HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winger Acquisition Thread | Part V: Wingers in the Hands of an Angry (Hockey) God

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 10:31 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
If Geno remains out for a few weeks and Kunitz-Sid-Neal are lighting it up, I think that changes things a little. Especially if Bennett shows he's ready to stay here in a top 6 role, I'd go after Kulemin and the top 6 is set.
I disagree. I think Neal HAS to go back to Geno, regardless of how well KCN does.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:35 AM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Man, that's tough. I don't think that pick would be a first for sure but I am awful at pick trade value. and I really like Bennett and we don't need 8 roster d-men. I don't see us bringing in Regehr without trading a d-man either back to them or in a separate move.

But do that move along with Niskanen for another wing (gonna use Seto as a placeholder don't kill me people )

Pominville - Crosby - Setoguchi
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Glass - Vitale - Adams
Jeffrey

Letang - Despres
Orpik - Martin
Regher - Engo/Bort
Engo/Bort

That is a nice looking hockey team right there
I would do those two deals in a heartbeat if it meant bringing in Setoguchi and Pominville, ease the pain of losing Bennet. But switch up Pominville and Kunitz, Geno wants a right hander and uses them pretty well. But still a great lineup

Old
02-24-2013, 10:37 AM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
If a team came to us and said, we want Despres or Bennett...who do you trade?

I'd choose Despres
That's a toughy, Depres has more value. But even though we're stockpiled with D-assets, none of them have the experience as Depres...but they have a higher potential...and we've scratched Depres for a few games and looked fine...we need forward prospects...yeah I agree, Depres for sure.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:39 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I disagree. I think Neal HAS to go back to Geno, regardless of how well KCN does.
But he won't. I can almost guarantee you, if Crosby and Neal light it up for a period of even a few weeks, Bylsma will "stick with what's working". That said maybe Bennett will have convinced the coaches to keep him around by then and Geno will have Bennett and some decent FA rental on RW to play with, if he comes back in time for the run up to the playoffs.

This is when the coaches will find their excuse to keep Sid and Neal together. Was bound to happen sooner or later. Let's just hope Bylsma doesn't pull a brain fart and try to leave Dupuis with Malkin because that never works. It works with Crosby because of where Crosby earns his living and his style of play. Malkin is a completely different animal and consequently Dupuis is a bad fit on his line.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:39 AM
mpp9

Quote:
We shall see. If Geno's out for awhile, I'm pretty confident DB is not going to have an easy decision to make.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:41 AM
leafspensfan

Quote:
I agree, Malkin doesn't have the ability to adjust his game to the way his wingers play, its the opposite with Sid. Put anyone with Sid and he'll find a way to create chances for them, as we can clearly see.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:41 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
But he won't. I can almost guarantee you, if Crosby and Neal light it up for a period of even a few weeks, Bylsma will "stick with what's working". That said maybe Bennett will have convinced the coaches to keep him around by then and Geno will have Bennett and some decent FA rental on RW to play with, if he comes back in time for the run up to the playoffs.
It's not fair to Geno. But I have a gut feeling that line is going to consistently dominate teams and bring the best out of each player. Neal has been playing lazy hockey this year with Geno, putting him on a line with Sid playing north/south and having consistent zone time should help him get back to his puck hawk ways.

If Geno's out for awhile, it's not going to be easy for DB to choose his lineup when he comes back.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:44 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
I agree, Malkin doesn't have the ability to adjust his game to the way his wingers play, its the opposite with Sid. Put anyone with Sid and he'll find a way to create chances for them, as we can clearly see.
Geno needs a consistent board battler and defensive presence. Get him Kulemin and have Benett or Kunitz on the other side and he'll have everything he needs to dominate in the postseason.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:52 AM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Geno needs a consistent board battler and defensive presence. Get him Kulemin and have Benett or Kunitz on the other side and he'll have everything he needs to dominate in the postseason.
Hopefully, they can pot goals though

Old
02-24-2013, 11:14 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Well, curiously enough, if you ever did see KCN, then Ray Shero would have another option . . . he could just get Malkin two wingers at the deadline . . . you know, like he SHOULD have done for Sid last year when KMN killed it and you knew the pickings would undo the Pens if Shero didn't make a move.

Quote:
Malkin needs that more than he needs Neal. He needed Malone more than he needed Sykora. He was floundering, relatively speaking, after DB became coach EXCEPT when he got Talbot and Talbot morphed into Malone 2.0. And, since then, he's been floundering, relatively speaking and even with Neal, except when Kunitz was on the other wing.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:16 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Well, curiously enough, if you ever did see KCN, then Ray Shero would have another option . . . he could just get Malkin two wingers at the deadline . . . you know, like he SHOULD have done for Sid last year when KMN killed it and you knew the pickings would undo the Pens if Shero didn't make a move.
I just think it sets a bad precedent. Neal and Geno work together. I know you'll say they only work because of Neal's shot and he doesn't really bring anything else to that line, but I just don't think we should be losing toys due to injury. Just like I didn't think Crosby should lose Kunitz - whom he has great chemistry with - because he had his brain damaged.

I also don't think it's a good idea to throw Geno into a situation where you have two new line mates and are forced to develop chemistry on the fly during a short season. The ONLY way it works is if one of those guys is EXACTLY Nicolai Kulemin, and I still don't see that happening.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

If Neal plays better next to Sid, he should stay with Sid. Its really that simple imo. Put players in positions that give the team the best chance to win. At that point, I'd try Kunitz with Geno when he gets back. I still think - when Geno and Sid are healthy - Neal and Kunitz need to be split up until we have another wing capable of being the number 2 guy on a line. I agree with KIRK; Geno might need that board battler more than he needs the shooter.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:25 AM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
What Shero needed to bring in was a defensive adjustments last trade deadline

So we've spent so much time talking about wingers that would fit Sid, but if KCN becomes a permanent line then who are some players that would best fit Geno other than Kulemin?

Old
02-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Saints11

Rageher isn't bad, but would rather have Douglas Murray from San Jose, a cheaper version of much the same thing

Last edited by Saints11: 02-24-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old
02-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
NYI will make Reasoner, Bailey, Aucoin, Boulton and OKposo avail at the deadline
The only two I'd have any interest in whatsoever are Bailey and Okposo. The other three are AHLers/trash.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post

So we've spent so much time talking about wingers that would fit Sid, but if KCN becomes a permanent line then who are some players that would best fit Geno other than Kulemin?
Stempniak? Pominville? Stewart? Malone? Stafford? Iginla? I don't think the need changes much no matter who we are looking for the guy to play with.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:33 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints11 View Post
Rage her isn't bad, but would rather have Douglas Murray from San Jose, a cheaper version of much the same thing
depends on the asset cost really. I don't think Cap is an issue at all for a rental.

Old
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

The collective panicking of their respective fan bases has me really wanting Okposo and Pominville, even though I know neither will happen

Old
cheesedanish87

Quote:
I just think it sets a bad precedent. Neal and Geno work together. I know you'll say they only work because of Neal's shot and he doesn't really bring anything else to that line, but I just don't think we should be losing toys due to injury. Just like I didn't think Crosby should lose Kunitz - whom he has great chemistry with - because he had his brain damaged.

I also don't think it's a good idea to throw Geno into a situation where you have two new line mates and are forced to develop chemistry on the fly during a short season. The ONLY way it works is if one of those guys is EXACTLY Nicolai Kulemin, and I still don't see that happening.
Ya I agree geno and neal need to stay together no matter how good sid/neal do. It really sucks that geno got hurt now and i know it was only 1 game but it looked like that line was gonna start to get going with BB on it.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:34 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post

Malone, Umberger, Morrow, McGinn, Glencross. O'Reilly as the out of left field idea. If he can transition to wing, then he'd bring alot of what Geno needs.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:36 AM
leafspensfan

I posted this on a thread, how does it sound?

To Pittsburgh:
Pominville
Foligno
Mark Mancari

To Buffalo:
1st round pick
3rd round pick
Tyler Kennedy
Matt Niskanen

Does Buffalo bite in your opinion?

Old
02-24-2013, 11:36 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
The collective panicking of their respective fan bases has me really wanting Okposo and Pominville, even though I know neither will happen
that would be awesome. do it Shero.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:38 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:

To Pittsburgh:
Pominville
Foligno
Mark Mancari

To Buffalo:
1st round pick
3rd round pick
Tyler Kennedy
Matt Niskanen

No. They aren't dealing Foligno. He's part of the future.

Just focus on Pominville, maybe Regehr

Old
02-24-2013, 11:38 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:

To Pittsburgh:
Pominville
Foligno
Mark Mancari

To Buffalo:
1st round pick
3rd round pick
Tyler Kennedy
Matt Niskanen

can't see them moving Foligno without big overpayment. Replace him with Regehr and turn our picks into a d prospect and we might have something. I have no clue who Mark Mancari is btw

Old
02-24-2013, 11:40 AM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
can't see them moving Foligno without big overpayment
Quote:
No. They aren't dealing Foligno. He's part of the future.

Just focus on Pominville, maybe Regehr
So if we were to use my proposal as a base, and we take out Foligno and slot in Regher, would that proposal still stand or would we have to add?

Closed Thread