HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

2012 & 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup, Nationwide Series & Camping World Truck Series Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 03:28 PM
Terrence
Registered Slacker

vCash: 500

02-23-2013, 03:29 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Tony Stewart wins but focus is on the remains of the TSM 32 of Kyle Larson who walked away despite losing the whole front end....

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:31 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Looks like a tire or something goes right through the fence and several rows into the stands. Scary stuff.
it was the engine and the RF Tire, but the 32 and the fencing did its job.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:35 PM
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils

Good job Smoke and a class act to hold off the celebration. I hope all is well for all the fans that may have been struck. This folks is why you cant go down at the end of the race and get close to the fence. I see it all the time where the security gets ignored and it shouldn't happen. Here is hoping for the best.

StvBroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:43 PM
Terrence
Registered Slacker

Wow. Hope everyone is OK.

Terrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:53 PM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

vCash: 995
What a crazy finish.

starsfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:57 PM
Greeningfan14

Wow.

Greeningfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:59 PM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

15 fans injured

Old
02-23-2013, 05:07 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
Life as a Sharks fan

02-23-2013, 05:50 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
it was the engine and the RF Tire, but the 32 and the fencing did its job.
No, one tire enters the stands high up on the fencing.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
I hate ****ing plate races. **** you Brian France.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Smoke
dip,dip potato chip

vCash: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
I hate ****ing plate races. **** you Brian France.
Seriously?

Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 07:11 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
Seriously?
Yes. They are a joke. There is no racing involved until the last handful of laps when everybody holds it wide open and hopes they survive. Nothing that happens before then is racing and neither is the ending.

Every once in a while something like this happens. So far 28 injured. Two in critical condition with one life threatening. For what? So people could see the big one? That's racing? Give me a break. You want to see real racing? Support your local short track. Plate racing is right out of the Vince McMahon playbook. As phony as a 3 dollar bill.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:29 PM
Smoke
dip,dip potato chip

Quote:
Yes. They are a joke. There is no racing involved until the last handful of laps when everybody holds it wide open and hopes they survive. Nothing that happens before then is racing and neither is the ending.

Every once in a while something like this happens. So far 28 injured. Two in critical condition with one life threatening. For what? So people could see the big one? That's racing? Give me a break. You want to see real racing? Support your local short track. Plate racing is right out of the Vince McMahon playbook. As phony as a 3 dollar bill.
Please tell me your solution. You can complain about plate racing all you want, but Daytona and Talladega are not going anywhere. Would you prefer stock cars going 230+ mph?

edit: I'm not at all a fan of plate racing, however I do accept it.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:59 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Please tell me your solution. You can complain about plate racing all you want, but Daytona and Talladega are not going anywhere. Would you prefer stock cars going 230+ mph?

edit: I'm not at all a fan of plate racing, however I do accept it.
It doesn't sound like we really disagree. And no I don't want them going 230. I know plate racing isn't going anywhere. I just hate seeing these types of accidents time after time. And they are very predictable because this is exactly what people want to see and nascar wants to give them.

It only exists because people find car wrecks fascinating. But it's not racing. The solution would be to replace Daytona and Talladega tracks but we both know that won't happen unless nascar starts bleeding money at those tracks.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:29 PM
Smoke
dip,dip potato chip

Quote:
It doesn't sound like we really disagree. And no I don't want them going 230. I know plate racing isn't going anywhere. I just hate seeing these types of accidents time after time. And they are very predictable because this is exactly what people want to see and nascar wants to give them.

It only exists because people find car wrecks fascinating. But it's not racing. The solution would be to replace Daytona and Talladega tracks but we both know that won't happen unless nascar starts bleeding money at those tracks.
The restrictor plate exists because in 1987 Bobby Allison blew a tire in the tri-oval at Talladega and flew in to the catch fence at 200+mph, injuring spectators. It was not some kind of WWF gimmick. The purpose was, obviously, to reduce horsepower and prevent airborn vehicles. Unfortunately, the result was pack racing.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:39 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

I understand that plate racing is designed to slow down the cars so they don't have even worse wrecks. But since then it is quite obvious they bring their own formula for disaster to the tracks with pack racing. nascar gives lip service to the dangers and then keeps right on going. But I guess if they can accept the death of Dale Earnhardt due to plate racing what's a few fans now and then huh?

Old
02-23-2013, 09:06 PM
Smoke
dip,dip potato chip

Quote:
I understand that plate racing is designed to slow down the cars so they don't have even worse wrecks. But since then it is quite obvious they bring their own formula for disaster to the tracks with pack racing. nascar gives lip service to the dangers and then keeps right on going.
It seems to me like you have got it in for NASCAR. I'm not even going to defend them because your mind is already made up.

I will say that this could have been much worse if Daytona did not have the new style of catch fence. The tire that ended up in the stands flew over the fence. I would say we may see higher fences.

Quote:
But I guess if they can accept the death of Dale Earnhardt due to plate racing what's a few fans now and then huh?
If Earnhardt properly wore his safety equipment, he may have survived. Also NASCAR was reluctant to mandate the Hutchens and HANS device because of guys like Earnhardt who whined about it. This is an entirely different topic however.

Last edited by Smoke: 02-23-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old
02-23-2013, 09:29 PM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

1 fan in critical condition.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:56 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
It seems to me like you have got it in for NASCAR. I'm not even going to defend them because your mind is already made up.

I will say that this could have been much worse if Daytona did not have the new style of catch fence. The tire that ended up in the stands flew over the fence. I would say we may see higher fences.

If Earnhardt properly wore his safety equipment, he may have survived. Also NASCAR was reluctant to mandate the Hutchens and HANS device because of guys like Earnhardt who whined about it. This is an entirely different topic however.
You're correct in that Earnhardt contributed to his own death by refusing to place the belts where Simpson told him to. But the wreck was a direct result of a plate racing blocking move to help his then teammate Michael Waltrip win the race.

I used to be a big nascar fan. Over the years I've seen the hypocrisy and taking of fans for granted. They are driving the sport the same direction open wheel went but with nobody but themselves to blame.

I'm starting to become a Brad K fan. He has nascar's number.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ascar/1937443/

Old
02-23-2013, 11:42 PM
Smoke
dip,dip potato chip

Quote:
You're correct in that Earnhardt contributed to his own death by refusing to place the belts where Simpson told him to. But the wreck was a direct result of a plate racing blocking move to help his then teammate Michael Waltrip win the race.
Understood, but Adam Petty, Kenny Irwin, and Tony Roper all died in 2000 at non plate tracks. Racing is dangerous. NASCAR should be called out more for the fact that certain safety measures were not taken prior to the 2001 500, and it took the most popular driver dying before they started to give a ****. Earnhardt's death is the only one to result from restrictor plate pack racing. Bonnett and Orr died during the plate era, but were both single car practice accidents.

The two spectators who were in critical condition have been upgraded to stable, according to ESPN ticker.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:05 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Understood, but Adam Petty, Kenny Irwin, and Tony Roper all died in 2000 at non plate tracks. Racing is dangerous. NASCAR should be called out more for the fact that certain safety measures were not taken prior to the 2001 500, and it took the most popular driver dying before they started to give a ****. Earnhardt's death is the only one to result from restrictor plate pack racing. Bonnett and Orr died during the plate era, but were both single car practice accidents.

The two spectators who were in critical condition have been upgraded to stable, according to ESPN ticker.
Don't think I'm not with you on everything you just said. But most of the other incidents tend to be one offs that cannot always be anticipated. While a plate race crash can never be anticipated as to it's outcome, it's guaranteed there will be at least one and it's always a roll of the dice as to how serious it will be. Plate racing itself puts you one step closer to death or serious injury than the "normal" risks of racing.

I know they will never change the Daytona 500 but I'd have no problem seeing them turn the second Daytona race into a road race. And if Talladega doesn't have a road course then race those two races at Barber Motorsports Park.

We can only hope those fans end up alright.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:02 AM
Greeningfan14

Let's go Tony!!! Hope for no chaotic wrecks involving the fans

Greeningfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:24 AM
Smoke
dip,dip potato chip

Bowyer seems like a cool dude.

Weather seems to be out of the way for now. Hopefully it is a safe race with the #14 on top of the podium at the end of the day. He needs to get the 500 win.

My pick however is Harvick.

Last edited by Smoke: 02-24-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old
02-24-2013, 11:52 AM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

Let's do this.