Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 10:32 AM
WBC8

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
No, I made a suggestion never having seen a player before in my life. I just heard about him on the radio. That's just how I roll.

Of course I've seen him play, and I completely disagree that his speed is a liability. He often looks slow simply because of his size, similar to Looch. Mind you he's not winning the fastest skater competition anytime soon, but there's enough speed already on this team.\, and especially lines 2 and 3.

His awareness and decision making on ice more then makes up for it. Solid two way guy, not overly physical but uses his size well. Solid fit for that 2nd or 3rd line and fits the bill in regards to likely being a potential cheap re-sign in the offseason should they need it.
It was a good call on your part and would be a fine addition to the Bruins 3rd line. Brings that size...some PM skill... Could be an up and down the ladder type guy like Peverley. I would actually say he is a real possibility for the Bruins.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:54 AM
Gonzothe7thDman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeBostones View Post
I still think it was a mistake to let Benoit Pouliot go. He would have been improving with the Bruins. To say he cost the Bruins the cup series against Washington is farfetched. Many moments in a 7 game series.

Otherwise I really like our lineup except for a defenseman and a a big speedy winger. That's also the problem. We don't have much to offer from Providence aside from Ryan Spooner. The only ones I would want to move from our current roster are Andrew Ference and Johnny Boychuk on defense and Chris Kelly and possibly Rich Peverley and if I could Keith Yandle I would consider moving David Krejci. To me
Tuukka Rask, Chara, Seideinberg, McQuaid, Hamilton, Seguin, Lucic, Bergeron, Marchand and Horton are the core of the Bruins that I wouldn't be happy moving.

Bourque, Thonrton, Paille doesn't have any value. What I want I is Yandle because Chara isn't good on power play. Don't think they will/can trade Kelly but only Boychuk, Ference, Peverley, Caron, Khohklachev, Spooner, Krug, Subban, Camara and Payne have any trade value. I would for my life not give away Camara of that group.

I would love to have Ryan O'Reilly for anything from that group but don't think it's enough even with Pevs, Koko and a first. O'Reilly can play left wing and is good enough to play on second line. I don't want any old players like Iginla for Spooner, Koko, first round picks. If we are going to give up top players or the best prospects so get some young enough to give us a more than just help for one year. We need for next year a big tough player but not for the play playoffs. In a perfect world I would get Yandle and Brandon Coburn on defense. Ryan O'Reilly, Zach Kassian and Tye McGinn or Scott Hartnell or Jamie McGinn.

I would die if they trade players like Milan Lucic or Tyler Seguin beacuse they are along with Bergeron, Marchand, Rask and Chara and even Horton and McQuaid players who loves being a Bruins loves the town and we would never get equal value from trading any of them. It's strange the Bruins are off to the best start in history and many players haven't played up to their usual standard. That is a resource the way I see it. When Tyler starts potting a pair of goals a game it will change. I really believe he will explode soon and really he has the best plus/minus records of all Bruins. I would settle for a smaller move like getting Braydon Coburn and Tie McGinn for Ference and/or Boychuk and Caron plus whoever from group above it takes.

I don't think Chia will split up the group or team he built and just signed many players. He´s challenging the players and will make a move like the one I proposed. That would make me happy. But, maybe
other's have many different ideas I know. It's interesting.
Slightly fixed in case someone wants to read that.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:55 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Make it simpler. Look at goals per game. Bruins are 12th. The top 5: Tampa, Pitt, Anaheim, Chicago and St Louis.

4 of those teams have top 2 lines that rival or exceed ours (Anaheim's 2nd line probably isn't better than ours) and all are getting better production from their bottom 6.

Clearly there is no panic situation here, but let's not pretend that there can't be improvements. In fact, without improvements they'll have a tough time going deep. Perhaps those improvements come with better play from the guys already here, but with the cap space they have now I see no reason why they wouldn't want to upgrade.
GPG matters much more when you ignore GA like you just did. A team that is 10-2-2 is on it's way to a record of 34-7-7.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:14 AM
Strafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbnh View Post
What he knows is that injuries happen, and if one of the top six go down, he wants a better option than he currently has.
I also think it is kind of a shot at Kelly's weak start offensively. Boston's strength has been that if opponents concentrate on containing the top six, the third line will overmatch and outscore opponents.
I think what he needs is another guy who will be willing to start on line 3, but will be eager to move up and score if injuries occur.
But if he gets a sniper like Iggy, one of the top six becomes the spark for the third line and their scoring should increase.
[B]Some folks on radio speculated he is scouting Knuble, but I don't think that fits well. Great guy but too slow to play in this system.
Don't you get the feeling that the people on the radio know more about high school basketball prospects in Kentucky more than they do about the NHL and all the talent that is out there to speculate on?
I swear it's embarrassing to listen to radio people talk the same ol' same ol' because they just don't know any better. I'm really sick and tired of "KG" talk, Pat's talk on and on and on. They blame the callers but it's really hard to be self starter on the radio as a caller when you only have 20-40 seconds to make your point and then they have no new info so they revert back to their non-hockey talk because it's their safe place.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Gonzothe7thDman

Not interested at all in Iggy. Saying he lost a step would be generous. Alfie yes, RoR definitely yes but not really a deadline move. Higgins yes, Comeau yes, knuble......NFW. Wish we didn't miss out on moulson a few years ago when it was rumored we were in on getting him.

Another top 6 wing and an offensive #4 or #5 defensemen and we are good for a long run.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:26 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzothe7thDman View Post
Not interested at all in Iggy. Saying he lost a step would be generous. Alfie yes, RoR definitely yes but not really a deadline move. Higgins yes, Comeau yes, knuble......NFW. Wish we didn't miss out on moulson a few years ago when it was rumored we were in on getting him.

Another top 6 wing and an offensive #4 or #5 defensemen and we are good for a long run.
Top 6 wing? You mean a third line wing or a first line wing?

Old
02-24-2013, 11:30 AM
Gonzothe7thDman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
Top 6 wing? You mean a third line wing or a first line wing?
Well any top 6 wing we bring in either goes to the third line or bumps a current player to the third line. Can't have enough depth.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
We attack at 11.

Since Boston is playing Florida today... I wonder if Shawn Matthias is available.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:33 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzothe7thDman View Post
Well any top 6 wing we bring in either goes to the third line or bumps a current player to the third line. Can't have enough depth.
I see a lot of posters calling for a top 6 wing when they mean a third line wing,a probable 30 point guy and this year 15.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:43 AM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
But then later we hear the prices were too high at the deadline. That's why you do the heavy lifting in the summer.
And over the summer we had absolutely no idea what the economic landscape would be this season. Had Chia known the cap for this year was going to be 70 million, he might have done more

Had he been able to deal thomas this summer, he might have done more

Old
02-24-2013, 12:10 PM
Colt.45Orr

Would LOVE to bring in Brouwer. 6'3 -215pds, hits a TON and can play like a chotch too when needed. Has decent contract for next years.

Target #1 for me right now: fills a need (size, snarl, skill, some speed and strong board play).... Koko + Kelly is opening offer (screw the NTC)

PERFECT fit for this team, brings some size and forecheck into this team as well (other than Lucic/Horton).

Lucic--Krejci--Horton
Marchand--Bergeron--Seguin
Brouwer--Spooner--Pevs
Paille--Soup--Thornton

Old
02-24-2013, 12:28 PM
bobbyorr04
Bruins fan 4ever

vCash: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
But, but , but we are 10-2-2....Thankfully Chia isn't stuck in nostalgia land like many here... I love this guy.. He also doesn't think "the deepest team in the league" is really all that deep... We are blessed to have him and the coach that we do. I hope they are here for decades.
All you younger fans are lucky to have Chiarelli as Bruins GM. IMHO he is the best Bruins GM since Milt Schmidt. I never did like Harry (never won a Cup as GM) Sinden.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:30 PM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Streit from the Isles would b a hell of a pick up. He is a UFA at season end

Old
02-24-2013, 12:35 PM
C77

So I guess it's a question of...Do you add a player now before the injuries pile up? Or do you wait to have a couple injuries and see what you need....and then have to pay a higher price?

It seems to make sense for the B's to make a trade with another team that could make both teams involved better in the short-term. There are only two teams that look dead in the water (Buffalo and Columbus).

Old
02-24-2013, 12:43 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
Would LOVE to bring in Brouwer. 6'3 -215pds, hits a TON and can play like a chotch too when needed. Has decent contract for next years.

Target #1 for me right now: fills a need (size, snarl, skill, some speed and strong board play).... Koko + Kelly is opening offer (screw the NTC)

PERFECT fit for this team, brings some size and forecheck into this team as well (other than Lucic/Horton).

Lucic--Krejci--Horton
Brouwer--Spooner--Pevs
Paille--Soup--Thornton
Sorry to burst your bubble of hate but Kelly's not going anywhere.

I am Boston Strong

Old
02-24-2013, 02:09 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I'd bet my house one career year isn't the reason Kelly got a NTC. Chiarelli spent a long time as Kelly's GM, and pursued him for a year for the Bruins before finally landing him. He didn't get that contract because he scored 20 goals last season; he's being paid for leadership, intelligent play, penalty killing, holding leads in the final minute, and yes, scoring a clutch goal now and then.
He's not earning his pay this year. Decent little player, not worth his contract. Nothing WBC8 said is incorrect.

As to your contention that he wasn't paid because of last year, if he scored 8 goals last year you honestly believe he would have been given the same deal he got?

Old
02-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
No, I made a suggestion never having seen a player before in my life. I just heard about him on the radio. That's just how I roll.

Of course I've seen him play, and I completely disagree that his speed is a liability. He often looks slow simply because of his size, similar to Looch. Mind you he's not winning the fastest skater competition anytime soon, but there's enough speed already on this team.\, and especially lines 2 and 3.

His awareness and decision making on ice more then makes up for it. Solid two way guy, not overly physical but uses his size well. Solid fit for that 2nd or 3rd line and fits the bill in regards to likely being a potential cheap re-sign in the offseason should they need it.
As I said in the other thread: strong on the puck, good net front presence, smart offensively and defensively and a decent passer. Not an all star but a solid guy who would fit in here.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:13 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
Since Boston is playing Florida today... I wonder if Shawn Matthias is available.
Not a chance. Young PF type making very little money. You'd have to give Florida something very good for him, and I don't mean Krug/Cross/Ference good.

He's not a great player or anything, but they've been giving him more and more ice time and he's at the very least going to be a valuable 3rd line heart and soul guy for years to come.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Bone for your jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeBostones View Post
I still think it was a mistake to let Benoit Pouliot go. He would have been improving with the Bruins. To say he cost the Bruins the cup series against Washington is farfetched. Many moments in a 7 game series. Otherwise I really like our lineup except for a defenseman and a a big speedy winger. That's also the problem. We don't have much to offer from Providence aside from Ryan Spooner. The only ones I would want to move from our current roster are Andrew Ference and Johnny Boychuk on defense and Chris Kelly and possibly Rich Peverley and if I could Keith Yandle I would consider moving David Krejci. To me
Tuukka Rask, Chara, Seideinberg, McQuaid, Hamilton, Seguin, Lucic, Bergeron, Marchand and Horton are the core of the Bruins that I wouldn't be happy moving
. Bourque, Thonrton, Paille doesn't have any value. What I want I is Yandle because Chara isn't good on power play. Don't think they will/can trade Kelly but only Boychuk, Ference, Peverley, Caron, Khohklachev, Spooner, Krug, Subban, Camara and Payne have any trade value.
[snipped the rest of post]

You make some valuable points in your lengthy post, but I'm confused by your reasoning. You're willing to trade Krejci for Yandle (I'm sure you're not alone in this), and willing to move Ference, Boychuk, Kelly and Peverley, but you consider other players --namely Rask, Chara, Seids, McQuaid, Hamilton, Seguin, Lucic, Bergeron, Marchand and Horton-- to be "the core of the Bruins" that you wouldn't want to move. Why?, I must ask. What is it about those particular players that makes them so special, so core, and that Krejci and others lack?

Old
02-24-2013, 02:39 PM
Kalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan_37 View Post
Streit from the Isles would b a hell of a pick up. He is a UFA at season end
Likely to be a bidding war for his services this deadline. Might be expensive. I'd bet Chia would be thinking more along the lines of depth for the D, anyway.

If the Isles really fall out of it and become sellers, what about old friend Brad Boyes? Having a good year, expiring contract, maybe he'd rekindle the chemistry he used to have with Bergy and get him going offensively? Can't imagine they'd have to give up too much to get him. And he'd certainly strengthen the top 9.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:08 PM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post

Lucic--Krejci--Horton
Brouwer--Spooner--Pevs
Paille--Soup--Thornton
he's paid 3,6m for not scoring, we can't afford that unless you want to get rid of Horton in the off-season.

I'm on board with getting rid of Kelly though. There's another buyout chance in summer 2014 right? Would be perfect, that's when Spooner should be ready and when Kelly's contract could really start to hurt.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:48 PM
22Brad Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
he's paid 3,6m for not scoring, we can't afford that unless you want to get rid of Horton in the off-season.

I'm on board with getting rid of Kelly though. There's another buyout chance in summer 2014 right? Would be perfect, that's when Spooner should be ready and when Kelly's contract could really start to hurt.
You guys have no idea what Kelly brings,NONE AT ALL!

Old
02-24-2013, 05:00 PM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Brad Park View Post
You guys have no idea what Kelly brings,NONE AT ALL!
Thanks for taking the high road, but I do know what Kelly brings. The problem is he is paid too much to do it. Or should I say, he's signed too long for it. 2014 would be the perfect time to cut ties imo...

Old
02-24-2013, 05:03 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
Thanks for taking the high road, but I do know what Kelly brings. The problem is he is paid too much to do it. Or should I say, he's signed too long for it. 2014 would be the perfect time to cut ties imo...
Agreed though Kelly's such a hard working player. I see the contract as a partial past performance payment. Still want him for this year and next though as part of a couple SC runs. See him getting bought out end of next year or moved next year at the deadline to another contender.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:13 PM
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal

Love to see a lucic briere marchand line to just troll the league

Closed Thread