HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What about Gionta?

Old
02-22-2013, 05:11 PM
SouthernHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Buyout... really?!

It sure was a bad game for Gionta but we are 1st in the East and Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta played a major role.

I like the mix and depth of players upfront, I like the coaches and GM and Price is... Price. The only major hole I see is a tough and big top 4 D... but I am willing to wait for Tinordi!

2012-13:

3. Tinordi - Diaz
Bouillon as the #7D.
I just want to be on the record as stating that you are probably the most rational and knowledgeable poster on this board.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:21 PM
habtastic

As frustrated as I was with him being on the 4 on 3 (and I've been defending Gio in this thread), he did do many good things and kept it simple as well as a hard fore/backcheck. I watched everything he did very very closely due to this recent bashing. There were times when I understood that people were annoyed with the typical slapshot/wristshot from the circles. At the same time, those used to go in, believe it or not (past 3 seasons). He retrieved the puck more often than not and made some solid D plays. If Patch had finished the hat trick by just tapping it in the right direction (cannot believe that miss after such strong finishing on the two goals prior), game would likely have been won there and everyone would be...relieved. Just saying, everyone has been missing the "easy" ones and tbh, Bourque has been playing great, but I've not really seen a tape to tape pass from him to Gio. They both sort of throw it at the net hoping for something good like a tip or jumping on a rebound from the other. It also just seems like Pleks feels more comfortable with Gio.

Anyway, I didn't think he had a horrible game by any means. Could have been better, but he's definitely not the reason we lost. (Apart from the absence of PK or Eller if you need a fwd on the 4 on 3 with the game on the line.) I think with Gio you just have to accept that he's not going to be flashy and will abide by the KISS rule, with some clutch GWGs coming up. Book it.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:10 PM
Kjell Dahlin

@SouthernHab... you are drunk... go home!

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:42 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

I'm in Sri Lanka... How did he play last game?

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:44 AM
DAChampion

Whiskey,

You're in my head.

When I hear "Gionta shoots... high and wide" I think of you.

***** :-)

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:32 PM
Hullois

This is painful, Gionta is so bad

Hullois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:33 PM
LeHab

Send to gulags.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:37 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Whiskey,

You're in my head.

When I hear "Gionta shoots... high and wide" I think of you.

***** :-)
you can say that again

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:12 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
He's simply lost his scouring touch in my eyes. His shot has lost its power and its accuracy. Which makes him a pretty useless offensive player.

Not too many NHLers have had a torn bicep, so it's hard to fully know if loss of strength in your wrist, even over a year after the surgery is done, is normal. But I suspect it's the case. Especially since it was on his right arm, which is his shooting hand.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:15 PM
JohnLennon

Honestly, I think Gionta has been pretty decent recently. His line with Plekanec and Bourque is pretty damn good, and he is passing well. Just because he messed up his attempt in the shootout, doesn't mean we should trade him.

I think he fits well on the Habs. Sure, he is a little overpaid for what he brings to the team at this point, but he is a great guy in the dressing room, a good humble leader, and has always had a knack for scoring goals and making plays happen with Plekanec. I like him. Hopefully he steps it up another notch as the season goes on.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:15 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
So other than taking him of the PP, which needed to be done a long time ago, what can we actually do about Gionta? Cuz I'm sick of him being useless. Surely he can play decent enough D, but if he's not producing can we trade him? It's looking more and more like we're stuck with him and his declining performance. I'll give him credit for his effort, but that becomes irrelevant when you play that poorly for an entire season.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:25 AM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
Honestly, I think Gionta has been pretty decent recently. His line with Plekanec and Bourque is pretty damn good, and he is passing well. Just because he messed up his attempt in the shootout, doesn't mean we should trade him.

I think he fits well on the Habs. Sure, he is a little overpaid for what he brings to the team at this point, but he is a great guy in the dressing room, a good humble leader, and has always had a knack for scoring goals and making plays happen with Plekanec. I like him. Hopefully he steps it up another notch as the season goes on.
You got to be kidding It's not just because he missed a shootout.

Every time Plek-prust/bourque/d-man start something in the offensive zone, when the puck go near Gionta, everything go to $hit.

The guy can't win battle against the boards, can stand in front of the net, not a good play maker, have a poor shooting, keep aiming the ****** chest when he shot the puck from the slot only thing he is good at is dumping the puck or giving turnover to the other team.

The fact that he can't even take a shot on a shootout just add to the insult.

Maelpj* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:01 AM
Demon Wolf

Seems to me some people has a personal vendetta towards Gionta. He was injured much of last season, and were the Habs leading scorer in both years before that. He plays a good defensive game, him and Plekanec shuts down the opposing team's best players night after night.

Yeah he's in an offensive slump, gripping his stick a bit too hard, missing chances... it happens. Many of you are just waiting for him to mess something up so you can go "Ha, see, that always happens!", conveniently ignoring the good things that he has done and still do on a nightly basis.

