HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Thornton Vs. Benn

Old
02-24-2013, 01:35 AM
RomersWorld*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
Thornton knew Benn could handle a real fight. Thornton didn't want to break Toews' face into pieces, which I am certain he could have if he had wanted. Anyway, I love this Benn kid. I'd give the edge to Thornton, but I give Benn props for fighting Jumbo Joe because I think it really changed the pace of the game, which had been kind of slow to that point. I love seeing these legitimate (non-staged) fights between two players that matter as opposed to watching two useless goons feeding each other fists as a sideshow.
Maybe if Thornton did break Toews' face into pieces than he would've given his team more energy. Instead, the Hawks were inspired and killed off the 4 minute PP that the Sharks had, while getting the best scoring chance of the PP. 3 minutes went by and then the Hawks drew a penalty and score 4 on 4 about 15 seconds later. Say what you will about Toews getting handled, but he clearly woke up the Hawks and the went on to win that game. If Thornton did more damage in the fight then maybe his team would've had more emotion and done something on the PP. Just saying. His team also lost tonight despite his fight.

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:40 AM
Leidi J

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Maybe if Thornton did break Toews' face into pieces than he would've given his team more energy. Instead, the Hawks were inspired and killed off the 4 minute PP that the Sharks had, while getting the best scoring chance of the PP. 3 minutes went by and then the Hawks drew a penalty and score 4 on 4 about 15 seconds later. Say what you will about Toews getting handled, but he clearly woke up the Hawks and the went on to win that game. If Thornton did more damage in the fight then maybe his team would've had more emotion and done something on the PP. Just saying. His team also lost tonight despite his fight.
what's done is done. why does every thread here have to be about the hawks? we get it, you've won a lot. no one cares.

this thread is about tonight's fight. do you have anything to say about that perhaps? there's a reason the Thornton/Toews thread got closed.

As for tonight, if you're implying that the Sharks loss tonight has anything to do with Thornton fighting, one way or the other... you haven't been watching the sharks much. which is fine, why would you? but Thornton is not the sharks' issue right now.

Back on subject, it was a great fight. One of the more entertaining ones i've seen recently.

Leidi J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:44 AM
StalockSuperfan

Fantastic scrap. Best one I've seen in a long time. I had no idea Benn was such a tough kid.

StalockSuperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:43 AM
sup bro*

to the guys saying "benn didn't land anything" are you blind? Benn clocked him with a jab on the first punch of the fight

sup bro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:51 AM
SHAR KS
Choking Hazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Did you copy and paste this post? I think i remember you posting the exact same thing in the Thornton vs Toews thread.

Anyways that was a great fight. Thornton got him pretty good at the end there.

SHAR KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:24 AM
kilgro
Thank you Burke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StalockSuperfan View Post
Fantastic scrap. Best one I've seen in a long time. I had no idea Benn was such a tough kid.
He's a ****ing beauty. Go watch his scrap with Iginla, toe-to-toe. One of my favourites for sure.

kilgro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:43 AM
Dominic Roussel
Adios HF

vCash: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by StalockSuperfan View Post
Yea, he definitely doesn't go for the softer guys when it comes to fights. I'm always torn when he fights. Half of me is terrified he's gonna hurt himself, the other half of me is just giddy watching the fight.

It's nice to see a great player on this team who knows when to fight and when not to.

Dominic Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:18 AM
Epoch

Awesome scrap.

Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:05 PM
eeddieedwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
I thought it was a clear win for Thornton. Benn made a good show of it, but Thornton was the constant aggressor, threw and landed more punches, and got the takedown at the end.
Not singling you out, but I really don't get how all these UFC-style fans think this is a positive in hockey fights. I wish people would stop even mentioning it.

If you had to compare hockey fighting to one of the pugilistic sports, would it be wrestling, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, judo?

Sorry folks, but fighting in hockey pre-dates UFC. I equate praising a hockey fighter for getting a take down with saying "Floyd Mayweather won that last round with a great takedown". It's a punch-up last time I checked, although I've heard that Parros has really been working on his rear naked triangles.

eeddieedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:15 PM
tacogeoff

vCash: 460
Great tilt!

tacogeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:27 PM
Leidi J

awesome.

Leidi J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:10 PM
tacogeoff

vCash: 460
And that's a headache

tacogeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Clowe Me

Benn saw it coming, but took it like a champ.

Both players were great after that tilt. Benn got the Gordie Howe and Thornton would have had 2 assists if not for a terrible GI call.

Last edited by Clowe Me: 02-24-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:14 PM
Trognitz

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeddieedwards View Post
Not singling you out, but I really don't get how all these UFC-style fans think this is a positive in hockey fights. I wish people would stop even mentioning it.

If you had to compare hockey fighting to one of the pugilistic sports, would it be wrestling, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, judo?

Sorry folks, but fighting in hockey pre-dates UFC. I equate praising a hockey fighter for getting a take down with saying "Floyd Mayweather won that last round with a great takedown". It's a punch-up last time I checked, although I've heard that Parros has really been working on his rear naked triangles.
killer stuff.

Trognitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:20 AM
aemoreira1981

Give this to Thornton for dropping Benn---this was one of the better fights this season given that both are Top 6 forwards who play physical games.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:35 PM
spacemunky

Great scrap. Thumbs up to both Benn and Joe

spacemunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:00 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

cyris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:39 PM
Benched

Absolutely awesome fight, especially how it started. This is what I love about hockey: got a problem with a guy, settle it right there, gain mutual respect.

Awesome.

Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:13 AM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeddieedwards View Post

Yup

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote