HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

HNIC shows new potential alignment with 16 teams in "east" groupings

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 11:45 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
There is actually no better set up for Dallas. Its best case scenario for Dallas.

Colorado gets the short end no matter what. Until another team moves west, then you can look at Detroit in the East.
No, the best scenario for Dallas is to be put in a division/conference of Central teams (St Louis, Nashville, Minnesota, Chicago and Winnipeg). They want out of the Pacific as bad as Minnesota wants out of the NW.

Dallas, Minnesota and Winnipeg are the teams most likely to benefit from this plan being proposed.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:45 AM
Mantha Poodoo
The Wheeled Winger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
Most of the people here in Winnipeg do not really care about being the only Canadian team in that conference. That conference works great for Winnipeg IMO
The players may not like the border crossing, but I think Winnipeg ownership likes it. I could be wrong, but Winnipeg doesn't really have a natural rivalry with the east Canadian teams or the west Canadian teams, and given that the team is going strong even playing against the southeast, I think the biggest thing for ownership at this point is just getting ideal timezones for TV--which makes shoving them in with a bunch of CTZ teams perfect.

My guess on the 4 nay votes to the previous realignment proposal at this point is Toronto, Montreal, Tampa Bay, and Florida--they've been given Detroit to placate them. St. Louis and Nashville will object, but Toronto and Montreal are more powerful than they are.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:46 AM
canuckster19
Former CDC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
The BEST scenario, in your opinion, is for Dallas to remain in a division where all of its other division opponents are two time zones away?
I think you've completely misunderstood him, I believe he's implying this new Norris division is better for Dallas than the current Pacific.

I'd like jets fans to chime in and get their opinion about not being with the western Canadian teams.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:48 AM
Mantha Poodoo
The Wheeled Winger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
Yes, let's put Tampa and Florida in a conference with the teams in the east who are furthest away from them.

This is terrible.
I like that division from a TB perspective. Doesn't change viewing times at all as its still all ETZ, travel is still cake compared to anything in the west, and most importantly that division is way bigger $ than the current one. Don't really care what Florida thinks, but pretty much the same perspective there.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:49 AM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckster19 View Post
I think you've completely misunderstood him, I believe he's implying this new Norris division is better for Dallas than the current Pacific.

I'd like jets fans to chime in and get their opinion about not being with the western Canadian teams.
Not a big deal to most of us, Honestly like the above poster said being in a central time zone is what works best for us. Without a doubt we see Minnesota as a team wed love to build a rivalry with. Close in distance and we all had a blast at the X last year.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:51 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthosrgn2 View Post
This realignment should be easier then they are making it. Start with the premise that every team plays 2 games against every other team in the league. Wouldn't all fans like the opportunity to see all the leagues teams and players?
No. As a Rangers fan, I could not care less about seeing them play the Flames, Oilers, Phoenix, LA, Anaheim, etc. I would gladly give up games against most western teams in order to get more games against division rivals. Based on demand for divisional game tickets vs demand for tickets to western conference teams in the past, I would say most Rangers fans agree with me.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:54 AM
Mantha Poodoo
The Wheeled Winger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
Not a big deal to most of us, Honestly like the above poster said being in a central time zone is what works best for us. Without a doubt we see Minnesota as a team wed love to build a rivalry with. Close in distance and we all had a blast at the X last year.
As someone that lives in Colorado and watches the Avs regularly, I'm looking forward to some of the college hockey rivalry to spill over between Minny and Colorado, and I think Winnipeg + Colorado + Minnesota should make a good triumverate of rivals, similar to Chicago + Nashville + St. Louis.

Dallas, meanwhile, can scrap with Minnesota for obvious reasons, and have some fierce playoff history with St. Louis and Colorado, who also happen to be their closest in proximity.

I think it's a pretty sexy central/Norris division, myself.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:54 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
I've been asking two questions, one here and one in the Main Board thread, but as of yet I haven't got an answer to either. So I'll flip the questions and ask the other one here.

Regarding that wildcard scenario which has apparently been suggested for the East: Is that a wildcard play-in within the Conference or within the Division? With a top-8 Playoff, I'd think that it would be in the Conference, but... ??
I am thinking the 4th and 5th place team in each division/conference/whatever you want to call them would have a play-in. Either 1 game or Best-of-3. Can't see it being longer.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:02 PM
orthosrgn2

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
No. As a Rangers fan, I could not care less about seeing them play the Flames, Oilers, Phoenix, LA, Anaheim, etc. I would gladly give up games against most western teams in order to get more games against division rivals. Based on demand for divisional game tickets vs demand for tickets to western conference teams in the past, I would say most Rangers fans agree with me.
It is not all about Ranger fans, but what works for all teams in the league. At issues are travel times, developing rivalries, enhancing the whole league not just what is best for Rangers fans. I am a Jackets fan and I would still like to see Nash at least once a year in Columbus. Is that too much to ask out of an 82 game season? In the west we miss out on Stamkos, Ovechkin, Crosby, Kovalchuk, etc. These players are marquis and should be enjoyed by the league
fans entirely. You still would get four or five divisional games.

Last edited by Major4Boarding: 02-24-2013 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Not needed
Old
02-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Enigma Publius

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
I am thinking the 4th and 5th place team in each division/conference/whatever you want to call them would have a play-in. Either 1 game or Best-of-3. Can't see it being longer.
Or... top three teams in each division qualify for the playoffs while the rest of the remaining conference teams scramble for two wild card positions. No need for a play in. Division winners host the wild card qualifiers, two seeds host third seeds. Preserves the divisional format while allowing strong teams in competitive divisions a chance to qualify.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:06 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Sorry about your narrow mindedness. It is not all about Ranger fans, but what works for all teams in the league. At issues are travel times, developing rivalries, enhancing the whole league not just what is best for Rangers fans. I am a Jackets fan and I would still like to see Nash at least once a year in Columbus. Is that too much to ask out of an 82 game season? In the west we miss out on Stamkos, Ovechkin, Crosby, Kovalchuk, etc. These players are marquis and should be enjoyed by the league
Agree...and disagree.

I agree that the world shouldn't revolve around what's best for Ranger fans.

I disagree that realignment should consider Nash, Crosby, Stamkos, etc. Players come and go, teams get better and decline. Sure, Pittsburgh may be a draw now, but what happens when Malkin and Crosby call it a career?

Realignment should be about geography/time zones, especially in the West....and nothing more.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:08 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckster19 View Post
His post before that was his proposed alignment which keeps Dallas in a division that is essentially the Pacific and he was defending it.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:11 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Realignment should be about geography/time zones, especially in the West....and nothing more.
Quote:
Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Florida, Montreal, Ottawa, Tampa Bay, Toronto
And realignment also should NOT be about Canadian snowbirds seeing their team in person in South Florida while the Panthers and Hurricanes (and Lightning), teams not too far from each other in relative NHL terms, are in different conferences (per this proposal).

Just sayin...

Old
02-24-2013, 12:14 PM
orthosrgn2

Quote:
Agree...and disagree.

I disagree that realignment should consider Nash, Crosby, Stamkos, etc. Players come and go, teams get better and decline. Sure, Pittsburgh may be a draw now, but what happens when Malkin and Crosby call it a career?

You make my point exactly. I only chose those players as examples of what the West misses now. In the future it could be 180 degrees in the opposite direction. I agree completely that it is geography and time zones, but it also should make travel more equitable between the conferences. Why wouldn't a FA consider an eastern team over a western team if he spent more time at home and less o the road??

Old
02-24-2013, 12:16 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
And realignment also should NOT be about Canadian snowbirds seeing their team in person in South Florida while the Panthers and Hurricanes (and Lightning), teams not too far from each other in relative NHL terms, are in different conferences (per this proposal).

Just sayin...
It should be about making money in their cases. Who is more likely to show up on the road. It's clear the message being sent here by the NHL: You're not showing up to enough games, so we're opening the door for people who will.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:17 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
It is not all about Ranger fans, but what works for all teams in the league. At issues are travel times, developing rivalries, enhancing the whole league not just what is best for Rangers fans. I am a Jackets fan and I would still like to see Nash at least once a year in Columbus. Is that too much to ask out of an 82 game season? In the west we miss out on Stamkos, Ovechkin, Crosby, Kovalchuk, etc. These players are marquis and should be enjoyed by the league
you said it yourself. "developing rivalries", and playing more games against the division will do that. Besides, look at the post I quoted. He said, "Wouldn't everyone want to see each team twice. I pointed out that I believe from a Rangers fan perspective his opinion is inacurate.

Yes, I am sure west teams would like to host the marquee players, but why give up games against your rivals for a few individual players? Secondly, if the realignment proposed last night happens, you will get Nash 3 times a year.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:20 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
And 14 months ago screamed of what?
Ambiguity. With this set up you have two open spots in the west and two Florida teams playing 'Two of these things is not like the other.' I don't know the economics for the two FLA teams but Looking at the rest of the teams in the new conference, geography says those two FLA teams would be better in S. Ontario and Quebec. I'm not rooting for it but it looks like the league would consider it. Still, I see the two FLA teams have surprising attendance numbers. FLA is 9th in attendance %. and TB is 7th in average attendance.

As for the west, Portland and Seattle are there waiting for hockey. Portland has the Rose Garden; 18k seats 70 Boxes. Seattle will might have an arena with the new basketball team.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:21 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:

Just sayin...
Aren't Tampa and Florida in the same conference under this new proposal? You're only beef is that Carolina would be placed in a different one?

Old
02-24-2013, 12:22 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma Publius View Post
Or... top three teams in each division qualify for the playoffs while the rest of the remaining conference teams scramble for two wild card positions. No need for a play in. Division winners host the wild card qualifiers, two seeds host third seeds. Preserves the divisional format while allowing strong teams in competitive divisions a chance to qualify.
HUH? The idea of divisions/conference will be gone. Conference 1 (whatever it winds up being called) will have nothing to do with Conference 2. In the 80s, Patrick Division winner played Adams Division winner in the 3rd round. Not going to happen under this plan. 4 division winners would be re-seeded in the 3rd round.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:23 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
You don't stay up too late, do you?
That's a different conference. The Pacific and Central aren't together in this alignment.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:23 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Chicago, Detroit, and St. Louis have been in a division together since 1981. It is completely illogical to revert back to how things were in 1967. There's a lot of history between those 3 teams, all of which is much more recent than the Original 6 era.

And is it really great of TV? Fans of those teams should be watching the games anyways.
And Toronto. Detroit has wanted to be east forever though. Chicago gotta get the rivalry with Dallas and LA going and become the anchor of the west.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:24 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
You make my point exactly. I only chose those players as examples of what the West misses now. In the future it could be 180 degrees in the opposite direction. I agree completely that it is geography and time zones, but it also should make travel more equitable between the conferences. Why wouldn't a FA consider an eastern team over a western team if he spent more time at home and less o the road??
It's not like these teams are traveling by bus or train. They are flying charter and first class...What makes it hard is crossing multiple time zones, not actual distance in miles. The West will always be at a disadvantage due to travel, but this plan at least is an improvement.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:26 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Agree...and disagree.

Thing is, I am not expecting the league to do what is best for Rangers fans. I responded to what was said about each team playing everyone at least twice.

I agree completely about what you say about basing it on individual players and what teams are hot now. Rangers fans have been complaining about it too. Saying that with the Devils, Flyers, and Penguins in the division, that makes one spot available for everyone else. I forgot the Rangers won the division last year. Secondly, teams go up and down. Look at the Pens from Mario's early days til now. Flyers went 5 years without making the play-offs in the early 90s. Rangers went 7. Devils have been consistent.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:29 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Ambiguity. With this set up you have two open spots in the west and two Florida teams playing 'Two of these things is not like the other.' I don't know the economics for the two FLA teams but Looking at the rest of the teams in the new conference, geography says those two FLA teams would be better in S. Ontario and Quebec. I'm not rooting for it but it looks like the league would consider it. Still, I see the two FLA teams have surprising attendance numbers. FLA is 9th in attendance %. and TB is 7th in average attendance.

As for the west, Portland and Seattle are there waiting for hockey. Portland has the Rose Garden; 18k seats 70 Boxes. Seattle will might have an arena with the new basketball team.
Ahh,... the Florida teams were in the previous proposal as well. I wasn't referring to that. I was referring to what was preceived as the League's logic for leaving two 7-team Divisions in the East in the previous proposal, and now two 7-team Divisions in the West. In the first scenario, people said it screamed of two expansion teams coming in the East; now people are saying that it screams of two expansion teams coming in the West. Perhaps the League is schizophrenic.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:31 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
It's not like these teams are traveling by bus or train. They are flying charter and first class...What makes it hard is crossing multiple time zones, not actual distance in miles. The West will always be at a disadvantage due to travel, but this plan at least is an improvement.
exactly. these guy are not getting to an airport 2-3 hours before the flight, standing in line for security, running to catch a connection, parking 5 miles away and hoping the shuttle comes quickly, sitting in a cramped uncomfortable seat for 2 or 3 hours.

The time zones are all about tv revenues. Teams like Dallas are saying their local tv contract gets hurt because the ratings aren't as high for road games that start at 9/9:30 locally.

Closed Thread