Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mikael Granlund V

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 08:41 PM
JamesRanger

vCash: 500
Heh Granlund has 3 very good games and 1 bad one and he is scratched. I don't like how we are handling him. Its obvious he should be played at wing for a while. Instead he centers the 4th line or is scratched.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:43 PM
hokijanari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Just can't see how, if he's not a top six center on this team, why he's up here at all.
It doesn't matter what line he plays in. He has to get at least 13-14 minutes of ice time per game if he's up here, otherwise it doesn't make any sense. And he can get that TOI also on the wing of the third line.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:21 PM
Henri M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyr View Post
Haha funny how people wearing MG glasses just bash other players for Granlund not succeeding. He hasn´t earned his spot on the second line so far and certainly not the first. You do actually have to earn your spot in this league and not expect everything be laid infront of you, no matter what baby jeesus status you are riding in Europe.
Yeah.... Just like Coyle earned his spot, right+? Pfhhhhh.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:33 PM
Dampland

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M View Post
Yeah.... Just like Coyle earned his spot, right+? Pfhhhhh.
Coyle and Granlund are two totally different players and styles. You can't compare them, and why one has played on a top line versus the other.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:04 AM
Hagged

Who has earned their spots in the team? Granlund is a top six point contributor right now from the fourth line, and he actually is wild's fourth in Pts/TOI right behind Koivu, Parise and Cullen. How about giving some TOI and watch how the game goes.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:13 AM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
I think it's safe to say this situation won't last long aka till the end of this short season.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:47 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Guessing Granny is sent down tomorrow.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:50 AM
behemolari

Quote:
Yup, looks like team is doing excellent without him

I have started to wish actually Fletcher traded him away, as they clearly don't know what to do with him. That's too sad but this whole game system Wild plays is so much different than MiG does, there would be a lot better places him than Houston or centering 4th line of dumb&chase team.

I mean what even then if he happens to develop somehow while he is bounced all the time. Who would he played with as they generally loose puck by purpose as MiG's game is keep it by himself until he finds guy to pass it, then what? whoever the guy was.. he will dump it. He is passing guy as it really seems this team does not have use of them, why not just trade him away for something more suitable, like another PF

Last edited by behemolari: 02-24-2013 at 02:08 AM.
Old
02-24-2013, 12:51 AM
Tuomaz

Quote:
Watching today's game I sure hope not. Although it doesn't matter. it seems we are not ready yet.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:10 AM
sakux

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
I'm in the middle.

I am 100% against any notion that Setoguchi and Cullen are bad players. Your standards are very high for "good" players.

But Setoguchi for me is a 2nd/3rd liner. He really hasn't shown much of the goal-scoring ability we all wished he had, but he is displaying some good energy, strong physical play, and good board play. He has good speed and a good player to have on an energetic line like what we have in the Zucker-Cullen-Setoguchi line.
I don't know if I agree that my standards are very high. But in my mind the second line should be a first line light. They should be able to hold on to the puck and pass it around the offensive zone instead of just dump and chase and attack goal in a straight non-creative fashion. Seto is more of a top 3rd line player and Cullen lacks the passingskills to be on 2nd IMO.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:51 AM
RorschachWJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
I'm not going to hold last season against him, it was a F'd up year for the Wild and Seto.

He is only 26 and the ability is there and is starting to show itself. Even when he was demoted to the 4th line i thought he was playing well with perhaps to much emphasis on the physical play but it really does appear that his game is coming together in one complete package now.

I wasn't much on his side coming into the season but i am now. Imo he is starting to show all the abilities he was suspected of having.

Last season? This is his first season in NHL.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:58 AM
urho

I'm starting to feel sorry for him as he ended up with the Wild. Extremely defensive system with a coach who doesn't give a flying **** about how he's playing... Totally random line lottery and bad decisions overall. Hopefully somebody offers Wild a package they can't turn down.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:02 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RorschachWJK View Post
Last season? This is his first season in NHL.

Seto played 5 or 6 seasons before this one?

Old
02-24-2013, 07:47 AM
PhillyPhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by urho View Post
I'm starting to feel sorry for him as he ended up with the Wild. Extremely defensive system with a coach who doesn't give a flying **** about how he's playing... Totally random line lottery and bad decisions overall. Hopefully somebody offers Wild a package they can't turn down.
Maybe so, but us finns who aren't Wild fans who watch him play, do get a warped sense of his play, both good and bad. He was terrible in the beginning, and it's only against that that his recent performance has looked good. He's now a semi-competent offensive NHL-player that doesn't stick out like a sore thumb anymore offensively, but he has done 0% of Granlund-things so far, the things that made him a top10 pick. He did try to do them in his first games, and quickly realised that they don't work in the NHL. The fact that he's brutal defensively(yes, his +- is good, but his D doesn't pass the eye test) is also a big minus for giving him more ice time.

