HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Is it too early to declare Chris Stewart is back?

Old
02-24-2013, 06:10 AM
Jzk

vCash: 4000
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
In Game 1 Chris Stewart had the least ice time of ANY Blues player. Defenseman or forward. It's because he was invisible and atrocious and Hitch benched him the next game. He comes back and has a couple nice moments in Game 3 but was still basically invisible every other shift, still only had 9th most forward minutes. In Game 4 he got 7th most ice time among forwards with 13+ minutes, had no points and was a -1.

All you folks who are literally making up history, are you saying Hitchcock was massively limiting Stewart's ice time because he doesn't know when one of his forwards is the best forward on the ice? Wow, how come you guys haven't been screaming for Hitch's firing since all that went down?

This is seriously absurd. Stewart SUCKED in the playoffs last year, end of story.
I don't know maybe he actually played with and edge? I think that's what you're supposed to do in the playoffs. Also the worst game by far was the one he didn't even play in. Funny how that happens. Then he comes back and scores 2 in the next game.

Last edited by EastonBlues22: 02-24-2013 at 11:38 AM. Reason: qep
Jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:22 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzk View Post
I don't know maybe he actually played with and edge? I think that's what you're supposed to do in the playoffs. Also the worst game by far was the one he didn't even play in. Funny how that happens. Then he comes back and scores 2 in the next game.
Oh, he played with "and edge."

In the first game he was not the Blues' best forward; he was the worst player on the ice for either team. Did you not watch the game?

In Game 2 he was scratched.

How "special" must a mind be to convince oneself that missing Stewart's abysmal Game 1 performance in Game 2 is why the bottom fell out in the first period of Game 2?

He was better in Game 4 than in Game 3 (when he scored the goals but was otherwise invisible with his "edge" of 1 whole hit) ... and in Game 4 he was merely meh.

What is the weird compulsion to make stuff up about Stewart? If Stewart had been the best forward on the ice against LA or even close it would have been a talking point in trade board talks about Stewart. But guess what never happened because it's a fiction?

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:08 AM
Jzk

vCash: 4000
Quote:

In the first game he was not the Blues' best forward; he was the worst player on the ice for either team. Did you not watch the game?

How "special" must a mind be to convince oneself that missing Stewart's abysmal Game 1 performance in Game 2 is why the bottom fell out in the first period of Game 2?

He was better in Game 4 than in Game 3 (when he scored the goals but was otherwise invisible with his "edge" of 1 whole hit) ... and in Game 4 he was merely meh.

What is the weird compulsion to make stuff up about Stewart? If Stewart had been the best forward on the ice against LA or even close it would have been a talking point in trade board talks about Stewart. But guess what never happened because it's a fiction?
How the **** am I making stuff up about Stewart? I said he was our best forward in the Kings series which I think he was. Edge doesn't exactly mean hitting everything that moves either. No other forward stood out with the exception being Berglund. You have the game dvr'd and want to upload it so we can all pick apart everyone's game because we're all going off of memory at this point.

Jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:24 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Stewart was the best forward against LA IMO, but it says more about the other players than him. Stewart at least did something and fought back, while everyone else just took their beating.

Who cares though, this is when Stewart was at his worst, an he has since got his **** together and isn't a problem anymore.

As for his contract, I see him getting a little less than Perron, so 4 years with an average of $3.5 million is a good start.

Last edited by EastonBlues22: 02-24-2013 at 11:38 AM.
bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:58 AM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

Yeah I thought Stewart was the best forward against LA too, but relatively speaking, that wasn't saying much.

The intensity in his game is awesome this year. I thought he would regain the offensive touch, but I'm pleasantly surprised with his defense.

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:08 AM
Renard

vCash: 500
Quote:

I have to agree with PocketNines. I was hoping that Stewart would be scratched for the LA series because he was awful in the prior series. and in fact awful all year.

He can shoot the puck, and he can fight. But in every other aspect of the game, he was and still is awful.

I respect the opinions of those who disagree, but I recommend you attend a game and focus on Stewart when he is on the ice. Don't follow the puck, just watch Steward. You will see him fail on the forecheck, go offsides in oddman rushes, ice the puck when he didn't need to, fumble the puck, fall down without being hit, make many passes that miss the mark. Those things don't show up on the score sheet, but they make him a very limited hockey player.

Renard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:16 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renard View Post
I have to agree with PocketNines. I was hoping that Stewart would be scratched for the LA series because he was awful in the prior series. and in fact awful all year.

He can shoot the puck, and he can fight. But in every other aspect of the game, he was and still is awful.

