HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top 6 without Malkin

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-24-2013, 10:53 AM
  #51
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...
 
PKV Jungle Friends's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Top of The Blacklist
Country: United States
Posts: 4,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
I wouldn't have minded if they would've just moved Sutter up and left everything else alone. Keep in mind though that Dupuis scored most of his 25 goals last year without Crosby, so it's not like he's completely dependent on Crosby to produce.
This is true enough, but I'm just not in favor of the wholesale change of lines just because of one guy being out, even though that one guy is Malkin.

The only thing I really like about this is that BB gets top 6 time, which it will be interesting to see how he handles.

If we were going to re-shuffle the deck then I would have done this:

BB-Sid-Dupuis
Kunitz-Sutt-Neal

PKV Jungle Friends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:57 AM
  #52
SEALBound
Registered User
 
SEALBound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,130
vCash: 500
I think it should be:

Kunitz Crosby Neal
Sullivan Malkin Kennedy


Wait...what?

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:04 AM
  #53
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
I wouldn't have minded if they would've just moved Sutter up and left everything else alone. Keep in mind though that Dupuis scored most of his 25 goals last year without Crosby, so it's not like he's completely dependent on Crosby to produce.
A lot of that came with a right handed playmaker on LW in Sullivan and a big gangly center too. Obviously BB and Sutter aren't Sully and Staal, but the basic make-up of the line is pretty similar.

I trust Dupuis to bring value to a line like that more than Neal.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:49 AM
  #54
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP
 
wheelz87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 2,232
vCash: 500
I just feel Bennett again is going to go to waste without having a great center with him. BB, Sutter, and TK didn't do **** when they were together, and I don't see that changing now. I want to see Beau's creativity shine, and it's not happening with Sutter.

Oh well, atleast Neal is up with Sid.

wheelz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:57 AM
  #55
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz87 View Post
I just feel Bennett again is going to go to waste without having a great center with him. BB, Sutter, and TK didn't do **** when they were together, and I don't see that changing now. I want to see Beau's creativity shine, and it's not happening with Sutter.

Oh well, atleast Neal is up with Sid.
we all complain about our troubles developing young forwards, but we can't completely base our lines around Bennett here.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:14 PM
  #56
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,357
vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
Per Dejan:
Thank ****ing God Bylsma has more sense than I gave him credit for.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:23 PM
  #57
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Welp as of now we probably need a RW, not a LW (for Geno, not Sid).

Kunitz - Sid - Neal will stick indefinitely IMO (as long as they're healthy) *knock on wood*.

Those guys will produce and that's all the excuse the coaches need.
Yep. And, you know what, I've got no problem with it. Geno never 'needed' Neal. What he needs is what he's only really gotten in his career from Malone, Talbot, and Kunitz.

Kunitz-Sid-Neal should kill it. I hope they do. And, my only hope now is that Ray Shero doesn't screw the pooch like he did last deadline when it was Sid coming back and the need for two linemates was clear.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:27 PM
  #58
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Yep. And, you know what, I've got no problem with it. Geno never 'needed' Neal. What he needs is what he's only really gotten in his career from Malone, Talbot, and Kunitz.

Kunitz-Sid-Neal should kill it. I hope they do. And, my only hope now is that Ray Shero doesn't screw the pooch like he did last deadline when it was Sid coming back and the need for two linemates was clear.
Cooke - Geno - Kennedy

because he makes them look good!!!

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:51 PM
  #59
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP
 
wheelz87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 2,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
we all complain about our troubles developing young forwards, but we can't completely base our lines around Bennett here.
Absolutely not. Kunitz is what he is though, a north and south type player. He (obviously) is going to produce best with Sid, but really, he's going to play his game no matter who his center is. Bennett I think can really stand out with Crosby because of his creativeness/high offensive IQ that won't be on display with Sutter.

wheelz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:01 PM
  #60
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13
 
mrzeigler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 3,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
I was KILLED for saying this a few years ago before Jeffrey got the ACL injury, but I said prior to that injury that I saw him as the "heir apparent" to Staal for the 3rd line. So basically, the decision is extremly simple:

-Sid centres line #1
-whoever has better chemistry between Neal/etc. on #2, between Jeffrey and Sutter centres line #2
-whoever has lesser chemistry between Neal/etc. on #2, between Jeffrey and Sutter centres line #2

...while still looking for upgrades on the wing, of course. Jeffrey is certainly capable, if Sutter is not; and we HAVE TO showcase the former's potential and trade/value if we don't plan on making him a permanent part of this team starting immediately -- or else he askes for a trade, and his value goes down the poop-shoot, as Frank Zappa would say (Bobby Brown reference for those who know the song; for those who don't, find it on youtube, unedited of course -- cannot post link, too profane!! ).
I'm on the exact same wavelength as you on this.

mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:02 PM
  #61
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz87 View Post
Absolutely not. Kunitz is what he is though, a north and south type player. He (obviously) is going to produce best with Sid, but really, he's going to play his game no matter who his center is. Bennett I think can really stand out with Crosby because of his creativeness/high offensive IQ that won't be on display with Sutter.
Kunitz is indeed what he is. And currently, that is a better hockey player than Beau Bennett. Sid and Neal need a north south guy to get pucks from the corners and whatnot more than they need another playmaker. That 2nd line needs someone with some creativity.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:55 PM
  #62
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP
 
wheelz87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 2,232
vCash: 500
Though is pointless to have that skill play with Dups/Sutter? And it's not like BB is an unreal hockey player yet, like you said. But Bennett can make a few plays each game with his skill that can be utilized with Sid/Neal that can ultimately be the difference. I mean, we're counting on who to carry that 2nd line? Sutter?

Well see what happens. I think the BB-Sutter-Dupuis line is going to be invisible though. No toughness on that line. Defensively solid, but not a whole lot more.

wheelz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:01 PM
  #63
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoryville
Country: United States
Posts: 25,486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Yep. And, you know what, I've got no problem with it. Geno never 'needed' Neal. What he needs is what he's only really gotten in his career from Malone, Talbot, and Kunitz.
Kunitz is not the reason he and Neal combined for 90G and 100A last year. Didn't hurt certainly and was a great line, but Geno with Kunitz and some other random winger like Dupuis, and those numbers don't happen. Geno and Neal open up space for one another / keep the D honest. Kunitz isn't going ot open up space for anyone but he is a great puck hound.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:00 PM
  #64
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz87 View Post
Though is pointless to have that skill play with Dups/Sutter? And it's not like BB is an unreal hockey player yet, like you said. But Bennett can make a few plays each game with his skill that can be utilized with Sid/Neal that can ultimately be the difference. I mean, we're counting on who to carry that 2nd line? Sutter?

Well see what happens. I think the BB-Sutter-Dupuis line is going to be invisible though. No toughness on that line. Defensively solid, but not a whole lot more.
Dupuis can play with skill. He was great with Sully and Staal most of last season. Bennett and Sutter are similar players. Not as good, but similar style.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:44 PM
  #65
Nietzsche Zone Play
Registered User
 
Nietzsche Zone Play's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 343
vCash: 500
It's a good sign that Beau has yet to register a point and has only played a handful of games and yet people are arguing that he should be on the top line.

Nietzsche Zone Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:51 PM
  #66
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Kunitz is not the reason he and Neal combined for 90G and 100A last year. Didn't hurt certainly and was a great line, but Geno with Kunitz and some other random winger like Dupuis, and those numbers don't happen. Geno and Neal open up space for one another / keep the D honest. Kunitz isn't going ot open up space for anyone but he is a great puck hound.
1. Kunitz is the reason Malkin and Neal combined for 90G and 100A last season. Or, put another way, having a guy like Kunitz is the reason. With Steve Sullivan (or any of the **** they've played with this year), it's a different story.

2. The one thing that has been consistent in Malkin's most consistent runs, especially after Bylsma became coach, is having that guy who's going to take the dirty work burden away from Malkin. Whether it was Malone or Talbot during the cup run or Kunitz, the common ingredient was having a guy on his line who allowed Malkin to play to his strengths.

Neal isn't the essential ingredient for a successful Malkin line. We call him 'elite' here, but what's really elite is his shot. In every other respect, I don't think you can argue that he brings more to the table than Kunitz or even Dupuis necessarily.

That's not meant to diminish what Neal actually does. Having a guy like him means more points. BUT, having a guy like Malone or Talbot in the playoff run or a Kulemin (I wish) is what makes a Malkin line go because a player like that helps Malkin go.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.