HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

No commercials on NHL GCL

Old
02-23-2013, 01:26 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
No commercials on NHL GCL

I'm just curious as to why there's no commercials on NHL GCL. You would think that they'd jump on any opportunity to make $, and this is basically just dead space since it just shows nothing.

Last edited by Hockey Team: 02-23-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:51 PM
sh724

vCash: 500
Because they are showing a local/regional networks broadcast of the game. Those companies advertising do not have contracts with the NHL for advertisement and people watching on GCL are not counted in ratings. If you live in Vacouver do you really care how much you can get off a new convertible in Tamp bay? And if you live in Arizona do you care how much you can get a snow blower for in Minnesota?

The NHL would not make any money off of showing the commercials and it takes less bandwidth to show an NHL ad picture than to broadcast commercials.

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:55 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh724 View Post
Because they are showing a local/regional networks broadcast of the game. Those companies advertising do not have contracts with the NHL for advertisement and people watching on GCL are not counted in ratings. If you live in Vacouver do you really care how much you can get off a new convertible in Tamp bay? And if you live in Arizona do you care how much you can get a snow blower for in Minnesota?

The NHL would not make any money off of showing the commercials and it takes less bandwidth to show an NHL ad picture than to broadcast commercials.
I understand that, but I'm not saying they'd have to play the network's commercials. Youtube plays commercials, and so do a lot of other online video sites.

Not saying I want commercials on GCL, just wondering why they don't do it since they could make money off of it.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:59 PM
epo

I've seen commercials while watching some games.

epo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:03 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by epo View Post
I've seen commercials while watching some games.
Me too. It seems they're cut from games broadcast on the NHL Network and/or CBC.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

I'm watching the philly game right now. No commercials, and it's not on VS, NHLN, or CBC

Old
02-23-2013, 02:12 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post
I understand that, but I'm not saying they'd have to play the network's commercials. Youtube plays commercials, and so do a lot of other online video sites.

Not saying I want commercials on GCL, just wondering why they don't do it since they could make money off of it.
It's a good question. Probably isn't that much of a market to advertise to only the people buying the package. Not even MLB.TV has them, outside of ads for like mlb.com Shop, and way more people have subscriptions to that.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Some games do it, some games don't.

It's weird to actually prefer commercials, but I hate the silence. Still better than the stupid music they were using for a while.

On the flip side, MLB.tv is extremely annoying because it's just the same two commercials and then silence every commercial break.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:03 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Some games do it, some games don't.

It's weird to actually prefer commercials, but I hate the silence. Still better than the stupid music they were using for a while.

On the flip side, MLB.tv is extremely annoying because it's just the same two commercials and then silence every commercial break.
Could it be possible that some of the regional networks make GCL play commercials as part of the agreement for the feed? Or maybe the feed is done in a way where GCL's software can't accurately distinguish when it cuts to commercial, so instead of having to deal with any possible issues they just stream the whole thing. (Based on how half assed GCL and the iphone app are, this wouldn't surprise me in the least if it was just laziness that causes this)

Old
02-24-2013, 05:17 AM
Mr. Fancy Pants

I could care less about commercials but why don't they show the pre game, intermission and post game from CBC and TSN?

Mr. Fancy Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:27 AM
Ladra

I miss the commercials on GCL. I hate commercial, but complete silence is way worse.

I understand that it may take some bandwidth. But couldn't they "track ip" and show commercials from the area of the "ip" and atleast make something on it... more than showing a picture and a sleazy tune.

Last edited by Ladra: 02-24-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Ladra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:35 AM
snovalleyhockeyfan

As some of you have noted - some feeds will have them, others won't. From my experience this season (and IIRC, this was probably true last year as well), any feed you get from Sportsnet in Canada has ads/intermission coverage, while all the TSN and CBC games don't. In the U.S., the CSN Philly feed did not carry commercials/intermission yesterday, but when I saw CSN Chicago's feed the other night for the Blackhawks-Vancouver game, they were carrying all that. The Fox Sports feeds I think also are commercials/intermission as well.

The whole issue with lack of commercials/intermissions on GCL, especially for the CBC/TSN games, is probably the only negative that I have with the service, otherwise the service is for the most part excellent with me.

snovalleyhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

I'd prefer that they kept the commercials over nothing. It can be interesting to see the local ads in various cities...better than staring at a screen saver. I'd also like to see local pre and post-game shows, but I'm aware they don't pay for the rights to those.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:46 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

Could it be that the ''bandwith'' comes into equation ? I mean it does costs them something to publish the feed over the net, so maybe the cost vs the potential revenue isn't enough ?

I know that Bruins live radio feed also has some silences during commercial breaks.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:14 AM
Chileiceman

It's the minority of games that don't carry commercials. Most of them do. It depends on what channel is showing the game.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:49 AM
Mr. Fancy Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Could it be that the ''bandwith'' comes into equation ? I mean it does costs them something to publish the feed over the net, so maybe the cost vs the potential revenue isn't enough ?
No, because I've checked the bandwidth being used when watching a game and it's the same during the screensaver for the commercials/intermission as it is for the actual game.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post

I know that Bruins live radio feed also has some silences during commercial breaks.
There's no way bandwidth costs factor into the equation here. Any potential revenue, even if they got 1% of normal advertising rates, would far exceed the minimal bandwidth expenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fancy Pants View Post
No, because I've checked the bandwidth being used when watching a game and it's the same during the screensaver for the commercials/intermission as it is for the actual game.
Heh, this doesn't surprise me that much though, since it is just a video player on the page, and in order for a video player to show something it takes the same amount of bandwidth regardless of what's on the screen. The bandwidth savings would be minimal anyway. Keep in mind these companies pay for a line of a certain speed, regardless of how much actual traffic there is per month.

Old
02-25-2013, 07:11 PM
bosshogg18

Quote:

I care. I love seeing different commercials, especially odd ball Canadian ones like poutine at Wendy's or roll up the rim to win at Tim Horton's.

bosshogg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:16 PM
Clamshells

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshogg18 View Post
I care. I love seeing different commercials, especially odd ball Canadian ones like poutine at Wendy's or roll up the rim to win at Tim Horton's.
me too. i had no idea there were so many "hey look we're the armed forces" or "get your armed forces insurance!!" ads in america until i started watching gamecenter.

Clamshells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:47 PM
jntadt22

What I've noticed and I could be wrong. If I watch GCL on my Apple TV, I get commercials at the breaks and the intermission stuff, which I REALLY like. When I'm not at home, and I watch it on my iPad, I don't get any of the dead space stuff. I'm not sure if I'm just catching the 'sometimes' that other people have, and it's just the few times that I'm at home and watch it then or what. I tend to like the commercials as well, but just so I can see how stupid they are!!

jntadt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:04 PM
Djp

Quote:

I get Center Ice and have noticed this this year. I have had it since after the lost season at least.

I have always seen commercials.

Now I dont see the local commercials.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:46 AM
Mr. Fancy Pants

Watching the Tor-Phi game on the TSN feed tonight on GCL, there was no commercials or intermission for the first part but then suddenly half-way through the 2nd intermission the intermission and commercials started being shown. They even showed Sports Centre for a bit after the game. Maybe someone flipped the wrong switch? I don't get why they don't do it all the time.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:03 AM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1100
Never realized so many people prefer commercials over silence. That's disturbing.

Anything to avoid American commercials. They give me severe culture shock. And I'm an American.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Daltner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
Never realized so many people prefer commercials over silence. That's disturbing.
It's not about the commercials but the intermission sequences from CBC and TSN. At least for me. Takes so much away from the atmosphere on a Saturday night.

Daltner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:19 PM
IME

vCash: 50
There has to be some sort of contractual limitation with either the regional broadcasters or their advertisers. Why else would the league not jump at the opportunity to broadcast more ads from league-wide sponsors (Coors, Geico, etc)

The only upside I see from not running league-wide ads is the eventual repetitiveness wearing on people. I watched a few games on NBA's package, and seeing the same stupid NBA.com christmas jersey promo wore thin pretty quick.

IME is offline   Reply With Quote