HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers Win 3-2

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 01:52 AM
cpsman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Donno where else to post this really. But my god is Nuge in an epic slump right now.

4 points in his first 5 games and now 3 in his last 11. Yikes. He needs to get going big time here.

Smyth is just 1 point back of RNH!

that is actually kind of scary....

Old
02-24-2013, 01:56 AM
AUAIOMRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
There's an even simpler way. Just give points to the winning team, and none to the losing team. Why give points to OT/SO losers at all? I mean, with no chances of a tie thanks to the shootout after a 5 minute OT, what's the benefit to the loser point in any form?
Well, supposedly:
-to make teams less afraid to lose in OT
-to make the shootout more tolerable for those that hate it

Really though, having some games be worth more points is moronic. It basically encourages teams to play low scoring hockey since less goals means a greater chance of a tie at the end of regulation.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:04 AM
raab
Where's the Heart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAIOMRN View Post
Well, supposedly:
-to make teams less afraid to lose in OT
-to make the shootout more tolerable for those that hate it

Really though, having some games be worth more points is moronic. It basically encourages teams to play low scoring hockey since less goals means a greater chance of a tie at the end of regulation.
I say just take away the loser point. If a game goes to the shootout then each team gets accredited a tie and 1 point. Use the shootouts for the fans and as a tiebreaker at the end of the season.

Old
02-24-2013, 08:32 AM
Ladra

I want to see a 3210 point distribution... playing a tie game shouldn't give the participants more points than a team winning in regulation.

Playing a tie game should never give full points since you failed to beat your opponent in regulation.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:41 AM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladra View Post
I want to see a 3210 point distribution... playing a tie game shouldn't give the participants more points than a team winning in regulation.

Playing a tie game should never give full points since you failed to beat your opponent in regulation.
This is how it should have been from the beginning.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:40 AM
Draw me an Elephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladra View Post

I don't know, 3210 points sounds like a lot to me. I mean, if a team wins 50 games in a year they will have 160,500 points at the end of the year. It sounds pretty cool, but could be a little confusing.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:00 AM
CardMonkey83*

Smith is a UFA this summer. Every time i watch the pre-game talk when phx plays edm, mike smith is always quite generous with the comments about the oilers. I think if we extend him an offer this summer, he's ours. Then we're in the playoffs next year, along with the continuing development of our core.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:13 AM
GMofOilers

I think its fair to say I would rather be watching Habby start than Dubby at this point.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:28 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I was so split this game in my view on it.

30 minutes in and it seemed to be shaping up into another 2-1 loss where we just can't score. But the Oilers kept the pressure on and kept putting the puck on net and get the tie. They played well for the vast majority of the game.

But then they get that tie and Krueger just completely sits back on it. Hell, he admitted it in the post game scrum. He was putting Smyth and Belanger out there to get the game to a shootout. That is pretty lame.

I'm frustrated that Krueger's only solution to change up the top 6 is to drop Yakupov out of it. Give the kid a few games with RNH and see what sort of chemistry he can generate. He got open in the slot a few times this afternoon that very few have been able to do on this team this season.

Oh well, they got the win. Some good things definitely happened tonight.

That Gagner deke was an absolute thing of beauty. One of his best.

Yakupov has been a giveaway machine this year and a lot more the last few games lately. There will be games where the coach maybe feels more comfortable just getting it to the SO and obviously it worked out this time. There have been plenty of other games where they've gone to the wall to get the win in regulation and OT , and there will be many more. Yakupov will get his chances. I'm not about to critique one guys lack of playing time in a game over a win where so many other things were done well and so many good decisions were made.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:30 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
I think its fair to say I would rather be watching Habby start than Dubby at this point.
Really? Dubey's had two poor games, but he's hardly been the problem.

(edit - not to discredit Khabi, who's played very well. But goaltending hasn't been the issue, by and large.)

Old
02-24-2013, 11:34 AM
GMofOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
Really? Dubey's had two poor games, but he's hardly been the problem.
He had couple great games, the rest average to poor. Just seems to let that weak one in every game and you just wait for it and it just happens. Not that Habby is better, just for some reason Dubby isnt and never going to be a #1 goalie.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:35 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashyflash View Post
This is why I am frustrated with the coaching today. How does a goal scorer like Yakupov gain confidence knowing he's not allowed to make a mistake and still become a great goal scorer with this organization.

You don't do that stuff, he killed his momentum.

Yakupov has had a ton of playing time this year and made lots of mistakes and been allowed to continue playing through them. Sitting down for some shifts is probably used more as a learning tool than punishment. The kid is trying as hard as he can, but many times a seat on the bench or the PB can be a very good tool for a young player to have a different view of how things need to be done or not done. Pretty sure Yak understands this, as I think he's a pretty smart kid and willing to learn everything and everyway he can. Steve Stamkos sat a few games in his rookie year, and I doubt it hurt him or killed his momentum.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:39 AM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Smyth is still on the 1st line....

Old
02-24-2013, 11:43 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Smyth is still on the 1st line....

still on the first line today you mean, like at practice today? god i hope not, if that is the case, then there really is no hope for krueger

Old
02-24-2013, 11:47 AM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
still on the first line today you mean, like at practice today? god i hope not, if that is the case, then there really is no hope for krueger
1st line in practice. Here is the full lineup: 94-93-14, 56-89-83, 64-54-91, 55-20-28 (Extras 4-10-37)

This lineup is horrible.

Hartikainen is being promoted for playing bad, smyth is being promoted for god knows what, and Yakupov is still stuck with VV. Hope is lost.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
Not to disagree, but in a season where there will be hundreds of times to complain and question coaching, ill let this one pass.

Yak looked great there, but Smyth is playing pretty good right now, you got to give a dog a bone now and again.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:51 AM
GMofOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
1st line in practice. Here is the full lineup: 94-93-14, 56-89-83, 64-54-91, 55-20-28 (Extras 4-10-37)

This lineup is horrible.

Hartikainen is being promoted for playing bad, smyth is being promoted for god knows what, and Yakupov is still stuck with VV. Hope is lost.
Cant be that bad, we won with it last night. Coach had 55 playing in practice with 93-14 yesterday. I wouldnt worry about it to much right now.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

vCash: 1240
afternoon game against Phoenix, being 2 down going into the 3rd with the Coyotes having a 5-0-0 record leading after 2.....Oilers win.
and we have "fire Krueger!" ?....
people need to relax....I understand frustration and anger after a loss, but after a win?,
let's wait and see how he manages on the road trip...

I also, hope he continues with his strategy, just to read more OMG!!!! where da Yak?, Y U no play Yak?..

Old
02-24-2013, 12:06 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TayBerle HopKov View Post
Smith is a UFA this summer. Every time i watch the pre-game talk when phx plays edm, mike smith is always quite generous with the comments about the oilers. I think if we extend him an offer this summer, he's ours. Then we're in the playoffs next year, along with the continuing development of our core.
Mike Smith is not the answer. If we go after anything from Phoenix, it needs to be their goalie coach, Sean Burke. He took Bryzgalov from a very good backup to a star goalie who left for a huge contract, only to be exposed as an average goalie who benefitted from his system. He then took perennial ball of suck Mike Smith and made him look like a star. Without Sean Burke, neither of these guys are star players.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:08 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
He had couple great games, the rest average to poor. Just seems to let that weak one in every game and you just wait for it and it just happens. Not that Habby is better, just for some reason Dubby isnt and never going to be a #1 goalie.
He has let some softies in, but it certainly isn't every game, and he has bailed this team out in a lot of games this year. You could use the "soft goal every game" line last year. Not this year.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:09 PM
zeus3007*

Why all the negativity towards Smyth? He's had a couple of very good games. He was brutal to start the year, but I'm starting to wonder if it wasn't partially because of conditioning thanks to having basically no training camp. He's turned his game around it looks like. He was one of our best forwards yesterday, and that's a fact.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:11 PM
GMofOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
He has let some softies in, but it certainly isn't every game, and he has bailed this team out in a lot of games this year. You could use the "soft goal every game" line last year. Not this year.
Yep every game, did you read what I said? I told you he played very well in a few games this year, but in them games he still let in a softie.

Anyways like I said fair to say I feel way more confident in Habby than Dubby, always have. And thats kinda sad, and maybe part of whats keeping this team from a playoff team.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

vCash: 1240
Quote:
Why all the negativity towards Smyth? He's had a couple of very good games. He was brutal to start the year, but I'm starting to wonder if it wasn't partially because of conditioning thanks to having basically no training camp. He's turned his game around it looks like. He was one of our best forwards yesterday, and that's a fact.
I agree with you, I think he's looked good after taking a seat in the PB.
I think the negativity comes from, not his play, but the fact that some posters think he takes time away from Yakupov.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:30 PM
CardMonkey83*

Quote:
Mike Smith is not the answer. If we go after anything from Phoenix, it needs to be their goalie coach, Sean Burke. He took Bryzgalov from a very good backup to a star goalie who left for a huge contract, only to be exposed as an average goalie who benefitted from his system. He then took perennial ball of suck Mike Smith and made him look like a star. Without Sean Burke, neither of these guys are star players.
hmmm, that is quite interesting. so when is burke's contract up? lets lure him in

Old
02-24-2013, 01:56 PM
North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Yakupov has had a ton of playing time this year and made lots of mistakes and been allowed to continue playing through them. Sitting down for some shifts is probably used more as a learning tool than punishment. The kid is trying as hard as he can, but many times a seat on the bench or the PB can be a very good tool for a young player to have a different view of how things need to be done or not done. Pretty sure Yak understands this, as I think he's a pretty smart kid and willing to learn everything and everyway he can. Steve Stamkos sat a few games in his rookie year, and I doubt it hurt him or killed his momentum.
This. Hall and Eberle were benched a couple of times as well in their first seasons. IIRC, it was because they weren't backchecking that well.

Being benched is not the end of the world.

Yak needs the game to slow down for him and once that happens he's going to be very good. The problem is he is too jumpy and all over the place right now.

Closed Thread