When watching games only focusing on Granlund, you don't notice the other players on the ice in the same manner, and that's why there are so many finns here ragging on Cullen, Coyle, Larsson or whoever they feel is keeping MiG out of the top2 lines. That's why it seems like Granlund is outplaying guys that are in the top2 lines, because you(we) notice Granlunds every run-of-the-mill pass in the neutral zone, but don't do it when Cullen does it. If Granlund bumps the puck loose in the corner, and the team scores thanks to that, you(we) all notice it, but if Cullen/Larsson/Coyle does the same play five times in the game it doesn't register, as it's just a normal but good hockey play.

Yeo sucks as a coach, that's for sure, but MiG's play does not warrant a top 2 role right now, and he has done absolutely nothing on the PP all season. Send him down, make him bathe in a bowl of roids in the summer, and let's see what he can do next season....

Old
02-24-2013, 08:27 AM
urho

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhinn View Post
Maybe so, but us finns who aren't Wild fans who watch him play, do get a warped sense of his play, both good and bad.
Sure I agree with you on that, I've said it myself. My critisism, however, doesn't lie solely on my "Granlund-glasses", altough I obviously have have them on. I think Yeo has had great inconsistency on where he puts Granlund. After the first two games he should've moved him on the wing... But no. And after that, a rollercoaster for Granlund, no matter how he's played.

I'd like to see him as a winger in offensive system where he doesn't have to just dump and chase it all the time.

Him sucking on the PP is true, btw, which has been really surprising for me. Might have something to do with his lower than usual self confidence.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:29 AM
Sportserie

I don't want Granlund to leave. He belongs on this team and in a state that is as close to Finland in weather, people, as you're going to get. He needs to stay. IF anything, Yeo needs to go. Yeo better figure out how to utilize Granlund.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:30 AM
Ville231

Here are the #9 picks from earlier years:

Jared Cowen 2009
Josh Bailey 2008
Logan Couture 2007
James Sheppard 2006
Brian Lee 2005
Ladislav Smid 2004
Dion Phaneuf 2003
Petr Taticek 2002
Tuomo Ruutu 2001
Brent Krahn 2000

Out of these guys only Ruutu, Phaneuf & Couture have had success in the NHL thus far. Thats 30 % of all those players.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:47 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That's a very small sample size.

I think Granlund gets sent down because obviously he doesn't have the coach's trust. Fourth line and healthy scratch for, what, the last 5-6 games? You don't have your top prospect on the bench and the press box for three weeks in a row. Send him down for a couple weeks and call him back up like they did with Coyle.

Outside chance that he gets a top six wing spot. Honestly Konopka has been good for his role and never really needed to sit out games. Brodz and Cullen have been fine at center. Koivu's not going anywhere. And with Heatley looking like death, maybe Granny gets a top wing spot. He's worth a shot there.

Will be pretty ticked if he goes back to fourth line C though.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:03 AM
Gabranth
#19 #88

I told you so. He'll be trade within 2 years. Nice to see you have to hate people with different opinion, and I was always right....

I don't like the way he is playing. Seems like the size really is a difference maker for him. He's always out cold.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:10 AM
Ville231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabranth View Post
I told you so. He'll be trade within 2 years. Nice to see you have to hate people with different opinion, and I was always right....

I don't like the way he is playing. Seems like the size really is a difference maker for him. He's always out cold.
Please, just go home. Your case is invalid. Granlund has been ok, he'll be better next season. Now he just needs some ice time (Houston) to adjust better.

The point of my earlier post was that people expect too much from a #9 pick, just give him a break. Its pretty rare that #9 picks contribute in their first NHL season.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:58 AM
Dee Oh Cee

My GOD.....holy ****.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:03 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabranth View Post

Where do you live?

Old
02-24-2013, 12:52 PM
Opado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
Where do you live?
Tbh. Granlund have some trade value atm. So trade would be good. Hopefully to a team who knows what to do with him.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:57 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Granlund hasn't been that bad, not in comparison to the rest of the damned team. He's made his mistakes, but he does seem to be learning at a pretty good rate, and I personally have faith that he will figure his **** out.

Part of the problem this year is that he is not being used properly, and that is completely on the coaching staff.

WE're not going to trade him, and he's not going to be a bust. As if there has never been a rookie before who needed a little time to adapt to this league, please...

Old
02-24-2013, 01:02 PM
Kellyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhinn View Post
Yeo sucks as a coach, that's for sure, but MiG's play does not warrant a top 2 role right now, and he has done absolutely nothing on the PP all season. Send him down, make him bathe in a bowl of roids in the summer, and let's see what he can do next season....
Don´t agree with the bolded part but the other part totally. Granlund has been extremely inconsistent and at times a liability to his team- no way you can pin that on Yeo not giving him more time, who the hell would. It´s not the lack of flashy plays from Granlund, it´s the bad plays and mistakes that cost the team.

Having said that, the guy just turned 20 years old. He might need a year or two just to bulk up and be able to play in this league. Looking back, obviously the expectations were too high on him making immediate impact as a high draft pick. Then again you got a undrafted guy who is 5ft 7 in leading the rookie scoring with PPG production. You never really know how these guys turn out and who makes it.

Closed Thread