HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paajarvi

Old
02-24-2013, 12:16 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Yes his 2 nhl goals and 3 pts in 64 games is a testament top this . Paajarvi has showed a lot more than nino has.
I don't think you've watched Neiderreiter play before...he hands-down makes better decisions with the puck and controls the puck better than MPS.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:21 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
I don't think you've watched Neiderreiter play before...he hands-down makes better decisions with the puck and controls the puck better than MPS.
I watch Islanders all the time and lots last year and Nino was a non factor, could he end up better , maybe but its not a given .

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:24 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
I watch Islanders all the time and lots last year and Nino was a non factor, could he end up better , maybe but its not a given .
So basically he's MPS with greater NHL-viable offensive potential, and you don't like this trade?

Old
02-24-2013, 12:26 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
So basically he's MPS with greater NHL-viable offensive potential, and you don't like this trade?
This so far is not the case, I just don't get how you seem to think moving star players for struggling bigger players is the cure for this team , common sense would say this is foolish at best.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:31 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
This so far is not the case, I just don't get how you seem to think moving star players for struggling bigger players is the cure for this team , common sense would say this is foolish at best.
MPS is a star now?

Old
02-24-2013, 12:35 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
MPS is a star now?
No was reffering to Ebs and this season Gags but nice deflection. No sane gm would do the trades you propose seriously maybe Mps for Nino but don't see us doing that either Mps is much better defensively and at present time has more intangibles at the present time.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:37 AM
bleed_oil

I havent been impressed by MPS this year. He skates like the wind and has good hockey skills, but the mental game isnt there. He doesnt think offense at the NHL level. Reminds me of Mats Lindgren. Or any guy (minus Dougie Weight and Billy G) from those late 90's Oilers teams. Great wheels, but zero offensive instinct. Also it seems like he really doesnt like getting his hands dirty which means he wont do well on the 3rd or 4th line.... very, very limited player.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:40 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
No was reffering to Ebs and this season Gags but nice deflection. No sane gm would do the trades you propose seriously maybe Mps for Nino but don't see us doing that either Mpd is much better defensively and at present time has more intangibles.
What? Have you seen the title of this thread? And my posts in it? What's wrong with you?

MPS' defensive game is based purely on effort.

Look at Nino's AHL stats - he's following through on his pedigree as a big-bodied power forward (which btw take longer to develop than normal scoring wingers). He's scoring goals at a >0.5 goal/game pace, he's out-scoring MPS (Who is older than him) by a lot as the go-to offensive player on their team (which MPS never was in the AHL). He plays the game like a big man, unlike MPS who is incapable of it.

Last edited by dnicks17: 02-24-2013 at 01:14 AM.
Old
02-24-2013, 12:44 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
What? Have you seen the title of this thread? And my posts in it? What's wrong with you?

Look at Nino's AHL stats - he's following through on his pedigree as a big-bodied power forward (which btw take longer to develop than normal scoring wingers). He's scoring goals at a >0.5 goal/game pace, he's out-scoring MPS (Who is older than him) by a lot as the go-to offensive player on their team (which MPS never was in the AHL). He plays the game like a big man, unlike MPS who is incapable of it.

Again - I don't think you've ever watched Nino play hockey before. And are just spewing homerific garbage because you're offended at the concept of trading an Oiler.
Hows bridgeport doing lol MPS made semi finals last year next , and one is in the nhl right now other is not Play in ahl> than nhl

Old
02-24-2013, 12:55 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Hows bridgeport doing lol MPS made semi finals last year next , and one is in the nhl right now other is not Play in ahl> than nhl
At this point it's clear you've run out of logical arguments - so I'm going to stop trying to teach someone that can't be taught.

MPS had 20 points (only 4 goals) in 38 games this year.
Nino has 39 points (22 goals) in 49 games this year.

Not to mention he's a year younger - and playing the toughest minutes on his team with the expectation that he leads them in scoring

Old
02-24-2013, 12:57 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrastinator View Post
There is 1 problem. His offensive skills are not being developed on the 3rd line. You are wasting one of his biggest attributes.
It's not wasting his offensive abilities if the players being given those minutes (PP time, offensive zone starts, etc) are being given to players who are more likely to do something with them (RNH, Hall, Eberle, Hemsky, etc).

And if he's as good, or better, in the defensive role he's been given than the alternatives, but also brings a clue on how to create offense when given the opportunity, then I repeat...what's the problem?

I guess my point is easily broken down this way...What's more important, Paajarvi getting (x) points, or the Oilers winning games? The only people that benefit from a "change of scenery" for Paajarvi is the team that gets him and maybe Maggie himself if a new role results in more points and a bigger 2nd contract. The Oilers certainly don't get better by trading Paajarvi for picks/prospects and replacing him on the 3rd line with Petrell (or someone like that).

02-24-2013, 01:02 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
At this point it's clear you've run out of logical arguments - so I'm going to stop trying to teach someone that can't be taught.

Not to mention he's a year younger - and playing the toughest minutes on his team with the expectation that he leads them in scoring.
Mps had 15 g and 19 a 34 pts his first year in nhl Nino had 1 in 55 stats are fun

Old
02-24-2013, 01:05 AM
dnicks17

Quote:

Again - I don't think you've ever watched Nino play hockey before. And are just spewing homerific garbage because you're offended at the concept of trading an Oiler.
Nino wasn't really the go-to guy in Bridgeport. They scored by committee.

He's only put up 3 points since the lock-out ended.

He's really missing some of his linemates who are on the NHL roster now.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:08 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Nino wasn't really the go-to guy in Bridgeport. They scored by committee.

He's only put up 3 points since the lock-out ended.

He's really missing some of his linemates who are on the NHL roster now.
Paajarvi has a lot of good quality's the same type some want us to trade our core for size skill . I don't get it.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:12 AM
cpsman

Quote:

Not to mention he's a year younger - and playing the toughest minutes on his team with the expectation that he leads them in scoring.

The better NHL player is the one who actually has made an NHL roster and has been playing more consistently in the NHL.

Magnus Paajarvi - 135 GP
Nino Niederreiter - 64 GP

Not to mention Paajarvi's NHL points total versus Niederreiter's abysmal 3 points....

cpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:15 AM
dnicks17

Keep the discussion civil.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:30 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

I would tend to agree that Paajarvi is being misused if he actually capitalized on the opportunities the Oilers have already given him in the top 6 role.

We preferred him over the likes of Omark and Schremp. Two Oilers who had "skill" in abundance. MPS' greatest asset right now is his attitude and willingness to adapt and that's what makes him valuable to the Oilers. Some offensively gifted players have a bit of 2-way capabilities, but to me great 2-way players are almost always built and not born.

MPS is fine where he is. "Misused" is subjective.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:31 AM
alanschu

Quote:
hes got great speed for his size and knows how to drive the net and protect the puck at high speed. has a good shot. no one in edm is teaching him how to use his size to create time and space for himself. wasted talent of edm. trade him for a Dman and let him find his game somewhere other then on edm's 3rd line.
I have a feeling you haven't actually watched him play much the past few years, have you? He's struggled in offensive roles both in the NHL and AHL.

He's struggled offensively and is given an opportunity to continue to develop his complete game. For all intents and purposes he's playing pretty well this season. He still has plenty of time to develop his offensive game.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:56 AM
BadMedicine*

Quote:
thats my point. hes buried behind the good old boys while he prob posses more hockey sense on the entire team with the exception of rnh and eberle. hes got speed, size and a good shot. totally being misused.
Excellent analysis and I agree totally. Mps anchored the 2nd line in OKC and he has developed maturity wise faster and further than the rest of the core group, he is the only one who has managed to equal the physicality of the NHL fully, he will stay and harti will drop down and MPS is alredy challenging Jones for his spot , his defense almost balances out his lack of goal scoring but with two GWGs already this year he is evolving upwards. next year Jonesy will be in deep.

People might have missed this but MPS actually has quite a competative mean streak we havent really witnessed full blown, I have seen glimpses of an angry and flying MPS with that Techno-Viking Nordic look in his eye. He has gone after some big customers this year and won more than he has lost battlewise.

Like everyone else he plays better with Gagner, put Yakupov with those two and we have our best line balance wise, Magnuses defensive awareness size ,speed and ability to play effectively without the puck are exactly what the 2nd line needs, simply because we need to light up Nail and to do that he needs the ability to break system rules occasionally and MPS can cover his arse along with Gagner if they need to. And they can keep up with each other, with MPSs support both Sam and Nail can become snipers creating a double threat making Yakupov even more effective, Hemmer didnt bring this compound effect which we need as an adge.

We very nearly screwed Magnus up with our wishy washy moves, we are lucky he is so undeniably talented as to seriously not be denied, if he were less mature and was fragile he would have already been damaged, instead he has shown more growth and maturity than his peers, OKC was very GoodMedicine for MPS and is a testament to Nelsons skills as a coach and Magnuses extra hard work and willingness to change in the hardest area of NHL hockey to evolve in for an offensive player-- the physical side, and he is a heavyweight so its even more amazing professionalism and maturity on display. Next year and in ten years people wll call Magnus the sleeper of the crop because I actually think he is going to break out offensively exactly like Gagner did by next year if he gets the minutes. He is the biggest most physically effective and able and close to the fastest young player we have , only Nuge is more defensively aware.

Magnus is part of my core , I feel he is going to be hotly chased in trade packages for some reason. Hang on to him Oilers and keep feeding him more and more work.

BadMedicine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:20 AM
jackstar

I am loving Paajarvi's development this year. I would have to disagree with a lot of you that say he doesn't go to the front of the the net. In the last few games there have been a lot of times where he is battling in front but just is unable to get a stick in it to put it in the net. I believe as the season goes on and he pots a few of those goals a lot of you Will be changing your minds on this guy.

jackstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:22 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I still see Radek Dvorak in Paajarvi, but I also think he can be better. I think in a few years he could develop into a 20 goal top 6 guy. I'm hoping.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:35 AM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsman View Post
The better NHL player is the one who actually has made an NHL roster and has been playing more consistently in the NHL.

Magnus Paajarvi - 135 GP
Nino Niederreiter - 64 GP

Not to mention Paajarvi's NHL points total versus Niederreiter's abysmal 3 points....
Seriously?? this is your metric for measuring MPS? Playing time with the Oilers? For most of those 135 GP he has played on the worst hockey team in the NHL. (with no exagerration)
That earns him zero credibility.

I hope the best for him. I think with this skating ability and size (though he is terrified of body contact) he still has some decent value for another hockey team. I say cut the kid loose if it earns us a half decent gritty 3rd liner who can play at the NHL level.

I would be shocked if MPS ever reguarly plays NHL hockey in the top 6 of a decent hockey team.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:14 AM
Chef10

I think he has been playing with a lot more confidence in the last 10 games! his development is coming along and i see him taking the body more and using his speed very well. I think if he worked on his shot and got a sniff of the top 6 he could fit in very well, he was a bit of a raw product and they need time to develope

Chef10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:05 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

I would be intersted in seeing how many minutes he has actually played in the Oiler top 6. The number of shifts he had in the top 6 last season could probably be counted on one hand.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:51 AM
Everest

If anything....we should be getting re-excited about Magnus. Focus around him tapered off in the last 12-16 months because he wasn't a prominent point getter in either the NHL or even the AHL...but...in the last few games he has been playing & contributing so comfortably that I think he is for sure a full time NHLer at this point.

It really looks like we've seen the last of 91 going down to OKC, IMO.

He was around a half dozen quality chances yesterday and he wasn't "missing" those chances because of a lack of skill. He was "missing" on chances that all players sometimes miss on but they will go in. Its just a matter of time.

I really liked his game. His speed was always a factor. His size is now starting to help, too.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote