HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winger Acquisition Thread | Part V: Wingers in the Hands of an Angry (Hockey) God

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 11:41 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
So if we were to use my proposal as a base, and we take out Foligno and slot in Regher, would that proposal still stand or would we have to add?
It would be close to that, in my mind... but I'm not the GM of the Sabres. I wish I was. I'd be rich and I could funnel all of my good players to Pittsburgh.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
Quote:
So if we were to use my proposal as a base, and we take out Foligno and slot in Regher, would that proposal still stand or would we have to add?
I don't think they'd feel that package is near enough for Pominville and Regehr.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
They will need a d-prospect going their way I would think. I have no idea how to value picks in a trade though

Old
02-24-2013, 11:44 AM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
It would be close to that, in my mind... but I'm not the GM of the Sabres. I wish I was. I'd be rich and I could funnel all of my good players to Pittsburgh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I don't think they'd feel that package is near enough for Pominville and Regehr.
So in your opinion, what would close the deal for sure.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:45 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
The collective panicking of their respective fan bases has me really wanting Okposo and Pominville, even though I know neither will happen
Yah seems unlikely (all the Pomniville stuff). Even the offer I posted earlier I doubt they'd take unless they went into rebuild mode. Buffalo's problem has always been that Vanek is their best talent and he's streaky. When he's on he's every bit as dangerous as Neal and more so. When he's off he's really off. Buffalo has always been a collection of pretty good players, but really no one who can take over a game on a regular basis. Pominville, Roy before, Jesus Ennis, sometimes Stafford... they're all pretty good players but none of them are going to lead you to a Cup.

Buffalo needs to make a big splash and I there aren't many teams that would fit the bill as trading partner. Maybe San Jose if things really go in the toilet there. Buffalo could benefit huge from getting a guy like Marleau or Thornton and/or Boyle.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:48 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Yah seems unlikely (all the Pomniville stuff). Even the offer I posted earlier I doubt they'd take unless they went into rebuild mode. Buffalo's problem has always been that Vanek is their best talent and he's streaky. When he's on he's every bit as dangerous as Neal and more so. When he's off he's really off. Buffalo has always been a collection of pretty good players, but really no one who can take over a game on a regular basis. Pominville, Roy before, Jesus Ennis... they're all pretty good players but none of them are going to lead you to a Cup.

Buffalo needs to make a big splash and I there aren't many teams that would fit the bill as trading partner. Maybe San Jose if things really go in the toilet there. Buffallo could benefit huge from getting a guy like Marleau or Thornton and/or Boyle.
Will they [need to make a big splash]? I can't tell if they are still going to try to make the playoffs or if they are going full rebuild.

If they go full rebuild, I think we make good partners. If they go splash, you're right, we got nothin'. The nice thing about Niskanen (or Despres, if they move him) is that both are young enough to help rebuilding teams but good enough to help teams making a push. So I think we have some attractive pieces either way. Just a matter of convincing the other team to pull the trigger.

By the way, off-topic, but Elliotte Friedman said he wouldn't be surprised if Tom Fitzgerald or Jason Botterill became the next GM of the Sabres, should Regier be fired.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:49 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Yah seems unlikely (all the Pomniville stuff). Even the offer I posted earlier I doubt they'd take unless they went into rebuild mode. Buffalo's problem has always been that Vanek is their best talent and he's streaky. When he's on he's every bit as dangerous as Neal and more so. When he's off he's really off. Buffalo has always been a collection of pretty good players, but really no one who can take over a game on a regular basis. Pominville, Roy before, Jesus Ennis... they're all pretty good players but none of them are going to lead you to a Cup.

Buffalo needs to make a big splash and I there aren't many teams that would fit the bill as trading partner. Maybe San Jose if things really go in the toilet there. Buffallo could benefit huge from getting a guy like Marleau or Thornton and/or Boyle.
I think their biggest problem is that Jordan freaking Leopold is on their top d pairing and Tyler Ennis is their best center. Though Hodgson looks pretty solid and they have Grigorenko

Old
02-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Will they [need to make a big splash]? I can't tell if they are still going to try to make the playoffs or if they are going full rebuild.

If they go full rebuild, I think we make good partners. If they go splash, you're right, we got nothin'. The nice thing about Niskanen (or Despres, if they move him) is that both are young enough to help rebuilding teams but good enough to help teams making a push. So I think we have some attractive pieces either way. Just a matter of convincing the other team to pull the trigger.

By the way, off-topic, but Elliotte Friedman said he wouldn't be surprised if Tom Fitzgerald or Jason Botterill became the next GM of the Sabres, should Regier be fired.
They aren't making the playoffs. No way. But they might not go full rebuild either. They have three young forwards with a ton of potential in Hodgson, Foligno and Grigorenko. They have a great goalie; though he's not young anymore. Their defense is awful though. We could help them in that regard quite a bit. Especially if they are looking more long term with a prospect. Niskanen + Maatta or something would be quite a pickup for them.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:53 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

Quote:
So in your opinion, what would close the deal for sure.
Keep in mind, you're asking what deal would appease the HF fanbase. That's different than what deal would actually get Buffalo's GM to bite. As we've seen countless times, HF overrates their players, and thus it would likely take a package of Bennett, Morrow, a 1st, and TK or some such for the HF crowd to even consider it.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:57 AM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Keep in mind, you're asking what deal would appease the HF fanbase. That's different than what deal would actually get Buffalo's GM to bite. As we've seen countless times, HF overrates their players, and thus it would likely take a package of Bennett, Morrow, a 1st, and TK or some such for the HF crowd to even consider it.
That's a basis of a deal to bring in Perry...no one in the Penguins organization would consider that...

Old
02-24-2013, 11:59 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
What Shero needed to bring in was a defensive adjustments last trade deadline

So we've spent so much time talking about wingers that would fit Sid, but if KCN becomes a permanent line then who are some players that would best fit Geno other than Kulemin?
I'll put it to you this way: If KCN worked great (assuming it ever happens) and Ray Shero then got Kulemin and Malone (with TB eating 1/3 of the cap hit) for Geno, a MMK line would competely **** up the rest of the league.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:00 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I'll put it to you this way: If KCN worked great (assuming it ever happens) and Ray Shero then got Kulemin and Malone (with TB eating 1/3 of the cap hit) for Geno, a MMK line would competely **** up the rest of the league.

that said, do you think Toronto is interested in moving Kulemin at this point?

Old
02-24-2013, 12:05 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post

Interested? With Frattin and Lupul due back, I'm sure they're interested in moving a player or two and may even entertain moving Kulemin. Interested in moving him for TK and a 2nd? Different story.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:08 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Shero is going to have to make several moves for that to happen... 5 weeks to go.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:10 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Interested? With Frattin and Lupul due back, I'm sure they're interested in moving a player or two and may even entertain moving Kulemin. Interested in moving him for TK and a 2nd? Different story.
Doesn't help that they have an abundance of D... not much we can offer unless its a first in a very deep draft.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:10 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Shero is going to have to make several moves for that to happen... 5 weeks to go.

Won't happen. With uncertainty around Malkin and despite need for two top six wingers when Malkin returns, Shero will stick with 2012 deadline model and say 'I like my team as it is now' . . . K5.

Quote:
Doesn't help that they have an abundance of D... not much we can offer unless its a first in a very deep draft.
Heaven forbid the post cup Shero ever consider doing that.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:12 PM
mpp9

Quote:
I don't know what we have that would improve their team. But Kulemin is definitely looking expendable for them.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:14 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I don't know what we have that would improve their team. But Kulemin is definitely looking expendable for them.
Fingers crossed but I'm sure that we wouldn't be the only team inquiring. Nonis has recently stated that they're looking for a young starter. Not much we can offer in regards to goalies, unfortunately. At this point, unless its a 1st or a high-end prospect, I do not see him trading us Kulemin for TK or scraps.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:15 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Very curious to see who'll be scouting us tonight.

I'd put my $$ on the Wild. LOL

Old
02-24-2013, 12:18 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Fingers crossed but I'm sure that we wouldn't be the only team inquiring. Nonis has recently stated that they're looking for a young starter. Not much we can offer in regards to goalies, unfortunately. At this point, unless its a 1st or a high-end prospect, I do not see him trading us Kulemin for TK or scraps.
Well, I suppose the question then should be what improving Geno's on ice performance is worth to the Pens. It's never been worth much more than the scraps, but maybe this time will be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Improve immediately? Nobody. Then again, no team will give them that. Improve in terms of assets for the longer term? Yes, we've got that if Shero is willing to part with them in a deal that would involve risk and the lack of appearance of an immediate win in the eyes of those who determine who wins trades.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

Why would Toronto move Kulemin when they're in the playoff hunt? Even with bodies returning, I'd guess a guy like MacArthur would be moved before Kulemin to make space.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:25 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

I think Toronto moves General MacArthur before they move Kulemin, not sure if they feel the need to move multiple forwards or not to make room for Lupes and Frattin.

I guess part of it depends on what they decide to do with Kessel.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:26 PM
Hottubber

I think the Pens should be targeting Brower. Signed to a reasonable contract, could play on any line, is a big, physical body and can put the puck in the net (8 goals this season)

Not sure if Caps would deal him, but they do need to shake things up.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:27 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
I think the Pens should be targeting Brower. Signed to a reasonable contract, could play on any line, is a big, physical body and can put the puck in the net (8 goals this season)

Not sure if Caps would deal him, but they do need to shake things up.
Personally, I'd like Brouwer or Ward. Don't see the Caps dealing either to us

Old
02-24-2013, 12:28 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Why would Toronto move Kulemin when they're in the playoff hunt? Even with bodies returning, I'd guess a guy like MacArthur would be moved before Kulemin to make space.
Would they rather get a 2nd for Mac or a 1st/D prospect+ for Kulemin.

Closed Thread