HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Will Gryba stay?

Old
02-24-2013, 07:34 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

vCash: 500
Will Gryba stay?

How is he playing right now? With the injury bug, will he be a regular on the blueline until the end of the season? Looking at his stats, he seems to be very involved all around...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:57 AM
CarknerCountry

Gryba and Wier if not dealt shouldnt see the AHL anymore

Methot Karlsson
Wier Cowen
Gryba Phillips

CarknerCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:01 AM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
He should stay. He has been awesome so far... Him and Methot have played very well...

Next year I could see

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Gryba
Phillips-Weircoch

Or
Cowen-Karlsson
Methot-Gryba
Phillips-Weircoch

2nd pairing either way will have a ton of size.

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:15 AM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

vCash: 605
His ice time has increased quite a bit since his first game:

Feb. 16 - 16:25
Feb. 18 - 20:11
Feb. 19 - 20:18
Feb. 21 - 22:16
Feb. 23 - 22:01

I think he should stay.

SixthSens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:56 AM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Based on Stache's post game comments he's doing well so he's staying. He's not a serious offensive threat but he's a big man who can handle the tough board play, he skates pretty well and can make hits. He's no Karlsson but he's not competing with him either. We need a guy like him on that side to fill some tough defensive minutes. The fact he's a natural right hand shot playing his side is a bonus.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:15 AM
c_mak

Send a message via MSN to c_mak
He stays he has played his way onto the team.

c_mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman View Post
Based on Stache's post game comments he's doing well so he's staying. He's not a serious offensive threat but he's a big man who can handle the tough board play, he skates pretty well and can make hits. He's no Karlsson but he's not competing with him either. We need a guy like him on that side to fill some tough defensive minutes. The fact he's a natural right hand shot playing his side is a bonus.
I believe MacLean used one word to describe Gryba's play "outstanding".

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:18 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarknerCountry View Post
Gryba and Wier if not dealt shouldnt see the AHL anymore

Methot Karlsson
Wier Cowen
Gryba Phillips
Don't believe either will be traded, however whether or not a trade occurs they are NHL players.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:26 AM
IranCondraAffair

Stay.

A while ago I made a post and to talk about the injuries being a tremendous opportunity for our older prospects like Wiercioch, Grant, Boro, Da Costa, Gryba, (as well as Petersson and Hoffman if they were healthy) to establish and showcase themselves before they're surpassed by younger guys like Noesen, Prince, Puempel, Ceci, Wikstrand, Claesson, etc..

Wiercioch was likely going to make it anyway, but were it not for injuries, Gryba might not have had a legitimate shot at NHL ice-time. If he keeps playing this well, another 20 games, he might be a fixture in the NHL lineup for years to come.

Hell, even if they don't make it in Ottawa, a good showing and there are 29 other teams who might give them an opportunity.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:09 AM
Canuckman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by IranCondraAffair View Post
Stay.

A while ago I made a post and to talk about the injuries being a tremendous opportunity for our older prospects like Wiercioch, Grant, Boro, Da Costa, Gryba, (as well as Petersson and Hoffman if they were healthy) to establish and showcase themselves before they're surpassed by younger guys like Noesen, Prince, Puempel, Ceci, Wikstrand, Claesson, etc..

Wiercioch was likely going to make it anyway, but were it not for injuries, Gryba might not have had a legitimate shot at NHL ice-time. If he keeps playing this well, another 20 games, he might be a fixture in the NHL lineup for years to come.

Hell, even if they don't make it in Ottawa, a good showing and there are 29 other teams who might give them an opportunity.
As of the fall he will be able to be pulled off waivers if he is sent down. Im thinking that many teams would take him for the value of his contract... in a heartbeat.

Canuckman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:20 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Gryba also probably has the hardest clapper from the point with Karlsson out. Really underrated part of his game is just blasting hard shots on net...lead to the Condra goal last night.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:34 AM
H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
I believe MacLean used one word to describe Gryba's play "outstanding".
Coach is clearly infatuated with him right now, reminds me of Carkner when he started with the big club.

I think it's been a good debut for Gryba so far where he's made more good plays than bad. Last night was his best game yet. But I wouldn't pencil him in into our future lineup just yet.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:44 AM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Coaching staff is obviously impressed. Luke has coached him down in Bingo into the next Luke Richardson?

