HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grabovski in the shutdown role

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-24-2013, 10:39 AM
  #26
MildlyAwesome
Rational Leaf Fan
 
MildlyAwesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 954
vCash: 500
The truth is, Grabovski and Kulemin have been pretty poor this year overall.

Kadri has come in and outplayed both. I'd rather give Kadri, Lupul and Frattin when they come back.

Truth be told, if I had a choice of Bozak or Grabovski, I'd take Bozak and trade Grabovski.

MildlyAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:44 AM
  #27
Ash35
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 754
vCash: 500
I think it's time to trade Garbo and that should be no problem for Nonis since he took a "Discount" to stay here.

Ash35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:47 AM
  #28
Igy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Igy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,987
vCash: 500
When healthy assuming no roster changes:

JVR-Grabovski-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Frattin
Komarov-Bozak-Kulemin
Orr-McClement-Brown

Solid top 6 for scoring, shutdown 3rd line and grinding 4th line.

Igy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:47 AM
  #29
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER
 
cup67's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: TORONTO
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash35 View Post
I think it's time to trade Garbo and that should be no problem for Nonis since he took a "Discount" to stay here.
trade grabo, than go get ROR, 2ND LINE CENTER.

cup67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:51 AM
  #30
Ash35
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MildlyAwesome View Post
The truth is, Grabovski and Kulemin have been pretty poor this year overall.

'.
It's not Kulemin's fault his friend died a couple a couple of years ago. He needs time to grieve.

Ash35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:54 AM
  #31
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash35 View Post
It's not Kulemin fault his friend died a couple a couple of years ago. He needs time to grieve.
This type of comment was better kept to yourself.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:55 AM
  #32
The Blue Devil
Registered User
 
The Blue Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash35 View Post
It's not Kulemin's fault his friend died a couple a couple of years ago. He needs time to grieve.
Still gonna go with that excuse? Yes, what happened sucks and it hurts, but you can't use it as an excuse a 1 1/2 after it happened. Other players around the league who knew some of those guys are playing just fine.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:56 AM
  #33
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
Grabo in a shut-down role also provides a scoring threat. It would help if he had some offensive wingers to help him out in that regard. His line was dominant when JVR was playing with him.
Same excuses. Without relying on the overused he is a shut down centre reasoning. Is any of these points untrue.

1. He is not a good enough puck distributer to play with Kessel and JVR, so he cannot play on the 1st line.

2. He is not as good offensively as Kadri is, Kadri unlike Grabo is a playmaker that has made Frattin and Macarthur better players.

3. Grabo is not a prototypical shutdown C, I can count 3 games already off the top of my head that he has cost this team this year, 2 games against the Staal brothers, Eric, Jordan, and Marc.

4. If last night was one of his better games, than -2 and his line not shutting down the opposition was proof he is only doing his job at a fairly unreliable rate.

Point is, it is becoming very obvious, Grabo and his 5.5M are becoming a liability on this team.

When a better option becomes available, Nonis and now probably RC whose patience is starting to wear thin with Grabo will be shipped out. It is pretty clear there is no fit for him here as a #1C or a #2 C that replaces Kadri.

As I stated all along, he is a good #2C on a weak team, when we get better he will no longer be of use to this team. We are starting to see this this year.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:56 AM
  #34
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER
 
cup67's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: TORONTO
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash35 View Post
It's not Kulemin's fault his friend died a couple a couple of years ago. He needs time to grieve.
did he stop grieving when he played in russia, than stated again when he got here

cup67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:57 AM
  #35
The Blue Devil
Registered User
 
The Blue Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Same excuses. Without relying on the overused he is a shut down centre reasoning. Is any of these points untrue.

1. He is not a good enough puck distributer to play with Kessel and JVR, so he cannot play on the 1st line.

2. He is not as good offensively as Kadri is, Kadri unlike Grabo is a playmaker that has made Frattin and Macarthur better players.

3. Grabo is not a prototypical shutdown C, I can count 3 games already off the top of my head that he has cost this team this year, 2 games against the Staal brothers, Eric, Jordan, and Marc.

4. If last night was one of his better games, than -2 and his line not shutting down the opposition was proof he is only doing his job at a fairly unreliable rate.

Point is, it is becoming very obvious, Grabo and his 5.5M are becoming a liability on this team.

When a better option becomes available, Nonis and now probably RC whose patience is starting to wear thin with Grabo will be shipped out. It is pretty clear there is no fit for him here as a #1C or a #2 C that replaces Kadri.

As I stated all along, he is a good #2C on a weak team, when we get better he will no longer be of use to this team. We are starting to see this this year.
You say he can't play with JVR, yet some of his best games were when he was playing with JVR.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:58 AM
  #36
Ash35
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
did he stop grieving when he played in russia, than stated again when he got here
Apparently.

Ash35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:00 AM
  #37
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
You say he can't play with JVR, yet some of his best games were when he was playing with JVR.
He's got a total of 3 assists this year, how many were to JVR?

Really the logic of putting Kessel with a black hole like Grabo will stunt any offensive creativity this line has developed.

Grabo isn't a playmaking Center, he simply does not possess this skill set, and at 29 he is not going to suddenly develop it now.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:00 AM
  #38
Ash35
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
Still gonna go with that excuse? Yes, what happened sucks and it hurts, but you can't use it as an excuse a 1 1/2 after it happened. Other players around the league who knew some of those guys are playing just fine.
And it wasn't a good excuse last season either. If it really was effecting him that much, he should of took time away from the game.

Ash35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:00 AM
  #39
The Blue Devil
Registered User
 
The Blue Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Same excuses. Without relying on the overused he is a shut down centre reasoning. Is any of these points untrue.

1. He is not a good enough puck distributer to play with Kessel and JVR, so he cannot play on the 1st line.

2. He is not as good offensively as Kadri is, Kadri unlike Grabo is a playmaker that has made Frattin and Macarthur better players.

3. Grabo is not a prototypical shutdown C, I can count 3 games already off the top of my head that he has cost this team this year, 2 games against the Staal brothers, Eric, Jordan, and Marc.

4. If last night was one of his better games, than -2 and his line not shutting down the opposition was proof he is only doing his job at a fairly unreliable rate.

Point is, it is becoming very obvious, Grabo and his 5.5M are becoming a liability on this team.

When a better option becomes available, Nonis and now probably RC whose patience is starting to wear thin with Grabo will be shipped out. It is pretty clear there is no fit for him here as a #1C or a #2 C that replaces Kadri.

As I stated all along, he is a good #2C on a weak team, when we get better he will no longer be of use to this team. We are starting to see this this year.
And, really? You can only count 3 times in 18 games where he missed an assignment, then that's pretty good. I could probably count at least 3 times a game where he made a great play to save a goal.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:03 AM
  #40
The Blue Devil
Registered User
 
The Blue Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
He's got a total of 3 assists this year, how many were to JVR?

Really the logic of putting Kessel with a black hole like Grabo will stunt any offensive creativity this line has developed.

Grabo isn't a playmaking Center, he simply does not possess this skill set, and at 29 he is not going to suddenly develop it now.
LOL, and Bozak is an offensive juggernaut? I know you don't like to actually watch the games, but he and Kessel have had great shifts this season alone in the short times they've been out together on a line change.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:07 AM
  #41
BonMorrison
Sexy Back
 
BonMorrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,484
vCash: 500
Excluding last game, here's the list I put together just for reference - it's not perfect but it gives some idea of the effectiveness of that line 5 on 5 (note these are goals against:

Quote:
Komarov/McClement - Grabovski - Kulemin (goals agianst)

I made a very brief list of how our shutdown line is playing 5 on 5.
I've paired them again the line that they were tasked to shutdown and see how they fared.

Jan. 19th - Leafs @ Canadiens - W (2 - 1)

Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta
5 on 5 ES goals - 0

Jan. 21st - Sabres @ Leafs - L (2 - 1)

Vanek - Hodgson - Pominville
5 on 5 ES goals - 2

Jan. 23rd - Leafs @ Penguins - W (5 - 2)

Tangradi - Malkin - Neal
5 on 5 ES goals - 0

Jan. 24th - Islanders @ Leafs - L (7 - 4)

Moulson - Tavares - Okposo
5 on 5 ES goals - 2

Jan. 26th - Leafs @ Rangers - L (2 - 5)

Nash - Richards - Gaborik
5 on 5 ES goals - 3

Jan. 29th - Leafs @ Sabres - W (4 - 3)

Vanek - Hodgson - Pominville
5 on 5 ES goals - 0

Jan. 31st - Capitals @ Leafs - W (2 - 3)

Ovechkin - Beagle - Crabb
5 on 5 ES goals - 0

Feb. 2nd - Bruins @ Leafs - L (1 - 0)

Lucic - Krejci - Horton
5 on 5 ES goals - 0

Feb. 4th - Hurricanes @ Leafs - L (4 - 1)

Dwyer - Staal - Skinner
5 on 5 ES goals - 2

Feb. 5th - Leafs @ Capitals - W (3 - 2)

Ovechkin - Ribiero - Brouwer
5 on 5 ES goals - 0

Feb. 7th - Leafs @ Jets - W (3 - 2)

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
5 on 5 ES goals - 1

Feb. 9th - Leafs @ Canadiens - W (6 - 0)

Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta
5 on 5 ES goals - 0

Feb. 11th - Flyers @ Leafs - W (2 - 5)

Simmonds - Giroux - Read
5 on 5 ES goals - 1

Feb. 14th - Leafs @ Hurricanes - L (1 - 3)

Tlusty - Staal - Semin
5 on 5 ES goals - 1

Feb. 16th - Senators @ Leafs - W (0 - 3)

Zibanejad - Turris - Alfredsson
5 on 5 ES goals - 0

Feb. 18th - Leafs @ Panthers - W (0 - 3)

Fleischmann - Weiss - Kopecky
5 on 5 ES goals - 0

Feb. 19th - Leafs @ Lightning - L (2 - 4)

Conacher - Stamkos - Purcell
5 on 5 ES goals - 1

Feb. 21st - Sabres @ Leafs - W (1 - 3)

Vanek - Hodgson - Pominville
5 on 5 ES goals - 0
People can feel free to use their noggins to draw up their own conclusions from this whether positive or negative. I can see both.


Last edited by BonMorrison: 02-24-2013 at 11:16 AM.
BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:08 AM
  #42
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
And, really? You can only count 3 times in 18 games where he missed an assignment, then that's pretty good. I could probably count at least 3 times a game where he made a great play to save a goal.
He's been bad most of the year, remember his 1 point in 10 games? Remember he only scored in 3 games this year before the start of this week? If I can knock off 3 games off the top of my head that Grabo has lost us, imagine if we dug deeper. I don't know what you are saying here, want to share with us?

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:10 AM
  #43
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
LOL, and Bozak is an offensive juggernaut? I know you don't like to actually watch the games, but he and Kessel have had great shifts this season alone in the short times they've been out together on a line change.
Let me guess you want to put an offensive black hole with our 2 best offensive wingers? To prop up his stats...I guess you have just conceded Grabo has cost us more than 3 games as a shutdown C.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:13 AM
  #44
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
Excluding last game, here's the list I put together just for reference - it's not perfect but it gives some idea of the effectiveness of that line 5 on 5:
It will be interesting what RC does to the shutdown line when Frattin and Lupul come back, someone will have to sit, it doesn't take a genius RC hasn't been happy with Grabo this year.

He may start using Bozak and Mcclement more. Bozie always leafs our Center's in ice time, and Mcclement is one of his favs.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:19 AM
  #45
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Air Canada Center
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,011
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Let me guess you want to put an offensive black hole with our 2 best offensive wingers? To prop up his stats...I guess you have just conceded Grabo has cost us more than 3 games as a shutdown C.
you are still talking...

it can be the other way around... kessel and JVR can lift grabo's offensive game, kulie has not been offensive for the past 2 years (still love him tho), and jay and leo are not offensive guys... put him with two top scorers and see what happens.

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:21 AM
  #46
The Blue Devil
Registered User
 
The Blue Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
He's been bad most of the year, remember his 1 point in 10 games? Remember he only scored in 3 games this year before the start of this week? If I can knock off 3 games off the top of my head that Grabo has lost us, imagine if we dug deeper. I don't know what you are saying here, want to share with us?
Would you also like to share who was on his line? How many time are people going to have to point out that Grabo is NOT put in a position to put up points? You keep ignoring the fact that he's always put out in the defensive zone. Would I like him to produce more, of course. I would also like his line-mates to provide a little more offensive support as well.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:22 AM
  #47
The Blue Devil
Registered User
 
The Blue Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Let me guess you want to put an offensive black hole with our 2 best offensive wingers? To prop up his stats...I guess you have just conceded Grabo has cost us more than 3 games as a shutdown C.
Grabo, when paired with players that know how to play offensive, puts up points. If Bozak were in Grabo's place he'd probably have even less points.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:24 AM
  #48
The Blue Devil
Registered User
 
The Blue Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
you are still talking...

it can be the other way around... kessel and JVR can lift grabo's offensive game, kulie has not been offensive for the past 2 years (still love him tho), and jay and leo are not offensive guys... put him with two top scorers and see what happens.
I swear, I think he thinks that Bozak is what makes that top line click.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:25 AM
  #49
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
you are still talking...

it can be the other way around... kessel and JVR can lift grabo's offensive game, kulie has not been offensive for the past 2 years (still love him tho), and jay and leo are not offensive guys... put him with two top scorers and see what happens.
RC will put players where he feels is best for the team, not to prop up individuals.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:26 AM
  #50
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
Would you also like to share who was on his line? How many time are people going to have to point out that Grabo is NOT put in a position to put up points? You keep ignoring the fact that he's always put out in the defensive zone. Would I like him to produce more, of course. I would also like his line-mates to provide a little more offensive support as well.
His role was to shut down last night, and he failed.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.