HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dany Heatley...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-22-2013, 01:48 PM
  #101
DeuceMN
Really?
 
DeuceMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chi-Town, Il
Country: United States
Posts: 2,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
I really don't know where Heatley fits on this team right now. He's just soo slow, turns the puck over a lot, and can't break the puck out of the defensive zone.
I don't mind Heatley, but I agree with this.

I feel the same way about Butch.

We need different pieces and they need new homes.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:44 PM
  #102
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
I really don't know where Heatley fits on this team right now. He's just soo slow, turns the puck over a lot, and can't break the puck out of the defensive zone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
I don't mind Heatley, but I agree with this.

I feel the same way about Butch.

We need different pieces and they need new homes.
Agreed.

Heatley's great in the offensive zone, just a disaster everywhere else. Butch looks lost lately, falling into that old perimeter play.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:26 PM
  #103
MNWILDFAN001
Registered User
 
MNWILDFAN001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Agreed.

Heatley's great in the offensive zone , just a disaster everywhere else. Butch looks lost lately, falling into that old perimeter play.
I wouldn't say great. He gets in front of the net and waits for Parise and Koivu to get him the puck. That's about it. He doesn't win puck battles. He loses ever foot race to a loose puck.
I sometimes feel bad for Parise. He has a winger too slow to help on the forecheck or recover any loose pucks.

MNWILDFAN001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:32 PM
  #104
Beegoalie
Registered User
 
Beegoalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pominville Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,064
vCash: 500
Hes still hands down the best option we have for that top line when it comes to producing. And he should stay there until Coyle or someone shows otherwise.

Look at the chances he has been getting since being back on that line. He produces and is a big part of the team offensively. Move him and he's done.

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:08 PM
  #105
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,866
vCash: 500
fairly sure Heatley is supposed to be standing in front of the net waiting for shot opportunities. the idea behind that line is Parise and Koivu are great two-way players with enough skill to move the puck around by themselves.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:17 PM
  #106
MNWILDFAN001
Registered User
 
MNWILDFAN001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
Hes still hands down the best option we have for that top line when it comes to producing. And he should stay there until Coyle or someone shows otherwise.

Look at the chances he has been getting since being back on that line. He produces and is a big part of the team offensively. Move him and he's done.
That is true. I liked how Coyle did when he was up here. I thought he did well the things I criticize Heatley for, getting in on the forecheck and winning puck battles. Just lacked the finishing touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
fairly sure Heatley is supposed to be standing in front of the net waiting for shot opportunities. the idea behind that line is Parise and Koivu are great two-way players with enough skill to move the puck around by themselves.
Part of his job is to get in a scoring position. It's easy to cover someone that is just standing there. You need to get involved with the play. Sometimes help out in corners, win puck battles, recover loose pucks, get in on the forecheck so we don't have one man(Parise) putting pressure on 2 defensemen.
I am not saying Heatley is useless, but he is kind of a one-trick pony. And if we had someone with more of those other abilities that mentioned, then that 1st line would be even better. I think if Coyle develops a better scoring touch, he could be a good fit up there.

MNWILDFAN001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:37 PM
  #107
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNWILDFAN001 View Post
That is true. I liked how Coyle did when he was up here. I thought he did well the things I criticize Heatley for, getting in on the forecheck and winning puck battles. Just lacked the finishing touch.


Part of his job is to get in a scoring position. It's easy to cover someone that is just standing there. You need to get involved with the play. Sometimes help out in corners, win puck battles, recover loose pucks, get in on the forecheck so we don't have one man(Parise) putting pressure on 2 defensemen.
I am not saying Heatley is useless, but he is kind of a one-trick pony. And if we had someone with more of those other abilities that mentioned, then that 1st line would be even better. I think if Coyle develops a better scoring touch, he could be a good fit up there.
he's in a "scoring position" more often than anyone else. it may not look good to people because he's often tied up with defenders but he's where he is supposed to be, and gets enough shots off despite the attention. There is no chance in hell Coyle would be the threat Heatley is on that line. If you had someone with Heatley's shot + all those other things you'd have Heatley in his prime, and you aren't going to find one of those laying around anywhere. nor do we have one in the system, unfortunately.

Imagine if defenders left Heatley alone as consistently as we leave other teams' forwards un-touched. he'd have a million points! be careful not to look at how guys from other teams look like they're getting constant "good" shots off and blaming heatley for not getting them off as cleanly; it's more a symptom of our passive defense than any relative skill disparity between their shooters and Heatley.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:42 AM
  #108
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,506
vCash: 500
So who wants to buyout Heatley at the end of the season?

*raises hand*

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:52 AM
  #109
Gaps
Registered User
 
Gaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
So who wants to buyout Heatley at the end of the season?

*raises hand*
Who's going to score his goals? I don't like him in the top line any more than you do, but unless we have a guy who can produce like he does (or better), buying him out is not an option.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:07 AM
  #110
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
Who's going to score his goals? I don't like him in the top line any more than you do, but unless we have a guy who can produce like he does (or better), buying him out is not an option.
Buying him out frees up $7.5 million in cap space, not to mention the other $13 million that will be gone assuming we don't re-sign Backstrom, Bouchard, and Cullen. That's over $20 million to go out and get a solid free agent right wing (Horton, Perry, Semin are the big ones). Maybe down to about $15-17 million with Clutter and Spurgeon's likely pay raises. Not to mention there's always the trade route. Maybe we could even trade Heater himself and get something for him instead of buying him out. And is it too hard to believe that maybe Coyle could possibly be ready for a 1st line role next year? He hasn't looked great so far but he certainly hasn't looked completely out of place either. Basically what I'm saying is that there's plenty of ways to replace what Heater brings to the team.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:11 AM
  #111
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner
 
Blizzard6411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 1,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
Who's going to score his goals? I don't like him in the top line any more than you do, but unless we have a guy who can produce like he does (or better), buying him out is not an option.
One goal in his past 12 games? I don't think it will be to damn difficult to replace that.

Blizzard6411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:49 AM
  #112
Ladde
Registered User
 
Ladde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 793
vCash: 500
Heatley is absolutely useless now. In a 82 game season I could see him score 20 goals on the 1st line.

Ladde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:51 AM
  #113
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner
 
Blizzard6411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 1,509
vCash: 500
Maybe Dany can coach? He damn sure has spent enough time watching this team up close.

Blizzard6411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:57 AM
  #114
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
Maybe Dany can coach? He damn sure has spent enough time watching this team up close.
Considering how good he is at standing around and watching others, I agree.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:31 AM
  #115
Gaps
Registered User
 
Gaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
One goal in his past 12 games? I don't think it will be to damn difficult to replace that.
That's still just 12 games. In a shortened season it's a significant fraction of the games, but still. I do question Heatley's conditioning and what the hell he was actually up to during the lockout, but he could bounce back next season. Not to mention that the organization seems to love him, which makes it unlikely for him to be bought out or traded.

Quote:
Buying him out frees up $7.5 million in cap space, not to mention the other $13 million that will be gone assuming we don't re-sign Backstrom, Bouchard, and Cullen. That's over $20 million to go out and get a solid free agent right wing (Horton, Perry, Semin are the big ones). Maybe down to about $15-17 million with Clutter and Spurgeon's likely pay raises. Not to mention there's always the trade route. Maybe we could even trade Heater himself and get something for him instead of buying him out. And is it too hard to believe that maybe Coyle could possibly be ready for a 1st line role next year? He hasn't looked great so far but he certainly hasn't looked completely out of place either. Basically what I'm saying is that there's plenty of ways to replace what Heater brings to the team.
I think we may have to use the buy-out on Harding, as sad as it is. That means Bäckström would be re-signed. But the other two will probably walk, like you said.

I'd imagine Heatley's trade value is far from high right now, so if anything, we could probably get a decent prospect, but not a winger upgrade. Unless he goes in a package deal. But he has a NMC, which makes things even more complicated.

Coyle may or may not be ready next year, but is he going to produce 30 goals? I doubt it. Eventually maybe, but next year may be too early.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:04 AM
  #116
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,113
vCash: 500
I'd try and trade Heatley and hold back salary. Maybe buy out Harding unless he's just going on LTIR. Coyle can play on the top line, or Granlund, or Seto, or pretty much anyone else.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:51 AM
  #117
hokijanari
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 113
vCash: 500
In my mind Heatley just doesn't have the passion for the game. Watch the Becoming Wild episode of him if you haven't. Then compare to Koivu or Parise. Pathetic that those guys get paid roughly the same.

hokijanari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:15 PM
  #118
TwInS1095
Registered User
 
TwInS1095's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 2,225
vCash: 500
Heatley is not the problem. My camp has been pretty barren, but Heatley is not the problem.

TwInS1095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:16 PM
  #119
Sportsfan1
Registered User
 
Sportsfan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,897
vCash: 500
As his skills and speed diminish and as much as he can disappear at times..... the guy can still shoot.

Sportsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:20 AM
  #120
Sportserie
Registered User
 
Sportserie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 2,860
vCash: 500
No doubt about it he can still shoot. I actually don't give a crap if he even skates anymore as long as he has more games like last night. He is deadly in the shooting positions he was in last night. He needs linemates who can feed him and there you go.

Sportserie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:27 AM
  #121
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,113
vCash: 500
I like when Greenlay caught himself mid sentence, saying something like "the shot is still there..." and probably would have talked about the diminishing everything else

He had a great game last night. He can still be effective in bursts. I wonder if he'd improve enough to get some trade value?

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:41 AM
  #122
DANOZ28
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,484
vCash: 500
heatr may be slow but he rarely gets knocked off his feet, he's got a HULLUVA shot, and i think a terrific work ethic. his cap hit is high but he didnt cost us any prospects to acquire. (see leddy). after a 26G season w SJ we knew we werent getting a 50G scorer, but hes still a capable sniper. im glad hes on the team.

DANOZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:25 AM
  #123
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,866
vCash: 500
real dollars he's getting paid what this year? $5m? $6m? So far it seems his point-per-dollar value is as good as Parise and Koivu despite playing 2 minutes less a night.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:41 AM
  #124
nickschultzfan
Registered User
 
nickschultzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,095
vCash: 500
Good game from Heatley, but he should still play on the 3rd line with limited minutes.

nickschultzfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:35 AM
  #125
MN_Gopher
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mpls
Posts: 3,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Good game from Heatley, but he should still play on the 3rd line with limited minutes.
I agree even strength.

First line PP time though.

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.