HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part VII)

View Poll Results: Does Butler get claimed on waivers?
Yes 16 36.36%
No 28 63.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 01:25 AM
nugg
McDive for McDavid

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePSEGPowerPoster View Post
This is why Zach was so valuable to the Devils. He might regress, permanently, wherever else he goes but I think in our system with this team he was and still is perfect. Brilliant on the PK, brilliant on both ends, and fantastic on the shootout.

We are a very weak shootout team without Zach, who made us a strong shootout team. Kovy...Elias...and pray for rain? Just a minor concern but one worth noting.

I think Lou will find that missing link in the mold of a poor man's Zach. Someone like a Damien Brunner: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=96871.
It's very frustrating, just like 2001-02. The loss of our top sniper (Mogilny) took away the benefit of having two powerful scoring lines, which had the Devils scoring just under 300 goals in 00-01. With no one able to replace Mogs on the line with Gomer, the A line got shut down, then disbanded. The trade for Nieuwy and Grumpypants helped, but paid off big the following season. Perhaps a similar trade will take place, and reap similar benefits. Only time will tell.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:26 AM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Where's Jim these days to rip the Kovy signing? Tell me more about how Parise left solely because of how much money IK got...

Tell me more about how IK is "the elephant in the room" that divided it and caused numerous grown men to pout their way out..

That lazy greedy Russian. Post our lineup without Kovy and Parise.....Let me know how that looks.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:50 AM
nugg
McDive for McDavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Random guess what do you think the roster looks like in 5 years
Boucher-Loktionov-Kovalchuk
Tedenby-Josefson-Henrique
Matteau-Zajac-Clarkson
Hoeffel-Wohlberg-Coleman

Larsson-Merrill
Severson-Gelinas
Fayne-Urbom

Wedgewood
Frazee

Old
02-24-2013, 02:11 AM
MartysBetterThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugg View Post
Matteau-Zajac-Clarkson
Hoeffel-Wohlberg-Coleman

Larsson-Merrill
Severson-Gelinas
Fayne-Urbom

Wedgewood
Frazee
The first line looks amazing, assuming Boucher's skillset translates to the NHL. I have high hopes for the kid. Lokti's the real deal I think as well.

The second line...not so much...too many question marks. I think Teddy's a bust. He's been given every chance to succeed and he has not proven to be up to the challenge of being a top-six forward. I hope he has a Bernier-like career in his future as opposed to being a complete washout.

At $5 million/year, Zajac would be a very expensive (but solid) 3rd Line center. I think 8 years was a bit too long of a contract. 6 would have been better, so the veteran Zajac could get an Elias-like veteran contract sooner as opposed to having 35-year old Zajac costing us big bucks. Matteau and Clarkie will compliment each other very well. A 5-year-older Matteau will be the prototypical NHL power-forward hopefully and Clarkie will continue to be a rebound-hawk even as his physicality declines with age.

Don't even know the fouth-line names so nothing to say about that.

A Larsson-Merril pairing has me drooling. I imagine them as the next Stevens-Niedermeyer pair on this team. The rest of the defense is still really solid, though I'm surprised no Andy Greene.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:19 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartysBetterThanYou View Post
The first line looks amazing, assuming Boucher's skillset translates to the NHL. I have high hopes for the kid. Lokti's the real deal I think as well.

The second line...not so much...too many question marks. I think Teddy's a bust. He's been given every chance to succeed and he has not proven to be up to the challenge of being a top-six forward. I hope he has a Bernier-like career in his future as opposed to being a complete washout.

At $5 million/year, Zajac would be a very expensive (but solid) 3rd Line center. I think 8 years was a bit too long of a contract. 6 would have been better, so the veteran Zajac could get an Elias-like veteran contract sooner as opposed to having 35-year old Zajac costing us big bucks. Matteau and Clarkie will compliment each other very well. A 5-year-older Matteau will be the prototypical NHL power-forward hopefully and Clarkie will continue to be a rebound-hawk even as his physicality declines with age.

Don't even know the fouth-line names so nothing to say about that.

A Larsson-Merril pairing has me drooling. I imagine them as the next Stevens-Niedermeyer pair on this team. The rest of the defense is still really solid, though I'm surprised no Andy Greene.
Yeah take out Urbom for Andy Greene. Urbom is way expendable to me. Greene will likely get more on his next contract, but remember he already took less to stay.

4th line is kinda meh. Hoeffel will likely never play for this team, and he has been ultra unimpressive to me in Albany. Wohlberg could be a good 4th liner.

Agreed with MBTY on Tedenby. I can't rule out him making it in the NHL, but I think his time with the Devils is up. For whatever reason you believe whether it's that it's his fault or the coaches, it's all the same result in the end. Pete is clearly not a big backer of his. Not that I disagree with him.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:40 AM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Quote:
Matteau-Zajac-Clarkson
Hoeffel-Wohlberg-Coleman

Larsson-Merrill
Severson-Gelinas
Fayne-Urbom

Wedgewood
Frazee
Wishful thinking at its best right here. No offense. I guarantee our roster looks nothing like this in five years. I dare not to make a guess because it's impossible to tell.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:59 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDevil View Post
Wishful thinking at its best right here. No offense. I guarantee our roster looks nothing like this in five years. I dare not to make a guess because it's impossible to tell.
Also we gotta take into account other forward draft picks that have yet to be drafted.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:32 AM
Devils1029

Does anyone else think that if we can;t move Volchenkov, that after his play this season, he becomes a likely candidate for an amnesty buyout this year? With a few more years at 4 mil and a no trade, I think it makes too much sense not to consider it.

We've added to the front lines this year with Poni, Lokti, and Butler and still have Tedenby and YaYo and Zubrus could return this year. We've all been focused on adding a forward but I think we need to look to trying to land a solid d-man that is more mobile than A-train, plays the right side and can be paired on the PK with Salvador, and is not shy about throwing the body round. He does not need to be a point producing offensive guy. Any ideas? Then I agree with some prior posts that Sh-t-licky is not re-signed and Gelinas gets his crack next year (and is replaced in Albany by Merrill).

Old
02-24-2013, 07:17 AM
rrekaj13

In 5 years, its possible that only Zajac, Kovy, and Larsson will be here. Even Patty may retire at that point. Clarkson may regress. Way too many question marks. Defensemen fall off the cliff in terms of steadiness.

Pulled from a GDT on 10/31/2010:

Zach Parise - Dainius Zubrus - Jamie Langenbrunner
Brian Rolston - Travis Zajac - Ilkka Pikkarainen
Niclas Bergfors - Rob Niedermayer - David Clarkson
Andrew Peters - Rod Pelley - PL3

Colin White - Mike Mottau
Bryce Salvador - Cory Murphy
Andy Greene - Mark Fraser

Martin Brodeur
Yann Danis

Key Injuries:
Patrik Elias (groin)
Paul Martin (fractured arm)
Johnny Oduya (lower body)
Jay Pandolfo (dislocated shoulder)

Only 7 of those players (including Elias [injured]) are currently on the roster, and that was only 3 seasons ago. Can't expect Brodeur to still be here, Zubrus may be beyond his effectiveness, etc.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:37 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Matteau-Zajac-Clarkson
Hoeffel-Wohlberg-Coleman

Larsson-Merrill
Severson-Gelinas
Fayne-Urbom

Wedgewood
Frazee
This would probably be the first team in the NHL in the last 20 years to have 100% home grown talent. Also includes no draft picks from 2013-2017.

Point being, it's impossible to tell the roster 5 years from now. Hell, it's impossible to tell the roster 2 years from now.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:59 AM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Yeah it lacks of free agents quite a bit. Add Malkin and Lundqvist.

Old
02-24-2013, 08:31 AM
Thunderfest
The Wumpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrekaj13 View Post

Martin Brodeur
Yann Danis
Wow, the lineup just looks so wrong without Kovy. A giant gaping hole.

That lineup looks wrong for a lot of reasons, though.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:25 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
damn no fans and no prospects still?
It's weird hearing it from our own fans too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartysBetterThanYou View Post
A Larsson-Merril pairing has me drooling. I imagine them as the next Stevens-Niedermeyer pair on this team.
This is what I'm hoping for too. We need that sort of legendary pairing, two #1, gamebreaking defencemen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Also we gotta take into account other forward draft picks that have yet to be drafted.
Also UFA signings and trades. Like Apice said, it's impossible to predict the roster two years from now, let alone five. Five years ago, did anybody's Devils roster predictions for 2013 include Kovalchuk? Of course not.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:43 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
This would probably be the first team in the NHL in the last 20 years to have 100% home grown talent. Also includes no draft picks from 2013-2017.

Point being, it's impossible to tell the roster 5 years from now. Hell, it's impossible to tell the roster 2 years from now.
Even that's not 100% 'homegrown' since we traded for Kovy and Lokti lol

But yeah you can't assume every prospect makes it or even gets kept. And like you said it's a pretty bad commentary if none of our draft picks the next five years are on the team (though at the rate Lou's going the next two drafts are dissapearing pick by pick lol).

Old
02-24-2013, 09:51 AM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfest View Post
Wow, the lineup just looks so wrong without Kovy. A giant gaping hole.