Seeing the minutes he is getting from the coaches of over 20 mins a game is pretty telling. Noteworthy that all the other dmen that got called up before him are getting less TOI/G.

Gryba : 20 mins
Phillips: 19
Lundin: 17
Benoit: 16
Wiercioch: 15
Borocop: 13

Not sure many of us had him penciled in this year. Another organizational developmental success.

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:47 AM
Lonnie Loach

He's an NHL player now. His ability to make clean outlet passes is what has surprised me the most. He's not just a defensive chip it off the glass and out defenseman.

Lonnie Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:54 AM
MiscBrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
Gryba also probably has the hardest clapper from the point with Karlsson out. Really underrated part of his game is just blasting hard shots on net...lead to the Condra goal last night.
Agreed. I was loving his shot last night. I just checked the stats and he led the Sens with 5 SOG. It seems very hard and very accurate. I'd try him out on the PP given the way that it's been struggling.

MiscBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:57 AM
sensageddon

What about Gonchar? Is this guy for sure gone by end of season? I think he is helping this team more than most give him credit for.

Last edited by sensageddon: 02-24-2013 at 11:08 AM.
sensageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Quo
storms in my knees

Quote:
Yup. Kid's got a great shot...

He's been very good for us for the most part. He stays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensageddon View Post
What about Gonchar? .... I think he is helping this young team more than most give him credit for.
QFT

Hard to say if he'll return at his age. Nothing official either way yet.

Quo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:26 PM
sens83

vCash: 50
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quo View Post

He's been very good for us for the most part. He stays.

QFT

Hard to say if he'll return at his age. Nothing official either way yet.
We call him "The Hammer" down on the farm in Bingo. Nothing like having Gryba "Bring the Hammer"..

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

vCash: 920
He's been very solid. Couple of bad pinches and turnovers, but that is to be expected for a first time NHLer. I think him/Lundin/Benoit/Wiercioch will continue to rotate in the lineup.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:41 PM
18Hossa

vCash: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quo View Post

Main?

18Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:49 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
If he keeps playing like this, hes going no where.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Bileur

The play of Gryba, Wiercioch and Benoit have really made the Lundin signing look unnecessary.

I don't see how they can send him down if he keeps it up, he's playing excellent hockey.

I think the defensive depth is set. Karlsson, Methot and Cowen are the makings of a good top 4. We can easily put together a bottom pair from Gryba, Benoit, Wiercioch and Borowiecki. I'd be more comfortable signing an offensive/puck moving top 4 vet to a short term contract while Wiercioch develops, and then running with the youth. Someone suggested Streit in another thread, that would be a good fit and would be a gem on the PP with Karlsson (he can tee up one timers and has a good shot).

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Streit
Wiercioch-Gryba
Benoit (Borowiecki first call up)

That's a young group but i'd be ok going into the season with it.

All of these young guys stepping up is making me wonder how much Phillips has left in the tank. He has not exactly been consistent this season and is getting up there in age. Does he get another contract after the current one expires in 2014? Does he get moved or retire before then? Does having him around prompt us to move one of these young guys in a trade?

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Wiercioch
Phillips-Gryba

This second option also looks good too, but the puck movement and PP options are suspect.

If we sign a top 4 defenseman and keep Phillips we're going to need to move one of these young guys or they will start losing value/be a wasted asset.

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Streit
Phillips-Wiercioch/Gryba (whichever is not moved)

That's a pretty impressive defense.

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:15 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
He needs to resimplify his game. He was playing great when he first came up, I found him OK/Good live against the Rangers and very sloppy against T.O. Great his first few games. He needs to concentrate on making solid touches on the puck, if he starts doing that I think he will be able to keep playing a #4 role.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:30 PM
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls

Yeah I'm with Bileur, sort of - I don't see how they can send him down if he keeps up his play.

Tubby Tuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:43 PM
playasRus

Yup. Guys like Gonchar and soon Phillips are getting to be less effective as players but having htem around is still necessary to show these guys how it needs to be done for them to be the best players they are. No Gonchar would've meant players like Karlsson would've probably developped differently and maybe not as well.

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote