HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No Suspension for Max Pacioretty

Old
02-24-2013, 11:02 AM
habfaninvictoria

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
Ranger fan here... but I like to feel that I can be objective...

1. No way in hell was that a clean hit. That hit is the very definition of boarding. He turned into it a bit, but it wasn't one of those ridiculous calls you sometimes see where the guy is completely sideways and completely turns at the last second.

2. He was obviously running him in retaliation, but I'm not going to sit here and say that he was trying to kill him and dramatize it. These are men - you get hit, then you want to throw a hit back. He went overboard, but I don't think he was looking to break the guys neck.

3. If McDonagh gets right back on the ice then there is no hearing.

4. If there are no priors then I think a suspension is too much - with priors I think 1 or 2 games is fair - anything more is ridiculous. I think it was more or less a straight boarding play. It was bad, but nothing crazy.

Not to criticize you guys - we are the same way - it's funny how every fanbase thinks there team is unfairly targeted. I don't think any teams fans think they are treated fairly.

*I honestly think that his intention was just to throw a hard hit, but he went overboard. It is what it is.

Edit: One last point. Guys blaming McDonagh for not shying away? You don't want your players to take a hit to make a play? It's the hitters responsibility to hold up a bit - not crush every guy whose back is to the boards and say 'they should have known they were going to get hit and moved.' If this was Asham crushing Subban then would you honestly be saying.. 'Well, gee... Subban was going to play the puck, but he should have known Asham was bhind him so I think it's Subbans fault.'
No one is saying he should shy away, but let's be real here. McDo hung a sharp left turn with his shoulder down. I'm not sure how Pax could have held up. It works two ways if you don't want McDo to shy away, how can you punish Pax for not shying away in a situation where it's the other player who clearly put himself in a vulnerable position.

I agree with some of your sentiment, but let's not pretend you can be impartial. In your first point you say he turns into it (BTW it's more than a bit), but not at last second. By this statement you confirm what we all know, he saw Patches coming but decided to turn into him. Case closed. Can't possibly suspend a guy for a hockey play. This play happens every game, if McDo clears around the far boards and continues skating the worst that happens is a glancing blow. He decides (or it's your system) to play the puck against the flow of traffic... bad things happen when you do that and your name is not Gretzky.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:04 AM
MauditGreek*
Shhh, Be Careful!

Not Suspension worthy but suspended nonetheless

Some people just have the deck stacked against them, no matter how hard they work, how much they persevere, they will always get the short end of the stick.

Unfortunately it appears as though Max Pac is one of those players. Plays the game the way it should be played and incurs the wrath of the NHL, while many other payers do the same if not worse and get commended for it.

I am just worried that after this suspension he will not be the same player, remember after his first suspension (which was a borderline to begin with imo) he was afraid to hit anyone. this time I am afraid his fear of "playing hockey" will last longer.

Get the impression that he will become a perimeter player who doesn't hit anyone and will become an easy target for opposing players to take runs at because of his "record"

Hope I am wrong...

MauditGreek* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:08 AM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Schenn on Gallagher does not get a hearing but this does ?
As much as I hate to admit this, this does suck. Pac is guilty even if it won't be a serious punishment. But if you call this for a meeting with Shanny than you have to call the Schenn on Gally hit.

Some call it double standards, I just call it inconsistancy

disturbedraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:13 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Borderline boarding. Whether it is or not, I still consider it a strong hockey play. McDonagh was going all Giroux or Malkin, skill player thinking he could kick us in the nuts time after time again. Well, now he'll learn to soften up against us.

Pacioretty DID NOT leave his feet and McDonagh was already close to the boards.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:16 AM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauditGreek View Post
Some people just have the deck stacked against them, no matter how hard they work, how much they persevere, they will always get the short end of the stick.

Unfortunately it appears as though Max Pac is one of those players. Plays the game the way it should be played and incurs the wrath of the NHL, while many other payers do the same if not worse and get commended for it.

I am just worried that after this suspension he will not be the same player, remember after his first suspension (which was a borderline to begin with imo) he was afraid to hit anyone. this time I am afraid his fear of "playing hockey" will last longer.

Get the impression that he will become a perimeter player who doesn't hit anyone and will become an easy target for opposing players to take runs at because of his "record"

Hope I am wrong...
He will probably get a fine, or one game at the worst which he would not have if he didn't jump into McD. He cold have crushed him without the jump.

I like MaxPac. I think he is a real good player. Even real good players get carried away sometimes.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:16 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

20 game suspension. There's just no way any Habs can injure or fight people. We have to be the ragdolls...not the other way around. League isn't ready for this.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:24 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
No one is saying he should shy away, but let's be real here. McDo hung a sharp left turn with his shoulder down. I'm not sure how Pax could have held up. It works two ways if you don't want McDo to shy away, how can you punish Pax for not shying away in a situation where it's the other player who clearly put himself in a vulnerable position.

I agree with some of your sentiment, but let's not pretend you can be impartial. In your first point you say he turns into it (BTW it's more than a bit), but not at last second. By this statement you confirm what we all know, he saw Patches coming but decided to turn into him. Case closed. Can't possibly suspend a guy for a hockey play. This play happens every game, if McDo clears around the far boards and continues skating the worst that happens is a glancing blow. He decides (or it's your system) to play the puck against the flow of traffic... bad things happen when you do that and your name is not Gretzky.
I'm agreeing that he didn't intend to injure him. I'm agreeing that I wouldn't suspend him. I just think he will be suspended bc he has a prior and there was an injury.

This vulnerable position though is utter BS. He was skating straight back to get the puck - you act as if the guy did a 360 at the last possible second. You think Paccioretty wasn't looking for an opportunity to crush him? Of course he was - I'm not even saying that's a wrong outlook. He just went overboard. A straight hockey play? Are you kidding me? Mcdonagh didn't shy away from going to get the puck - ok, then you know what? Let's bash everybody whose vulnerable head first into the boards - it's their fault - they should know better! Of course Paccioretty couldn't hold up - he had no idea where Mcdonagh was going - you know - straight at the puck.

It was a bad hit no matter how you want to phrase it - but it was a straight boarding call - nothing more.

I can't be impartial? My team hasn't won a game since Lucic crushed Rick Nash head into the boards. Some people on our board want his head. I'll tell you what I told them - clean, hard check.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:24 AM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prallchengher View Post
Borderline boarding. Whether it is or not, I still consider it a strong hockey play. McDonagh was going all Giroux or Malkin, skill player thinking he could kick us in the nuts time after time again. Well, now he'll learn to soften up against us.

Pacioretty DID NOT leave his feet and McDonagh was already close to the boards.
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

He did not leave his feet? This picture begs to differ.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Nicko999

vCash: 50
He should get a fine but nothing more.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post

That picture is after the initial contact. Of course he left his feet after the hit, that's Newton's Third Law of Physics.

Based on what has generally been called, it shouldn't be a suspension. Based on what I think it should be called it is a suspension. But with Shanaban its always a crapshoot.

Captain Smurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:32 AM
E = CH²

Quote:

That's retarded. It's the bump that occurs after the hit.

This picture says it all :

When Pacioretty touches McDo, his two skates are firmly standing on the ice.

This jumping crap is mad **** crazy and completely delusional. What the eff is wrong with people.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:33 AM
Moen in Glory
@MoeninGlory

Quote:

And in this similar case, the red car's front wheel went up in the air BEFORE impact

Moen in Glory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:34 AM
Picaroon

Quote:

Um.... pretty sure you need to leave your feet before the hit. Get a picture of the point of contact then we can make a decision. That picture tells nothing.

Picaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:

You're free to leave your feet after initial contact. That has always been the case.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PricePkPatch

Quote:

Funny. Seeing the magnificent pose of McDonagh, I'd think that this picture was being taken DURING the hit. Not BEFORE.

And, last time we check, it's not illegal to leave your feet (what a funny idiom when you think about it) during the hit. Actually, it's often expected to happen most of the time; simple elastic force at work.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:36 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:

That's after initial contact. I can show you pictures from hits that no one got hurt where players leave their feet after initial contact.

However, that pictures does show that the head is the initial point of contact, so that's good for Pacioretty's case. Should still land him 1-2 games.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:37 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

The amount of ******** in the Rangers board PGT is off the charts regarding this issue.

They're acting as if he were a regular Matt Cooke out there. :S

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:38 AM
shutehinside

Quote:

That pic is AFTER the hit was delivered. You're allowed to and expected to follow though on a hit or it wouldn't be effective. It's illegal to leave your feet BEFORE the hit.

It sucks to have a key player get injured but pax did t hit him illegally. It was a hard hit and had McD braced himself and not turned his back to Pax a moment before the hit, he'd have finished the game and that would have been that.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:39 AM
PhysicX

After having watched the video a couple of more times, I say the NHL will have enough evidence to stick 3-4 games on Pacioretty.

Retaliation (intent), left his feet during the hit, recidivist, concussion (injury).

Cannot wait to hear Shanahan!

PhysicX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:39 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
The amount of ******** in the Rangers board PGT is off the charts regarding this issue.

They're acting as if he were a regular Matt Cooke out there. :S
I love the guys saying it was classless of PK to take a slap shot that hurt Girardi but didn't mention the Bickle gutless hit on Gally that caused the penalty to begin with.

Rags...

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:42 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post
After having watched the video a couple of more times, I say the NHL will have enough evidence to stick 3-4 games on Pacioretty.

Retaliation (intent), left his feet during the hit, recidivist, concussion (injury).

If they actually use this as an argument, it means the Rangers will be forced to play without McDo for 7 days due to Concussion Protocol, no?

Also, he did not lift his feet of the ice before the hit. It's wasn't a jump in, it was a jump-out.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Funny. Seeing the magnificent pose of McDonagh, I'd think that this picture was being taken DURING the hit. Not BEFORE.

And, last time we check, it's not illegal to leave your feet (what a funny idiom when you think about it) during the hit. Actually, it's often expected to happen most of the time; simple elastic force at work.
Either that or McDonagh was smashing his own face into the glass while Pacioretty took a flying leap into him.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:44 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post

Has anyone been suspended for something like that? Even though I'm sure he didn't go easy on McD knowing that he boarded him prior, there really isn't any way to actually prove such a claim.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:45 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
FFS, he finished his check just like Schenn finished his on BGally or just like Lucic finished his on Nash. McD even turned as he saw Pac coming. Typical that when we do something borderline, we get the hammer but we don't see other teams being punished when they do it to us.

Here's a list:
Chara on Pac
Ference middle finger
Malone on Campoli
Schenn on BGally
Sauer on AK46
Some Bruin on Halpern in the PO

All these went unpunished. Hey, fine by me but we need to be able to act the same way. It's only fair.
There's always been a double standard against the Habs. Shannahan proudly carrying on the tradition like the lackey he is....

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:45 AM
overlords
Hfboards

All max has to do with regards to the 'revenge' card the NHL might pull is claim that he had no idea where McD was, that he was even on the ice, and that he had no idea they were so close to the boards..

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote