HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Danny Briere: activated Apr. 11 (concussion Mar. 25); Q and A article Apr. 11

Old
02-24-2013, 01:26 AM
dawkins121

vCash: 500
I would still rather suffer through Briere's contract for another couple years and use the amnesty on Bryz. 7 more years after this one...

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:52 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard7737 View Post
I know Couturier is always going to play center, but is it possible the Flyers buy out Briere at the end of the year and give the number 2 center to Couturier and move Schenn to the wing? Having a top 6 of Hartnell, Giroux, Voracek, Schenn, Couturier and Simmonds is pretty impressive, with Matt Read in the top 9 for depth...just not sure if Couturier will always be a number 3 center in Philly behind Giroux and Schenn or if he will ever get a chance in the top 6...I think he could put up some big numbers if given the chance.
Schenn has played his best as a center (by far). Giroux plays his best as a center and is bordering on being elite @ faceoffs. Sean Couturier also is a pure center and does his best work playing the center position and shutting down opposing centers like Malkin, Crosby, Stamkos, etc. I wouldn't really want to move any of them to the wing. But that presents a problem, because all three deserve to be 20 min/night players but realistically a team can only have two 20 min/night centers; the guys centering your 1st and 2nd lines. Giroux will always be the #1C and since Schenn is more offensively gifted, I think he'll always be the #2C, which leaves Couturier stuck in the #3C role, where he's constantly see below-average offensive teammates, a ton of defensive zone starts, and match-ups against the opponent's top line nightly.

It's a tough problem to solve, but a nice problem to have If you know what I mean...

But I think eventually, it could lead to Couturier being traded to land a true #1 defenseman. Especially if Laughton comes up next year and shows that he can excel in a 3rd line / shutdown role.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:54 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
I would still rather suffer through Briere's contract for another couple years and use the amnesty on Bryz. 7 more years after this one...
There are 2 amnesties. We could use them on both Briere and Bryz

Also, who are you replacing Bryz with? He has played well this year for the most part. If Bob was still on the roster, maybe I could see it, but without him? No way can I see Bryz being amnestied this offseason.

If Stolarz impresses out of training camp and is the backup next season (or the starter in the AHL) and shows some serious skill, then MAYBE I could see them using the amnesty next offseason on Bryz, but this year? No way.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:17 AM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
Schenn has played his best as a center (by far). Giroux plays his best as a center and is bordering on being elite @ faceoffs. Sean Couturier also is a pure center and does his best work playing the center position and shutting down opposing centers like Malkin, Crosby, Stamkos, etc. I wouldn't really want to move any of them to the wing. But that presents a problem, because all three deserve to be 20 min/night players but realistically a team can only have two 20 min/night centers; the guys centering your 1st and 2nd lines. Giroux will always be the #1C and since Schenn is more offensively gifted, I think he'll always be the #2C, which leaves Couturier stuck in the #3C role, where he's constantly see below-average offensive teammates, a ton of defensive zone starts, and match-ups against the opponent's top line nightly.

It's a tough problem to solve, but a nice problem to have If you know what I mean...

But I think eventually, it could lead to Couturier being traded to land a true #1 defenseman. Especially if Laughton comes up next year and shows that he can excel in a 3rd line / shutdown role.
Well written and I believe it is what it comes down to. The only concern I have is, when Couturier might be gone and replaced with Laughton down the middle we may be a bit short in terms of size.

Giroux 5`11"
B.Schenn 6'1"
Laughton 6'1"

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:28 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:

^ A well reasoned analysis. I would be inclined to handle it differently though, for a few reasons. If there's one place you can't win if your hockey team sucks, it's defense. However, if there's one place that pays the largest dividends for being above average, it's at center. I will expound on that opinion if you want, but for now let's just take it for granted as my philosophy.

The reasoning behind trading Couturier there works, if we presume he will never be a better offensive player than Schenn. I am not willing to make that presumption, and we know it is very unlikely that Schenn will become the type of defender that Couturier is. Also, any #1d worth trading for is not going to be the #1d we really want. If they were they wouldn't be traded, those guys don't get traded. It'll be a Bouwmeester type of #1D. At the expense of Cutourier, no thank you.

Also, injuries happen. And there are surely going to be series and games where one of Schenn or Couturier needs to play more time for match-up reasons or what have you. And they can surely play some minutes at wing.

I'm of the opinion that when you have players that you think are unusual talents, you don't trade them to have your skill more aligned to a traditional depth chart. You get creative. In-the-box, stick-to-a-depth-chart thinking can't take precedent over getting talent on the ice.

That's just my thinking on it. If a legit #1D that brings something to the table that is otherwise unattainable is available you think about it. But those guys are never available.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:12 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Unless Bryz goes mental and loses the ability to play goalie, we shouldn't touch his contract. Having a goalie in place brings a huge degree of stability. I don't like the contract length, but we'll have to deal with it. As many of said -- you amnesty Bryz and replace him with who? Just starts the goalie search again, one that we've failed at for the last two decades.

Briere should be amnestied. Ideally this summer to give us room to start building for the next 5 years. If it's next summer, fine. It's the only contract that makes sense.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:43 AM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Unless Bryz goes mental and loses the ability to play goalie, we shouldn't touch his contract. Having a goalie in place brings a huge degree of stability. I don't like the contract length, but we'll have to deal with it. As many of said -- you amnesty Bryz and replace him with who? Just starts the goalie search again, one that we've failed at for the last two decades.

Briere should be amnestied. Ideally this summer to give us room to start building for the next 5 years. If it's next summer, fine. It's the only contract that makes sense.
I don't know the rules under amnesty, but would it not be better for Briere to keep his current contract, vs. being bought out? That is, would it be better for him to accept a trade? Does anyone have a handle on it?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:19 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I don't know the rules under amnesty, but would it not be better for Briere to keep his current contract, vs. being bought out? That is, would it be better for him to accept a trade? Does anyone have a handle on it?
Briere is only owed $5M total over the last 2 years of his contract. If he became a free agent, he'd likely make that next year alone.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:51 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Briere is only owed $5M total over the last 2 years of his contract. If he became a free agent, he'd likely make that next year alone.
Right but his cap hit is still 6.5, right? Thanks.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:52 AM
chinatown81592
Knight of Beavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Right but his cap hit is still 6.5, right? Thanks.
Yup cap hit is still 6.5 million next two years but actual salary is 5 million over the next two years.

chinatown81592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:11 AM
rban*

Quote:

Pens had same problem with Jordan Staal. Eventually Couts will be traded.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:14 AM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Pens had same problem with Jordan Staal. Eventually Couts will be traded.
I like our center depth but Pens also had two best players in the game ahead of Staal. Not exactly the same conundrum.

And if someone has to be the odd man out, and its between Schenn and Couturier, Schenn is the one hitting the road.

BrimFullofAsham45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:16 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Money isn't the isue here, it's the CAP HIT - and Le Hobbit should be cutout.

I think Bryz has played VERY well tis season - I think the team has let him down more often than not in his perceived bad games.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
From a purely money stance, if I were Briere I wouldn't accept a trade anywhere (2 years 5 million) and force them to amnesty so I could sign a contract with a cup contender for more per year and I would get to determine the length, contingent upon how much longer I felt like playing. Long story short:

I will get more money and more power by forcing an amnesty.

Flyotes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:31 AM
JayB

Trade him. For a first round pick and defensive prospect.

JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:49 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
I like our center depth but Pens also had two best players in the game ahead of Staal. Not exactly the same conundrum.

And if someone has to be the odd man out, and its between Schenn and Couturier, Schenn is the one hitting the road.
Its easier to trade one coots than 2 schenn's. THe minute we traded for luke i thought couts was the odd man out.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:09 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
There are 2 amnesties. We could use them on both Briere and Bryz

Also, who are you replacing Bryz with? He has played well this year for the most part. If Bob was still on the roster, maybe I could see it, but without him? No way can I see Bryz being amnestied this offseason.

If Stolarz impresses out of training camp and is the backup next season (or the starter in the AHL) and shows some serious skill, then MAYBE I could see them using the amnesty next offseason on Bryz, but this year? No way.
I like bryz, but i absolutely buy him out. Contract is horrid. There are a number of short term stop gaps available.

Crazy tim thomas, backstrom, nabokov, theodore, emery are all guys i could live with.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

I don't think you guys get what GKJ was saying. In his current contract, Briere personally makes 5 million total for his final two years combined.

If Briere is bought out, his new contract will almost certainly earn him a good amount more than that. It would actually benefit Briere to be bought out.

02-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
To be fair.........the whole club was horrible against Jersey ? Our club just don't match up against Jersey for quite a few reasons, although we match up well against Pitts ? go figure.
most of the club, excluding Bryz, was horrible.

however, Danny single-handedly cost us an OT game on the road with yet another of his lazy defensive lapses [in OT]

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
most of the club, excluding Bryz, was horrible.

however, Danny single-handedly cost us an OT game on the road with yet another of his lazy defensive lapses [in OT]
And Bryz cost us a game with an awful turnover. Bryz wasn't horrible..but "not horrible" isn't a ringing endorsement. He was pretty underwhelming as well, letting in inopportune goals.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:36 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I don't think you guys get what GKJ was saying. In his current contract, Briere personally makes 5 million total for his final two years combined.

If Briere is bought out, his new contract will almost certainly earn him a good amount more than that. It would actually benefit Briere to be bought out.
If he is chasing dollars, yes. It also frees him up to chase a cup on a contender for a low salary.

Sounds like a buyout is the best all around option.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:05 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
If he is chasing dollars, yes. It also frees him up to chase a cup on a contender for a low salary.

Sounds like a buyout is the best all around option.
I agree, we get the cap space, he gets to potentially play on a cup winner. Now the question is, will he be asked for a list of teams this season so we don't have to worry about wasting a buyout on him? When you think of it, a buyout is kind of a slap on the face even though it's just business. I hope they approach him the situation this way just to give him the choice.

He doesn't really fit on any line and the time he's taken off the PP will allow one of the young guys more of an opportunity.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:13 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

The ideal solution is for Briere to get Borqued. That way we can get some kind of return for him as well as open cap space. Danny finally gets a Cup.

Either way (whether he wins a Cup or not), trading him is ideal. Then we get cap space, some sort of asset which is better than nothing, and one of the amnesty buyouts is reserved.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:38 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
The ideal solution is for Briere to get Borqued. That way we can get some kind of return for him as well as open cap space. Danny finally gets a Cup.

Either way (whether he wins a Cup or not), trading him is ideal. Then we get cap space, some sort of asset which is better than nothing, and one of the amnesty buyouts is reserved.
Agreed, but at $6.5 million it would have to happen at the deadline in his last year right? I don't think any teams are taking on that full cap hit, even if he is a bad Mofo come Spring.

You can't re-sign guys you amnestied can you?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:45 PM
BernieParent

A win-win might be Briere to a team like St. Louis, looking for that extra push in the playoffs. They seem to have some nice prospect depth at defense. Nashville (Ellis) and Chicago (Clendening) might also be good trade partners.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote