HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

2012 & 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup, Nationwide Series & Camping World Truck Series Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-23-2013, 03:28 PM
  #576
Terrence
Registered Slacker
 
Terrence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,998
vCash: 500

__________________
Terrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:29 PM
  #577
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 14,853
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Tony Stewart wins but focus is on the remains of the TSM 32 of Kyle Larson who walked away despite losing the whole front end....

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:31 PM
  #578
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 14,853
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Looks like a tire or something goes right through the fence and several rows into the stands. Scary stuff.
it was the engine and the RF Tire, but the 32 and the fencing did its job.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:35 PM
  #579
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils
 
StvBroDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,540
vCash: 500
Good job Smoke and a class act to hold off the celebration. I hope all is well for all the fans that may have been struck. This folks is why you cant go down at the end of the race and get close to the fence. I see it all the time where the security gets ignored and it shouldn't happen. Here is hoping for the best.

StvBroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:43 PM
  #580
Terrence
Registered Slacker
 
Terrence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,998
vCash: 500


Wow. Hope everyone is OK.

Terrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:53 PM
  #581
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"
 
starsfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Denton, TX - UNT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,507
vCash: 995
What a crazy finish.

starsfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:57 PM
  #582
Greeningfan14
Registered User
 
Greeningfan14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,702
vCash: 500
Wow.

Greeningfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:59 PM
  #583
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"
 
starsfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Denton, TX - UNT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,507
vCash: 995
15 fans injured

starsfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:07 PM
  #584
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
Life as a Sharks fan
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 32,703
vCash: 500

__________________
Gots all my pertinence on it and such
SpinTheBlackCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:50 PM
  #585
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue
 
Stanley Foobrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fooville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
it was the engine and the RF Tire, but the 32 and the fencing did its job.
No, one tire enters the stands high up on the fencing.


Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:59 PM
  #586
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist
 
Eddie Shack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
I hate ****ing plate races. **** you Brian France.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:47 PM
  #587
Smoke
dip,dip potato chip
 
Smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,956
vCash: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
I hate ****ing plate races. **** you Brian France.
Seriously?

Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 07:11 PM
  #588
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist
 
Eddie Shack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
Seriously?
Yes. They are a joke. There is no racing involved until the last handful of laps when everybody holds it wide open and hopes they survive. Nothing that happens before then is racing and neither is the ending.

Every once in a while something like this happens. So far 28 injured. Two in critical condition with one life threatening. For what? So people could see the big one? That's racing? Give me a break. You want to see real racing? Support your local short track. Plate racing is right out of the Vince McMahon playbook. As phony as a 3 dollar bill.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 07:29 PM
  #589
Smoke
dip,dip potato chip
 
Smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,956
vCash: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Yes. They are a joke. There is no racing involved until the last handful of laps when everybody holds it wide open and hopes they survive. Nothing that happens before then is racing and neither is the ending.

Every once in a while something like this happens. So far 28 injured. Two in critical condition with one life threatening. For what? So people could see the big one? That's racing? Give me a break. You want to see real racing? Support your local short track. Plate racing is right out of the Vince McMahon playbook. As phony as a 3 dollar bill.
Please tell me your solution. You can complain about plate racing all you want, but Daytona and Talladega are not going anywhere. Would you prefer stock cars going 230+ mph?

edit: I'm not at all a fan of plate racing, however I do accept it.

Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 07:59 PM
  #590
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist
 
Eddie Shack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
Please tell me your solution. You can complain about plate racing all you want, but Daytona and Talladega are not going anywhere. Would you prefer stock cars going 230+ mph?

edit: I'm not at all a fan of plate racing, however I do accept it.
It doesn't sound like we really disagree. And no I don't want them going 230. I know plate racing isn't going anywhere. I just hate seeing these types of accidents time after time. And they are very predictable because this is exactly what people want to see and nascar wants to give them.

It only exists because people find car wrecks fascinating. But it's not racing. The solution would be to replace Daytona and Talladega tracks but we both know that won't happen unless nascar starts bleeding money at those tracks.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:29 PM
  #591
Smoke
dip,dip potato chip
 
Smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,956
vCash: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
It doesn't sound like we really disagree. And no I don't want them going 230. I know plate racing isn't going anywhere. I just hate seeing these types of accidents time after time. And they are very predictable because this is exactly what people want to see and nascar wants to give them.

It only exists because people find car wrecks fascinating. But it's not racing. The solution would be to replace Daytona and Talladega tracks but we both know that won't happen unless nascar starts bleeding money at those tracks.
The restrictor plate exists because in 1987 Bobby Allison blew a tire in the tri-oval at Talladega and flew in to the catch fence at 200+mph, injuring spectators. It was not some kind of WWF gimmick. The purpose was, obviously, to reduce horsepower and prevent airborn vehicles. Unfortunately, the result was pack racing.


Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:39 PM
  #592
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist
 
Eddie Shack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,871
vCash: 500
I understand that plate racing is designed to slow down the cars so they don't have even worse wrecks. But since then it is quite obvious they bring their own formula for disaster to the tracks with pack racing. nascar gives lip service to the dangers and then keeps right on going. But I guess if they can accept the death of Dale Earnhardt due to plate racing what's a few fans now and then huh?

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:06 PM
  #593
Smoke
dip,dip potato chip
 
Smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,956
vCash: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
I understand that plate racing is designed to slow down the cars so they don't have even worse wrecks. But since then it is quite obvious they bring their own formula for disaster to the tracks with pack racing. nascar gives lip service to the dangers and then keeps right on going.
It seems to me like you have got it in for NASCAR. I'm not even going to defend them because your mind is already made up.

I will say that this could have been much worse if Daytona did not have the new style of catch fence. The tire that ended up in the stands flew over the fence. I would say we may see higher fences.

Quote:
But I guess if they can accept the death of Dale Earnhardt due to plate racing what's a few fans now and then huh?
If Earnhardt properly wore his safety equipment, he may have survived. Also NASCAR was reluctant to mandate the Hutchens and HANS device because of guys like Earnhardt who whined about it. This is an entirely different topic however.


Last edited by Smoke: 02-23-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:29 PM
  #594
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"
 
starsfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Denton, TX - UNT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,507
vCash: 995
1 fan in critical condition.

starsfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:56 PM
  #595
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist
 
Eddie Shack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
It seems to me like you have got it in for NASCAR. I'm not even going to defend them because your mind is already made up.

I will say that this could have been much worse if Daytona did not have the new style of catch fence. The tire that ended up in the stands flew over the fence. I would say we may see higher fences.



If Earnhardt properly wore his safety equipment, he may have survived. Also NASCAR was reluctant to mandate the Hutchens and HANS device because of guys like Earnhardt who whined about it. This is an entirely different topic however.
You're correct in that Earnhardt contributed to his own death by refusing to place the belts where Simpson told him to. But the wreck was a direct result of a plate racing blocking move to help his then teammate Michael Waltrip win the race.

I used to be a big nascar fan. Over the years I've seen the hypocrisy and taking of fans for granted. They are driving the sport the same direction open wheel went but with nobody but themselves to blame.

I'm starting to become a Brad K fan. He has nascar's number.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ascar/1937443/

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:42 PM
  #596
Smoke
dip,dip potato chip
 
Smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,956
vCash: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
You're correct in that Earnhardt contributed to his own death by refusing to place the belts where Simpson told him to. But the wreck was a direct result of a plate racing blocking move to help his then teammate Michael Waltrip win the race.
Understood, but Adam Petty, Kenny Irwin, and Tony Roper all died in 2000 at non plate tracks. Racing is dangerous. NASCAR should be called out more for the fact that certain safety measures were not taken prior to the 2001 500, and it took the most popular driver dying before they started to give a ****. Earnhardt's death is the only one to result from restrictor plate pack racing. Bonnett and Orr died during the plate era, but were both single car practice accidents.

The two spectators who were in critical condition have been upgraded to stable, according to ESPN ticker.

Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:05 AM
  #597
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist
 
Eddie Shack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
Understood, but Adam Petty, Kenny Irwin, and Tony Roper all died in 2000 at non plate tracks. Racing is dangerous. NASCAR should be called out more for the fact that certain safety measures were not taken prior to the 2001 500, and it took the most popular driver dying before they started to give a ****. Earnhardt's death is the only one to result from restrictor plate pack racing. Bonnett and Orr died during the plate era, but were both single car practice accidents.

The two spectators who were in critical condition have been upgraded to stable, according to ESPN ticker.
Don't think I'm not with you on everything you just said. But most of the other incidents tend to be one offs that cannot always be anticipated. While a plate race crash can never be anticipated as to it's outcome, it's guaranteed there will be at least one and it's always a roll of the dice as to how serious it will be. Plate racing itself puts you one step closer to death or serious injury than the "normal" risks of racing.

I know they will never change the Daytona 500 but I'd have no problem seeing them turn the second Daytona race into a road race. And if Talladega doesn't have a road course then race those two races at Barber Motorsports Park.

We can only hope those fans end up alright.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:02 AM
  #598
Greeningfan14
Registered User
 
Greeningfan14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,702
vCash: 500
Let's go Tony!!! Hope for no chaotic wrecks involving the fans

Greeningfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:24 AM
  #599
Smoke
dip,dip potato chip
 
Smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,956
vCash: 977
Bowyer seems like a cool dude.

Weather seems to be out of the way for now. Hopefully it is a safe race with the #14 on top of the podium at the end of the day. He needs to get the 500 win.

My pick however is Harvick.


Last edited by Smoke: 02-24-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:52 AM
  #600
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"
 
starsfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Denton, TX - UNT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,507
vCash: 995
Let's do this.

starsfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.