HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reallignment leaked by Nick Costanika

Old
02-23-2013, 08:56 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
Reallignment leaked by Nick Costanika

This set-up blows with the fury of a thousand tornados.

Conference 3

Chicago
Colorado
Dallas
Minnesota
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg

No Columbus, no Detroit,

Conference 4:
Anaheim
Calgary
Edmonton
LA
Phoenix
SJ
Vancouver

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:02 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

East:
Carolina
Columbus
NJ
NYI
NYR
Philly
Pitt
Washington

Conference 2:
Toronto
Detroit
Montreal
Ottawa
Buffalo
FLA
Boston
TB

Old
02-23-2013, 09:13 PM
Legionnaire11

Looks like they took my suggestion (which was pretty much poo-pooed on by HFboards) and put 16 teams in the east (less travel) and 14 teams in the west (easier path to playoffs).

I don't mind the Preds conference, but conference 2 still sucks. Putting the Florida teams with the Canadian teams is idiotic. Flipping Columbus and Pittsburgh with Florida and Tampa would improve the setup a lot.

Even better IMO...

Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
Detroit
Columbus
Washington
Carolina
Tampa
Florida

Toronto
Montreal
Ottawa
Buffalo
Boston
Brooklyn
New York
New Jersey

Chicago
Colorado
Dallas
Minnesota
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg

Anaheim
Calgary
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Phoenix
San Jose
Vancouver

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:08 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Looks like they took my suggestion (which was pretty much poo-pooed on by HFboards) and put 16 teams in the east (less travel) and 14 teams in the west (easier path to playoffs).

I don't mind the Preds conference, but conference 2 still sucks. Putting the Florida teams with the Canadian teams is idiotic. Flipping Columbus and Pittsburgh with Florida and Tampa would improve the setup a lot.

Even better IMO...

Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
Detroit
Columbus
Washington
Carolina
Tampa
Florida

Toronto
Montreal
Ottawa
Buffalo
Boston
Brooklyn
New York
New Jersey

Chicago
Colorado
Dallas
Minnesota
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg

Anaheim
Calgary
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Phoenix
San Jose
Vancouver
Philadelphia HATES the idea of being away from the NYC teams for proximity and culture reasons.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:22 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

What I expect is this.

PHX moves to Portland, rich owner in Winterhawks owner, arena with 18k seats, 70+ boxes

Expansion to Seattle KC

Canadian owners looking at FLA teams as targets for relocation. Sadly, it would be better for the conference to move both TB and FLA to QC and TO

Old
02-23-2013, 10:30 PM
Datsyukian Deke

I like the idea of finally being back in the East if it is in fact true....

Datsyukian Deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:54 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
What I expect is this.

PHX moves to Portland, rich owner in Winterhawks owner, arena with 18k seats, 70+ boxes

Expansion to Seattle KC

Canadian owners looking at FLA teams as targets for relocation. Sadly, it would be better for the conference to move both TB and FLA to QC and TO
Portland? Is there a market for NHL hockey there?

GwtGlads2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:29 AM
thecloser

i definitely think there will be a team in Seattle.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:08 AM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Philadelphia HATES the idea of being away from the NYC teams for proximity and culture reasons.
I know. I grew up there as a Flyers fan.

But they have to sacrifice somewhere, either give up NYC or give up Pittsburgh.

IMO it's pretty easy to separate them from Pittsburgh, they were split up in the 90's. But That's probably the biggest rivalry in the league right now, so there's definitely no way they will be split up anytime soon. That's the shortsightedness of the league though.

Will fans in Florida really get up 12-16 times a season, which is close to half of the home schedule, for the teams from Canada? I don't buy the "snowbird" argument that Canadian fans give, it's just not that much of a boost in Tampa and Miami.

Keeping PHI-PIT rivalry together and adding DET to it would be a decent option to keeping PHI with the NYC teams. It also bolsters the SE Division teams who would be much more interested in PIT and DET than MTL and TOR.

In NYC the Rangers get more O6 rivalries with Boston, Toronto and Montreal. Isles and Devils really aren't a factor, they're happy to tag along with the Rangers. Although it would be neat to have the Rangers and Isles split up to share NYC with two different divisions.

It all just highlights the advantage that those teams have being in such close proximity to one another and the fact that they are allowed to be so stubborn to force the league's hand rather than sacrifice in the short term for the better of the league.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:38 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Doesn't make any sense at all ... I suspect that the owners already have the Markham + QC card in their back pocket (which actually makes sense) and they're throwing this out there as a "soft landing" ... "well we tried to get you to the EC but, we couldn't pass up the gargantuan expansion fees that we're receiving from QC & Markham"

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:52 AM
Jonesey
KCCO

I'm not a fan of the unbalanced conferences or divisions or whatever they want to call them.

I'd prefer just going ahead and expanding to 32 and go with the NFL division setup, 8 divisions of 4 teams each.

Jonesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:56 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwtGlads2013 View Post
Portland? Is there a market for NHL hockey there?
Portland is the #22 TV market, they currently house the dominate Portland Winterhawks who's averaging 6000 fans a yr which is huge for a CHL team. The owner has been rumored as to trying to make in roads to purchase PHX. The Rose Garden can hold 18K for hockey with 70 Boxes.

I think the market is there and I don't want PHX to move but the fact is The Northwest is becoming a big market and Seattle and Portland can become top markets. My biggest worry would be supersaturation. If you look at Florida the fans tend to split when you have a Miami team and a Central Florida team. When you look at a fan census of FLA you see Florida is pro Miami except for a band through the middle of the state for TB teams. Same in NFL and MLB. But they have extra fans to make it work.

The distance between Portland and Seattle is large but to put two teams in the area might be over saturation.

I am waiting.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:39 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
The problem is Paul Allen owns the Rose Garden. Is he going to allow an NHL team to compete against the Trail Blazers if he's not the owner of the NHL team?

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:59 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
The problem is Paul Allen owns the Rose Garden. Is he going to allow an NHL team to compete against the Trail Blazers if he's not the owner of the NHL team?
he allows the Winterhawks to play in the arena. If he's too silly to throw away rental money for petty business, he does not end up where he is now.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:00 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Just checked the past 3 yrs record vs. the teams in the new proposed conference.

CHI: 6-4-1
DAL: 5-3-0
MIN: 7-2-5
COL: 8-1-0
STL: 6-5-2
WIN: 2-0-1

Not one losing record.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:58 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Just checked the past 3 yrs record vs. the teams in the new proposed conference.

CHI: 6-4-1
DAL: 5-3-0
MIN: 7-2-5
COL: 8-1-0
STL: 6-5-2
WIN: 2-0-1

Not one losing record.
Oh I also meant to ask Kansas City with an NHL team? Hard to imagine that.

GwtGlads2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:15 PM
adsfan

Quote:

Even better IMO...

Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
Detroit
Columbus
Washington
Carolina
Tampa
Florida

Toronto
Montreal
Ottawa
Buffalo
Boston
Brooklyn
New York
New Jersey

Chicago
Colorado
Dallas
Minnesota
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg

Anaheim
Calgary
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Phoenix
San Jose
Vancouver
I will disagree. It will help the Panthers attendance. The week around Christmas to New Year sees a huge migration of Canadians to Florida. I went to a Panthers game around Dec 27, 2011. It was a near sellout and 1/3 of the fans were cheering for Toronto. It was a great game and plenty of money for the home team. I assume that many of the visiting fans can't get or afford tickets in Toronto. It helps the Panthers, the Leafs get fans on the road and it helps the league.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:16 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwtGlads2013 View Post
Oh I also meant to ask Kansas City with an NHL team? Hard to imagine that.

Most of the speculation is expansion to SEA and KC. But Portland has a viable arena, Markham will QC will. What frightens me is this. A couple of CAN billionaires trying to poach FLA teams.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:20 PM
adsfan

Quote:
I know. I grew up there as a Flyers fan.

But they have to sacrifice somewhere, either give up NYC or give up Pittsburgh.

IMO it's pretty easy to separate them from Pittsburgh, they were split up in the 90's. But That's probably the biggest rivalry in the league right now, so there's definitely no way they will be split up anytime soon. That's the shortsightedness of the league though.

Will fans in Florida really get up 12-16 times a season, which is close to half of the home schedule, for the teams from Canada? I don't buy the "snowbird" argument that Canadian fans give, it's just not that much of a boost in Tampa and Miami.

Keeping PHI-PIT rivalry together and adding DET to it would be a decent option to keeping PHI with the NYC teams. It also bolsters the SE Division teams who would be much more interested in PIT and DET than MTL and TOR.

In NYC the Rangers get more O6 rivalries with Boston, Toronto and Montreal. Isles and Devils really aren't a factor, they're happy to tag along with the Rangers. Although it would be neat to have the Rangers and Isles split up to share NYC with two different divisions.

It all just highlights the advantage that those teams have being in such close proximity to one another and the fact that they are allowed to be so stubborn to force the league's hand rather than sacrifice in the short term for the better of the league.
The one game I went to had 1/3 Leafs fans. Obviously, I don't know how often that happens. See post #17 above. Any Panthers fans out there?

Old
02-24-2013, 01:22 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Most of the speculation is expansion to SEA and KC. But Portland has a viable arena, Markham will QC will. What frightens me is this. A couple of CAN billionaires trying to poach FLA teams.
Ballsy probably won't get a team. There are only so many cities in Canada that can support an NHL team.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:25 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

But now Nashville has an unfair chance of making the playoffs!

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:29 PM
adsfan

My cousin in Ft Lauderdale would like having Detroit in the conference. He is from Detroit originally.

BTW, in the NFL, Buffalo and Miami are in the same division, along with the Pats and Jets.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:35 PM
sighthndlady

I can live with this arrangement. We'll miss the Detroit games, but I think we've outgrown the desperate need to have the Wings in our division, and with both the Blues and the Blackhawks currently very good, there are plenty of in-division draws left. That one home game against the Wings will be a doozy, though.

So, if I understand it correctly, we would play a home/away pair with everybody outside our division and play everybody inside 6 times. That would give us for our away schedule: 4 PTZ games; 6 MTZ games, 16 ETZ games, 15 CTZ games. I like the idea of only 4 games 2 hours off our time zone, frankly. The ETZ teams will have to play 8 games 2+ hours off (at Western + Colorado)

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:52 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
hope this holds true, cant wait to make regular visits to Nashville

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:00 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
Ballsy probably won't get a team. There are only so many cities in Canada that can support an NHL team.
There's a lot more than Balls there. Canada's economy is going up Balls might not be in the top 20 in his own country. I could see Rogers say, "ok Bell we will sell you this half of the Leafs for exchange for territorial rights in Toronto.'

Quebecor, huge company in the QC to get the QC rights.

Trust me Balls is dead in the water, but there are other threats for relocation