That lineup looks wrong for a lot of reasons, though.
That lineup looks absolutely terrible, look at the defense!

Old
02-24-2013, 09:52 AM
Czech Trio
from jersey

Quote:
Matteau-Zajac-Clarkson
Hoeffel-Wohlberg-Coleman

Larsson-Merrill
Severson-Gelinas
Fayne-Urbom

Wedgewood
Frazee
Bold is who I think will still be on the big squad.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:55 AM
Czech Trio
from jersey

Quote:
In 5 years, its possible that only Zajac, Kovy, and Larsson will be here. Even Patty may retire at that point. Clarkson may regress. Way too many question marks. Defensemen fall off the cliff in terms of steadiness.

Martin Brodeur
Yann Danis

Key Injuries:
Patrik Elias (groin)

Only 7 of those players (including Elias [injured]) are currently on the roster, and that was only 3 seasons ago. Can't expect Brodeur to still be here, Zubrus may be beyond his effectiveness, etc.
How was Bergfors supposed to pan out while playing with Rob Niedermayer and Clarkson or was this a point when he was pushed back for lack of good play.

I'm so happy Lou gutted this team of scrubs playing roles that are to high for them and these older timers.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:12 AM
AirheadPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils1029 View Post
Does anyone else think that if we can;t move Volchenkov, that after his play this season, he becomes a likely candidate for an amnesty buyout this year? With a few more years at 4 mil and a no trade, I think it makes too much sense not to consider it.

We've added to the front lines this year with Poni, Lokti, and Butler and still have Tedenby and YaYo and Zubrus could return this year. We've all been focused on adding a forward but I think we need to look to trying to land a solid d-man that is more mobile than A-train, plays the right side and can be paired on the PK with Salvador, and is not shy about throwing the body round. He does not need to be a point producing offensive guy. Any ideas? Then I agree with some prior posts that Sh-t-licky is not re-signed and Gelinas gets his crack next year (and is replaced in Albany by Merrill).
i wouldnt necessarily be against it, but that being said i dont see it happening. who knows though.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:26 AM
Zippy316

Quote:

Martin Brodeur
Yann Danis

Key Injuries:
Patrik Elias (groin)

Pikkarianen actually played on the second line at one point.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:53 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils1029 View Post

I would love if we bought him out. He's nothing more then a #6 who's earning double the salary he should actually be getting. Move him out of the lineup and yes, we are going to lose some muscle, but it's not all that hard to find and we would most definitely improve in every other department.

Posters were busting my chops when I wanted Colin White gone and Lou bought him out. Now, we have the same issue, with someone earning more money who's on a even longer term.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:04 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Trio View Post
How was Bergfors supposed to pan out while playing with Rob Niedermayer and Clarkson or was this a point when he was pushed back for lack of good play.

I'm so happy Lou gutted this team of scrubs playing roles that are to high for them and these older timers.
Bergfors did get top 6 time for a while. It doesn't matter cause he was a wash out anyway. Now he's just a mediocre KHL player.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:09 PM
Stevens 4

Ilkka Pikkarainen

Should bring him back, he was great.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:12 PM
apice3*

volchenkov wont be bought out, at least this offseason. He hasnt even been that bad this year. The PK sucks but its not solely his fault.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:14 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

That lineup I believe has gotta be from 10/31/09. Pikkawhateverhisnamewas, Peters, Yann Danis, Murphy, and Rob Nieder were no longer on our team in October of 2010. PL3 wasn't either. He was waived after the second game after starting all that **** in DC against the Caps.

With that said that lineup is absolutely brutal. Defense, and forwards. Yet somehow we had the best record in the league with that team in the first half. We stayed steadied in 1st with Patty out for the first month +

Cory Murphy on D? White and Mottau on the first pairing? A 4th line as bad as those Boulton-Janssen abominations last year when they were both in the lineup? Pikkawhatever on the 2nd line?

Old
02-24-2013, 01:17 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
volchenkov wont be bought out, at least this offseason. He hasnt even been that bad this year. The PK sucks but its not solely his fault.
I don't think he will either. Maybe 2014 if anything cause he'll only have 2 years left, and it won't be as bad. I'm not sure if we use 2 amnesty buyouts, but we will use one I'm sure. I'm convinced Lou will try to pawn off Tallinder for whatever he can. Part of a package, for a later round draft pick. If not then I can definitely see us buying him out in the Summer. I sooner see us buying out somebody with fewer years than a big contract.

We really have no contracts right now past the year 2016 except for Kovy, and Zajac. Volchenkov's ends that year. Greene's ends in 2015. So that's only 4 players signed past 2 years from now.

Closed Thread