HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Jake Gardiner Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 01:44 AM
Beer Me

vCash: 500

Old
02-24-2013, 07:19 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Ridiculous thread. This is a scapegoat think tank.

There's a combination of reasons why we lost that had nothing to do with Gardiner not being on the team. You might as well start a thread about trading for Kaberle so he can be our 1C.

So so so silly.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:23 AM
Alazais

It's not that he is declared healthy so he can and should be playing in the NHL. This is faulty logic. He is not playing like he did last year or pre-concussion. He is not playing the kind of game that is worthy of NHL playing time. The Leafs are winning games without him at moment. He needs to play the game properly in order to earn the time.

I watched a couple of games, and he looks timid out there. He doesn't look like the Gardiner that I watched pre-concussion. That Gardiner had this profound ability to just see every hole in the forecheck. He had the speed to completely ignore the backcheck and moved with a certain grace that only few players can really do. He is not doing that.

So it stands to reason then that if he's not doing the things that got him to the NHL than he shouldn't be playing in the NHL.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:26 AM
416Leafer

We're 11th for Goals/Game and 8th for Goals Against/Game.... I think our Ds been doing a pretty good job. Phaneuf, Kostka, and Franson have provided decent offence, we're getting a better commitment to defence this year, and we have some size/physicality to punish other teams forwards too.

Just looking at the numbers game though, youd have to think 2, maybe 3 of our D will be gone by next year. Gardiner/Rielly will both likely be on the Leafs full time next season, and Liles/Komi are already sitting. Thats a lot of extra bodies.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:00 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
Exactly.

Get Liles in there
Yep and then by the trade deadline get him TFO.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:12 AM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Gunnar looked horrible last night... Trade him and bring up Gardiner!

Old
02-24-2013, 09:17 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Somethings going to break soon. Hes too good to be in the AHL.

I would say a trade is probably in the works, Nonis is just putting the finishing touches on it. Could be larger then we think (D plus maybe Mac etc).

Old
02-24-2013, 09:28 AM
Doug Gilmour
Leafer Since '95

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahad203 View Post
Ok, if he's allowed to play in AHL what's the difference? they dont' hit you in AHL? didn't get his concussion in AHL? AHL players are more careless than NHL players. So I don't see your logic.

If he's cleared to play by doctors, who are more qualified than you and me, then he's clear to play. I am sure you have more knowledge of concussion than I, but that's irrelevant. If he still has concussion like symptoms, he shouldn't be playing at all.

He's not playing in NHL because of Carlye's love affair and commitment to guys like Kostka. Don't fool yourself.
Okay let me clear one thing up, I want Gardiner up with the big club as much as you do and yes he doesn't belong in the AHL much longer for the success of the franchise and himself BUT it does no good having him sitting in the pressbox at the ACC when Nonis and Carlyle are asessing the defensemen who are in their contract year. I would rather have him in the AHL playing than sitting.

*As for the bolded, 100% agree with you. If he is cleared by the medical staff and training staff then play your game Gardiner and force Nonis and Carlyle into sending someone down or trading someone to clear a spot for Gardiner.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:29 AM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post

I would say a trade is probably in the works, Nonis is just putting the finishing touches on it. Could be larger then we think (D plus maybe Mac etc).

This

Gunnar + Mac is my guess

Old
02-24-2013, 09:51 AM
calcal798

Quote:

Mac + Liles for Prospect/pick/young player + dump

Old
02-24-2013, 10:02 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Ok, if he's allowed to play in AHL what's the difference? they dont' hit you in AHL? didn't get his concussion in AHL? AHL players are more careless than NHL players. So I don't see your logic.

If he's cleared to play by doctors, who are more qualified than you and me, then he's clear to play. I am sure you have more knowledge of concussion than I, but that's irrelevant. If he still has concussion like symptoms, he shouldn't be playing at all.

He's not playing in NHL because of Carlye's love affair and commitment to guys like Kostka. Don't fool yourself.
Its a slower game in the AHL. Just read the last paragraph in the article Flowzie posted. Numbers aside, he's playing timid. Part of what made him so spectacular last season was the confidence he played with. He's not exactly the same player right now. He could be brought up but he wouldn't make the same impact he made last season.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:05 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClements New A View Post
Ridiculous thread. This is a scapegoat think tank.

There's a combination of reasons why we lost that had nothing to do with Gardiner not being on the team. You might as well start a thread about trading for Kaberle so he can be our 1C.

So so so silly.
Gardnier was arguably the Leafs best dman the last half of last year. Not sure why he wouldn't be given a chance to get his feet under him and prove he can do that again. By adding a top dman -- not sure how this is "ridiculous, scapegoat, think tank" -- adding a player like Gardiner last year would help this team win.

FYI, Kaberle has nothing to do with Gardiner. That is ridiculous to suggest.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:59 AM
Aplayaz2000

naww... am pretty sure Gard can only benefit the team

Old
02-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowzie View Post
Are you not able to comprehend English language or something? Yeah he is medically cleared to play. That does not mean he is playing up to the ability that he used to be at. There has been articles done on him by people who watch every Marlies games explaining how he is not close to being where he was. Eakins has even said in interviews that he is trying to get Gardiner to play well but he just isn't.
Where have you been for the past week or two? He's been 100% for awhile now. Like the past 5-7 games. Eakins even said.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:29 AM
Stephen

A couple of more losses and I think he's back up. It's a fine balance between being gritty and having too little skill and no jump. I like Fraser but I don't think he should be a regular.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:30 AM
SteveV*

How did Gards look yesterday?

Old
02-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
How did Gards look yesterday?
His worst game in his last 7. Not because of some damn concussion though. He just didnt play well. He's ready.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:46 AM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulemon View Post
his worst game in his last 7. Not because of some damn concussion though. He just didnt play well. He's ready.
hoe does he look today?

Old
02-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Alazais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
His worst game in his last 7. Not because of some damn concussion though. He just didnt play well. He's ready.
I don't understand this logic. Bad game, he's ready? He may not have had a bad game due to a concussion, but when you're trying to make the leap again to the NHL you have to be the kind fo player you were in the NHL. If you can't be that in a lesser league how can they expect him to be that in the NHL? There is a flaw in this kind of logic that I'm having a tough time grasping.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:57 AM
Ricky Bobby

Dreger had rumours of Liles to Carolina. Mirtle rumoured that a Liles deal was in place but the other GM pulled out at the last minute. With teams getting more and more desperate for D by the day expect Liles to be moved out very soon.

Since his concussion Gardiner has only recently been tearing it up the AHL to get back to where he was pre-injury.

He'll be back soon enough.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:57 AM
JimLaheyprobert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
Honestly could have used some dmen that game.
Phaneuf-Holzer
Gardiner-Liles
Franson-Fraser
Komisarek

Trade Gunnar for a 1st
if its so easy why dont you become GM, gunner isnt worth a first

Old
02-24-2013, 12:00 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Dreger had rumours of Liles to Carolina. Mirtle rumoured that a Liles deal was in place but the other GM pulled out at the last minute. With teams getting more and more desperate for D by the day expect Liles to be moved out very soon.

Since his concussion Gardiner has only recently been tearing it up the AHL to get back to where he was pre-injury.

He'll be back soon enough.
Do you have a link to the Mirtle rumour?

Old
02-24-2013, 12:11 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Do you have a link to the Mirtle rumour?
Toronto TSN Radio podcast he did on Friday. Mirtle made a remark about a team pulling out at the 11th hour on a deal with a Dman who had 3 years left on his deal because the team wasn't sure if they'd regret the trade come the off-season. The host laughed and said so JML. Mirtle all but "officially" confirmed that it was JML at that point.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:13 PM
colchar

Quote:
It's not fair to the fans I have to watch Kostka night in night out. Gardiner should be playing, even if he's 50% he's better than a lot of our players.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:48 PM
29Potvins

Yeah, Jake wasn't impressive yesterday. Well actually, the whole Marlies team (except Hamilton) didn't look too impressive. Jake might've been guilty of trying to do too much offensively.

Closed Thread