HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

NYI: Okposo & Nino for ROR +

Old
02-24-2013, 03:20 AM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

vCash: 500
NYI: Okposo & Nino for ROR +

I just posted this in a Colorado thread and figured it actually belonged here in the trade section..... Greetings Colorado, I am an Islanders fan that comes in peace. Yes, you read that correctly, an Islanders fan. The Isles have a very deep prospect pool and some good young talent. I'd like to throw some players out there..

I think Kyle Okposo, who now wears an "A' for the Isles is in need of a change of scenery. He had his first 20 (24) goal season last year at the age of 23 after missing most of the previous season with a shoulder injury. He is off to a very slow start and I think most Isle fans have had enough of him.

Nino Niederreiter, 5th overall pick 2 years ago. In typical Islanders fashion, he was thrown to the wolves last year as a 19 year old. Had a season beyond horrible. The kid wasn't anywhere near ready for the NHL. The kid used that as motivation and has been tearing up the AHL. He leads our AHL team in goals and points (22-39) and seems to be back on schedule in terms of his potential and confidence. When he wasn't invited to start the season with the big club after the lock-out, his agent started screaming for a trade.... In other words, the Isles can't make a good decision with this kid... When he should have been in the minors (last year), he was with the big club. When he should have been with the big club, this year, he is in the minors.. But he is still only 20 years old and playing great hockey with our AHL affiliate.

Two 20 year old AHL rookies along with Nino that I absolutely love are Brock Nelson and Johan Sundstrom. Johan Sundstrom might be one of our most underrated prospects, as he is a very solid two-way forward that can play center or wing. He was our second round pick last year from Sweden and is 39-11-14-25 so far this year in his first year in North America. Oh yeah,he's 6'2.5 200 lbs...... Brock Nelson is in his rookie year at Bridgeport after two years at North Dakota and is 41-14-18-32... He is 6'3.5 200 pounds and the last pick of the first round the same year we took Nino......... I love Nelson.... Not really looking to see him go at all.

Defensive prospects...... One of my favorites is Scott Mayfield from the University of Denver. Scott is a 6'4 210 pound physical D-man that can skate very well and has a good developing offensive game. He was the 2nd pick of the 2nd round two years ago. I only mention him, as many of you may be familiar with him being that he plays in Colorado............

We have many other highly ranked D-prospects... Robbie Russo from Notre Dame, Ville Pokka, our 2nd rounder last year who had a big world junior tournament. I am not mentioning Griffin Reinhart, Andrej Pedan or Adam Pelech because I'd like to keep them.

That's just some names I'll throw out there.......

So what will it take for ROR??? I know Okposo for ROR won't get it done, but Neiderreiter and Okposo is too much, so how about Okposo and Neiderreiter for ROR and either a strong D prospect or a low first rounder/high 2nd round pick??? If you rather have one forward and one D-man instead of two forwards, how is Okposo and Mayfield for ROR??

Now that I bored you with all that, what is the consensus out there with this situation?? Is it him being a bit greedy and getting a bit ahead of himself, or are the Avalanche low balling him?? I heard his dad is a sports psychologist or something of the sort.. any chance his dad may be interferring or feeding the kid's head with dollar signs that are unreal???

Once you guys ok my trade offer, please fax it over to the Colorado front office and have them send it over to Garth Snow to be finalized. Let's have this done by the end of the week.

Thanks!

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:31 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

vCash: 50
I'm not sure why Avs would need Okposo. He seems to struggle with consistency and isn't all that strong along the boards, despite his size. His contract isn't all that attractive in a trade either, with such an escalating salary.

I would think Niederreiter would be a better starting point. I couldn't tell you if he's an Avs type player or how they would react to him basically having a lost year of development.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:54 AM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

Even tough Sherman is high on Okposo according to one of the posters on the Avs board, he doesn't make sense as the main piece coming back in the trade for O'Reilly.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:02 AM
dahrougem2

I like Nino from what I saw in the WJC, he was pretty much destroyed last year by the Isles but I think if he gets his confidence back he can become a great top 6 forward. Same goes for Okposo only not confidence but consistency. I think if its a small + from the Avs going with O'Reilly, I like it. Potentially in a year or two could be

Nino/Duchene/Parenteau
Landeskog/Stastny/Okposo
McGinn/Sgarbossa/Downie

I like that top 9 a lot

dahrougem2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:20 AM
SI90

I dont do it as NYI perspective....I would need like a 10 day negotiating period with ROR...No way Im paying him 5mil...Mayby 4 per or 3.5.....

And even value wise I think the AVS are asking a bit much....If it was a prospects straight up, I could see it...

SI90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:35 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
Do fans even bother to pay attention to Wang and Snow's actions?

Or is ROR taking his $5m per in monopoly money?

1. Wang is seeking a buyer or at least a partner.

2. Wang has a $75m loan payment due in 2014, which the press has bought up in articles about the sale of the team.

3. Snow and Wang continue to use cap floor tricks and team friendly contracts, to spend as little actual cash as possible. Brooks reported that between TT, Vis, Tavares, Okposo, Nielsen, Bailey and Grabner, Wang's spending roughly $15m in actual cash payout. Yet, he's gonna pay $5m per to 22 yr old ROR?

4.Wang imo would rather pay Nino $900,000 basy salary on his ELC and pay KO $2m this season, then $3 next season, then pay ROR $5m based on 1 very impressive season.

5,Tavares averages $5.5m per. People really think Wang, will give ROR Tavares type money?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:09 AM
416Leafer

I think the value is pretty close, though I dont think the Avs need to add much at all, maybe nothing.

But even though the value is close, id imagine Colorado would prefer a defenceman in return.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:52 AM
niwotsblessing

Any trade involving O'Reilly will obviously have to include him having a deal in place with the new team. If he thinks someone else in the NHL will pay him $5 mil per, he'd better start looking at a new career.

I'm not all that familiar with the Isles prospect pool, but prospects without NHL experience have less value. I would think it would take Nino++ to make a workable deal for ROR.

niwotsblessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:05 AM
NYVanfan

What do isles fans think ofthese guys asthe basis for a schneider trade?
Would love to add vishno&ballard too

Okposo, nino, vishnovsky
For
Schneider, ballard

?

Would love to get a good pick too, and possibly strome instead of nino, but something in this ballpark is appealling

KO could play anywhere in the top 9 and give us some more grit, while Vish i think would really be the kill piece the canucks have lacked since Erhoff (even better, really ....and for you guys, expensive, ufa, redundant maybe with Streit there..?)

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:13 AM
McSuper
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwotsblessing View Post
Any trade involving O'Reilly will obviously have to include him having a deal in place with the new team. If he thinks someone else in the NHL will pay him $5 mil per, he'd better start looking at a new career.

I'm not all that familiar with the Isles prospect pool, but prospects without NHL experience have less value. I would think it would take Nino++ to make a workable deal for ROR.
Base on what ? O'Reilly has a sense of entitlement or at lease he thinks he does . I would not want him . One good season and he wants to be paid as a proven star . I say in 2 years Nino has more value . Teams will get tried pretty quick of a me first player which is what O'Reilly is . As someone else said if he wants 5 million he should start looking for a new job . For the AVS fan that will say the same things about Nino and his trade demands . It was his agent that started this and the fact he is playing hard in the AHL makes this very believable
One more thing i am a fan of the Oilers so i am not siding with the NYI

McSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:49 AM
JoemAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
Base on what ? O'Reilly has a sense of entitlement or at lease he thinks he does . I would not want him . One good season and he wants to be paid as a proven star . I say in 2 years Nino has more value . Teams will get tried pretty quick of a me first player which is what O'Reilly is . As someone else said if he wants 5 million he should start looking for a new job . For the AVS fan that will say the same things about Nino and his trade demands . It was his agent that started this and the fact he is playing hard in the AHL makes this very believable
One more thing i am a fan of the Oilers so i am not siding with the NYI
Good thing that you are the expert and we clearly have to take you seriously. Do you know anything about this situation right now? Yeah money is the biggest problem but the one that could probably be solved. The dealbreaker is the bad blood between the two sides right now. ROR demanded maybe 5 x 5 M ( buys 1 UFA year) from the Avs. I for one believe that he will sign for much cheaper with another team. And if you think that ROR is a me first player. Well than you don't know him.
And Nino has asked for a trade. ROR has not as far as we know. So yeah my statement stands....

I would never do this trade. Neither Nino nor Okposo look like bonafide 1st line wingers. And we have enough borderline top line / good 2nd line winger as of right now.

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:06 AM
islandermaniac

my understanding is that o'reilly does not want $5M on a short term deal. he does, however, want a better contract that what duchene signed (2 years @ $3.5M per). there are many reasons why o'reilly feels he is worth more money on a shorter term contract than matt duchene. start with the fact that it was obvious that the coaching staff and management felt that o'reilly was the better player in the most recent season. would it not be fair for the kid to think that he should be paid more money than the person he just out performed? i don't think that is unrealistic at all.

so, to the trade proposal of niederreiter and okposo for o'reilly +:

honestly, let's not even discuss what the plus would be. i would send niederreiter and okposo for o'reilly alone. by the end of the season, isles fans will be so impressed with o'reilly that they won't even remember who they traded for him.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:07 AM
officeglen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
... Snow and Wang continue ... to spend as little actual cash as possible ...
I'm not sure why people are still discussing this.

spend as little actual cash as possible

officeglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:17 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Do fans even bother to pay attention to Wang and Snow's actions?

Or is ROR taking his $5m per in monopoly money?

1. Wang is seeking a buyer or at least a partner.

2. Wang has a $75m loan payment due in 2014, which the press has bought up in articles about the sale of the team.

3. Snow and Wang continue to use cap floor tricks and team friendly contracts, to spend as little actual cash as possible. Brooks reported that between TT, Vis, Tavares, Okposo, Nielsen, Bailey and Grabner, Wang's spending roughly $15m in actual cash payout. Yet, he's gonna pay $5m per to 22 yr old ROR?

4.Wang imo would rather pay Nino $900,000 basy salary on his ELC and pay KO $2m this season, then $3 next season, then pay ROR $5m based on 1 very impressive season.

5,Tavares averages $5.5m per. People really think Wang, will give ROR Tavares type money?
Stop taking life so.seriously Crew.. It was 4am and i couldn't sleep.. Rather than play fantasy hockey (which i dont), i like to post "fantasy trades" just for fun.... Of course in a Wang world this wont happen, but as an Islanders fan, all we have are draft day dreams and fantasy hopes, so lighten up a bit... You're like the parent who killed Santa Clause...

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:35 PM
HyeDray

I dont think Nino is as disgruntled with the Isles as his agent.

I would not move him, Strome or Nelson as part of any package right now. Sundstrom, Persson are playing really well in BP. Id consider moving one of them along with Okposo and Josh Bailey as part of a package.

Would Okposo, Bailey and 2nd round pick yoied the Islanders ROR? I don't know. Also I am not sure if is the right player for the Isles to consider...

Assume for a moment you deal KO, JB and a 2nd to the Lanch for a signed to a 5 yr deal ROR.

You have JT as the #1 center, followed by ROR as the #2, then Neilsen, then probably Cizikas.
That works really well for the rest of this year.

Next season Nelson and Strome are going to be pushing for roster spots. Where do they go??
Are you moving ROR to the wing? Strome? Nelson? Where will Nino play?

I guess my point is that if I am the Islanders, and I have a few assets to deal, I want to deal for a player who can either become a top pair defender, or is a top pair defender. That is something the Islanders need in order to really take a major step. They do not have a legit top pair right now.

I am not suggesting the Islanders have the assets, but think about what a Weber or Yandle could do for the Islanders. I would much rather add that level of skill and talent ont he blue line then a forward. As much as Neilsen is not a legit #2, we have a few potential #2s coming.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:39 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I'm not sure why Avs would need Okposo. He seems to struggle with consistency and isn't all that strong along the boards, despite his size. His contract isn't all that attractive in a trade either, with such an escalating salary.

I would think Niederreiter would be a better starting point. I couldn't tell you if he's an Avs type player or how they would react to him basically having a lost year of development.
With Colorado's current stalemate and with their growing reputation of conservative approach to contracts and young players, does anyone actually think Sherman would get anywhere close to Nino? If he's complaining at 19/20, what the heck is he going to do after next season when his contract is up?

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:24 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
Stop taking life so.seriously Crew.. It was 4am and i couldn't sleep.. Rather than play fantasy hockey (which i dont), i like to post "fantasy trades" just for fun.... Of course in a Wang world this wont happen, but as an Islanders fan, all we have are draft day dreams and fantasy hopes, so lighten up a bit... You're like the parent who killed Santa Clause...
My bad. I'm sorry to be a killjoy.

I actually think Snow has done his due diligence on ROR. Has called both ROR's agent and the Avs, asking what it'll take to get a deal done. If he hasn't, then he's not doing his job to at least see if a deal's there.

However, there are credible sources, saying that $5m per figure is accurate (Dater+ McKenzie). I think the Avs reported 2 yr/$7m offer, is more then fair. With key players Hamonic and Moulson due new contracts over the next 2 summers, I am not in favor of giving ROR Tavares type money.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:44 PM
a mangy Meowth
#thestructure

No. And I don't know why we would add to get this package.

RORs value increased exponentially this last season, Okposo's value has dropped like a rock and Nino is now a project in my eyes.

No thanks

a mangy Meowth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:16 PM
Weast
Ryan O'Money

Horrible trade for the Isles. Not because of the value but i'm not sure that the Isles will be willing to give O'Reilly the type of money that Tavares is making.

Weast is online now   Reply With Quote