I respect the opinions of those who disagree, but I recommend you attend a game and focus on Stewart when he is on the ice. Don't follow the puck, just watch Steward. You will see him fail on the forecheck, go offsides in oddman rushes, ice the puck when he didn't need to, fumble the puck, fall down without being hit, make many passes that miss the mark. Those things don't show up on the score sheet, but they make him a very limited hockey player.
Are you saying he sucks this year too, because that is almost as bad as the people who say Jackman and Cole suck.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Renard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Are you saying he sucks this year too, because that is almost as bad as the people who say Jackman and Cole suck.
I didn't use the word "suck." What I am saying is - he is a very limited hockey player. If you think he is good just by looking at his points, you are missing his weaknesses, and they are many.

And by the way, I have always liked Jackman and have a lot of hope for Cole.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:30 AM
Robb_K

We know Stewart still doesn't play a super all-around 2-way game. His defence now is "passable" because he's scoring again. He's getting back much of the time, but still not getting back all the time. He's picking his spots for making hits. But, his hitting more, and in situations that help more than some of his half-hearted or unhelpful hits last season. He's playing much better without the puck, and making better passes. He's driving the net, and cycling better, and much more willing to fight for position in front of the goal, than last year.

His overall game still needs a lot of improvement. But scoring again, skating much better, playing so-so, rather than abysmal defence, fighting hard for position and for the puck, all make him now worth keeping, rather than a liability.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:30 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renard View Post
I didn't use the word "suck." What I am saying is - he is a very limited hockey player. If you think he is good just by looking at his points, you are missing his weaknesses, and they are many.

And by the way, I have always liked Jackman and have a lot of hope for Cole.
Fine, you didn't use "suck," you just used "awful," so I will use "awful" from now on.

People have unrealistic expectations for him and if you expected him to do all those things, then you didn't watch him in Colorado. He has always been a rush player and is more of a sniper stuck in a powerforward's body. He's a physical sniper who prefers to play on the rush. He's a 2nd line winger with 30-30 ability, and that is exactly how he is playing.

People like you only look at his weaknesses. Every player has their limitations

Old
02-24-2013, 12:11 PM
Renard

Quote:
Fine, you didn't use "suck," you just used "awful," so I will use "awful" from now on.

People have unrealistic expectations for him and if you expected him to do all those things, then you didn't watch him in Colorado. He has always been a rush player and is more of a sniper stuck in a powerforward's body. He's a physical sniper who prefers to play on the rush. He's a 2nd line winger with 30-30 ability, and that is exactly how he is playing.

People like me? Have we met?

I'm expressing my opinion, you are welcome to your's. By the way, I specifically mentioned Stewart's strenghts in my post. I just don't see his strengths as overcoming his weaknesses.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

MOD NOTE: Lets keep comments about the post, not the person.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:55 PM
PAZ

Quote:

Practically spot on. Stewart looks his best on the rush, which is why he excelled in the Avs old run-and-gun system. I haven't seen enough Blues games to comment on how he played, but I don't think you've seen him at his best yet. He's definitely capable of 30-30, and filling in on the 1st line when needed.

I still fully believe with the right coaching and training, he'll expand his game and be a strong player without having to rely on the rush. From the games I have watched, he doesn't look completely comfortable out there compared to when he was on the Avs.

PAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:00 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Sure, worst player on the ice for either team in Game 1 and healthy scratch for Game 2 was the Blues' best forward. Sure. Is this an episode of Punk'd?

Old
02-24-2013, 04:02 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Are we really going to argue who's the tallest midget?

Old
02-24-2013, 04:08 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Are we really going to argue who's the tallest midget?
Here's the point. It's all about Stewart's season this year. In real time, in the playoff GDTs last year, this was not even a debatable point. But now, because he's playing better this year, it retroactively made him quote unquote the best forward in the LA series. Which is laughably absurd. But most of you seem to have adopted it. Which feels like a weird psychological need, to be honest. I say weird because I don't get it. Is it just discomfort in a story not being all one thing? As in, we can't handle complexity in a story, it has to be simple (he was always good, he was always bad)?

Old
02-24-2013, 04:17 PM
ItsOnlytheRiver

Stewart was bad in every part of the season last year. He's still doing a lot of minor things that frustrate the heck out of me, but I've been able to let it go because he's doing other things great.

ItsOnlytheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:18 AM
Renard

I'm sure Stewart is a good guy, and I hope he improves. But its tough to learn at the NHL level. He is a raw talent that could have really benefitted from a couple of years in the minor leagues.