HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pit-Dal Ryder

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-24-2013, 02:06 AM
  #101
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 14,647
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
A quick search for last year's number shows Eriksson & Benn a lot. The guy scored under 20 goals his last 2yrs with Boston, they were a deep team too. He had a great year last year, this year, he's come back down.

I'm not a homer, perhaps you are thinking his value is greater than it is. Honesty hurts sometimes. I don't think you understand the definition of homer. What bothers you? The fact that we are well informed about our GM's trading habits? The fact that Shero gave up Caputi + Skoula for Ponikarovksy, who was more consistent of a player than Ryder was when the Pens traded for him and is not a bad basis for comparison?

What bothers you exactly? Because the logic I am bringing to you, clearly seems to bother you Stars fans. I don't get it. As a Pens fan, I say no thanks to Ryder and yet this bothers you all.
Ponikarovsky was consistently scoring less than Ryder.

Poni's previous 4 complete seasons prior to trade:

21 goals
21
18
23
(19 in 61 games w/Toronto + a whopping 2 in 16 games with Pittsburgh)


Ryder's previous 4 complete seasons:

27
18
18
35
(6 in 18 games this season...27 goal pace over 82 games)


Ryder's down years recently were in line with Ponikarovsky's average years. Also, he played some with Benn last year but he also played quite a bit with Ribeiro. I'm not even sure what your point about linemates is supposed to mean in this scenario as I'm pretty sure the entire world would say that Malkin and Crosby are better than Benn and Ribeiro. Are you expecting to see a dip in scoring if he doesn't get to play with Benn?

FWIW, Ryder really hasn't had any amount of consistency where linemates are concerned this season. He's played with everyone from Roy to Eakin to Fiddler from time to time.

In any case, nobody said the Pens are the only possible destination. We're aware what your GM typically gives up in deadline deals. We're also aware of what the market is for players like Ryder come trade deadline. I hope Nieuwendyk doesn't put the blinders on and opens himself up to other possibilities.

glovesave_35 is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 02:10 AM
  #102
Honour Over Glory
Registered User
 
Honour Over Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 9,258
vCash: 500
Then keep the guy.

Penguins don't want him.


This seems to be a foreign concept. For what you think Ryder is worth and what the Pens have to give up to get him according to you guys, not realistic value I mean, the Pens could get something better.

Honour Over Glory is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 02:24 AM
  #103
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 14,647
vCash: 250
No need to get your panties in a bunch. I, and other Stars fans, have said repeatedly that there's no reason he has to go to the Pens. Still, you can at least attempt to leave your disingenuous "facts" out of the discussion. Calling his stats from last year padded due to linemates is just silly and ill-informed.

You really want to know how to get 30+ goals out of Ryder? Play him more than 14-15 freaking minutes a night with good NHL players. It's not rocket science.

glovesave_35 is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 02:31 AM
  #104
Dangles78
Registered User
 
Dangles78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 719
vCash: 500
This thread made me happy until the last couple of pages.

It seems like Dallas fans (or maybe the majority I've encountered) understand not only their team/players/situation, but also understand the Penguins organization as well (players, situation, needs, Shero, prospects, etc.) which makes me want to discuss further in this land of make believe lol.

Minnesota and Dallas fans...I like you...can we continue discussions?

Dangles78 is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 02:32 AM
  #105
Honour Over Glory
Registered User
 
Honour Over Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 9,258
vCash: 500
I want nothing to do with Ryder to the Penguins, that's all there is to it. Panties in a bunch? Very mature.

He is a complimentary winger, he's a guy that disappears if his linemates aren't creating space for him, not a guy going out there and creating the space himself. You seem to think we folks that watch the East, have no clue about Michael Ryder a guy that has spent 95% of his career, guess where....

In the Eastern conference with Montreal & Boston. I know exactly what kind of player he is, you have him for a year and a half and suddenly you're Andy Sutton.

Honour Over Glory is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 02:34 AM
  #106
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
 
hairylikebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,954
vCash: 500
Ryder has 60 more goals than Ponikarovsky in 100 fewer games. Where's the comparison exactly?

hairylikebear is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 02:49 AM
  #107
domaug*
Flahr Pahr
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Archbald, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
Ryder has 60 more goals than Ponikarovsky in 100 fewer games. Where's the comparison exactly?
i can't speak for Honour Over Glory, but here are some reasons why i wouldn't trade for Ryder (they all go hand-in-hand for this player, too, so each individual point wouldn't necessarily stand for any other player available as far as i'm concerned):

--impending UFA
--expensive contract (i know the UFA thing weakens that point a bit, but still)
--trading on a "what-if" basis (like "if he played with Crosby, yada yada yada")
--cost likely too high for the Pens' comfort zone
--better options are available for similar or lower cost

some of those above points could be applied to the Ponikarovski trade in hindsight, but hindsight is always 20-20

domaug* is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 02:50 AM
  #108
Riptide
Moderator
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
No need to get your panties in a bunch. I, and other Stars fans, have said repeatedly that there's no reason he has to go to the Pens. Still, you can at least attempt to leave your disingenuous "facts" out of the discussion. Calling his stats from last year padded due to linemates is just silly and ill-informed.

You really want to know how to get 30+ goals out of Ryder? Play him more than 14-15 freaking minutes a night with good NHL players. It's not rocket science.
He's averaging 16:26 this year. Was 17:22 last year. Was consistently under 15:20 min in Boston. Clearly icetime doesn't seem to be the issue with him not consistently producing.

__________________
"It’s not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, it’s as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 03:05 AM
  #109
Riptide
Moderator
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,433
vCash: 500
As for the comparisons to Poni.... while it's an interesting comparison, I don't think it's quite accurate. I think most recognize that Poni (much like TK the other year when Sid and Geno were out) simply produced because he was playing top line minutes on a weak team. But it does show that not everyone who puts up a few numbers fetches a huge return.

So while I do believe that Ryder will fetch at least a 2nd and a prospect, I don't think it'll be much more than a mid level prospect, the main part of the return would be the 2nd. I don't see someone giving up a 1st in this draft for Ryder.

Look at the last few trade deadlines. Other than Hossa & Kovy (stars) and Gausted (crazy trade), when was the last 1st rounder moved? Penner for a 1st and prospect in 10/11. The next time it happened? 2006/07 in 2 trades - Bill Guerin and Ryan Smyth. Both of whom were stars at the time. My point is most GMs are not freely handing out 1sts for inconsistent 2nd line wingers.

Riptide is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 08:46 AM
  #110
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 14,647
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
I want nothing to do with Ryder to the Penguins, that's all there is to it. Panties in a bunch? Very mature.

He is a complimentary winger, he's a guy that disappears if his linemates aren't creating space for him, not a guy going out there and creating the space himself. You seem to think we folks that watch the East, have no clue about Michael Ryder a guy that has spent 95% of his career, guess where....

In the Eastern conference with Montreal & Boston. I know exactly what kind of player he is, you have him for a year and a half and suddenly you're Andy Sutton.
You're inferring a ton about how we view the player and how we view your understanding of the player.

He disappears if his linemates aren't creating space...are you worried your all-world centers can't provide that space?

You've been quite the example of maturity in this thread. I do apologize greatly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
i can't speak for Honour Over Glory, but here are some reasons why i wouldn't trade for Ryder (they all go hand-in-hand for this player, too, so each individual point wouldn't necessarily stand for any other player available as far as i'm concerned):

--impending UFA
--expensive contract (i know the UFA thing weakens that point a bit, but still)
--trading on a "what-if" basis (like "if he played with Crosby, yada yada yada")
--cost likely too high for the Pens' comfort zone
--better options are available for similar or lower cost

some of those above points could be applied to the Ponikarovski trade in hindsight, but hindsight is always 20-20
--Impending UFA...those are generally the most available type of player at the deadline every season. This year is no different.

--His contract is in line with his production, but if you're saying your team actually can't fit his contract then I understand. I would just add that IF (I don't know that Pittsburgh actually is in the market for a winger) the Pens are looking to add firepower at the wing position then you're going to be hard-pressed to find a guy available for a cheaper price tag contract-wise.

--Not really sure what you mean about a "what if" basis. Ryder scored 5 of his 6 goals while playing with rookie phenom Cody Eakin. Assuming (hoping?) Malkin gets over his head issues Ryder would be playing with more talent in Pittsburgh than he has been in Dallas.

--Cost too high, completely understand.

--I'm curious what other options you would put forth.

Edit: Btw, thanks for discussing this rationally. It's much appreciated.


Last edited by glovesave_35: 02-24-2013 at 08:56 AM.
glovesave_35 is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 08:55 AM
  #111
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 14,647
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
He's averaging 16:26 this year. Was 17:22 last year. Was consistently under 15:20 min in Boston. Clearly icetime doesn't seem to be the issue with him not consistently producing.
He played 281 more total minutes and 53 more minutes on the PP last year than the season prior. I'm not sure how those are insignificant totals.

glovesave_35 is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 08:56 AM
  #112
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!
 
TorstenFrings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
--Not really sure what you mean about a "what if" basis. Ryder scored 5 of his 6 goals while playing with rookie phenom Cody Eakin. Assuming (hoping?) Malkin gets over his head issues Ryder would be playing with more talent in Pittsburgh than he has been in Dallas.
Guess, what he means is, that this "but player xy would do so well playing with Malkin/Crosby" comes up every time and that really adds nothing to his trade value at all. Why does Pittsburgh having better center depth than Dallas have any effect on the return you would expect for Ryder?

Besides, we already have players that can feed off of Crosby well. Look at were Dupuis and Kunitz are in scoring lists this so far. We need some who are a thread of their own now to improve.

TorstenFrings is online now  
Old
02-24-2013, 09:08 AM
  #113
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!
 
Tender Rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 12,285
vCash: 500
Ryder is a fine player. Don't quite know if he brings the package we would really desire though. More like an option, if we wanted to get two top 6 wingers around deadline time.

1st round pick... Too rich. But maybe Ryder and third/fourth for Maatta, if Dallas are out of it and wants a very good D prospect. We have too many to utilize them all anyway.

Tender Rip is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 09:16 AM
  #114
Satan
why did she go
 
Satan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: exchange
Country: Germany
Posts: 37,525
vCash: 50
Ryder for a 5th

Satan is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 09:32 AM
  #115
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,174
vCash: 500
I think 2nd + Blueger is probably a pretty fair offer for Ryder, if Dallas want a cheap, young potential 3rd line centre then maybe Jeffrey would be interested.

wej20 is online now  
Old
02-24-2013, 09:36 AM
  #116
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 14,647
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
Guess, what he means is, that this "but player xy would do so well playing with Malkin/Crosby" comes up every time and that really adds nothing to his trade value at all. Why does Pittsburgh having better center depth than Dallas have any effect on the return you would expect for Ryder?

Besides, we already have players that can feed off of Crosby well. Look at were Dupuis and Kunitz are in scoring lists this so far. We need some who are a thread of their own now to improve.
I didn't realize Pittsburgh was looking for scoring from the 3rd line.

glovesave_35 is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 09:46 AM
  #117
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,174
vCash: 500
In an ideal world Dupuis plays on the 3rd line (instead of Kennedy who has struggled without Staal) but I don't think Pens will acquire two wingers and Dupuis works extremely well with Crosby even if he generates most of his offense by sheer force of will.

wej20 is online now  
Old
02-24-2013, 09:51 AM
  #118
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!
 
TorstenFrings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I didn't realize Pittsburgh was looking for scoring from the 3rd line.
Kind of an odd non sequitur, but who doesn't look for scoring from the 3rd line.

TorstenFrings is online now  
Old
02-24-2013, 10:18 AM
  #119
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.
 
Dying Alive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Ireland
Posts: 6,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
i understand time heals a lot of grudges, especially over pro sports, but the "dying alive" garbage still stings
The dying alive stuff was, IMO and IIRC, mostly media created ********. They kept hammering away at the guy until he gave him a soundbite that was kind of suspect and fairly out of context and used it to crucify him. If I had to guess I'd wager that most of the people who boo Jagr for the dying alive comments weren't even around to hear them when they were said. They've just taken on kind of an urban legend status among the Pens fanbase that gets passed down through the ages. And yes, I realize the irony of this coming from someone with my particular username, I just think the phrase is hilarious.

That said, Jagr did burn a lot of bridges this last time. I think that's partially on him and partially on the fans who just assumed that he'd be coming back, but there's no question it could have been handled better & it left a sour taste in a lot of mouths from the top of the organization right down through the fans. The fact that Shero withdrew the offer before the deadline even came & went tells you something.

tl;dr version: I don't think they'd be interested in trading for Jagr & I don't think he'll ever play here again. They may give him a 1 day contract when he retires & let him retire a Penguin and hang his number. Depends on how things truly are between him and Mario.

Dying Alive is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 08:27 PM
  #120
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 14,647
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
Kind of an odd non sequitur, but who doesn't look for scoring from the 3rd line.
Touché. I guess when I see a gazillion threads over the last few years about sending a scoring winger to Pittsburgh I didn't think they were looking for wingers for J. Staal/Brandon Sutter.

glovesave_35 is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 08:46 PM
  #121
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!
 
TorstenFrings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Touché. I guess when I see a gazillion threads over the last few years about sending a scoring winger to Pittsburgh I didn't think they were looking for wingers for J. Staal/Brandon Sutter.
, it doesn't really matter which center he ends up playing with, what I am saying is, that we are looking for the kind of guy who would be a thread with J. Staal/Brandon Sutter.

TorstenFrings is online now  
Old
02-24-2013, 09:56 PM
  #122
Rune Forumwalker
Registered User
 
Rune Forumwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
A 2nd + a prospect sounds fine, when it's a faceless, nameless prospect. It's when names pop up that it gets a bit tougher.
Then what would be some suggestions to make that prospect not faceless and nameless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
The guy scored under 20 goals his last 2yrs with Boston, they were a deep team too. He had a great year last year, this year, he's come back down.
Ryder was playing 3rd line minutes in Boston, and first line minutes here last year. That's a big difference and is the reason for the discrepancy in his numbers those two seasons.

Rune Forumwalker is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 02:40 AM
  #123
drizzydrew22*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 83
vCash: 500
bad trade for the pens... Ryder is an inconsistent player, giving a 2nd round pick and a B level prospect? uhh no be real, i would throw a 3rd round pick only because his contract is up after the season and pittsburgh prolly wouldnt want to re-sign him anyway considering Iginla and Perry will hit the market. but i would throw in a guy like Dumoulin bc he has the potential to be a good shut down guy at 6'3" 220 lbs. and dallas needs defenseman.

drizzydrew22* is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 02:50 AM
  #124
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 14,647
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
, it doesn't really matter which center he ends up playing with, what I am saying is, that we are looking for the kind of guy who would be a thread with J. Staal/Brandon Sutter.
Gotcha, in that case Ryder isn't your man at any price.

glovesave_35 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 06:20 PM
  #125
gdsmack267
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,296
vCash: 500
Thanks for ruining my proposal Montreal. Ya jerks!

gdsmack267 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.