Demon Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:27 AM
Jack DiBiase
wrist-oh-lie-nun

This fanbase is so awesome.

The team being last in the conference: FIRE EVERYONE!

The team being first in the conference: FIRE EVERYONE!

Jack DiBiase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:28 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellerEller View Post
So other than taking him of the PP, which needed to be done a long time ago, what can we actually do about Gionta? Cuz I'm sick of him being useless. Surely he can play decent enough D, but if he's not producing can we trade him? It's looking more and more like we're stuck with him and his declining performance. I'll give him credit for his effort, but that becomes irrelevant when you play that poorly for an entire season.
at some point MT will have no choice bu to send him down a line or two, where he'll face "easier" competition, he's doing ok defensively but he isnt doing much offensively... Gionta is clearly on the decline, sending him in the SO or on the PP in hopes he scores and gain his confidence back is a waste of time. For everytime he miss his confidence diminish, and considering he isnt contributing offensively, last thing we want is the guy starting to doubt himself even more.

Guess both MT and Gionta will have to get that it's "le chant du cygne" for #21 and use him in a lesser role where he can have a somewhat self-satisfying year and a half and bring something to the team, even if only defensively.

The guy s supposed to be a sniper, and his shot is gone.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:23 AM
DAChampion

Sometimes players have a bad year without it being the end of their career.

Either way, reduce Gionta to a lower line so he can work on his problems on his own, not sure who takes his spot, maybe Gallagher.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:52 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:

Either way, reduce Gionta to a lower line so he can work on his problems on his own, not sure who takes his spot, maybe Gallagher.
34 years old
missed 50 or so games last season
have only one full season (without injuries) since being a Habs

doesnt look like he's just in a slump...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:48 AM
Be a Hab

Quote:

Gallagher has earned a spot in the top 6 of this team. He's work on the boards and puck pursuit is second to no one. He's screening the goalie on shots and always battling for rebounds.plus he has a good hard accurate shot. Atm Gallagher deserves top 6 min more than gionta so let's give it to him and let gionta play a defensive role until he get he's scoring touch back.

Be a Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:29 AM
LePoche69

I don't HATE Gionta. But he loses value with each week passing. Bergevin should trade him as soon as he can.

It would be all logical with the youth movement without forgetting the present. Habs will make the playoffs with or without Gionta.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:30 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

i know its the taboo thing to talk about cause he's the captain and all but, i personally think he's been our worst player the last couple of games.

I'm not saying moen, white and armstrong are better players, but every player has been better at their role than Gionta has at his.

He stifles all offense, is taking shots from low possibility angles, misses the net by alot, and when he doesnt shoot, he takes so long to figure out what to do with the puck that he kills the play

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:34 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post

The highlighted portions of your comments are all inaccurate

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:44 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

I believe MT deserves some slack for his decisions because of the success of the team. Most of his decisions have paid off this season. He also has the pulse of the team.

Should an aging 33 yo captain deserve all these PP minutes, when better offensive players are watching from the bench just because he's a high-paid captain? I think a coach can find a happy medium between this type of preferential treatment and over-reacting. For example, Ftorek benched 27 yo Gretzky who was alternate captain and that season's MVP and had won 4 Cups as captain.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:14 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I think the best thing for Gio is to maybe cut back his ice time, maybe put him with Galchenyuk and Eller, and take some pressure off him. Let Cole play with Bourque and Plekanec for a few games.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:16 AM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
I don't HATE Gionta. But he loses value with each week passing. Bergevin should trade him as soon as he can.

It would be all logical with the youth movement without forgetting the present. Habs will make the playoffs with or without Gionta.
Some of you guys just don't get it do you? This is not NHL 13. The game isn't just about stats. Trading your captain, a very very good one at that, shortly after a management overhaul, while you are leading the East is an incredibly STUPID idea. Plain and simple.

Unless the Habs are offered the world, unless management is very very certain that the locker-room wouldn't suffer, unless the team that we would not lose the great leadership we so clearly have now, you don't trade Gionta. Simple as that.

Besides, as some have already said, he had surgery on his shooting arm last year and did not play during the lockout, Gionta could very well return to the 25 goal-scoring Gionta again.

We should be concerned, but the goal should be to find ways to help the captain of the East-leading team return to form, instead of trying to find ways to run him out of town for goodness sakes. I suspect that the wise Therrien recognizes the former, that's why he put him in the shoot-out, to give him confidence.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:17 AM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think the best thing for Gio is to maybe cut back his ice time, maybe put him with Galchenyuk and Eller, and take some pressure off him. Let Cole play with Bourque and Plekanec for a few games.
That's another good idea, I've been thinking about that. But, the Gally-Eller-Cole line has been good too, do we really want to change that? It may be worth it though.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote