HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Last Movie You Watched and Rate It (Part XVI) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 11:19 PM
Stu Macher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I re-watched Mulholland Dr. recently, as I tend to do every few months. Cinematic perfection.
It really is. I go back and forth as to what my favorite David Lynch movie is. I'll see Mulholland Dr, and be like, "Well, that's so great, it's obviously that." Then I see Blue Velvet again, and feel the same way about that one. It goes back and forth. Both amazing movies.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:25 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I re-watched Mulholland Dr. recently, as I tend to do every few months. Cinematic perfection.
How have I never seen Mulholland Dr? Thanks for reminding me, I know I'm doing after the midterms.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:33 PM
Stu Macher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
How have I never seen Mulholland Dr? Thanks for reminding me, I know I'm doing after the midterms.
Oh boy, you are in for a treat.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:57 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
I still need to see the Elephant Man, Wild at Heart and Inland Empire; I also intend to rewatch Twin Peaks over my coming up break when I'm not doing homework and watching sports.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:03 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Inland Empire = mind**** of strange incomprehensible proportions

Old
02-24-2013, 01:14 AM
kihei

vCash: 194
I'm usually more down than up on Lynch but in Mulholland Drive he really does nail it.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:30 AM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
I'm usually more down than up on Lynch but in Mulholland Drive he really does nail it.
I'm biased, I'm a Peaks Freak (Like a Trekkie, but with Twin Peaks) and I've put him next to D.W. Griffith, Orson Welles and Stanley Kubrick on my personal American Film Mount Rushmore. The only film of his so far that I didn't really like was Lost Highway. I would see how bad Dune is, but I haven't gotten around to reading any of the books.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:34 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I really didn't like Eraserhead when I saw it ages ago...I think I could appreciate it more now but I don't think I'll ever love it. Aside from that, Wild at Heart is my least favorite. Haven't seen Dune or The Straight Story yet.

I was expecting to hate Inland Empire but I found that I enjoyed it very much. Even if I couldn't explain the plot(s) to you in a million years.

I also really liked his "Rabbits" internet series. Great mix of typical Lynchian weirdness/silliness/creepiness.

Old
02-24-2013, 08:41 AM
Stu Macher

Quote:
Is this where we learn that Kihei is, in fact, Roger Ebert?

Old
02-24-2013, 09:49 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
Is this where we learn that Kihei is, in fact, Roger Ebert?
Nah, he likes more movies than I do.

What is Lynch up to anyway? Will he emulate My Bloody Valentine and go 22 years before his next work?

Old
02-24-2013, 10:10 AM
Andy

The Lookout: 7/10
Interesting movie. The only problem is I just don't get some of the character motivations. Also some characters just disappear entirely from the story.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:12 AM
Melrose Munch

I thought kihei was Todd McCarthy

Mr Lynch has been doing a lot of shorts. I hope he takes on another project soon.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:08 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Moonrise Kingdom - 8.4/10

loved it. Kids were great. Bruce Willis was good too. Wes Anderson is the ****.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:24 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
One of my fav's of all time. It's available on blu-ray in like 5 countries except the US

Youth Movement Tally Ho...
Old
02-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
One of my fav's of all time. It's available on blu-ray in like 5 countries except the US
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/David-Lynch-L...#ht_500wt_1156

Just under $70.00 shipped to the US for the 3 movies. Might not be bad if you like the other 2 Lynch movies as well.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:13 PM
snowden
Man is matter

Life of Pi - decent and worthy of a BP nom, I guess. Really enjoyed Suraj Sharma's performance. The spiritual thing became a little grating by the end. The effects were fantastic, though. Hard to believe that tiger was fake at times.

From Here to Eternity - been watching TCM non-stop for the last week knocking some Oscar winning/nominated movies off my list. I thought this one was really solid. I was especially impressed by Montgomery Clift and Burt Lancaster. Haven't seen much of their stuff but they were very charismatic. And I was surprised at how good Sinatra was. You can tell he put everything he had into that performance.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:16 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:

What is Lynch up to anyway? Will he emulate My Bloody Valentine and go 22 years before his next work?
Inland Empire seemed to be his swan song, although never say never. He's doing a lot of shorts and commissions, plus he released an album last year...I don't think he's ruled out a return to feature films but I think he said he's not going to do it until something inspires him.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:17 PM
Stu Macher

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowden View Post
Life of Pi - decent and worthy of a BP nom, I guess. Really enjoyed Suraj Sharma's performance. The spiritual thing became a little grating by the end. The effects were fantastic, though. Hard to believe that tiger was fake at times.

From Here to Eternity - been watching TCM non-stop for the last week knocking some Oscar winning/nominated movies off my list. I thought this one was really solid. I was especially impressed by Montgomery Clift and Burt Lancaster. Haven't seen much of their stuff but they were very charismatic. And I was surprised at how good Sinatra was. You can tell he put everything he had into that performance.
On Life of Pi: I don't think the spirituality was ever grating. I think it was very well handled, and woven into the film without preaching. It's a part of Pi's life, and I don't think they were trying to force it into your life.

On From Here to Eternity: Yeah, I love that movie.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:36 PM
SB164

Quote:

Glad you ask, because according to a recent New York Times article, "A few months later, I reached Lynch by phone at his hotel room in Paris. Bob Roth had told me that Lynch said he was working on a new script and that it was typically dark. When I asked Lynch about this, he paused, annoyed. “Bobby’s got a big mouth,” he said. I asked him if the script was influenced by his work with T.M., and he said no, absolutely not. This will be a David Lynch picture, he said, adding, “I think people would probably recognize it.” "

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/ma...anted=all&_r=0

Old
02-24-2013, 04:56 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

Isn't David Lynch gonna make Ronnie (or Robbie, I forget) Rocket? I don't blame Lynch for not doing much feature-length work anymore, he has a message which could be viewed as dangerous among the Hollywood scene (The corporate people don't want their form of "individuality" being portrayed as a myth) and so he's never going to find the respect among the studios that he had in the 80's. He probably feels like he can do more with his shorts, music and his work promoting meditation.

I lol'ed at Ebert's criticism of Blue Velvet; he was essentially complaining that Isabella Rossellini played an emotionally damaged individual.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:51 PM
Shareefruck

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - 2.5/5
I thought it was far from perfect but effective anyways.

Why do social misfits protagonists always have to be the smartest guy/girl in the room? When I was in school, this was never the case.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 02-24-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old
02-25-2013, 02:08 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Snitch 1/10

Basically people who should have made this story an action movie tried to make it a drama, and failed miserably

Old
02-25-2013, 08:23 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
Hamlet (1948)

The 2nd instalment Laurence Oliviers Shakespeare trilogy. This is my first direct experience with Hamlet, at least that I remember, so I don't have any prejudges against it for not being on stage or for any possible omissions or changes made for the screen. I really liked this film, my biggest complaint is that the language is hard to follow from time to time as a person with English as a 2nd language and no subtitles. Fortunately it wasn't a problem to follow the narrative. Laurence Olivier has a reputation for being one of the very best actors of all time, for obvious reasons I have never seen him on stage, and I have a limited experience with him in film (The Boys From Brazil and Henry V), but I like what I have seen already. But I found him to out of this world as Hamlet, his delivery and presence is simply out of this world.
Somehow missed this the first time around. I think this is the Hamlet from which all following Hamlets have to be measured. The style may seem a little florid at times, but the performance is commanding. By the way, most people for whom English is their first language frequently struggle with understanding the dialog in Shakespeare. I certainly do.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:30 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Snuck in a couple before Oscar night

Searching for Sugar Man: 7.5/10
A good documentary, even if the "twist" was somewhat spoiled for me and anyone who knew a thing or two about Rodriguez going into the film. While it was an interesting - and pretty crazy - story, I must say I didn't feel the "triumph" or like "standing up and cheering" that the DVD cover promised, but hey. Rodriguez is a great musician and deserves the exposure, and seems like a genuinely nice guy too, so all the better that the accolades are finally reaching him, albeit belatedly.

A Royal Affair: 7/10
This is a better story than it is a movie, if that makes sense. It's a history of Denmark that I was certainly unaware of, and the movie does a good job bringing it on screen (faithfully too, from what I understand). I will say that while the movie did everything well, it didn't do anything exceptionally either. Maybe a little bit too long but the story is clearly told, well-acted, and it certainly makes you think. I was satisfied.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:05 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
The Perks of Being a Wallflower - 2.5/5
I thought it was far from perfect but effective anyways.

Why do social misfits protagonists always have to be the smartest guy/girl in the room? When I was in school, this was never the case.
Because no one even wants to self-identify as a failure just because they're dumb. Then they have no hope. And movies like this are all about people finding one of the characters to relate to.