HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Ryan O'Reilly : Money-Money-Money-Money...Mo-ney!! Thread #6

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 12:52 PM
Rhaego

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
It will - ideally - still be quality.

Example: the rumored deal with the New York Rangers where Colorado reportedly tried to acquire Michael Del Zotto and - as speculated by Elliott Friedman - Derek Stepan.

Another example: St. Louis's end of the Erik Johnson trade.
I'd rather get another Erik Johnson tbh

Old
02-24-2013, 12:55 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
It will - ideally - still be quality.

Example: the rumored deal with the New York Rangers where Colorado reportedly tried to acquire Michael Del Zotto and - as speculated by Elliott Friedman - Derek Stepan.

Another example: St. Louis's end of the Erik Johnson trade.
Out of curiosity, where did Friedman report that the other piece was Derek Stepan?

Images of broken light which dance before me like a million eyes, they call me on and on across the universe - The Beatles
Old
02-24-2013, 12:57 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Out of curiosity, where did Friedman report that the other piece was Derek Stepan?
He was just speculating and in the article also mentioned that he was probably wrong.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:57 PM
shadow1

vCash: 500
Quote:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...nd-safety.html

Quote:
As mentioned on Hotstove Tonight, Colorado began the process of approaching teams it considers possible trade partners. One was definitely the New York Rangers. I had originally thought the deal involved Michael del Zotto and Derek Stepan for O'Reilly and another defenceman. However, it was strongly denied that Stepan was ever discussed, so I think I was wrong. The Denver Post's Adrian Dater has reported the Avalanche are not as interested in getting a centre back.
It was only speculation on his part. But still a hopeful thought.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:58 PM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Hey, TPS. You had said yesterday that the Jets were the first team to be made aware of what type of Contract that O'Reilly would be looking for with them.

Would you agree that this would mean that he's just one step closer to being dealt? (Not necessarily to the Jets, but just the idea that another team now knows what he wants)
I could be completely wrong and off base, but I would think if the Jets were given any sort of permission to discuss what O'Reilly wanted contract wise, would that then suggest the "pieces" of the deal between both teams is complete, or near complete?

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Old
02-24-2013, 01:00 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachy Goj View Post
I could be completely wrong and off base, but I would think if the Jets were given any sort of permission to discuss what O'Reilly wanted contract wise, would that then suggest the "pieces" of the deal between both teams is complete, or near complete?
TPS said they were informed of his contract demands, I don't think that means they directly spoke to Ryan but more so were given information on what he wanted to sign to help them decide if further negotiations were necessary.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:02 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Quite honestly Zach, your guess would be as good as mine.

Perhaps it could be a situation that talks are "good/progressive" between the Jets and Avs that the Jets either A) Sought permission to talk w/ the O'Reilly people about that or B) Since he's an RFA they just asked him anyway

I would think scenario A would be a little more likely, just out of sheer courtesy, like "Hey, we're gonna go ahead and talk to Ryan's Agent, and see what numbers come our way..." type deal

Old
02-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
My best guess is that there is some traction but it's not near complete.

For example Winnipeg says we're willing to offer up Little + for ROR, but the + depends on the contract he wants.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
The Jets don't need permission to talk to O'Reilly. He's technically an RFA so any team can talk to him about a contract.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:56 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Avs could just be playing Winnipeg here if they're not getting the price they want from other teams.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:59 PM
Ivan13
Problem child

IMHO it would take a pretty big bounty for the Avs to trade Radar to one of their future conference rivals.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:07 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
IMHO it would take a pretty big bounty for the Avs to trade Radar to one of their future conference rivals.
Conference rivalries never stopped them before...

Old
02-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Bubba Thudd
Come At Me, Bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Conference rivalries never stopped them before...
but this is a future conference rival...

Old
02-24-2013, 02:31 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

I'm wondering if the Avs would be interested in a rental type player, simply to flip at the trade deadline? Not a core piece of a RoR trade, but an "addition to".

Old
02-24-2013, 02:32 PM
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor

The more I read/hear about this RoR situation, the more I think it will end up being 2 top prospects coming back instead of a roster player + a top prospect. I just can't see a team giving up a very good young roster player along with a top prospect. I could also see a top prospect + a high 1st round.

I think the only two young roster players we have a chance to get are Shore and Burmistrov but it would really depend of the + coming with either of them.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:35 PM
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfan View Post
The more I read/hear about this RoR situation, the more I think it will end up being 2 top prospects coming back instead of a roster player + a top prospect. I just can't see a team giving up a very good young roster player along with a top prospect. I could also see a top prospect + a high 1st round.

I think the only two young roster players we have a chance to get are Shore and Burmistrov but it would really depend of the + coming with either of them.
I'd like to add that one of those top prospects would be a guy ready to make the jump to the NHL.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:06 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
I'd rather get another Erik Johnson tbh
I'd rather not.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:20 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
I'd rather not.
Aye.

Right now EJ remains an unknown. We all love him, but it is just as sure he becomes a Rathje as he does a Pronger. Or not even the former. Right now he's a nice defender, with the promise to be great. Even if he never gets there....OK. But to want another question mark on the blue line? As fans, this has been our problem these last 5 years. Lets do better for ourselves and hope for something happy.

By the way, this is ME saying that - I am the biggest cynic I know.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:52 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
Aye.

Right now EJ remains an unknown. We all love him, but it is just as sure he becomes a Rathje as he does a Pronger. Or not even the former. Right now he's a nice defender, with the promise to be great. Even if he never gets there....OK. But to want another question mark on the blue line? As fans, this has been our problem these last 5 years. Lets do better for ourselves and hope for something happy.

By the way, this is ME saying that - I am the biggest cynic I know.
I wish we could get an older player like Pronger to put next to EJ. I remember how EJ played in the Olympics around better players - he was great when he wasn't expected to shoulder the load.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:13 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
The Jets don't need permission to talk to O'Reilly. He's technically an RFA so any team can talk to him about a contract.
I don't think that's necessarily correct is it? GM's can send him an offer sheet, but I don't think they can negotiate, or talk to him about his demands without permission.

Someone correct me if they see something in the CBA that contradicts this.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:14 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
I wish we could get an older player like Pronger to put next to EJ. I remember how EJ played in the Olympics around better players - he was great when he wasn't expected to shoulder the load.
Sure, but we're not getting that with O'Reilly. And, for where this team is at, we have no use for a Bourque.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:17 PM
Freudian
calmer than you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I don't think that's necessarily correct is it? GM's can send him an offer sheet, but I don't think they can negotiate, or talk to him about his demands without permission.

Someone correct me if they see something in the CBA that contradicts this.
They can talk to the agent, I believe.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:21 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
They can talk to the agent, I believe.
Do you have anything that might confirm this by any chance?

Why would O'Reilly have given his contract demands to Winnipeg for the first time recently if that were the case? GM's would have asked as soon as the season started and he was a hold out, if not sooner like in the summer. Just to get an idea of whether they should try and trade for him. That would be the first thing they did.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:28 PM
bohlmeister
Horny for Offense!

vCash: 400
I would think that ROR is Colorado's property, and their permission is needed to talk to him or his agent.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:28 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Do you have anything that might confirm this by any chance?

Why would O'Reilly have given his contract demands to Winnipeg for the first time recently if that were the case? GM's would have asked as soon as the season started and he was a hold out, if not sooner like in the summer. Just to get an idea of whether they should try and trade for him. That would be the first thing they did.
Two things: The Winnipeg stuff is pure conjecture.

GMs can't ask. They have to act.

Closed Thread