Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Mike Yeo Firing Thread/Squad

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 09:07 AM
Abraham85

vCash: 500
This season isn't lost yet but the team needs to turn around quickly. Can him and bring in Ruff now.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:55 AM
TZM
Par too easy

I'm a little scared by those "we're not there yet, but we're close" comments from Yeo. After a crappy win he often says that the team did things right; well, part of it has to be true since win's a win.

I think one of the things why a guy like PMB doesn't play well now is because the game is too detailed. I mean, detailed game is great but there's a fine line between detailed hockey and fantasy hockey. To put it simply: the system is too strict. The dumping and chasing and puckless play goes too far, you need to control the puck to keep the momentum going. It's always easier to contain offensive threats along the boards than it is to contain them when there's a chance to outplay/outthink the opponent.

I still don't want to replace him. I believe the system can be great with a few corrections here and there.

E: What a messy post. Try to comprehend.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:03 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
If we fire Yeo right now, we can just as well give up for this season. It always takes time for a new coach to get his system working. At least with Yeo there's a theoretical chance this could get better.
Tell that to Ken Hitchcock. Or Darryl Sutter.

I was just thinking last night...we could have had Michel Therien. Instead he went to the East, where he currently has last year's 15th place team in 1st.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:04 AM
CG5

one of the things I've found really annoying is the constant uttering of the phrase(s), "it's a process" or "we're still learning". we've been hearing this since he arrived to coach this team. for god's sake they're professionals. just how difficult could this process be and really how much "learning" should be involved at this level? just play and do what got you here. seems like things are being made to be too complicated.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:05 AM
00xtremeninja
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
regardless of what happens, I think we can all agree.

NO MORE MOTHER EFFING ROOKIE HEAD COACHES.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:24 AM
countrygentleman
John Frusciante

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00xtremeninja View Post
regardless of what happens, I think we can all agree.

NO MORE MOTHER EFFING ROOKIE HEAD COACHES.
Honestly, what the heck was Fletcher thinking doing this twice in a row when we could have had established, professionals coaches instead. What a nightmare.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:35 AM
Sneaky Priest
See you Nov. 2

I don't know a ton about coaching hockey or managing a hockey team, but how much of the disappointing season thus far can be directly attributed to Yeo? Could it really be his fault. #curious

I honestly can't say i'd be mad if the Wild picked up Ruff and canned Yeo. However, i really doubt Fletch goes along that route. I consider Yeo to be Fletch's baby more or less.....

Old
02-24-2013, 10:46 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygentleman View Post
Honestly, what the heck was Fletcher thinking doing this twice in a row when we could have had established, professionals coaches instead. What a nightmare.
First one to appease the fans b/c he was a MN boy
Second one because he waas a Pittsburgh boy

Old
02-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Nsjohnson

I have excommunicated from the Church of Yeo. I don't see his system fitting our players, or at least he doesn't know how to utilize them. I'm not sure firing him this season is the best idea, but I certainly won't feel bad for the guy.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:04 AM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 410
From Russo:

http://m.startribune.com/?id=192640381

Sorry, if it has been posted. Didn't see it anywhere.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:53 AM
Ladde

Fletch make a move!

Old
02-24-2013, 12:06 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
In pro sports if the GM or owner has to publicly come out and say they have confidence in the coach what that really means is they have had to take the time to actually ponder whether they do indeed have confidence in the coach. It is often the kiss of death.
There does seem to be a fair amount of truth in this...

Old
02-24-2013, 12:11 PM
00xtremeninja
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

lol, is the new slogan for people on the wagon going to be "Let's get Ruff in Minnesota!" or "Ruff Riders, Mount Up!"

Old
02-24-2013, 12:12 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygentleman View Post
Again, you have to take risks to get ahead.

Yeo, at the time had a pretty damned good resume, and if we did not pick him up as coach, some other team defintely would have.

The other coaches available at that time all had certain stains on their reputation, none of them were perfectly ideal, so it was making the best choice possible.

Fletch took a risk, which he does from time to time. Sometimes they pay out, sometimes they don't. If it weren't for Fletch's risk taking we would not have the players we do now, or even close. Remember 2008? Mittens on the "top" line? And the rest of the craptastic roster with no decent prospects at all?

I am still happy with Flether and am glad we have a gm who is willing to take calculated risks.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:16 PM
00xtremeninja
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Fletcher is A-OK in my book. The dude actually does something and makes moves. Sure none of them have been 100%, but unlike Riser, he does something. I am all for keeping him around. But taking risks on 2 rookie head coaches is starting to look bad. Third time around he's gotta go with a vet that's available. We have the players, we have a damn good group of young guys who could grow leaps and bounds with the help of a vet coach.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:31 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00xtremeninja View Post
Fletcher is A-OK in my book. The dude actually does something and makes moves. Sure none of them have been 100%, but unlike Riser, he does something. I am all for keeping him around. But taking risks on 2 rookie head coaches is starting to look bad. Third time around he's gotta go with a vet that's available. We have the players, we have a damn good group of young guys who could grow leaps and bounds with the help of a vet coach.
I agree with this. It is time for a veteran coach to take the reigns.

What's sad is when our guys show up, they actually play pretty well. We have the skill. The problem does not appear to be that...

Old
02-24-2013, 12:40 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Another reason why Yeo was brought in was because he had coached a lot of our younger guys down in Houston and was familiar with their game. Considering though that essentially all of our good prospects like Granlund, Brodin, Coyle, Zucker, etc. weren't playing in Houston last season, I don't see how that was supposed to help much.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:40 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

Yeo's system is the reason we suck. It's a no brainier. Dump and chase is losing hockey. Good western conference teams skate puck in every time. Watch Wings/Preds last night.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:14 PM
mesamonster

I hear the war drums beating! Time to cut bait, hire an interim coach and wait for Tippett to be available at seasons end!

Old
02-24-2013, 01:17 PM
mesamonster

To those who want to retain Fletcher, dont forget he is the guy who was the author of two of the biggest mistakes in franchise history: The hiring of Richards and Yeo! Had he hired a veteran (ie: Tippett) we would not be in this situation. He can rectify his mistakes by making the hard decision now and let yeo go and go get a real NHL coach!

Old
02-24-2013, 01:22 PM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
I wonder how much of what Fletch says about Yeo in terms of support is true? Didn't Fletcher just say recently that he has full confidence in Yeo or gives him his full support or something like that?
That quote makes fletcher expendable as well! In my eyes he has been mediocre at best in his trades and player movement and gets an "F" for coaching selections! Mr. Leipold , you have two key management positions that need to be terminated!

Old
02-24-2013, 01:33 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

For all the posters trying to crucify Fletch for his couple mistakes, namely the hiring of the two coaches, just stop. You guys need to take a trip down memory lane and recall how things actually happened, when they happened, and why they happened. They were a risk, sure, so are many things, and calculated risks need to happen, or we would never get anywhere.

Find a solution to the problem, don't just make **** up out of thin air. Is Fletch the problem? No. Look at our roster;look at our prospects. True the coaches have not panned out, but these were very viable options at the time. They just didn't work. You're never going to bat 1000, but at least Leopold and Fletch are trying. It does take time, fyi, especially to dig out of that hole Dougy left us in.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:46 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
That quote makes fletcher expendable as well! In my eyes he has been mediocre at best in his trades and player movement and gets an "F" for coaching selections! Mr. Leipold , you have two key management positions that need to be terminated!
What do you expect Fletch to say if asked a question about the coach? He has to say exactly what he did if there is no replacement waiting out in the hall.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:50 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

The prospects won't mean anything unless you have a coach that teaches hockey the right way. They will never have the puck. They waste twice the energy trying to get the puck back once they dump. It's ****ing stupid. I know I'm not the only one here that see's what the hell is going on. Take off the Yeo blinders, watch another Nhl team for Christ's sakes. Watch how they play, with possession!!!! No ****ing dump and chase.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:53 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Oh come on are we really going after Fletcher now? Ridiculous.

Closed Thread