HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Winger Acquisition Thread | Part V: Wingers in the Hands of an Angry (Hockey) God

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 08:01 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

vCash: 500
I'm one of the few that would want Seto and Cullen from Minny but only if they would come at the right price. They could address several needs and replace leechers like Kennedy. Funny how just a few weeks ago when Seto was struggling, many were clamoring to get him on the Pens, seeing him as a potential longer solution on the left side of the PP and a cheap young player who could thrive playing with an elite center like he did with Joe Thornton in SJ. Now that he has finally started to turn his game around, people here don't want him anymore. If there's one Wild player I would like Shero to stay away from is PMB. He's an injury waiting to happen especially in the Atlantic division.

Old
02-24-2013, 08:26 AM
JTG

I have no desire for Matt Cullen at all.

Filppula is a guy who is very interesting, because I think he could be clutch on the LW with Geno and Neal. He's a playmaking winger who is awesome defensively. He's not a great goal scorer, but I think he could definitely put up around 20-25 here, and probably have 30 or so assists.

Old
02-24-2013, 08:40 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
I'm one of the few that would want Seto and Cullen
Can you explain specifically, playing C on line 3 or 4, how Matt Cullen would improve this team? I'm genuinelly not understanding why anyone would care if we traded for him or not. How does he make the 3rd line better vs. Jeffrey (or Sutter) or the 4th vs Vitale or Adams? He sure as hell should not C line 2.

Old
02-24-2013, 08:44 AM
JTG

Cullen can play wing, and has in the past, but I wouldn't recommend it at all.

Old
02-24-2013, 08:48 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Neither would I.

Old
02-24-2013, 08:49 AM
JTG

If I were Shero, I'd be circling Buffalo like a vulture. They have a ton of pieces we could use.

Old
02-24-2013, 08:53 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
If I were Shero, I'd be circling Buffalo like a vulture. They have a ton of pieces we could use.
they are a very interesting case. I have no idea who I think they'd consider available right now. They have some wings that could potentially become available. What are they going to be looking for though? I would think a center. But a Dustin Jeffrey level center? I don't think they need that. Probably defense too I guess. I would be thrilled to bring in someone like Pominville. And Regher if we do end up trading away a roster d-man. Something based around Pominville and Regher for Niskanen and a D Prospect? I don't think there's much chance they want to trade Marcus Faligno.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 02-24-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old
02-24-2013, 08:56 AM
Pitt's Best #87 #66

It's somewhat of a pipe dream but Pominville would be awesome on this team.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:00 AM
stefanh

Saw this was someones suggestion on the Sabres boards:

Pominville and Regehr

for

TK, Määtä, Bennett, 1st

Old
02-24-2013, 09:04 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanh View Post

Pominville and Regehr

for

TK, Määtä, Bennett, 1st
Overpayment. No ned for that 1st given Regehr's age.

TK + Bennett is arguably fair for Pommers. Odds that he won't be a productive Top 6 player are slim. TK is salary dump.

Maatta for Regehr is more than fair long-term but it assumes a building mode instead of a playoff mode.

I think though the real problem here is Buffallo would have no use for Kennedy and would prefer a roster D.

Pommers, Regehr

for

Nisky, Bennett, Dumoulin?

Ends up being Nisky + Bennett for Pommers (the best player of the three but not more valuable than both), Dumoulin for Regehr (a move for next year more than this year).

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 02-24-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old
02-24-2013, 09:07 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanh View Post

Pominville and Regehr

for

TK, Määtä, Bennett, 1st
Man, that's tough. I don't think that pick would be a first for sure but I am awful at pick trade value. and I really like Bennett and we don't need 8 roster d-men. I don't see us bringing in Regehr without trading a d-man either back to them or in a separate move.

But do that move along with Niskanen for another wing (gonna use Seto as a placeholder don't kill me people )

Pominville - Crosby - Setoguchi
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Glass - Vitale - Adams
Jeffrey

Letang - Despres
Orpik - Martin
Regher - Engo/Bort
Engo/Bort

That is a nice looking hockey team right there

Old
02-24-2013, 09:09 AM
JTG

If a team came to us and said, we want Despres or Bennett...who do you trade?

I'd choose Despres

Old
02-24-2013, 09:10 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Man, that's tough. I don't think that pick would be a first for sure but I am awful at pick trade value. and I really like Bennett and we don't need 8 roster d-men. I don't see us bringing in Regehr without trading a d-man either back to them or in a separate move.

But do that move along with Niskanen for another wing (gonna use Seto as a placeholder don't kill me people )

Pominville - Crosby - Setoguchi
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Glass - Vitale - Adams
Jeffrey

Letang - Despres
Orpik - Martin
Regher - Engo/Bort
Engo/Bort

That is a nice looking hockey team right there
Regehr would be paired with Letang and it wouldn't even be questioned.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:11 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Can you explain specifically, playing C on line 3 or 4, how Matt Cullen would improve this team? I'm genuinelly not understanding why anyone would care if we traded for him or not. How does he make the 3rd line better vs. Jeffrey (or Sutter) or the 4th vs Vitale or Adams? He sure as hell should not C line 2.
Cullen isn't bad, but he is more of a third line pivot than anything. I don't think he would hurt the team and could play in the bottom nine. He's a guy who would probably score a big goal in the playoffs somewhere along the line and give you responsible play shift after shift.

There is just no real upside or big impact there.

I really think adding Stempniak will give this team a new dimension at wing and he is signed for a reasonable hit at 2.5m next season and is only 30. I think Shero could get him out of Calgary for a second + decent prospect. I think he is a guy who Pens fans would love and he has many of the attributes we have been clamoring for Crosby's wing.

As an example, last night he got the puck in the NZ and dangled past three Wild players and got a great shot off on net. A little while later, he jumped off the bench and got a breakaway, but got robbed. he doesn't need anyone to carry him, because he creates on his own.

Consistency has been his biggest problem, but he has been pretty consistent this season. He has played mostly third line minutes, but is only one point behind Iggy this season.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:12 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:

I'd choose Despres
That's a tough choice... Despres could be a huge help to us in the playoffs if used correctly but Bennett is the more scarce resource by far. Short-term the more costly move would be Despres. Long-term, Bennett (most likely).

Old
02-24-2013, 09:14 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Cullen isn't bad, but he is more of a third line pivot than anything. I don't think he would hurt the team and could play in the bottom nine. He's a guy who would probably score a big goal in the playoffs somewhere along the line and give you responsible play shift after shift.

There is just no real upside or big impact there.

I really think adding Stempniak will give this team a new dimension at wing and he is signed for a reasonable hit at 2.5m next season and is only 30. I think Shero could get him out of Calgary for a second + decent prospect. I think he is a guy who Pens fans would love and he has many of the attributes we have been clamoring for Crosby's wing.

As an example, last night he got the puck in the NZ and dangled past three Wild players and got a great shot off on net. A little while later, he jumped off the bench and got a breakaway, but got robbed. he doesn't need anyone to carry him, because he creates on his own.

Consistency has been his biggest problem, but he has been pretty consistent this season. He has played mostly third line minutes, but is only one point behind Iggy this season.

Good post and I agree on all points including:

Calgary much more likely to move someone like Stempniak to us for a fair price than Iggy.

Stempniak would at least improve our F skill depth some vs. Cullen types.

Stempniak's problem has always been consistency but that's what would make his price fair / not require a big asset, even though his upside with us is potentially big.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:25 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Good post and I agree on all points including:

Calgary much more likely to move someone like Stempniak to us for a fair price than Iggy.

Stempniak would at least improve our F skill depth some vs. Cullen types.

Stempniak's problem has always been consistency but that's what would make his price fair / not require a big asset, even though his upside with us is potentially big.
Just having a guy who could hold onto the puck and create on his own would make a massive difference in the Pens top six. He hasn't played with a top notch pivot, ever, that I can recall. Not in Calgary and I'm trying to think of his Yotes/Leafs pivots and I don't recall any highly skilled ones he played with.

I really think with his skillet he could be a 50 point guy with Malkin/Crosby and make their lives much easier on the ice.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:27 AM
JTG

There really may be a ton of options for trades this deadline, which works in our favor.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:33 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:

I'd choose Despres
Easily.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:43 AM
mpp9

I haven't watched Regehr very much this year, is he still a top 4 D? From what I recall, he was really slowing down last season.

Don't see Buffalo trading their captain to us. He's not the problem there, they'd be wise to keep him if they're going through a mini-rebuild. He's the model of consistency. I'd love him here, but I don't see it happening.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:45 AM
JTG

I think he is. He's not the guy he was in Calgary, as he's not in his 20's anymore, but he's still a very rock solid defender.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:49 AM
Jacob

Setoguchi looks fat to me. What's up with that?

Old
02-24-2013, 09:55 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Setoguchi looks fat to me. What's up with that?
Fat or phat?

Old
02-24-2013, 10:22 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:

I'd choose Despres

I agree, unfortunately. And I love Despres an unhealthy amount.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:29 AM
mpp9

If Geno remains out for a few weeks and Kunitz-Sid-Neal are lighting it up, I think that changes things a little. Especially if Bennett shows he's ready to stay here in a top 6 role, I'd go after Kulemin and the top 6 is set.

Closed Thread