET/STL, but it restores the just as natural (if not more) DET/TOR, and brings DET/MTL and DET/BOS closer to reality as well. I'm excited to see the Wings and Leafs get back at it, because that stretch of road between the two is pretty even in terms of fandom. Gonna be some loud games.

It's not perfect, but neither is the arrangement of teams right now. Chicago is the one getting the most screwed, but considering the Hawks are on 200ish game sellout streak, I doubt Rocky cares.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:48 AM
Sarava

Right and the unfortunate reality is the Hawks will be the big draw in this new conference. As bad as it looks now - imagine how bad it would be if the Hawks were moved in to an original 6 division.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:51 AM
Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
It kills DET/CHI and DET/STL, but it restores the just as natural (if not more) DET/TOR, and brings DET/MTL and DET/BOS closer to reality as well. I'm excited to see the Wings and Leafs get back at it, because that stretch of road between the two is pretty even in terms of fandom. Gonna be some loud games.
Yep..this is not to say Chicago isn't a rival but Detroit's #1 rival was always Toronto and renewing Montreal/Boston and getting out of the western time zones is icing on the cake.

It's more of a rivalry to the Blues than Detroit as well.

I think the sticking point about Western teams being afraid of losing ticket sales to Detroit remains. But at some point something has to be worked out for it to happen.

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:59 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Yep..this is not to say Chicago isn't a rival but Detroit's #1 rival was always Toronto and renewing Montreal/Boston and getting out of the western time zones is icing on the cake.

It's more of a rivalry to the Blues than Detroit as well.

I think the sticking point about Western teams being afraid of losing ticket sales to Detroit remains. But at some point something has to be worked out for it to happen.
Well, with Detroit's talent finally drying up a bit, their days as the top draw in the West would have been coming to an end soon anyway. This probably isn't the issue it would have been just 2 or 3 years ago.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:05 AM
BBH
34|38|61|10|13

Send a message via Skype™ to BBH
Why don't we just group all of the Original Six teams together and throw in Brooklyn or some **** three years down the road?!

BBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:22 AM
digdug41982

Bottom line I see this as the league making good on their assurances to Detroit and CBJ and fully tailoring it to them, which is somewhat of a surprise IMO. It's amazing for Detroit, no question. I really think they should be utilizing the Hawks better since they are the leagues most exciting and interesting selling point to the public (playing style), but they probably didn't care since that can change quickly and this is a long range plan. But back to my first point, for those two teams to get what they want, the Hawks must suffer. That division Detroit is in is just ****ing whack. I don't see why they didn't configure the eastern teams differently. No excuse for that, all same time zone. 4 major market O6 teams with two Florida teams. Looks like a recipe for disaster over the years. I wouldn't be surprised to see a team from that division moved and one of those O6 teams having a brutal history coming up.

Detroit
Toronto
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
Buffalo
Ottawa
Washington
Columbus

NYR
NYI
NJ
Boston
Montreal
Carolina
Tampa Bay
Florida

Is how I think they should have configured it under these guidelines.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:16 AM
RomersWorld*

Detroit's biggest rival is the team that hasn't been in their division for like 15 years.

It sucks that we can't pound them in the ground for the next 10 years. St Louis and Chicago are so pissed right now that Detroit is in mediocrity and getting worse and now they get to escape our grasp. With Chicago and St Louis in the same division as Detroit, they wouldn't have won a division title in at least 10 years IMO. Eh, they can enjoy their mediocrity in the Eastern conference where they won't have everyone sucking up to them because there will be more important teams than them in their conference.

I can't wait to see Detroit try to play Boston 6 times a year or whatever. They already have like 10 guys injured and the most man games lost by like twice as much...imagine them now getting their brittle bodies beat down against the Bruins and Maple Leafs of their conference. Should be a site to see. "2014-15: Datsyuk heads to KHL...wants no part of weak team with no Cup aspirations"

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:43 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Chicago v Detriot is one of the oldest rivalries in sports and they have played against each other more times then any teams in the NHL you don't mess with that for TV.

Detroit can cry about being in the west but Columbus is further east and in the west.

Easiest fix, Peg to Northwest, Minny to Central, Columbus to Southeast, BOOM!

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:57 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
It also reunites Detroit with Toronto - the two teams had an intense rivalry until Toronto was moved to the eastern conference in the late 1990s. The problem is that the Western Conference doesn't have as many intense rivalries as the Eastern Conference...Chicago will just be left with St. Louis, really...who plays an incredibly boring to watch style of hockey.

I don't really see why it hurts the Florida teams - they'll benefit from playing big market teams more. Esp. Montreal and Toronto - there are a huge number of Canadians (and esp. Quebecers) in Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Chicago v Detriot is one of the oldest rivalries in sports and they have played against each other more times then any teams in the NHL you don't mess with that for TV.

Detroit can cry about being in the west but Columbus is further east and in the west.

Easiest fix, Peg to Northwest, Minny to Central, Columbus to Southeast, BOOM!
they're proposing to move Columbus to the east.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:11 AM
Central PA Hawk Fan

Ugh, no Detroit? Do not want. Splitting up one of the best rivalries? No thanks.

Central PA Hawk Fan is offline   Reply With Quote